Raging Bull - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

June 12, 2018
This movie was horrible!
½ May 21, 2018
Holy shit, erfið
Horfði með Rebekku heima hjá henni,
hún meikaði ekki seinustu 10-15 mín, klátaraði einn :)
May 19, 2018
Widley regarded as Martin Scorsese's magnum opus and one of the best sporting biopics of all time, Raging Bull features a career-best performance from Robert De Niro, going full method as well as full insane. I'm a big boxing fan, and as such it was exciting to witness the famous fight sequences, filled in gory closeups to emphasise all the face twisting, blood-spattered mayhem. I don't know if it was something to do with the fighters back then, or maybe the rules that were in force at the time, but none of the fighters seem interested in raising their hands to defend themselves. Also, some of them take ferocious beatings up against the ropes with no discernible ability to defend themselves, and yet the Refs rarely step in to stop the fight. Finally, despite Scorsese and De Niro aiming for realism and authenticity, La Motta pummels the Hell out of his opponents, and gets pummelled in return, yet after the fight they display very few physical injuries, aside from the infamous St Valentines Day Massacre bout. Also, it doesn't have any characters to root for. Jake La Motta is a jealous, abusive brute, Joey La Motta isn't much better. Almost everyone else is a crook apart from Vickie. She's the closest one to a likable character, but she ends up being so passive that she rarely has an active part in the story. Scorsese has made a living directing movies with unlikable leads, but unlike Travis Bickle or Bill Cutting, I didn't end up feel anything for La Motta. The dialogue consists mostly of him asking 'What's that all about?', or 'Who you been talking too?' or some variant of the 2, and the film drags badly towards the end. The acting is great, especially from De Niro, and it's brutally realistic, but I just didn't care much for it. I've enjoyed several of Scorsese's pictures, but despite the obvious talent on display, Raging Bull just didn't connect with me like some of the others did.
May 16, 2018
Raging Bull is a movie directed by the great Martin Scorsese and stars Robert De Niro as Jake LaMotta, a boxer who eventually rises to the top but his life outside of boxing is... well destroyed because his jealousy and anger is affecting the people around him. To start things off Robert De Niro does a superb job and was amazing in the film, Joe Pesci is fantastic in this film too and so did Cathy Moriarty. Jake LaMotta is a complex character, he has a lot of flaws and the movie does not shy away from that. He takes things the wrong way almost all of the time and he gets angry a lot because of it hence the title. Unlike Rocky this is not really a movie about inspiring someone, this movie is a look behind the curtain on a boxer who has a lot of problems. The little things like the the title in the beginning being red symbolizing rage and anger don't get enough credit. The scenes where Jake is slapping Vicky because he took something that happened the wrong way or when Joey was reaching his breaking point because he is getting sick of Jake are my favorite scenes in the movie because it shows a good look into reality and are emotional. He may have been a prizefighter in the ring but in real life he is not. The movie presents it's real fights outside the ring, the fights that break Jake down as a person and that's what I love about this movie. And when I think back at this movie I don't think about the boxing I think about everything outside of it but that's not to say the boxing in this movie is good because it sure is, boxing is just a way to release is anger and it is not really a central part of the movie. Overall it is a very well edited, raw, great movie with fantastic performances and this is a must watch for movie fans
May 7, 2018
8/10 powerful and laconic
½ April 19, 2018
not exactly a well-structured or a superbly-scripted story; scorsese focuses more on la motta being in a bad poem than a masterpiece. nevertheless, it is de niro's best acting ever.
½ April 16, 2018
Raging Bull is a 1980 American biographical black-and-white sports drama film directed by Martin Scorsese. It tells the story of Jake LaMotta.
This is a very visceral film and does not hold back on the language and violence used. Even tough the performance by De Niro is outstanding, I found it very difficult to connect with this film and kept losing interest. Considered to be one of the greatest films of all time and the best sports film of all time.
AAN 1001
April 11, 2018
A masterpiece that is a superlative in terms of acting, editing, and the entire sports genre, Raging Bull represents a torrent of raw, violent masculinity under attack. One could put forth many points that this is Scorsese's magnum opus, and they wouldn't be wrong. You even could say that this film saved his career and life in the early 80s as he was recovering from coke addiction.

It tells the story of how boxer Jake La Motta nearly destroyed his life due to out of control anger issues and persistent sexual jealousy toward his wife. De Niro delivers the performance of his life (the massive weight gain is just a tiny part of it) and with Pesci to back him up, I can confidently say that no other film matches this one in terms of acting. Cathy Moriarty is also great as La Motta's victimized wife, and Frank Vincent's turn as Salvy foresees something about a shinebox. We can sympathize with Jake despite his rage and disgusting appetite, with his insecurities and frustration, with the mafia keeping the title out of his hand, while also seeing him for the repellent jerk he is.

