Phone Booth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Phone Booth Reviews

½ April 22, 2017
It's refreshing to see a movie in real-time and with such limited setting. Reminds me of Hitchcock. Apparently he already had that same idea with a whole movie set in a phone booth, just never realised it.
April 14, 2017
Ha , very dated. Fast and tense, but pretty campy and ludicrous. It was entertaining though, amusing even. Good but not great, though Farrell put on a good performance. A guilty pleasure.
½ April 11, 2017
One of Joel's most interesting works.
½ March 7, 2017
Amazing that an entire movie can be this captivating with practically only one long scene. Rating: 7 / 10
½ February 19, 2017
I had no idea what to expect with this one, and didn't have the highest expectations by any means, but when it was finished I was very much impressed. For a movie that didn't stray a block away from the phone booth where Stew stood for the duration of the film, it was intense and caught your full attention, with an urge to know what happens next. It's intense in the way that out shooter talks and takes charge of the situation, with that calm and deep voice over the phone, and the excellent acting of fear and stress and helplessness of Stew by Colin Farrell makes it really deep and watchable. This movie would have been very hard to make perfect, and somehow they got it pretty much as perfect as it could have been made. The acting is excellent, Colin Farrell steals the show, everyone else is simply supporting, and the shooter is mysterious and calm and witted, everything a good bad guy should be. It's not fast paced, but not slow by any means, it's the right pace without to much action and Is generally done in a way that is believable and intriguing. The ending Is really good too, had no idea what the outcome would be until Stew was in the ambulance, then knew what was going to happen, and it was a very good way to end a good story, and leaves a little for use to think about in terms of what would happen if the story went on, but in a good way. Anyways very well done, a hard subject to get right and hard to make I'm sure, so a thumps up to the director and actors who did a great job, was then who really made this movie what it is after all
½ February 7, 2017
Really interesting and quick paced film that will keep your attention 'till the end. I feel like Colin Farrell is one of the most underrated actors working today.
½ February 6, 2017
This wasn't bad. Pretty intense. Good acting.
February 1, 2017
This film was great. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. Considering it all takes place in one area this is really entertaining
½ January 28, 2017
Phone Booth will always be one of the greatest suspense thrillers that I'll have ever seen. And it's one of those movies where the best character in the movie is actually the maniac, with a perfect chilling voice performed by the great Kiefer Sutherland. It's in general a very captivating, suspenseful and very bone chilling movie. Recommended !!
½ January 15, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 6, 2017
Never saw the beginning, but what I did see was very good.
½ December 26, 2016
It has consistent intrigue and Colin Farrell's performance remains engaging throughout, but Phone Booth falters from a subpar script and interesting (if not always successful) editing choices.
December 5, 2016
Fun and simple thriller
½ August 21, 2016
omg. I can't believe so many people-sheep rated this movie as high as they did. Terrible. the plot is lame and predictable. Schumacher tries to be clever but it frequently comes off as very cliché. Kiefer Sutherland's dialogue is lame and many times laughable, as I found myself chuckling out loud at his many sarcastic and corny one liners. They could have at least made his voice sound more eerie and ominous by presenting it as if it were coming across the telephone line instead of making it sound like a self-talking, self-righteous narrative. Very cookie cutter and very predictable.
July 28, 2016
***
It's not nearly as good as Locke, another movie set in one location relying purely on dialogue, but Phone Booth did it first, and I've got to give it credit for that.
July 18, 2016
Everything that a contained micro-thriller should be.
jamrcla
June 29, 2016
A film set in a phone booth 99% of the movie shouldn't be as gripping and fast paced as it was, A simple plot and a great performance from Colin Farrell makes this film great fun and quite scary, A fun film that should've got more praise.
½ June 20, 2016
Phonebooth is thrilling accomplishes the objective of keeping you on the edge of your seat. Acting is convincing and so are the setting and other technical factors. the problem here is the story itself. It's hard to believe itself and has plenty of plot holes. More questions than answers at the end. Let's forget for a second that the caller is basically Rusty Nail from Joy Ride (and that the end isn't exactly the same as Joy Ride too). It was pretty lucky for him that people kept showing up for the plot to continue, but was his motivaiton again? Seems pretty far fetched going through all the trouble he went through. And how did he know every detail of people's lives? Even more important, how did he manage to escape at the end? He was completely surrounded. I know he was an evil mastermind but I call bullshit.
June 8, 2016
Eine Telefonzelle irgendwo in New York. Der egoistische und labmachen. Als er gehen will, klingelt das Telefon und er geht ran. Auf der anderen Seite der Leitung hört er eine Stimme, die ihm befiehlt, wenn er auflegt, wird er erschossen!
Eigentlich eine völlig einfache Geschichte. Der Film kommt ohne überladenen Special Effekte aus und das Geschehen bleibt wirklich auf Colin Farrell fokussiert.
Diese Rolle ist auch auf Farrell zugeschnitten. Hier kann man wirklich vereinzelte Facetten, seines Könnens schon sehen.
Als Gegenpart und Hoffnungsschimmer ist hier Forest Whitaker. Er versucht hier wirklich, dem Opfer zu helfen und irgendwie den Scharfschützen zu finden. Der Scharfschütze oder beziehungsweise nur die Stimme, wird hier von Kiefer Sutherland gespielt. Auch ein guter Schachzug, denn man hört wirklich nur die kalte Stimme und das verrückte Lachen von Sutherland, was der Geschichte noch mehr Spannung gibt.
Regisseur Joel Schumacher, der eigentlich gerne Genrefilme macht und dabei zwischendurch gerne übertreibt, ist hier mit Phone Booth" ein kleiner und kurzweiliger Film geworden.
Die Spannung liegt hier richtig in der Luft und man möchte nicht, mit der Haut von Farrell wechseln. Stellt euch mal vor, ihr wäret dort in dieser Telefonzelle und man hat euch im Visier. Was wollt ihr machen?
Fazit: Ein kleiner, feiner und gemeiner Film. So kann Spannung auch Spass machen!