The Queen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Queen Reviews

July 2, 2017
I found myself completely absorbed in this superbly-acted quiet drama (that occasionally gets loud). I guess I'm getting old.
½ June 14, 2017
An intricately retold true story that is perfectly acted, handsomely directed, and offers a poignant window to modern society's media influence.
June 13, 2017
Helen Mirren is fabulous, so it is a logical fit for her to portray The Queen. Her performance throughout the film is dignified and powerful, exactly what it needed to be. I also thought Michael Sheen was wonderful as Tony Blair, because his youthful and informal demeanor was a great contrast to Mirren. It?s just a shame that this is the movie they were given. I think eventually I understood the logic of having the entire film centered around the death of Princess Diana, but I wonder if they could have done something better if they selected a different period of history. Huge chunks of the movie are devoted to showing how the nation was turning against the royal family because of the choices they were making at the time. We get to see behind the curtain and so we?re intended to take the Queen?s side in these matters, but I couldn?t help feeling that the movie was making a stronger case that she was in the wrong. Later in the film, in what I can only describe as a hail-mary of desperation to get us to empathize with the Queen, they have Tony Blair make a total 180 and turn into a fan-boy who takes her side in everything. It crops up out of nowhere, and despite their attempts to justify it, I found it jarring. Perhaps if I were more in tune with British politics and culture I would find The Queen a more impactful film, but I thought it was a poor story propped up by 2 great performances.
June 5, 2017
It might be called "The Queen," but this well-acted biographical drama set in the aftermath of Diana of Wales' tragic death is as much about PM Tony Blair as it is Elizabeth II.
December 30, 2016
I just found this movie boring. I know critics go gaga over it but I think i almost fell asleep.
November 21, 2016
awesome performance by helen mirren. love her.
½ April 20, 2016
Interesting take from the other side of the Diana debacle
April 9, 2016
An absolute delight!
March 6, 2016
A true story that from a star-turning performance from Helen Mirren, The Queen is a good Oscar-Bait film
January 10, 2016
Hmmm... This seems to be available at the local library.
November 14, 2015
Okay, but not that engaging.

A movie about dealing with tragedy...when you're the Queen of England. In the aftermath of Princess Diana being killed by the paparazzi in 1997, the Royal family reacts with stoicism. However, this gets read as indifference by the English population and public opinion soon turns against the Royal family (spurred on by the media, of course). Prime Minister Tony Blair, riding a massive wave of popularity, tries to help them with their PR problems...

Interesting and novel in that it this movie gives a look into the private lives of monarchy during a time of grief and vulnerability. However, there is a large degree of detachment for the audience: we can't relate to them. Plus, much of the plot involves politics, PR and the politics of monarchy, and none of these are appealing subjects.

Some of this distance is made up by great, convincing performances from Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth and Michael Sheen as Tony Blair. Mirren got a Best Actress Oscar for her performance.

Overall, interesting and watchable, but not a must-see.
September 17, 2015
This is a work of fine craftsmanship all around.
September 1, 2015
Deep and electrifying . A movie that gives us the best visual of the mentality of the Queen herself and the touching relationship between the prime minister Tony Blair. Movie for everyone to enjoy!
August 25, 2015
This historical insight gives a rare insight into the behind-the-scene thoughts and behaviours of Royal Family. With an outstanding performance by Mirren, this film will make you think twice about The Queen. AAN 1001
½ July 27, 2015
What a sensational performance by Helen Mirren. She deservedly won an Oscar. The rest of the film is just as good. Well done all the way around by all involved.
½ July 25, 2015
Biopics are by far my favorite film genre, but unfortunately The Queen didn't live it up for me. It was rather slow paced, which I did understand was intentional for the purpose of showing the tension among the Queen, the Prime Minister, and the public about the appropriate public response to Princess Di's death. But the drawback of this approach is that it lacked an entertainment value (i.e. of being more fast-paced, having more of a presence of emotional highs and lows, more surprises, etc.) This felt more like a film I could use in a film class to analyze the mise-en-scene and explore the intersection of the public vs private as well as the old-fashioned/traditional vs the modern. I'm still glad I watched it, but I wouldn't really watch it for a second time unless it was for an analytical assignment.
June 23, 2015
A remarkable insight into the private world of the modern monarchy, The Queen reveals poignantly how conservative Elizabeth conceded to the needs of modernity and its media, breaking a 60 year old stance. The plot remains consistent and the acting is of a high quality, Mirren, Sheen and Cromwell especially should be kept in mind. However, there does seem to be something missing. The plot, though as I say remains consistent, also lacks in scenes that we wonder why they are even included and the dialogue can sometimes become suffocating in its stuffiness. The general tone of the film questions why the writers chose this period, out of so many available, that would have made this picture a much more entertaining spectacle. It's good, but it just can't seem to engage sympathy in its 100 minutes of pandering.
April 21, 2015
Helen Mirren and Michael Sheen spearhead a tremendously executed British film, that depicts the period before and following Princess Diana's death.
April 5, 2015
Well done and interesting story that give you a sense for all of the major characters involved (the queen, her husband, Prince Charles, Tony Blair) etc. Is it all true? Who knows. But it is definitely an interesting take on the monarchy.