Raging Bull is an editor's wet dream. It honestly might be the best edited film I've ever seen. The way the picture flows together seamlessly, making smart use of cuts or doing without them, adds to the technical marvel. Thelma Schoonmaker won a well deserved Oscar for her technique. The movie contains one of the greatest tracking shots of all time, in the championship title scene, as it follows La Motta from his dressing room all the way to the ring. This combined with a beautiful musical piece by composer Pietro Mascagni makes for raw emotion on steroids, and I'm not ashamed to say it made me weep. The cinematography of this film is a sight to behold thanks to Michael Chapman, who also shot Taxi Driver, and the black and white lens gives it a strange melancholy beauty.

Since redemption is a key feature of Scorsese's pictures we get an ambiguous ending here about the nature of Jake's rebirth. As he quotes Brando's famous speech from On the Waterfront, we wonder if he really does see the problems he caused or simply looking for someone else to blame.

While the film is bleak, it also has a tendency to be very funny at times. The dynamic and countless dialogue exchanges between De Niro and Pesci are comedy gold. I always burst out laughing at the scene where Jake loses his shit over a burnt steak, and again when he gets Joey to punch him in the face over and over again. And no other film could pull off a hilarious line like "your mother sucks fucking big fucking elephant dick" so well.

So in other words Raging Bull is a masterpiece and one that should be seen by everyone and seen again. A man that dies without seeing this film is not a man at all.
April 9, 2018
Robert De Niro is an amazing actor.

I completely bought into his performance, he really nailed the role. His behavior, his mannerisms, the way he spoke, carried himself. He basically turned himself into LaMotta. It was a bit uncomfortable watching him, felt like you wouldn't want to give this guy a wrong look or word. The person he portrayed was despicable, an animal, but it was done so well and so realistically, you gotta applaud him.

The flow of the story was just fine, biographical, going from point to point, it's the nature of biopics. It wasn't bad, but there's nothing else to say about it.

Joe Pesci did a great job as Jake's brother. Always love seeing this sharp little actor work his magic, even if a lot of his characters feel a little bit the same.

The music was beautiful, the black and white visuals worked well enough for me, the makeup was insanely good (Robert's looks from the beginning to the end of this movie were incredibly well done), a lot of great moody shots in this movie, and the casting was mostly really well done. The exception being the actress who played Vickie, whose character at the beginning of the movie was supposedly 15 years old. Looked way older. Heh, I guess this complaint kinda ties in with the story of Jake. Funny.

All in all, this movie didn't knock me out. I can recognize the artistic merit of this movie, but I didn't connect with it emotionally. And that's a bit weird, since I've boxed for almost all my teenage years. Still, a quality movie.
April 7, 2018
Even after watching this great movie with extraordinary acting, I'll never understand how boxing has ever been considered a sport, and I'm stunned that it still exists. But it's an interesting look at how some people used to think about their roles in life, especially about women's place in society.
March 10, 2018
One Of The 10 Best Movies Ever Made
½ March 2, 2018
***1/2
I know, I know, I know. Giving 'Raging Bull' anything less than a full five stars is blasphemy at its absolute worst, but hear me out. This is my first time viewing what many consider to be Martin Scorsese's masterpiece and, whilst I thought it was indeed very good, I can't say it moved me in quite the way many describe. The performances are undoubtedly excellent - both Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci do some of their best work here without a doubt. The direction from Scorsese, particularly in the boxing scenes, is also a total knockout (sorry...). The idea of a man so insecure with himself that boxing becomes almost a form of self-punishment - merely to try and prove to people that he should be respected - is definitely a compelling plot line. The truth is, this is just one of those movies that I didn't connect with as much as I would've liked. I always felt distanced from what was happening on screen, and rarely did the emotional scenes have me feeling emotional. I found the character of Jake LaMotta, much like Travis Bickle in 'Taxi Driver', hard to empathise with. On paper, everything is there, and the movie is most certainly good. But this is just one of those instances where film, being totally subjective, will appeal to some and not to others. And whilst I certainly admire 'Raging Bull', I can't say I was flawed by it.
February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 15, 2018
Raging Bull is a fantastically made film. The directing is amazing, the black and white cinematography is sexy, especially during the perfectly choreographed boxing scenes. However the greatest aspect of Raging Bull is its editing. Innovative, engaging, and fantastically rhythmic, this film has the best editing I have ever seen, so if that's your cup it f tea, check this out. Unfortunately Raging Bull is not as good as the sum of its parts primarily because the film feels pointless. What is trying to be conveyed? That if you're a disrespectful asshole who abuses and objectifies women then no one will like you? I feel that message is self explanatory. Jake is so fantastically unlikable and unsympathetic that I feel no reason to care about anything that happens to him. Raging Bull feels hollow despite its world class artistry.
February 6, 2018
Great movie but hard to watch sometimes because the characters keep being insulted when they are called out for behaving like animals but in truth is they do. It is sometimes hard to root for them
½ January 13, 2018
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Una obra maestra que muestra el lado más introspectivo de Martin Scorsese que plasma un notable trabajo fílmico, apoyado de una brillante interpretación de Robert de Niro.
January 13, 2018
i remember those cheers..

