Rango - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rango Reviews

May 16, 2018
Depp as a voice actor. Sure.
May 1, 2018
3 stars Mr. Rango, for entertainment and dumb luck.
½ April 10, 2018
a stunning desert landscape and a praiseworthy, effervescent score by zimmer are just some of the film's skills. depp's identifiable mumbling yet expressive voice work is a jurisdiction in itself. the plot is deceptively straightforward, and somewhat wholesome. 'rango' manages to combine the western and animation genres to captivating, aberrant effect.
½ March 31, 2018
no man can walk out of his own story..

Rango

Contrary to other animated feature that goes deep in depicting fine detailed peculiar world that differentiates from the "human" world, the makers in here decided to instead resonate it as much as possible which is where it stands alone. Gore Verbinski's vision is projected clean and crystal clear that easily connects and communicates with the audience through excellent execution skills. Johnny Depp is perfectly fit for the role; as it resembles too much with Jack Sparrow and is supported with a great cast like Isla Fischer and Bill Nighty. Rango is a typical western feature that is seasoned by some new spices and flows with genuine emotion which keeps it upbeat despite of its predictable script and seen-this-seen-that conflicts.
michael e.
March 29, 2018
Its...Very...Weird, But in a good way, Depp did a fantastic job as Rango, along with Bill Nighy as the snake, and Ned Beatty as the mayor, Though my only problem is that, well one its very weird and by weird i mean, weird like its never mentioned again, like the tunnel in willy wonka, And there is al ot of stuff that could be skipped over and it wouldnt have made a difference on the plot, Half the animals i couldn't tell what they were. But the movie was just decent overall, its at least worth seeing once but its a movie that you have to make your mind up for yourself, the weirdest part however is when Clint Eastwood (known as the spirit of the west) Appears in a vision or something to rango. Its a very strange movie and is definetly not for kids, There are several sexual references, And 9 uses of hell and one point the snake says "Sign the Damn Paper!!!!" But it pays homage to some of the old western movies with a funny little reference to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" Which is also funny knowing how Depp was also in that movie. All in all a fairly decent movie with some good action, plot, and some good comedy 4.5/5 *

Review Originally Written 3/6/2011
March 18, 2018
Alright, a little dull, but enjoyed it with it's action and humor.
½ March 6, 2018
This film manages to be above average while excelling at nothing in particular, which at the least makes it entertaining and possibly even worth a rewatch from time to time.
January 24, 2018
Awesome movie I've seen it before and I will say it is the best movie I've seen so far
½ December 24, 2017
Excellent well written movie. Brilliant CGI
December 23, 2017
Good movie, but there's a fair bit of political correctness throughout the movie and sadly killed what should have been a very entertaining movie.

If you're someone who happens to be Conservative, I'd avoid this movie. But even then, if you can look past the political stuff... it's a good movie.
November 24, 2017
I love this movie I been watching it since the seventh grade at middle school
½ November 20, 2017
While it certainly has that familiar creepiness of Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski, Rango is an exciting, hilarious, insanely detailed and classic animated western.
November 10, 2017
If the Coen Bros made an animated-existential-comedy-western-family film (which, let's be honest, is the only kind of family film they would make), it would certainly be very similar to this. Not to simply write off Verbinski; his eye for style and comedic timing are dry and wonderful. The design is easily some of the coolest and most unique in the CGI-animation era. And before Depp gave up acting for scarf collecting, he delivered even his vocal performances with great care.
October 30, 2017
i think rango is a amazing movie but its not a kids movie because rango falls in love with a naked plastic barbie doll body rango drinks alcohol out of a cactus characters smoke and its very vilonte a guy has a arrow
stuck in his eye and theres lots of guns and a snake tries to kill and shoot rango its still a good movie but its not a kids movie despite being under the Nickelodeon logo
jamrcla
½ October 28, 2017
Much better than I expected, Full of some great Entertaining scenes and some funny laughs to be had too, Some if not most of the comedy felt like it would go over the target audiences head as allot of jokes only adults would understand fully but it does have its slapstick moments that the kids will love, The animation was good, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version, With a great voice cast this film can be enjoyed by all the family.
½ October 3, 2017
The story could've be more perfect
½ September 10, 2017
This movie in my opinion is extremely overrated the slow western dessert feel makes the film really boring and OH NO the liar plot is Back.
August 15, 2017
One of the best animated movies ever made, the trailer shows so little and I'd recommend watching it as it is absolutely outstanding. The animation work to the character development to the soundtrack are perfect in every way. Everything a animated movie should be.
July 29, 2017
Not my favorite movie I was bored watching this I thought the plot to the movie was not good
July 2, 2017
Unusuallly dense and gritty visuals, particularly for a mainstream animated movie, are this movie's strongest point. Voice performances are pretty good, albeit Johnny Depp plays the protagonist as a more deluded and neurotic cousin of his Captain Jack Sparrow. Narrative, which is primarily a Western pastiche with liberal helpings of Chinatown on the side, could be more rewarding though. The target audience actually appears to be film-literate adults, while the kid audience is not that well served.