Rango - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rango Reviews

January 14, 2017
I liked it, no man can walk out on his own story.
½ January 8, 2017
Great animation and dialogue.
½ December 30, 2016
Not a good movie to watch
December 25, 2016
Children's environmental propaganda?
December 22, 2016
Personally this is one of my favorite animated movies.
December 16, 2016
Rango is directed by Gore Verbinski, and it stars Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Abigail Breslin, Ned Beatty, Alfred Molina, and Bill Nighy in an animated film about a chameleon that wants to be an actor that got himself in the desert and has found a town called Dirt, and once people saw that he killed a hawk even though it was more of an accidental situation that lead towards the demise, people cheered him for it and made him new sheriff, which he uses that to his advantage. I'm a fan of the director's work as I like The Ring, first three Pirates of the Caribbean, and The Weather Man. So I wanted to see it again, and maybe because I grew up, but I enjoyed this more than I did as a kid apparently. Johnny Depp is terrific that gives in his quirks that works in this film and is hilarious. When Isla Fisher, Abigail Breslin, and Alfred Molina showed up, I didn't think it was actually them because the accent they put in is thick enough for it to be unrecognizable, but you can still tell that it's their voices, and Bill Nighy is very intimidating, even threatening at times that is creepy in some moments. This is actually Industrial Light & Magic's first animation they've done in terms for special effects, and it seems like they did it effortless as it has one of the most realistic animations that I've seen as every detail of the animals look really good that it honestly looks real. The characters are very colorful with a lot of humor put into it, and the score by Hans Zimmer is really good that fits the western in, while also being on the joke too with some funny references. Speaking of references, there's a lot of them in this while still keeping focus on the plot, and they are really well done, unexpected, and will roll off the kid's head which gives the adults something to laugh at without it feeling forced in. The writing by John Logan is well-written, and when it does the reveal that you know is coming, it's very long which can depress some viewers, but it's worth it as it gets to one of the coolest cameos in this movie. There are a lot of stuff in there that are actually adult, whether it be cursing, smoking, chewing tobacco, or sex jokes, it's unexpected when you see that from a kids film, which I'm glad to see that it has the right to be a PG movie, even though it could've easily been a PG-13. It's really smart, and has enough funny humor in there that doesn't make the film boring. Rango is the type of western that I'll keep rewatching like Django Unchained because I love the film so much that it's Gore Verbinski's masterpiece.
December 8, 2016
While the story is a tad predictable and recycled, the good comedy, amazing animation and fun characters make this movie very enjoyable.
½ November 21, 2016
Love this beautiful animated movie.
½ November 15, 2016
There are some good bits, but it doesn't really hold together all that well.
October 3, 2016
An enjoyable movie for anybody with its clever dialogue, artistic style, homage to classic westerns, and the funny, likable title character.
½ September 19, 2016
Incredible animation and very quirky touches make this an eye-popping western with a difference. Anyone versed in the western genre is bound to get a kick out of this.
½ September 18, 2016
Pretty good animation where the main character carries the plot along nicely. Not much to work with in terms of supporting characters but it's an easy light hearted film. Nothing special but not too shabby.
September 12, 2016
With stunning photorealistic CGI, entertaining Western action and plenty of laughs, the Oscar-winning Rango is not only a fun and enjoyable film but it's also the best animated film from Nickelodeon Movies in years while also proving that Gore Verbinski has an unexpected knack for animated films.
September 11, 2016
Rango's allusions to the legendary figures and features of its predominant narrative genre lather its already thrilling entertainment with inspiring depth to produce a classic whole -- one that is among the most enjoyable films of 2011 and arguably the best non-Pixar computer-animated movie ever. It doesn't hurt that it's also one of the most gorgeously textured films in memory.
September 5, 2016
Many obvious references to Chinatown, Johnny Depp's vocal performance and the animation are on point, but this is pretty boring
August 29, 2016
I wasn't expecting Rango to be any good when I first saw the trailer a while back. It looked to me like your typically smug production line animated film that was soon to be forgotten in everyones minds. I was wrong. Rango is a terrifically clever film that will entertain both children and parents alike. The voice over performances are all around great. Johnny Depp shows great enthusiasm for the titular role and it also makes references to Johnny Depp's previous enigmatic dream like picture "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas". For me that reference was a hilarious in-joke. Like Fear And Loathing Rango is visually creative, eye popping and surrealist and mysterious with just enough substance addressing environmental issues to balance itself out with the bright colours and animated environments. There were two sex references in it that may put some off, but I think this is slightly more of an adult film than a children's slapstick comedy.
August 3, 2016
I am going to be able to get a chance to watch the movie
½ July 24, 2016
Rango is a chameleon. Literally. He is wandering through the desert, having escaped the clutches of a hawk, when he stumbles into the town of Dirt. After massively exaggerating his skills as a gunfighter, challenging the town hoodlum to a duel and (accidentally) killing the town's greatest menace, a large hawk, he is made Sheriff of the town. It is then that he discovers that the town has a massive water shortage. After chasing down some outsiders who robbed the bank, it appears the reason for the shortage may be due to intentional interference, and may be close to home.

Good fun. Started pretty badly - plot was over the place and it appeared you needed to be high to enjoy it. However, from a point, around about the saloon scene, the movie finds focus and kicks up several notches. Ends having a decent plot (though a tad derivative of Chinatown), some good humour, great CGI and good action sequences.

Vocal casting is spot-on, with Johnny Depp to the fore as Rango. All-star supporting cast delivers in spades.
July 17, 2016
One of the most unique movies ever made.
July 14, 2016
This was the Best Animated Film ever! Rango deserves this good rating! i Mean the Animation was literally Good loooking and nice! i Loved Rango and Johnny Depp voicing him. I think Rango is a Funny action Number 1 Movie for everyone to watch! and it's Made by Nickelodeon which is more Awesome! Rango is the Best movie i ever seen so far in my life!