Raging Bull

Yes, its smart and tense equally but also is similar to the other installments of Martin and even though De Niro works hard in it, it's just exhausting in its final act.
December 30, 2017
The kind of in-your-face realism that Scorsese and De Niro present to us in this film is only part of what made this film an instant classic. De Niro's stunning performance boosts this film's quality even more, and the fabulous music and editing make it a piece of art. Not to mention the increased intensity due to the black and white. But if you like romances and prefer movies that present the characters as lovable, this movie isn't for you. You may never find yourself sympathizing with any of the characters throughout the flick. But otherwise, this is a must-see.
December 25, 2017
7.8

[Martin Scorsese]
December 20, 2017
RAGING BULL is an adaptation of a book about a real story of a boxer whose insecurities and low self-esteem destroyed his life outside the ring. It is a masterwork by a master filmmaker who proves here that he is far and above almost every other director of his time. I believe RAGING BULL is Martin Scorsese's finest film- it is a tragedy of Homerian proportions, a searing, violent and generally uncompromising portrait of an unsympathetic and repugnant man- so much so that anyone would probably regret having anything to do with this guy.

The movie stars Robert De Niro as the boxer on topic, Jake LaMotta (the actual LaMotta wrote the book). DeNiro's performance is, in this reviewer's opinion one of the greatest pieces of acting ever staged, cinema or theatre. This is a perfect performance of total commitment by a very talented method actor who is at the top of his form here- once you watch this film- you will understand why DeNiro is so highly revered as an actor and why he and Scorsese worked together so often. The movie also stars Joe Pesci as LaMotta's brother in his first major role, and Cathy Moriarity as Vickie LaMotta, Jake's second wife. They are both fabulous here, credit DeNiro for discovering both actors.

The first scene after the opening credits (which is a brilliant summation of LaMotta's character) sets the tone of one half of this film. We see LaMotta in the ring- and he is competing in a bout. We see he is a very competent boxer- but he is terrifying to watch in action. In this bout (and most of the other bouts in this film), LaMotta doesn't just knock down and knock out his opponent- LaMotta mercilessly mauls and pummels the utter crap out of his opponent. When this happens- it's horrific and brutal; you really feel sorry for any person who comes across this guy. Then, the judges decide for some reason to hand the bout to LaMotta's opponent. The crowd disagrees, and then a riot ensues. Chairs, tables and other objects are thrown around and the scene becomes total pandemonium.

The next scene is set in LaMotta's Bronx apartment, where he lives with his first wife. He and his wife have a loud, violent argument over something as frivolous as how she cooked his steak. We then see Joey barely squeeze through the door which is kept in place by the dinner table overturned. LaMotta then assaults his wife. This sets the tone for the other half of the film.

The way I've written this review makes Jake LaMotta out to be a complete bastard. This is not the case. He has qualities that I believe redeem him in the common man's eyes. If he was a complete bastard, it would be harder for the audience to relate to this character. LaMotta is somehow aware of the fact that his behavior is not okay- and he feels really bad about it. This is exemplified by when he tells his brother to hit him to apparently prepare for an upcoming bout. Joey is reluctant, but Jake anatongizes Joey by slapping him in the face, and Joey's anger boils over and he starts punching Jake in the face.

Then, after a number of events over time, Jake divorces his first wife and marries a young girl named Vickie. Then, a number of violent events occur that alienate Joey and Vickie from Jake, and then, the film turns into a story of redemption. Jake is not happy with himself, and has not been since the movie began. He wants to change, and this is the start of his redemption.

The practicing Catholic Scorsese found a personal connection here through LaMotta's redemption, seeking forgiveness for his sins. Intitally he did not want to do this film, and he poured all his energies into making it- because he believed it would be the last film he would ever make. It wasn't Scorsese who wanted to make this film- it was DeNiro, and it took him 4 years to make it. He finally succeeded after he visited Scorsese in hospital after drug problems of some kind and said that they needed to adapt LaMotta's book into a film. And they ended up making one of the best films I've ever seen.