The Purple Rose of Cairo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Purple Rose of Cairo Reviews

August 18, 2016
Fun, inventive but also surprisingly sad, The Purple Rose of Cairo is borderline perfect.
½ August 7, 2016
New Jersey, mid-1930s. Cecilia (Mia Farrow) is a waitress stuck in a loveless, dead-end marriage to obnoxious, philandering, gambling Monk (Danny Aiello). It's the height of the Depression and life is pretty grim but luckily Cecilia has an escape. She loves going to the movies. The latest movie in town is The Purple Rose of Cairo and after a falling out with Monk, she watches it over and over. While watching it for the fifth time, one of the characters in the movie, Tom Baxter (Jeff Daniels), notices Cecilia and steps out of the movie. All manner of adventures, romance and hilarity ensue.

Woody Allen's wonderfully quirky, reverent and creative homage to the silver screen. From the start the movies are shown as a medium to transport people away from their cares and Woody Allen does exactly that with this movie. He does this with a light, whimsical touch but with great reverence.

The story is fantastical and Allen's development of it is wonderfully funny. The thought of a character leaving a movie and entering the real world is original and preposterous but Allen doesn't use it as a one-trick pony, taking the concept in many hilarious (and even profound) directions.

Wonderful conclusion too, bringing us back to cinema's role in our lives.
July 26, 2016
What is real?What is illusion?
July 13, 2016
This romantic comedy uses elements of fantasy to undermine pedestrian cynicism about the importance of everyday romance.
June 28, 2016
Eccentric, sweet and inventive, The Purple Rose of Cairo is yet another Wody Allen's achievement.
June 16, 2016
Allen's best film. One of my personal favorites.
January 11, 2016
Woody was amazing at the time.
December 30, 2015
With a sophisticated and incredibly original script, superb performances, absolutely fantastic humor, incredibly endearing characters, many moving parts, heartwarming ending and evident charm and heart, The Purple Rose of Cairo is such a beautiful homage to the 1930s and such a great love letter to cinema as a whole. It is the director's finest work and one of the best films of the 1980s.
½ December 6, 2015
I finally got to see this movie, one of the classic Woody Allen films I hadn't yet seen. I quite liked it as it dealt with movies. It has a magic-realism quality similar to the more recent "Midnight in Paris". Jeff Daniels is so young looking in it, and quite good. Worth a watch!
½ November 14, 2015
Innovative as always. Such perfection doesn't exist in reality right?
½ October 19, 2015
El cine salvando vidas
October 18, 2015
Well, I'm surprised to have found a Woody Allen film that I don't really rate, and I think is very overrated. It's not a bad film and perhaps I just expected a better one but this is a bit devoid of the usual humour which Allen normally delivers on consistently.
September 11, 2015
It's a very inventive movie and enjoyable for the most part, but I was beyond disappointed with the ending.
July 12, 2015
A delightful and thought-provoking fantasy piece from a true master.
June 26, 2015
No matter how rugged and tough you are, the charm and wit of this film cannot be denied.
June 13, 2015
My 2nd favorite Woody Allen film. A tragic comedy with the fabulous performance of Mia Farrow and Jeff Daniels. The suave, worldly, fickle Gil Shepherd beat the perfect, romantic and dependable Tom Baxter. The biggest loser was the hopeless romantic Cecilia.
½ June 4, 2015
Woody Allen's most unusual movie is one of his best.
May 31, 2015
An inventive comic fantasy set in the Great Depression about a film character who falls for an audience member and walks right off the screen to be with her. The cast do an excellent job with Allen's sweet script, delivering an entertaining love letter to the silver screen.
½ May 27, 2015
Subtly,one of Allen's best.A bittersweet fable and homage to the great movies of the 20's and 30's.