Pulse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pulse Reviews

½ November 14, 2018
Haven't seen the J-horror version but it has to be significantly better than this considering all the praise it gets. This was very dumb and not scary at all. The premise had potential in the beginning but then quickly slid into an ineffective bad horror movie.
½ October 9, 2018
Basically "The Ring" being contacted and conjured into an opened portal through the ouija internet with ridiculous, elliptical narrative. After watching this rushed attempt of another domesticized story of a Japanese tale, it's obvious whilst unseen that the original could be a better offering in terms of deliverance. (C)
½ March 22, 2018
Wow-some crappy movie is just bad!
½ February 5, 2018
i enjoyed the movie. Had a great beginning and a great ending. It was interesting to see ghosts in a digital world.
½ September 2, 2017
Pulse is a profoundly ridiculous supernatural thriller that is void of any suspense or shock value. A supposed parable of our obsession with technological advances and the deadly consequences they may have if we summon the wrong side of these forces. The normally likeable Kristen Bell is blatantly miscast as our heroine and when it comes time for the conclusion it seems we have lost the will to care about what happens to anyone still living.
February 22, 2017
i kind of thought this was stupid; sounds like i should watch the original.
November 23, 2016
Boasting a more unnerving undertone than most Asian horror remakes, Pulse uses modern society's technological advances as a springboard for supernatural domination -- and its exhilarating visuals and palpable scares help increase the creep factor.
½ August 22, 2016
Pulse is definetly one of the worst remake in the horror genre. Its a stale, boring, cliche of a mess. However the visuals were pretty good.
March 22, 2016
Boring trash. No emotional connection and very cliche. What a waste.
December 23, 2015
Very atmospheric and not bad if you haven't seen the Japanese original to compare it to.
½ December 20, 2015
This was probably one of the most awfully made movies I've seen in the longest time, Poorly made; Awful plot-line and really hard to follow with.
½ October 31, 2015
Kristen Bell is amazing and though the movie as a whole looks just o.k. I hope she does well!
September 17, 2015
Gone is the tension and atmosphere of the original and in it's place in this poopcorn horror movie is non stop action visuals.Poooooorly done remake.
September 5, 2015
a GREAT sci-fi horror that was perfect timing in its release and the boom of cell phone use!
August 28, 2015
This movie is very weird and although it has a few creepy moments, mostly it's just a bunch of nightmare images strung together in a basically plot less story. The acting is not that great and it's shot in a very dark way that makes it hard to see. The direction is very pedestrian and the visual effects are not that special.
August 15, 2015
I've seen better acting at a kindergarten Christmas production of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
July 25, 2015
watchable horror movie
½ July 23, 2015
It might look nice, but don't let this soulless remake trick you into thinking its' anything more than a sub-par horror flick hoping desperately to hop on the Ring bandwagon. [C-]
½ July 22, 2015
Kristen Bell and her college buddies come to realize a friend who committed suicide had actually opened a portal to the realms of the dead through a "computer virus" over the "internet." For a horror film based around technology, it's kind of strange to see how in nine years the flip phones, big fat Blackberrys, and other technologies look so quaint just nine years later. Made during the the tail end of the J-Horror remake craze, the fad had somewhat played out by this time and I was fairly tired of green tints and scary girls with hair hanging over their faces, but re-watching this one now, I did like it better than I remembered, though it's still not all that good of the film. The first time around I did like the (SPOILER ALERT!) the ending where the world actually does come to an end, but the build up to it is pretty silly, pretty slow and not terribly interesting. I think I liked this film better now that I've come to appreciate Kirsten Bell more than at the time, when I'd dismissed her as a dull CW star. Brad Dourif does show up to bring some life to the film, but it's not enough to save this dull mess.
½ June 28, 2015
God-awful movie. The premise, even though a remake, is incredibly unoriginal, feeling like a combination of The Ring and Feardotcom, the visual style is interesting at first, but becomes annoying and too dreary, there are no true scares in the film, and the performances suck, even Bell's.