Pretty in Pink Reviews

June 18, 2014
A sweet coming-of-age story with an adorable sense of humor, an awesome soundtrack and some superb performances by Stanton, Cryer and Potts, and if the end may not please you (like it did me), the sincere way the movie shows the insecurities of youth definitely will.
November 27, 2013
In typical John Hughes fashion, Pretty in Pink is nostalgic, beautifully-filmed, touchingly honest, and wonderfully enjoyable.
½ August 5, 2013
I had moderately high expectations for "Pretty In Pink" because I enjoyed John Hughes's (superior) "Sixteen Candles," and I was already familiar with its parody in "Not Another Teen Movie." I was ultimately disappointed though mainly because Andie's prom dress is a Pepto Bismol atrocity. Just kidding.

The poor girl-rich guy love story rang even falser. Blane and Andie's attraction is just googly-eyed faux-chemistry. What is this "something" that he sees in her? (I'm sure we, the audience, see it cuz Molly Ringwald rocks, but there's no scene in the movie that shows her striking his fancy.) What does she see in him? Is he that different from his richie rich friends, or doesn't he still just get by on his high class looks and sophisticated charm? On the date, he is incredibly naive about his friends' anticipated reception, and he does say some unintentionally condescending things that would rub me the wrong way. The class conflict is also slightly incidental and doesn't come across as a problem until the date. We know that Andie is poor, but it's unclear that she pays to attend a rich private high school with students who bully her for her relative penury. I thought it was just for her independent, free-spirited ways.

I'm also more than a little perturbed that the parody of Andie and Duckie's friendzoniest of friendzones is almost without exaggeration! Everyone is so totally oblivious! Even after Andie comes home and says, "I'm in love," her dad doesn't automatically assume she's talking about Duckie, who earlier confessed his love for her to Jack. Jon Cryer as Duckie is just charming and devoted as all-get-out, albeit embarrassingly silly and slightly clingy. His tell-off speech is probably the best dramatic work I've seen of Cryer's, which is a shame.

That's not to say I necessarily wanted Andie to end up with the friendzoned best friend (because unconditional idolatry bordering on obsession isn't what she wants or needs either), but his prom date savior move and sacrificial all-but-slow-clapping endorsement of Blane's bland non-apology is just too much and too sad.
blkbomb
February 18, 2013
Blane: You said you couldn't be with someone who didn't believe in you. Well I believed in you. I just didn't believe in me. I love you... always.

"He's crazy about her. She's crazy about him. He's just crazy."

I finally got around to watching one of John Hughes' classic high school movies, and I have to say Pretty in Pink lived up to the classic Hughes status. I didn't quite like it as much as The Breakfast Club, but Pretty in Pink is something special in its own right. It has a good, if pretty typical story at the heart of it, but what makes it special is Hughes' brilliant writing and the characters, which are all great. The cast also comes through perfectly and Jon Cryer might have stolen the whole show, with an offbeat, but emotional performance as Duckie.

Andie is a poor girl who attends a school that has a lot of rich kids. The rich kids and the poor kids hate each other. When Blane(a rich) starts showing signs of liking Andie, she can't believe it could be true. Then Blane asks her out and then to the prom, she is extremely excited. The only problem is that Blane's friends don't approve because Andie is poor and Andie's friends don't approve because Blane is rich. Well mostly it's just Duckie that doesn't approve, and his love for Andie makes things even more complicated for a girl feeling love for the first time.

There's a lot to like about Pretty in Pink. From the performances to the dialogue to the characters; it's a movie that has beauty in just about everything. At points, the movie gets a little too sappy or corny, but for the most part it gets a good majority of the high school scene and the first feelings of love down pretty good.

This is one of those movies that a lot of guys don't really care to look into. Pretty in Pink doesn't really get too many guys excited, but this really is worth the time. Hughes was, in a way, a genius, in how he explored and pretty much perfected the high school drama/comedy/romance. This is just another perfect example of that.
MANUGINO
½ July 5, 2009
Blane's a pretty cool guy. Andie's pretty in pink. And Ducky's pretty crazy.

Very good movie! I love the 80's! Pretty in Pink is one of several John Hughes movies that I'm just getting around to seeing for the first time, and it's a good one. The title had me a little wary that this was going go be way too "girly" for my taste, but that wasn't the case at all. Molly Ringwald was very good. Andrew McCarthy and Jon Cryer seemed to feel their part more than the rest of the cast. But James Spader was such a realistic jerk, you want to get up and punch his face in. Pretty In Pink epitomizes everything that made the 80's a great time for teen flicks. Secret loves, proms, a great soundtrack and John Hughes. Definitely give this a try. It is like the Breakfast Club crossed with Romeo and Juliet crossed with offbeat pop culture. Just excellent.

