Ravenous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ravenous Reviews

½ March 25, 2017
"Ravenous" is a period-piece slasher mixed with native american mythology and a bit of dark humor. The music, the plot, and the acting all work together fantastically to create a truly unique and enjoyable film.
March 14, 2017
Great movie, I shouldn't like it. But somehow I just love this film, the music, guy pierce, robert carlyle and a mischievous sense of humour, not to mention sound effects as the titles come in. awesome.
March 5, 2017
Very different kind of movie...part western..part horror movie..but well done...good cast as well
December 31, 2016
I'll never understand why critics didn't eat this one up. Great movie.
November 26, 2016
Malgré les nombreuses incohérences, j'adore ce film
½ October 28, 2016
The title is not the only similarity to the Revenant, it looks like that film as well, a strange coincidence, probably. If you liked that, you'll probably like this, it's not a bad film but the subject matter is a little hard to swallow.
August 19, 2016
Ravenous is one of my favorite movies of all time. Caught me completely by surprise and to date is still one of the most truly terrifying movies I've ever seen. The ("eccentric"?) music is probably the best part. It does an amazing job of setting the tone of the scene pulling you out of your and into the story. And i thought the performances of every actor in the film were amazing. Even Arquette's character, who doesn't seem to fit, still makes me laugh. Anyway, yeah, this was the last movie that ever made me lose sleep. Definitely worth a watch.
July 19, 2016
Fun but forgettable.
June 17, 2016
For me it is always a pleasure to see Guy Pearce on screen. Ravenous is one of my favorite movies. Although I am not a fan of horror films - this film stands out in its own genre for me. It is full of philosophy, human interactions and American history.
June 15, 2016
The messiest film I've never been able to let go of.
April 13, 2016
Based on the legend of Alfred Packer, Ravenous is a supernatural spin on the original story by introducing the mythical wendigo into this tale of cannibalism. It was darkly humourous, everyone performed well beyond expectation even though the budget is only suited for a B movie.
April 10, 2016
Bloody good fun and likely a movie not many have seen. If you liked the Revenant and/or cannibals you should probably check this out. Guy Pearce and Robert Carlyle are both great actors.
½ April 10, 2016
Where this film should have been dark, sinister, terrifying it actually comes across as slightly comical, wacky and a bit silly. It's a shame because there could have been a good film here but for some very strange and questionable decisions by a somewhat inexperienced (or possibly just clueless) director.
April 2, 2016
Excellently plotted and totally chilling & gory suspense thriller, with a healthy does of high drama added to the mix. Highly underrated film that is often overlooked due to the disturbing context, and darker questions about the nature of man and his survival instincts.
½ March 26, 2016
Gory & Disturbing. Not My Thing. Leave It At That..Ugh.
March 12, 2016
This movie is fantastic, but you cannot go into it thinking it's a normal sort of horror movie. The horror is in the choices the characters make, rather than a standard slasher flick. It's a psychological horror, rather than what you typically expect from America's horror genre.

The acting and cinematography are great, beautiful scenery, actually nice costumes that fit the period. Guy Pearce and Robert Carlyle are fantastic in this film, and while straying a little from the Wendigo mythology, it still kept pretty true to heart of it; it's a monster and all it does is devour. It's sad that this is rated so low on here.

If you like more psychological horror, this is your type of movie.
February 20, 2016
Kind of a weak plot but the acting was superb in my opinion. Especially the acting of Robert Carlyle and Pearce.
½ January 28, 2016
Pretty good flick if you're expectations are modest. Funny at times and some good horror elements. Has a B movie feel.
½ January 16, 2016
I was buried alive.

Captain John Boyd resides in an outpost in the middle of nowhere. He has a very dark and disturbing past when he had to do the unthinkable to survive. When a group from the camp turn up missing, the Captain lead the men on a search party where they find clues that mirror his nightmares...

"No local weed, no peyote, and no women..."

Antonia Bird, director of Priest, Mad Love, Face, The Hamburg Cell, Submariners, A Masculin Ending, Care, Rehab, and Cracker, delivers Ravenous. The storyline for this is interesting in a 13th Warrior kind of way. The action and gore are well done and I enjoyed the setting. The acting is better than average and the cast includes Guy Pearce, Robert Carlyle, David Arquette, Jeremy Davies, and Neal McDonough.

"Something had changed."

I came across this on Netflix and always wanted to watch this again. This is an entertaining and well paced picture with a nice mixture of gore and unique premises. Overall, this is entertaining and worth a viewing but far from a classic.

"You're dead. You're safe now."

Grade: C+/B-
½ September 9, 2015
Ravenous is a messy, goofy, totally entertaining and undeniably unique horror film