People Like Us - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

People Like Us Reviews

February 5, 2018
Oh I loved this so much!
January 25, 2018
This movie is contrived and full of overly melodramatic flares but is redeemed by the excellent performances of Chris Pine, Elizabeth Banks and Michael D'Addario.
January 7, 2018
People Like Us (NOT, TV's This is Us) is an engaging, enjoyable drama/comedy movie about a fast-talking salesman (Chris Pine) discovering when his father dies he has a sister (an appealing Elizabeth Banks). A strong script, a good story, a smart-ass kid
who gets into trouble doesn't deny a certain sweetness. Most critics didn't <3 it when it came out in 2012 but I sure did! Michelle Pfieffer is boffo as Pine's mother. I caught it on late night TV a few days past and recorded it.
November 10, 2017
(5.0 out of 6)
People Like Us
When we are good at what we do when we see where something's are going to make others see where things are going when business is about going places. When we can't always see where everything is going, when it's a costly mistake we are going another direction unemployment with we don't do something about it. When we don't see where we are going when we don't care, we don't see but others see we are going darker our life. When we see where other things are going when it's natural when it's death in the family. When we wish weren't going to some places like back home we try to make an excuse, when going places requires us to follow the strict rules. When others see we need to go to someplaces when family is important. When we know where others are going when they see they brought good one to see us. When we see where others are going in there life when it's away from us. When we see others been away to many places when they were going places in their prime of their life to see it all and live it all being a big shot music entertainer. When we see going places requires fast vehicles when going fast is in our blood to enjoy the open road & thrill. When others knew where they were going to give something sentimental to those we know we are not going to see. When what we see we think is going to us is really going to someone else, when we got to get going other places we are paying a dead man's last wishes to go.

When we see where others are going when they are troublemakers. When we do see why others have us going to strange places when we see they are going through alot to deal with it by themselves. When we see where others wish to go but we are going out of our way to help, we know going some places is harder without the support.

When we don't know where others are going, we see they are heading towards darker roads when they don't really see family as a future. When we see were others go when they are in darker lonely roads when it's seclusion when music & drinking gets us going places only rockstars go. When we see where others like going the control seat when they like being in charge. When getting people to open up we need to get people to get going on what they think of one another and everyone else. When we see others are in a rush to get going when our company is not wanted. When we can see what gets others going when trouble finds our way. When we gotta get going on getting to know some people we need to meet when we don't have much time and got to bget going back to our normal life.

When what gets others going is what gets us going when we see some people are not as bad to give them a tip through life. When we see got to go when others are going crazy over us not going to address some issues. When we need to get going on why we are here but realize we are not going nowhere when we are not ready to leave. When we know going through hard times sucks when we lived an abandoned life to make good and bad decisions that gets us going to wierd places of rock bottom. When other places people go are deeper when drugs gets us going into wierd places too. When going places is hard when we deal with alot of bigger shit when we are on top.

When going gets tough, the tough get going when we have alot to deal with in life. When not everything goes our way to make sure we are going to make it up or make it on time or make it next time when balancing all of life is hard. When going out is even hard when there is not much chance to do so. When it doesn't take alot to get us going when we are used to holding onto a little when we have little memories and momentos that get us going about somepeople. When we see where others have been going on secret outtings when they tried balancing two separate life's but it wasn't going to work. When other things get us going when imagining how others lived and how we lived to know we were never going to see them or ask anything from them when they were going to hate us. When what gets us going is a change of scenery when we need to get out and have fun. When we are going through some things we check up on people to make sure they are doing alright when going through things alone gets us going to dark places we shouldn't go alone. When we don't know what is going on when somethings people do and not do is not normal to be alarmed. When somethings we know what's going on we get out in the open. When what we get out in the open we know gets us going when emotions errupt when we they are bound to happen. When we see what is important to get going on with real life when work doesn't matter or anything else when family matters. When what we don't want to go when know we must let go when we have to get going on what doesn't belong here when they have another life to get going to.

When letting go of the past is hard that we can't be bought off, but can let others go in whom we don't want to deprive. When others need to be going places that we ought to be going with them by their side, we know we are going to be dealing with difficult stuff but at least we are not going to be alone. When others are going places we are sure glad they are close by when being close is what family is all about. When what we go through, we know going through loss, rejection, acceptance, and hardship we value what it brings when going through highs and lows reveals a side to us we never knew existed until it is shown to us. When others need to get going on with our life & family to get going on knowing more about our life and family. When we see other reasons to get going but can't go anywhere else when going into things is scary when it's the unknown, but it's worth exploring when we are not doing it alone. When we were meant not to let go and be going in the same direction and places when others wanted us to be close.
½ September 6, 2017
Many reasons this film didn't work its charms on me: Chris Pine, the oh-so-typical forced Hollywood movie moments, and the cryptically weird character played by Michelle Pfeifer. All of this just didn't add up to anything compelling and the filmmaking style was bland and forgettable. It's not a bad movie, it's just so average.
August 26, 2017
I hadn't heard much about this. Then I taped it and kept seeing it on my ready-to-go list and I couldn't remember what the hell it was. But now that I've seen it, I guess I'd have to call it a hidden gem. it worked for me. Nice thoughtful yarn in the category of relationships and family. 7.7 out of 10.
April 26, 2017
I loved this movie. It was slow, but I like Pine and Banks so gave it a shot. Pfeiffer was an extra bonus. The kid was likeable too. I cried at the end. It was so sweet and explained everything! You actually wished you had a dad that cared that much.
½ February 27, 2017
If you look up "Average Film" in a movie dictionary it will list this movie. It has emotion at times, but not enough of it. It's not terrible, but it's definitely nothing special.
½ October 29, 2016
good movie overall and interesting story based on a true story. Good cast and character development as we learn more about them throughout the movie
½ July 16, 2016
Ok, I love me some Elizabeth Banks, but this was a bit disappointing. 2.5/5
½ May 30, 2016
Starts off decently, but turns into sentimental, hard to believe fluff by the end.
April 3, 2016
Fairly okay family drama about a famous record producer who dies suddenly leaves an unexpected will to a daughter his son didn't know about
January 15, 2016
Raw, real and heartfelt
January 4, 2016
I love Chris Pine. I love Elizabeth Banks. This was a decent movie because of them.
November 4, 2015
People Like Us is a movie with a great storyline about family. I found it to be rather slow though, it was difficult to get into it. It got better and better towards the end, I just wished it had hooked me to the screen from the very beginning.
½ November 1, 2015
Sweet film with a likeable cast.
½ October 27, 2015
very good; i liked it a lot. i'm surprised that the critic's rating isn't higher, actually. the story is good and the cast is great -- if you're in the mood for a drama, i'd recommend it.
August 19, 2015
saw it thought it was cute
August 9, 2015
a very beautiful film about love and family all in one!! made me tear up at the very end!! :')
August 4, 2015
The thing about the "black list" - an annual compilation of admired but unproduced scripts - is that "unproduced" does not always mean "undiscovered gem." Despite a widely admired script, People Like Us is just such an exception that proves the rule. For all its good intentions, this is sudsy melodrama with too many contrivances, and too few genuinely earned moments. Like many of these exercises, the film's weaknesses would be more glaring with lesser actors and worse direction, but an A list cast and good direction can't solve the central problems. Chris Pine has real star potential, but this isn't a great role; similarly for Elizabeth Banks. Michelle Pfeiffer is more of a sure thing, but she can't redeem the film's absurdities. What's left is a muddle, the outlines of a compelling family drama that never really compels.