Phone Booth Reviews

• Sep 21, 2020

Good movie, moved fast even with no location change! I recommend it.

Good movie, moved fast even with no location change! I recommend it.

• Aug 31, 2020

Suspenseful for such a simple concept. Joel Schumacher directs his wicked thriller Phone Booth (2003) with a gleeful sadism for punishing the viewer. His onslaught of noise, uncertainty, and pressure builds an intense atmosphere almost immediately into Phone Booth. Schumacher gets a lot of mileage out of one location with this dingy phone booth on a New York street. You are never bored for 81 brief minutes thanks to Mark Stevens' quickly paced editings and erratic cuts. I enjoy the camp of seeing dated split screens that let you see what the police are doing as we focus in on the booth. Schumacher wastes no time in getting straight to the thriller scenario and keeps your attention with engaging directorial choices. Colin Farrell is the real reason to see Phone Booth as he carries the movie to greatness with his commanding lead performance as a shady, cheating publicist named Stu Shepard. He's perfectly detestable and sleazy, then increasingly sympathetic and emotional in part due to Farrell's genuine acting. He's so natural, sweaty, worried, erratic, broken, and vulnerable in Phone Booth. Farrell is basically performing an entire play by himself here. Phone Booth contains a fairly underrated Colin Farrell role. Forest Whitaker is authentic as Captain Ramey desperately trying to diffuse the situation and figure out what is going on with reasonable confusion and skepticism. He feels like an actually smart detective in Phone Booth instead of a foolish law enforcer like so many thrillers. Richard T. Jones has a great presence as Sergeant Cole alongside Whitaker. Radha Mitchell is breathtaking as Colin Farrell's gorgeous, faithful wife Kelly Shepard. She's very natural, empathetic, and concerned as she genuinely portrays Kelly's fears and loyalty. Mitchell is certainly an underrated actress as I've adored her in every role I see her in, honestly. Similarly, the adorable Katie Holmes is very entertaining as Farrell's potential affair partner Pam McFadden. I like Holmes as an actress as she always sounds so warm and likable. Arian Waring Ash is lovely as the Goth stripper Corky hilariously coming to the aid of her girl Felicia. Paula Jai Parker is a riot as the enraged and offended stripper Felicia. Tia Texada is fun as the other girl Asia as well. Josh Pais is great as the indignant Mario, while Keith Nobbs is entertaining as the awkward, eager intern Adam. John Enos III is ridiculous and frightening as the hired muscle for the girls named Leon. Can you believe Ben Foster cameos as the white rapper Big Q in a funny quick part early on in Phone Booth. I think Jared Leto has a fast cameo also if you can spot him. Larry Cohen's script is pretty brilliant and poignant. He critiques society's morals through this corrupt, cheating PR guy with a demented shooter's idealistic standards of absolute morality. Larry Cohen's writing has a sense of realistic storytelling with an exaggerated hatred and disturbing malice to his clever words. Cohen takes you on a mental journey with sniper's insanely cold logic and playful cruelty. Kiefer Sutherland delivers one of cinema's greatest voice overs with his distinctly deep and chilling tone as The Caller in Phone Booth. Kiefer's killer cameo at the end is as riveting and shocking as when I first saw Phone Booth back in 2003. He's calm and cool for such an unforgettably dark and cunning villain. I still think Christopher Nolan may have gotten inspiration for The Joker's ambulance ruse in The Dark Knight from Phone Booth's excellent finale. I highly recommend Phone Booth just to see Kiefer, honestly. Matthew Libatique's cinematography is intriguing as he forces certain perspectives based on curious angles in wide shots everywhere. His creative camera work hides the sniper at all times, yet gives you a good feel of the surroundings. I think some of his shakier shots don't hold up as well, but Phone Booth's in the moment visual style works for what Joel Schumacher needs here. Harry Gregson-Williams uses a neat blend of genres and sounds for Phone Booth's score. I think it feels tense and modern for an additional gripping element to Phone Booth. Daniel Orlandi's costumes are so 2000's that it's hilarious. I love Colin Farrell's purple suit and the Goth stipper's fishnet outfit. Both Radha Mitchell and Katie Holmes' costumes are very cute too. Joel Schumacher always has that flamboyant flair to his characters' costumes. In all, Phones Booth is a classic thriller worth seeing once at least. It's still suspenseful and cool despite some dated effects and sillier moments.

• Aug 30, 2020

If i watched this movie on 2002, may be it will worth a watch. In 2020 era, It is not a worthy watch. Watched the whole movie on 3X speed. The sin he committed is absolutely bullshit. The Caller killed 2 guys just for changing a person who tries to sleep with other women and making lies for his profit. Why he innocent people just for a single person. The logic dies here. I am sorry to say that I have brain.

• Aug 25, 2020

Don't make a joke phone call

Don't make a joke phone call

• Jul 03, 2020

Colin Farrell is effective in this film which suffers from twist overload and a horrible final half hour. Could have been so much better.

• Jul 01, 2020

Appropriately intense and well acted. The idea that the film takes place in such a small space and is still so good is a credit to all involved.

• Jun 25, 2020

It has some flaws, but Phone Booth makes for an entertaining, well-paced, and pretty intense "contained thriller" with impressive performances from the protagonist Colin Farrell and antagonist Kiefer Sutherland.

• Jun 04, 2020

Kiefer Sutherland's best movie ever... and you don't even see him! The writing of his part is grade A and his voicing of it absolutely superb... making the movie. Farrell also plays a great part And the dynamic between the 2 make this one of my all time favorite movies. It doesn't even matter that the whole movie takes place around a single phone booth!

• May 18, 2020

This movie isn't too flashy but it is good and a fun movie to watch. Who doesn't remember this movie back in the day.

• May 16, 2020

Very fun and tense. Keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next. The plot itself has holes for sure, but that doesn't distract from the tension that the movie holds.