The Purple Rose of Cairo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

½ September 20, 2017
Worst film ever
There I've said it
June 16, 2017
One of Woody Allen's oddest films. That, however, isn't a bad thing. The story is made for film lovers and you can tell that Allen himself is also a fan of classic cinema. The story is weet and fantastical with a winning turn by Jeff Daniels.
½ June 15, 2017
Good overall with a great cast, but, thought it finished too soon.
April 30, 2017
Mesmerizing. It has more magic than all of the other Woody Allen films I have seen put together. It will dazzle all who have a passion for classic cinema. (First and only viewing - 4/30/2017)
March 3, 2017
I see in this film some of the roots of what made Midnight in Paris so amazing. I love the way the story starts in a normal Depression-era world and then suddenly something insane happens and the movie really takes off. I thought it was great how everyone acted as if a character in a movie walking off the screen actually made sense. I knew nothing about the movie going in so that surprised me, and added to the humor when I'm the only one acting like something impossible occurred.

Jeff Daniels was great in his dual role and I could see differences in his performance depending on which character he was portraying. Mia Farrow was a perfect love interest because she is so sweet and unassuming, and her passion for the movies makes it believable that she could connect with these men. I also loved all the familiar faces on the screen in the movie within the movie. Their scenes were absolutely hilarious.

Most of this movie worked like a charm for me. Hearing the stories of what was happening at other theaters showing the movie made me laugh. It was great watching the studio executives debating what to do, as if the obvious question of "how is this happening?" never even enters their minds. Then there's even a scene where the characters walk back into the screen and everything goes crazy.

I wish they had shown a little more of the movie within the movie just so we had a better idea of the themes and who Tom Baxter was within his world (then we wouldn't need him to tell us so often.) Also there's the terribly disappointing conclusion to the film. After all that magic and fun throughout the movie it made me sad to step back down to reality at the end.

With my slight complaints aside I have to say this is easily my second favorite Woody Allen film. It speaks to the cinema lover in me because the magic of movies is on full display in The Purple Rose of Cairo. It had me laughing frequently, and had charm to spare. What a nice treat.
August 18, 2016
Fun, inventive but also surprisingly sad, The Purple Rose of Cairo is borderline perfect.
½ August 7, 2016
New Jersey, mid-1930s. Cecilia (Mia Farrow) is a waitress stuck in a loveless, dead-end marriage to obnoxious, philandering, gambling Monk (Danny Aiello). It's the height of the Depression and life is pretty grim but luckily Cecilia has an escape. She loves going to the movies. The latest movie in town is The Purple Rose of Cairo and after a falling out with Monk, she watches it over and over. While watching it for the fifth time, one of the characters in the movie, Tom Baxter (Jeff Daniels), notices Cecilia and steps out of the movie. All manner of adventures, romance and hilarity ensue.

Woody Allen's wonderfully quirky, reverent and creative homage to the silver screen. From the start the movies are shown as a medium to transport people away from their cares and Woody Allen does exactly that with this movie. He does this with a light, whimsical touch but with great reverence.

The story is fantastical and Allen's development of it is wonderfully funny. The thought of a character leaving a movie and entering the real world is original and preposterous but Allen doesn't use it as a one-trick pony, taking the concept in many hilarious (and even profound) directions.

Wonderful conclusion too, bringing us back to cinema's role in our lives.
July 26, 2016
What is real?What is illusion?
July 13, 2016
This romantic comedy uses elements of fantasy to undermine pedestrian cynicism about the importance of everyday romance.
June 28, 2016
Eccentric, sweet and inventive, The Purple Rose of Cairo is yet another Wody Allen's achievement.
June 16, 2016
Allen's best film. One of my personal favorites.
January 11, 2016
Woody was amazing at the time.
December 30, 2015
With a sophisticated and incredibly original script, superb performances, absolutely fantastic humor, incredibly endearing characters, many moving parts, heartwarming ending and evident charm and heart, The Purple Rose of Cairo is such a beautiful homage to the 1930s and such a great love letter to cinema as a whole. It is the director's finest work and one of the best films of the 1980s.
½ December 6, 2015
I finally got to see this movie, one of the classic Woody Allen films I hadn't yet seen. I quite liked it as it dealt with movies. It has a magic-realism quality similar to the more recent "Midnight in Paris". Jeff Daniels is so young looking in it, and quite good. Worth a watch!
½ November 14, 2015
Innovative as always. Such perfection doesn't exist in reality right?
½ October 19, 2015
El cine salvando vidas
October 18, 2015
Well, I'm surprised to have found a Woody Allen film that I don't really rate, and I think is very overrated. It's not a bad film and perhaps I just expected a better one but this is a bit devoid of the usual humour which Allen normally delivers on consistently.
September 11, 2015
It's a very inventive movie and enjoyable for the most part, but I was beyond disappointed with the ending.
July 12, 2015
A delightful and thought-provoking fantasy piece from a true master.