Young Andie is one of the not-so-popular girls in high school. She usually hangs out with her friends Iona or Duckie. Duckie has always had a crush on her, but now she has met a new guy from school, Blane. He's one of the rich and popular guys but can the two worlds meet?
DreamExtractor
July 12, 2011
Pretty in Pink is a good teen drama about wealth, poverty, and love. John Hughes wrote this movie and he does it with only the pure teen knowledge that made masterpieces like Ferris Beuller and The Breakfast Club so perfect. The plot takes in a lot of themes that connect about poluarity and image in high school, and it really got me thinking and I enjoyed it. Molly Ringwald really did do a good performance, but nothing i have not seen from her before in other Hughes films. Jon Cryer is the true star of the film as I found him to be the funniest, most touching, and best actor in the film. The ending is not how it should have been I think however, I believe she should have ended up with her friend Duckie instead as he had loved her a long time before Blane did. But hey no reason to cry over spilled milk, and anyway this film is a must see espically for fans of Hughes work.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ September 1, 2011
I am actually surprised with Pretty in Pink. I felt that it was not your average Romance film, and that John Hugh's effective and intelligent script treats the material at hand very well, without making the romantic elements cheesy or cringe worthy. Pretty in Pink has a terrific cast of actors that all deliver great performances. The film shows two different classes of people and those classes that clash when two teens from either side slowly fall for one another. I really thought that Pretty in Pink was a terrific film and did not overdo the romantic elements, they blended comedy into its story as well, and it didn't overshadow anything. Most love stories tend to overdo it, and they fail miserably at making it look believable, but this film is believable and it succeeds at being entertaining. The film has a wonderful story and is far better than most romance films because the chemistry between all the characters is believable. If you're looking for a different type of romance film, then this is a film that might surprise you. A well acted, and believable story makes this film worth watching. Not your typical love story and what's great is they don't overdo anything.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Another great 80's film from John Hughes! A must see!
movieguru12
December 8, 2007
Awesome movie about how a girl from the wrong side of town falls in love from a guy from a clique that doesn't accept her but they end up together at prom. This movie has great music and is an 80s classic!!! :) I love it but really wish she would've ended up with Duckie :) But it was still a good movie :) :) :)
cosmo313
April 16, 2007
So I've finally gotten around to watching another entry in the Brat Pack Canon. I had kind of been no looking forward to this one as much of the others becuase I had gotte nthe vibe that this one wasn't as good because Hughes didn't direct it.

And while yes, Howard Deutch is no John Hughes, the film isn't that bad, and he does a good job. At least Hughes stuck around to write the thing, that certainly helps. The basic story behind this one is ancient: poor girl meets rich boy, they try to have a relationship, and their respective social classes give them grief for it.

However, I liked the way it was all handled. I didn't realize that this film would be a bit more dramatic and serious. I mean, The Breakfast Club has some very deep and serious moments, but it's also got a good amount of levity. This does too, but there's still a pervasive sense of seriousness. The thing I liked about this and the other brat pack movies (the ones with Hughes's involvement) is how well that they capture youth and growing up. Hughes really got it and his films, despite some lapses into fantasy andescapism now and then, still hold up really well because of their insights and portrayals of how painful life can be at a certain age.

Molly is great, as always, and I really liked the oversized glasses she sports in a few scenes. That's actually one bit of fashion that I didn't find revolting unless treated like kitsch. Jon Cryer is also really good, but he's also given a rather thankless part to play. McCarthy is okay, but not great, and Spader, while good, looks a bit too old to be in high school, so his presence adds some creepiness that is a bit to uncomfortable at times. Stanton is decent if slightly underused, and Annie Potts, for me, was a real treat to watch. The quick appearances by Gina Gershon, Andrew Dice Clay, Kristy Swanson, and Dweezil Zappa all made me really happy.

Given my initial hesitation with wanting to see this one, I'm happy to say that it all came out better than I had expected. It's not as strong as the other films, but this doesn't mean it's the end of the world, either. Give it a watch. You might end up feeling the same way.
October 29, 2007
I have put off watching this one for about two years now, because I knew I would be compelled to review it, and honestly I didn't know how I could possibly write a review that would do my all time favourite movie justice. This is a movie I have loved since I was 12 years old and could not even tell you how many times I have watched it over the years. Put it like this, I have watched it so many times, I know what they are going to say word for word before it is said.
Put simply, this is the ultimate 80's teen movie. If it ever gets remade, I will projectile vomit. There is just no way they could ever find actors who are as perfect for the roles as they have here.
The story is pretty simple - it follows Andie (Molly Ringwald) who is from the wrong side of the tracks and lives with her unemployed father, her mother having left them when she was 14. There is a part of me who still wants to be Andie and can identify with her. To this day she still looks great in her op shop fashions.
Andie has a best friend, Duckie (Jon Cryer) who is really cute and quirky and totally in love with her, but though she loves him as a friend, it is rich Blane (Andrew McCarthy) that she pines for. When it seems that Blane returns her affections, the problems really start. Duckie is devastated and Blane's rich friends won't accept her.
There is not a whole lot more to the story, but it really works well. The characters are so relatable, the supporting cast is just excellent. Annie Potts as Andie's boss at the record store she works at part time after school, James Spader as Steff (love to hate him), the bitchy girls and Andie's best friend Jena (Alexa Kenin). Also the cameo at the end by a very young Kristy Swanson (how much did I love that implied ending for Duckie!).
I love the clothes, the soundtrack is perfect. The only thing that has changed for me over the years is that I used to really wish that Duckie would get the girl, but over time I have gotten to like Blane and can see why they wrote the ending the way they did. The end scene is very romantic, even to a cynic like me!
September 6, 2010
Sure, there's a predictable romance story in this movie, but it's got such style, so many great actors, great music, and it's an 80s classic from Hughes, so don't miss it.
½ May 8, 2010
While it's taken some time, this really is a great movie with a good message about social status. It appears to be a light teen drama on the surface, but it really deals with some powerful issues about love, trust and social values. Molly Ringwald really does personify the 80s teenage girl, working in a record store and having to worry about money and reputation. Andrew McCarthy really is the true knight in shining armor, he's a genuinely good person who doesn't care about money, only love. Now John Cryer's Duckie is annoying beyond belief, but I feel that it was for a purpose. He represents every geek who thought they deserved something without having to work for it. I think it's James Spader who totally steals every scene he's in, probably one of the greatest 80s characters every created. He's never in class, throws parties and is a ladies man. Given the proper lens, this really is a great movie that gets misunderstood as a John Hughes comedy.
½ March 3, 2008
"What, you and me? Well, you know, maybe it doesn't happen all the time, but it doesn't mean it isn't right. Right? Doesn't mean you can't try."

