Pretty in Pink - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pretty in Pink Reviews

April 21, 2017
On one hand, Andrew McCarthy is pure collyrium. On the other hand, a few moments of palpable emotion, and pure sweetness and innocence.
½ March 22, 2017
Perfectly acceptable John Hughes movie, and I would have given it a higher score if it wasn't for the morally fucked ending. So basically, if you're poor, you're suppose to let rich people treat you however they want? And screw the people that were loyal to you since the beginning? Kind of whack in that aspect. But it was a nice journey. Good concept, decent execution.
March 11, 2017
One of my all time favourite John Hughes' movies. Molly Ringwald is Cinderella with tude. This movie of teenage angst with its solid cast and soundtrack is iconic 80's.
February 9, 2017
Pretty in Pink is lacking in comparison to 'The Breakfast Club' and 'Sixteen Candles' as the script is fairly typical and the conflict rang false, but it is such a lovable movie that I enjoyed it a lot nevertheless. Molly Ringwald is as likable as ever, the third act was so wonderful and the movie is well acted and made while consistently being endearing in its humor and characters.
½ December 11, 2016
Now this here is a teenage romantic comedy. From one angle it might seem superficial and cerebral because the characters lead ordinary lives in an ordinary setting. It might seem childish but to me it taught me a lot and it definitely has a lot of deep lessons in it. Every character has dealt with rejection at some point in their lives and it amazes me. It amazes me how people deal with rejection and how much it changes them. Because they are hurt. Because the process is never easy. I've seen this in myself and a lot of people. Rejection is not easy. I am sorry you have been rejected and just like the movie suggests, Think of the prom as life, sometimes you just gotta go through it. You will find someone. Maybe not like how it depicted in the movie, but you'll definitely find someone. You also have to be honest with yourself if you are moving on or not. This movie is just showing ordinary relationships at work, but each one is so different. And I dont believe each one of them is to blame or should be ashamed of what they are. An hour ago I was ashamed I see myself in Duckie but now I am even more comfortable with myself because I have some hope I will find someone to click with. URGGHHH SO MANY FEELS ANYWAY GREAT MOVIE <3
December 2, 2016
All time teen classic. A must see. Also see The Breakfast Club and Some Kind Of Wonderful.
November 25, 2016
A timeless John Hughes classic about boy trouble and social structure of money in a high school that still resonates endearingly with precocious teenagers and adults young at heart.
½ October 23, 2016
Nice 80s entry in a teen oriented genre with smart dialogue.
½ October 20, 2016
A fine period film, but the storyline is basic.
½ September 4, 2016
Movie night with Iris.

All the cool kids pick this as their favourite Brat Pack movie, which is interesting as it has no discernible plot. And the cool soundtrack is on mute. That said Ringwald shines, it's amusing; and it moves along at a decent pace.
½ August 12, 2016
8/11/2016: An ok 80's rom com. Not many laughs though.
July 21, 2016
Smarter and funnier than most of teen comedies, Pretty in Pink depicts life in high school with heart and wit, featuring solid performances from Molly Ringwald and Jon Cryer.
½ July 1, 2016
One last collaboration for John Hughes and Molly Ringwald, whose creative partnership dissolved after this film. Somewhat softer and more self-serious than the preceding teen epics Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club, it tackles social cliques and classism from various perspectives. Ringwald and leading man Andrew McCarthy, akin to Romeo and Juliet, find their young relationship stressed by the negative influence of friends who insist they find someone closer to their own status. There really isn't much sparkle to the pairing, though, apart from a few awkward make-out scenes, and they both come off as especially wet noodles in comparison to the vibrant, brash supporting cast. Jon Cryer is most memorable of these as Duckie, a flamboyant mod who's been carrying a torch for Ringwald all his life, and nearly steals the film with an abrupt dance/lip-sync number just before everything gets overly angsty. Most of the third act is wasted on hand-wringing and moping, though, and the ending (changed at the last minute, much to Hughes's chagrin) feels disingenuous even if it does make a better fit for the movie's theme. The window dressings are drowned in '80s flavor, too, from the appropriately synthy soundtrack to the Halloween-grade costume choices. Looks like everyone at this school was either Don Johnson, Sid Vicious or Morrissey.
May 13, 2016
watched it many times
April 30, 2016
Pretty in every direction it takes
April 25, 2016
Classic 80's. Good high school movie. Loved Molly.
½ April 14, 2016
Let down by an unconvincing ending. Strong, fearless Molly Ringwald character who learns not to be ashamed of her poverty. I think the ending comprimises that integrity. Also, question need for Jon Cryer character to physically attack James Spader character. And is Andrew McCarthy's character right when he says at the end that Spader knows within himself that he is a
heel? I doubt it.
February 19, 2016
Andi should of stayed with Ducky instead of chicken Blaine aka Blender.
February 18, 2016
I watched it just to say that I did and aside from The Breakfast Club I remain unimpressed with Molly Ringwald and her acting.
February 3, 2016
Famously, the end of this movie was changed after test audiences didn't think Ringwald's character should end up with Duckie. Maybe the greatest example of test audiences being a complete waste of time. Otherwise, this supremely 80s teen dramedy is a melodramatic good time.