People Like Us - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

People Like Us Reviews

½ September 6, 2017
Many reasons this film didn't work its charms on me: Chris Pine, the oh-so-typical forced Hollywood movie moments, and the cryptically weird character played by Michelle Pfeifer. All of this just didn't add up to anything compelling and the filmmaking style was bland and forgettable. It's not a bad movie, it's just so average.
August 26, 2017
I hadn't heard much about this. Then I taped it and kept seeing it on my ready-to-go list and I couldn't remember what the hell it was. But now that I've seen it, I guess I'd have to call it a hidden gem. it worked for me. Nice thoughtful yarn in the category of relationships and family. 7.7 out of 10.
April 26, 2017
I loved this movie. It was slow, but I like Pine and Banks so gave it a shot. Pfeiffer was an extra bonus. The kid was likeable too. I cried at the end. It was so sweet and explained everything! You actually wished you had a dad that cared that much.
½ February 27, 2017
If you look up "Average Film" in a movie dictionary it will list this movie. It has emotion at times, but not enough of it. It's not terrible, but it's definitely nothing special.
½ October 29, 2016
good movie overall and interesting story based on a true story. Good cast and character development as we learn more about them throughout the movie
½ July 16, 2016
Ok, I love me some Elizabeth Banks, but this was a bit disappointing. 2.5/5
½ May 30, 2016
Starts off decently, but turns into sentimental, hard to believe fluff by the end.
April 3, 2016
Fairly okay family drama about a famous record producer who dies suddenly leaves an unexpected will to a daughter his son didn't know about
January 15, 2016
Raw, real and heartfelt
January 4, 2016
I love Chris Pine. I love Elizabeth Banks. This was a decent movie because of them.
November 4, 2015
People Like Us is a movie with a great storyline about family. I found it to be rather slow though, it was difficult to get into it. It got better and better towards the end, I just wished it had hooked me to the screen from the very beginning.
½ November 1, 2015
Sweet film with a likeable cast.
½ October 27, 2015
very good; i liked it a lot. i'm surprised that the critic's rating isn't higher, actually. the story is good and the cast is great -- if you're in the mood for a drama, i'd recommend it.
August 19, 2015
saw it thought it was cute
August 9, 2015
a very beautiful film about love and family all in one!! made me tear up at the very end!! :')
August 4, 2015
The thing about the "black list" - an annual compilation of admired but unproduced scripts - is that "unproduced" does not always mean "undiscovered gem." Despite a widely admired script, People Like Us is just such an exception that proves the rule. For all its good intentions, this is sudsy melodrama with too many contrivances, and too few genuinely earned moments. Like many of these exercises, the film's weaknesses would be more glaring with lesser actors and worse direction, but an A list cast and good direction can't solve the central problems. Chris Pine has real star potential, but this isn't a great role; similarly for Elizabeth Banks. Michelle Pfeiffer is more of a sure thing, but she can't redeem the film's absurdities. What's left is a muddle, the outlines of a compelling family drama that never really compels.
July 15, 2015
An unapologetic chick flick with all the trimmings, but at least done with some intelligence, and with some respect for their audience. The story of how two families come to discover they've the same father is not overly convoluted, which is to say, simple, but the performances of the leads are committed enough to carry the day.
May 22, 2015
Chris Pine and Elizabeth Banks really lift this unspectacular script and make it into a quality film. It does pull out some petty moves in order to try and strike your emotions though.
March 19, 2015
Eizabeth Banks and Chris Pine are incredible in this beautiful drama-comedy. I wish the always horrendous Olivia "Wilde" was not in here. Thank the Lord it only has small part. Should not even be listed on cover.
March 8, 2015
MY FAVORITE MOVIE. I am a guy who likes a number of different genres of movies. Hoosiers was my favorite until I saw this. This movie was wonderful. Great story and performances. Every place I have read critiques of this movie, a few don't like it, a few kinda like it, and a lot LOVE it. It's really nice to see how many people LOVE it. As a matter of fact, I lent my copy out to 12 people I know. 2 thought it was fairly good, and the other 10 loved it. An absolute gem!