People Like Us - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

People Like Us Reviews

½ July 16, 2016
Ok, I love me some Elizabeth Banks, but this was a bit disappointing. 2.5/5
½ May 30, 2016
Starts off decently, but turns into sentimental, hard to believe fluff by the end.
April 3, 2016
Fairly okay family drama about a famous record producer who dies suddenly leaves an unexpected will to a daughter his son didn't know about
January 15, 2016
Raw, real and heartfelt
January 4, 2016
I love Chris Pine. I love Elizabeth Banks. This was a decent movie because of them.
November 4, 2015
People Like Us is a movie with a great storyline about family. I found it to be rather slow though, it was difficult to get into it. It got better and better towards the end, I just wished it had hooked me to the screen from the very beginning.
½ November 1, 2015
Sweet film with a likeable cast.
½ October 27, 2015
very good; i liked it a lot. i'm surprised that the critic's rating isn't higher, actually. the story is good and the cast is great -- if you're in the mood for a drama, i'd recommend it.
August 19, 2015
saw it thought it was cute
August 9, 2015
a very beautiful film about love and family all in one!! made me tear up at the very end!! :')
August 4, 2015
The thing about the "black list" - an annual compilation of admired but unproduced scripts - is that "unproduced" does not always mean "undiscovered gem." Despite a widely admired script, People Like Us is just such an exception that proves the rule. For all its good intentions, this is sudsy melodrama with too many contrivances, and too few genuinely earned moments. Like many of these exercises, the film's weaknesses would be more glaring with lesser actors and worse direction, but an A list cast and good direction can't solve the central problems. Chris Pine has real star potential, but this isn't a great role; similarly for Elizabeth Banks. Michelle Pfeiffer is more of a sure thing, but she can't redeem the film's absurdities. What's left is a muddle, the outlines of a compelling family drama that never really compels.
July 15, 2015
An unapologetic chick flick with all the trimmings, but at least done with some intelligence, and with some respect for their audience. The story of how two families come to discover they've the same father is not overly convoluted, which is to say, simple, but the performances of the leads are committed enough to carry the day.
May 22, 2015
Chris Pine and Elizabeth Banks really lift this unspectacular script and make it into a quality film. It does pull out some petty moves in order to try and strike your emotions though.
March 19, 2015
Eizabeth Banks and Chris Pine are incredible in this beautiful drama-comedy. I wish the always horrendous Olivia "Wilde" was not in here. Thank the Lord it only has small part. Should not even be listed on cover.
March 8, 2015
MY FAVORITE MOVIE. I am a guy who likes a number of different genres of movies. Hoosiers was my favorite until I saw this. This movie was wonderful. Great story and performances. Every place I have read critiques of this movie, a few don't like it, a few kinda like it, and a lot LOVE it. It's really nice to see how many people LOVE it. As a matter of fact, I lent my copy out to 12 people I know. 2 thought it was fairly good, and the other 10 loved it. An absolute gem!
January 30, 2015
was a very touching movie about family..
January 29, 2015
F it! I like a good mellow drama. Some great acting in this one.
January 15, 2015
I don't think that I'll remember that I saw this in two months.
½ December 31, 2014
This film was not that bad as I had expected by looking at the stupid critics reviews. I enjoyed everyone's performance. The main thing it lacked was a good story I mean I know it was heavily inspired by true events but the execution could have been way better. The kid was annoying as shit and I wanted to a fly kick to his face. But pine and banks are what worked really well together. Overall from pine to banks this is a very good film and would recommend if you wanna feel like "Awwww" at the end or show it to your girlfriend so you can sleep afterwards...
½ December 28, 2014
A smart screenplay, great acting from all around, and some warm cinematography all can be found in Alex Kurtzman's impressive debut.