The Queen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Queen Reviews

September 4, 2017
On the 20th anniversary of Lady Diana's death, I'd like to recommend this movie. It especially answers that question about why the flag was not flown at half mast. It gives some needed insight into HRH Queen Elizabeth's thoughts during that time. It's a gorgeous movie, and it captures my full attention every time I view it. Prime Minister Tony Blair is also given the full treatment, and Prince Charles as well. It wins over any docudrama or rehashed interview you might be thinking of watching. This is a new take on an old tale for most of us. You might say it's "Another country heard from," on how it was on those dark days for that family.
½ September 2, 2017
1997 was a horrible year for the United Kingdom. The story of the death of Princess Diana of Wales and the relationship between British Prime Minister Tony Blair and the British Royal Family upon hearing of her death are depicted in this drama film. 20 years after the passing of the Queen of Hearts, it is still a resounding topic and I felt it was the right time to watch this film. Dame Helen Mirren displays a huge amount of talent portraying Queen Elizabeth II, which is why she won the 4 big awards. Beautiful music and screenplay as well.
½ August 29, 2017
It took me two or three viewings to warm to this film. A lot of reputations took a beating from this film, I suspect, except Tony Blair's. It's not a bad film, it's a bit slow, but there is enough drama to keep the film interesting. Great acting
½ August 14, 2017
The Queen (2006) examines, with a delightful irreverence, how the monarchy and UK Prime Minister Tony Blair managed self-image in the wake of Princess Diana's death. Helen Mirren and Michael Sheen don't as much 'perform' as become the two high-profile figures they portray; they embody their flaws and insecurities while rightfully preserving their dignity. The film as a whole provides a well constructed, fascinating insight into royal life behind their duties, putting an authentic human face on the monarchy. The real-life event that The Queen documents involved numerous social and political complexities, all of which director Frears handles deftly. The film's imagery (while heavy-handed at times) is pertinent and inventive, and the script gently pokes fun at royal protocol. It's intelligent entertainment. The Queen's character studies and wonderful storytelling make for an absorbing spectacle, as it takes the best from the bio-pic & drama genres. The Queen (2006) is a sensitive, well thought-through portrayal of the events surrounding an unforgettable real-life incident.
August 13, 2017
When you only heard about the famed royalty, this film proved to be essential to give you a proper introduction to the British Royal Family through an astounding historical insight and exceptional performances. With the complicating action being the aftermath of Princess Diana's death, the outer emotions of both sides and archived recordings of her solely fulfills her portrait while also created a conflicting stance on the beliefs towards her. Director Stephen Frear's portrait of the British Royal Family turned out to be his best yet based on the weighing scale and portraying the subject right with patho perspectives. (A-)

(Full review TBD)
½ August 3, 2017
A true story that from a star-turning performance from Helen Mirren, The Queen is a good Oscar-Bait film
July 2, 2017
I found myself completely absorbed in this superbly-acted quiet drama (that occasionally gets loud). I guess I'm getting old.
½ June 14, 2017
An intricately retold true story that is perfectly acted, handsomely directed, and offers a poignant window to modern society's media influence.
June 13, 2017
Helen Mirren is fabulous, so it is a logical fit for her to portray The Queen. Her performance throughout the film is dignified and powerful, exactly what it needed to be. I also thought Michael Sheen was wonderful as Tony Blair, because his youthful and informal demeanor was a great contrast to Mirren. It?s just a shame that this is the movie they were given. I think eventually I understood the logic of having the entire film centered around the death of Princess Diana, but I wonder if they could have done something better if they selected a different period of history. Huge chunks of the movie are devoted to showing how the nation was turning against the royal family because of the choices they were making at the time. We get to see behind the curtain and so we?re intended to take the Queen?s side in these matters, but I couldn?t help feeling that the movie was making a stronger case that she was in the wrong. Later in the film, in what I can only describe as a hail-mary of desperation to get us to empathize with the Queen, they have Tony Blair make a total 180 and turn into a fan-boy who takes her side in everything. It crops up out of nowhere, and despite their attempts to justify it, I found it jarring. Perhaps if I were more in tune with British politics and culture I would find The Queen a more impactful film, but I thought it was a poor story propped up by 2 great performances.
June 5, 2017
It might be called "The Queen," but this well-acted biographical drama set in the aftermath of Diana of Wales' tragic death is as much about PM Tony Blair as it is Elizabeth II.
December 30, 2016
I just found this movie boring. I know critics go gaga over it but I think i almost fell asleep.
November 21, 2016
awesome performance by helen mirren. love her.
½ April 20, 2016
Interesting take from the other side of the Diana debacle
April 9, 2016
An absolute delight!
January 10, 2016
Hmmm... This seems to be available at the local library.
November 14, 2015
Okay, but not that engaging.

A movie about dealing with tragedy...when you're the Queen of England. In the aftermath of Princess Diana being killed by the paparazzi in 1997, the Royal family reacts with stoicism. However, this gets read as indifference by the English population and public opinion soon turns against the Royal family (spurred on by the media, of course). Prime Minister Tony Blair, riding a massive wave of popularity, tries to help them with their PR problems...

Interesting and novel in that it this movie gives a look into the private lives of monarchy during a time of grief and vulnerability. However, there is a large degree of detachment for the audience: we can't relate to them. Plus, much of the plot involves politics, PR and the politics of monarchy, and none of these are appealing subjects.

Some of this distance is made up by great, convincing performances from Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth and Michael Sheen as Tony Blair. Mirren got a Best Actress Oscar for her performance.

Overall, interesting and watchable, but not a must-see.
September 17, 2015
This is a work of fine craftsmanship all around.
September 1, 2015
Deep and electrifying . A movie that gives us the best visual of the mentality of the Queen herself and the touching relationship between the prime minister Tony Blair. Movie for everyone to enjoy!
August 25, 2015
This historical insight gives a rare insight into the behind-the-scene thoughts and behaviours of Royal Family. With an outstanding performance by Mirren, this film will make you think twice about The Queen. AAN 1001