Pretty in Pink is one of several John Hughes movies that I'm just getting around to seeing for the first time, and it's a good one.  The title had me a little wary that this was going to be way too "girly" for my taste, but that wasn't the case at all. Guys, don't be afraid to check this out.

What starts out as what seems to be just another 80's boy meets girl kind of movie, ends up being a pretty smart flick about class, family issues, self-worth, and that gauntlet/mine field known as high school. Pretty in Pink is more serious than funny, and has the kind of relatable and likeable characters that these kinds of movies need to be successful. I liked the cast, liked the story, and just enjoyed the whole thing, overall. You don't have to have been a teenager in the 80's (though I'm sure it helps) for this to be a worthwhile movie. And it certainly doesn't hurt to be reminded how silly it is to judge people we don't know by superficial things, including how much (or how little) money they have. Recommended.
Chiefilms
September 18, 2008
John Hughes should of just directed this brat pack piece, this is the only film out of the trilogy of mid-80's teenage comedies that he didn't direct, probably cuz Andrew McCarthy sucks some d and killed Bernie. This is still classic though, great scenes and typical Hughes characters an plot.

Update; This film has to be the most 80's of the Hughes repertoire, very dated yet awesome. "I don't want you to see where I live!", grow up Ringwald, at least you got a roof over ya head and a pink car biatch.
½ August 8, 2009
This is a typical teen dilemma story at its heart, one which I somewhat suspect I watched far more often than is healthy when I was a young boy aged six or so. Guys be warned - that's what having a sister who is eight years older gets you when you're growing up... Anyway, I'm sure this film added to my gender confusion as a kid and turned me into the mild-mannered softie that I am today!

Having to watch it so often during the early stages of my development might have been far more damaging to me if everything about the film didn't suggest that its heart was in the right place. John Hughes was lucky enough to have a fantastic cast gathered together who help to breathe life into his writing. Ringwald especially was a terrific teen actress to snag for this type of material, because there was no-one who could do 'vulnerable' better than her at the time. If the audience connects with your lead character then it gradually becomes a trickle-down effect, which must be a tremendous help for the supporting players, too. Throw in Andrew McCarthy at the height of his powers before his career went into free-fall, plus sidekick duties performed by a young and zany Jon Cryer, and that's a winning trio you have. It doesn't matter that the crises don't add up to much when you think about it, as long as they're sold to us in a way we can identify with.

So far so snug, then. The only glitch appears in the resolution, where our heroine is encouraged to give up her individuality and that of her friend as a way for her to be finally accepted into 'the cool crowd'... What?! That isn't a fairytale ending, it's a graceful swan-dive toward conformity! It's not a message I expected Hughes to be advocating, and it taints the wholesomeness of the tale a little bit. Aside from that blip so close to the finishing line, however, this is an unashamedly feel good movie that won't corrupt impressionable young minds and is a unisex bit of fun. (Or at least that very last part is what I tell myself, anyway... :-) )
½ March 21, 2009
interesting story, but its a kinda cliche' and really really freakin 80's, and i seriously hate the 80's so it loses some points.
January 24, 2009
It has the sweet awkward teenage romance elements down, but this is more teen drama than romantic comedy. Jon Cryer gets the most laughs between being very annoying. It's an understandable annoying though. We see how he annoys other characters but has their best interests at heart. Ringwald is her cute self and Spader is slimey and very at home as a rich yuppie. It's simple teenage fun that treats the romance as a teen fling as opposed to the ridiculous ones where they suggest the high school sweet hearts will live happily ever after. Very 80's with an awesome soundtrack.
½ October 14, 2008
Who doesn't love this movie? It's a classic. Jon Cryer is just adorable.
December 31, 2006
A cult classic about surviving high school and coming of age, over coming class divide. This has inspired so many of the high school love stroy, rom-coms of the 90's and early 00's.