Quantum of Solace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Quantum of Solace Reviews

January 17, 2017
A movie with an arty directorial approach mixed with a Jason Bourne-esque editing style that is too amped up and nauseating for it's own good.

However, although the plot is a little weak and the script a little unfocused, it's not a bad movie. The performances are fine and it does improve with subsequent viewings.

With better, more coherent editing of the action scenes I would probably have added another half a star.
½ January 6, 2017
Tip: rewatch Casino Royale before watching this movie. It picks up a few hours and is truly an extension to the 1st film. Really enjoyed the continuation of the 1st story with a near callback to the Sean Connery classics.
½ January 6, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: A gritty revenge idea was certainly the right way to go after 'Casino Royale,' as Bond's arc seems to naturally evolve here. Yes once again, the character-story in 'Quantum of Solace' is the strongest part of the film, as it plays not to the politics, but to Bond's personal journey. On that note, Daniel Craig excels here yet again in embodying the role even further - and combining that with this revenge story really brings 007's pain home.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Sadly the execution just lacks its predecessors sophistication. That's the case mainly because of the over-abundant action, but also because of the poor writing and the overall plot that backs Bond's arc up. Indeed the story may have the right character drive, but the execution of everything that comes with it is pretty bad overall. Back to the old days then? Well, maybe if this film had featured some smiling call-backs or sexy charm I could have forgiven it's flaws, but instead it smacks you round the face with its relentless grit even harder than Casino Royale did, without the intellegence to warrant it.
VERDICT: Bond's Casino Royale arc continues, and thankfully Craig and the story serve the character extremelly well. Shame it all lacks a bit of finesse.
January 4, 2017
170101: 22nd Bond Film. Is it just me or has 007 (Daniel Craig) stepped up his game? He's more violent and more anti-authority, almost operating independently, or at least appearing to do so. And, I like it. Or, at least I like it more than the prior Bonds in general. It's about time for this franchise to take what Bond does seriously.
January 2, 2017
The second outing for Craig's Bond and he seems to have settled well into the role. Unfortunately the film is nowhere near as good as Casino Royale but watched back to back with it makes a good companion piece. Bond's treatment of women in the film are a bit suspect compared to his portrayal in Casino Royale and the action set pieces aren't as good. The villain is also a bit dull but i liked the way he was more of a puppet master than Bond Villain with something wrong with him.
December 23, 2016
Penoso continuo della saga di uno dei personaggi più famosi d'Inghilterra. Pessima interpretazione di Daniel Craig e pessima trama che va fuori dalle solite avventure del mitico James Bond alias 007
December 21, 2016
So so Bond film. Action is great but it lacks the humour and "fun" that is expected in a Bond film. Not much plot there either. Not as good as Casino Royale.
December 17, 2016
The best JAMES BOND film ever!
December 14, 2016
The shortest Bond? Very grown up and multi-layered. Gets better with repeated viewing, like every intelligent film with something to say. Moving farther away from the silliness. Thank goodness.
December 4, 2016
A lackluster bond film that cuts corners and falls to choppy editing in the action sequences. Still, id be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it a little
½ November 21, 2016
worst of the Daniel Craig Era still an enjoyable film great action plot is okay but still so so
November 6, 2016
For Casino Royale to reinvent the Bond franchise in a modern darker take on the character, Quantum of Solace takes a giant step backward. This film doesn't feel like a James Bond film at all. It feels like your typical action film where the main hero's name just happens to be James Bond. Two of the biggest problems that I kept on seeing in this film was the coincidences that tied the plot together and the headache enduring action scenes. Casino Royale had a plot that flowed well. Each scene neatly set up the next one and so on and so forth with enough new information to keep the audience interested and understanding. In this film, the scenes are tied together by a needle and a thread. Instead of understanding why James Bond is going after these bad guys and really knowing who the bad buys are, the scenes are tied together by the lovely, "Oh, how convenient!" moments. As for the action, it is so hard to watch. I've stated before that the pre-credits car chase is one of the worst edited action scenes in movie history. I understand the need to make the scene seem intense, but it comes across as confusing and ultimately boring. It's a shame because they had some good set-pieces for some great action sequences. The foot chase through Italy, the boat chase in the harbour of Haiti, and the plane chase over the dessert. Also, there is one shot in particular where the CGI rendering was definitely not up to modern James Bond status. If you repackaged this film as just another generic 2000's action film, then it wouldn't have been that bad, but this film isn't worthy of the 007 recognition.
½ November 1, 2016
2016-11-01 watched for 2nd time (first time undated)
October 21, 2016
This film could have been so good, but Marc Forster's clichéd and ham-fisted direction completely ruined it for me. To be fair, his handling of the quieter moments between the action was adequate, but he clearly has no grasp of how direct action sequences, which are clearly central to any good Bond. I'm afraid the 'shake the camera and cut at least once a second' school of action direction doesn't really cut it.

It's tragic really, as the setup and the stunts for the sequences looked pretty promising, but you had to look pretty hard to tell once Mr. Forster's hopeless direction kicked in. Such a waste.
½ October 9, 2016
An OK film. The editing makes your head spin though.
October 6, 2016
i fell asleep, and it was just a guy running away from people the whole movie.
½ October 4, 2016
It's story suffers from an incomplete script and the the editing may be spastic and jarring, but Quantum of Solace still remains a brutal, fast paced entry in the Bond canon, one very different than any before it.
September 15, 2016
Critics rated this trash 65%?, welph, somebody in Hollywood has got to be sucking some major wiener is all I got to say lmfao??
½ September 14, 2016
QoS is exciting, but disappointingly predictable. Judy Dench and Daniel Craig are both very good, and the sets/ locales are all very stylish, making the film easy to look at. Story-wise, I like my Bond less rogue and less maudlin. There were too many plot points that were unnecessary. Both "Bond girls" were wannabes, and the opening song was ick, phth! I'm sure people will think, "Shut up and enjoy the explosions!" but Casino Royale is a hard act to follow.
½ September 10, 2016
It's arguably the weakest entry in the Daniel Craig Bond movies and sadly lacks that which made Casino Royale great, though Quantum of Solace's shorter runtime, amazing action sequences and stellar performances from its cast make Quantum of Solace a film that's still fun nonetheless.