Pretty in Pink - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pretty in Pink Reviews

½ October 20, 2016
A fine period film, but the storyline is basic.
½ September 4, 2016
Movie night with Iris.

All the cool kids pick this as their favourite Brat Pack movie, which is interesting as it has no discernible plot. And the cool soundtrack is on mute. That said Ringwald shines, it's amusing; and it moves along at a decent pace.
½ August 12, 2016
8/11/2016: An ok 80's rom com. Not many laughs though.
July 21, 2016
Smarter and funnier than most of teen comedies, Pretty in Pink depicts life in high school with heart and wit, featuring solid performances from Molly Ringwald and Jon Cryer.
½ July 1, 2016
One last collaboration for John Hughes and Molly Ringwald, whose creative partnership dissolved after this film. Somewhat softer and more self-serious than the preceding teen epics Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club, it tackles social cliques and classism from various perspectives. Ringwald and leading man Andrew McCarthy, akin to Romeo and Juliet, find their young relationship stressed by the negative influence of friends who insist they find someone closer to their own status. There really isn't much sparkle to the pairing, though, apart from a few awkward make-out scenes, and they both come off as especially wet noodles in comparison to the vibrant, brash supporting cast. Jon Cryer is most memorable of these as Duckie, a flamboyant mod who's been carrying a torch for Ringwald all his life, and nearly steals the film with an abrupt dance/lip-sync number just before everything gets overly angsty. Most of the third act is wasted on hand-wringing and moping, though, and the ending (changed at the last minute, much to Hughes's chagrin) feels disingenuous even if it does make a better fit for the movie's theme. The window dressings are drowned in '80s flavor, too, from the appropriately synthy soundtrack to the Halloween-grade costume choices. Looks like everyone at this school was either Don Johnson, Sid Vicious or Morrissey.
May 13, 2016
watched it many times
April 30, 2016
Pretty in every direction it takes
April 25, 2016
Classic 80's. Good high school movie. Loved Molly.
½ April 14, 2016
Let down by an unconvincing ending. Strong, fearless Molly Ringwald character who learns not to be ashamed of her poverty. I think the ending comprimises that integrity. Also, question need for Jon Cryer character to physically attack James Spader character. And is Andrew McCarthy's character right when he says at the end that Spader knows within himself that he is a
heel? I doubt it.
February 19, 2016
Andi should of stayed with Ducky instead of chicken Blaine aka Blender.
February 18, 2016
I watched it just to say that I did and aside from The Breakfast Club I remain unimpressed with Molly Ringwald and her acting.
February 3, 2016
Famously, the end of this movie was changed after test audiences didn't think Ringwald's character should end up with Duckie. Maybe the greatest example of test audiences being a complete waste of time. Otherwise, this supremely 80s teen dramedy is a melodramatic good time.
January 6, 2016
A sweet coming-of-age story with an adorable sense of humor, an awesome soundtrack and some superb performances by Stanton, Cryer and Potts, and if the end may not please you (like it did please me), the sincere way the movie shows the insecurities of youth definitely will.
½ November 4, 2015
The stars of the show is the supporting trio of Cryer, Potts and Spader
½ October 24, 2015
Not the greatest john hughes film, but it was decent
October 16, 2015
Pretty in Pink perhaps illustrates why I hate the teen movie genre. The main characters act like immature brats who know nothing about the world outside high school romance, and if you hated Jon Cryer's character in Two and a Half Men before seeing this, his character in this film is no better. Some have referred to this film as essentially the Brat Pack take on Cinderella, but such an assessment couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, if it is Cinderella, then it's passed through a typically obnoxious John Hughes filter. The writing is quite hackneyed, but then again, what more could I expect from a typical 80's teen movie? In this regard, the film's main problem is that the characters are very unconvincing. I fail to see how a rich boy would even be remotely interested in a poor girl like the one played by Molly Ringwald (to be fair, pretty much everyone went after her back in the day). To be fair, the film does have good production values and an even better selection of music, but that doesn't make up for a teen "comedy" with no laughs whatsoever. If it was funny back then, then it must have aged terribly, like most films of the genre. The teen movie itself may as well be a leprous neanderthal limping as it clings hopelessly to life, as illustrated unfailingly by not only this movie, but also John Hughes' many copycats. To be fair, there are films like it that are actually good, but this film is little more than a badly aged and embarrassingly dated relic the 80's.
½ October 16, 2015
Just didn't grab me. I probably shouldn't have waited till I was 39 to see it for the first time.
October 5, 2015
I had more fun with the characters of Duckie and the other female record shop clerk with the constantly changing fashion looks, than I did with the main characters. Molly Ringwalds relationship with the rich kid always felt a less believable. James spader makes for a good elitist highschooler though.
½ September 26, 2015
A classic that should be one.
½ September 19, 2015
great concept of the movie