The Reader - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Reader Reviews

December 19, 2016
This was absolutely a phenomenal movie! Kate Winslet was excellent in her role of Hanna Schmitz. What a great movie to watch. This is a movie that I'll watch over and over again because it's such a great movie.
½ December 17, 2016
this was not what i thought it was going to be; it was very scandalous - then frustrating, then sad, then happy, then sad again. not bad.
November 28, 2016
What a deep movie! The first 30-45 minutes with the affair was the most enjoyable and emotion filled portions of the movie. There were definitely some cool cinematic shots in terms of reflections, framing, and lighting and it really was filled with happiness. The last two thirds of the movie landed itself on the serious side as we explored the trial and later life of Michael. It's not a movie you watch to end up feeling happy but it explored some real life situations that some of us can relate to.
½ November 22, 2016
I found this film odd and disappointing. The first part of the movie focuses on a 15 year old boy's affair with a woman in her 30s in post WWII Germany. The film seems to take no position on this relationship, where the boy spends a summer reading books to this woman and sleeping with her after camp. She abruptly moves away without notice, leaving him to return to his age appropriate friends. Years later he finds himself in law school only to see her on trial for war crimes as a Nazi soldier while on a field trip. He realizes during the trial that while she is found to be the leader of the six women on trial, she in fact could not have written the smoking gun report, as she is illiterate. She spends 20 years in prison and as an adult he sponsors her release, only for her to take her life. While the movie raised issues of whether we are all guilty of not speaking up when we should, and exploring the idea that just because a person does one horrible thing it doesn't mean they are evil. At the same time, Kate Winslet's character is not overly sympathetic and I was left wondering, what is the point? Why should we feel sorry for a pedophile nazi war criminal? Does her caring relationship with him absolve her of any wrong doing? Does her lesser role as a guard prevent her from being a war criminal? Does her abuse of the boy excuse him remaining silent when he knew her sentence would likely be reduced if he came forward? While thought provoking, overall I didn't feel moved either way. Is the message that we are all just awful?
½ October 23, 2016
Interesting movie seen for the second time...don't know why i waited so long to see this again . Sexy , Smart ... SOMDVD
½ September 25, 2016
Una historia conmovedora, entretenida, las actuaciones son muy buenas, la cinematografía de igual forma, los personajes son agradables y entendibles.
½ September 2, 2016
If you enjoyed Stephen Daldry's 'The Hours,' you will surely enjoy this film. The film beautifully weaves together an emotionally intriguing story, and you strive to understand Hannah and Michael the best you can. What packs this story with complications for the modern viewer is the distance we have from the tensions during the WWII trials. To me this is the central challenge, and this film does a good job in delivering those delicate feelings to us in a beautiful story.
September 1, 2016
Very touching movie with ultra nuanced Kate Winslet performance as former ex-Nazi. The film deals with pretty controversial German guilt theme and deals with great caution.
½ August 21, 2016
Let's not all talk about Winslet's remarkable interpretation, despite her sometimes exagerated theatricality. Such a cast and production could've made something more memorable, although, given the excellent script, it'll remain one of the most peculiar movies around the Holocaust.
August 8, 2016
An emotional rollercoster. I have been wondering wether I love or hate this movie, but I cannot help it, I think it's fantastic.
June 27, 2016
For the most part this was very close to the book but I've learned not to demand perfection from adaptations.  There was one scene that I am heartbroken was not included.  In the book Hana shows up at the pool. Behind the gate she stares at Michael almost accusingly as if to show him that he is the reason she is leaving.  I did like the film's faithfulness to the book but I didn't like the odd added relationship between adult Michael and his adult daughter.  What was the purpose of this?  I do recommend this but before you see it read the very short book.
May 10, 2016
Another catch up film of the past that I missed. Hands down, Kate Winslet's best performance to date IMHO. The melancholic performances in this film really carried the movie from being just another Oscar bait title. This one will forever depress me forever, I feel.
March 26, 2016
The Reader is a multi-layered period drama split into three distinct sections with the first following a graphic love affair between a 15 year-old boy and an adult female, the second section focusing on the slightly older boy studying law and taking part in a court case that the woman is being tried in and the third portion centers on the now grown-up boy reminiscing about their time together while she serves a life sentence for Nazi war crimes. Based on the German novel of the same name, the film is an extremely faithful adaptation of the book, to the point where I actually wish I had read the book instead because the story isn't exactly cinematic. What I mean by that is it's a very engaging story, but it's told in a very direct way and with my knowledge of film structure, I was able to predict all of the major beats in the film and the big revelation, that I otherwise may not have picked up as quickly while reading. The film is marvelously acted by Kate Winslet as Hanna Schmitz who harbors a humiliating secret and she plays the character with a sad, innocence well-deserving of her oscar win. David Kross was also great as the young man seduced into a life-changing experience that will forever alter his future and Ralph Fiennes also does exceptional work as the older version of him. The first section of the film is quite explicit and it's a bit uncomfortable watching a 15 year-old (the actor was actually 18) engage in so many sex scenes with a grown woman, thus I can only recommend this film for mature audiences. This is a deeply emotional film with terrific performances and excellent direction, but I do feel the book would be a more rewarding experience as I was able to predict most of the film.
½ February 28, 2016
The Reader is a simply told story of one young man's coming of age love affair with a mysterious and guarded older woman sharply reflecting the conflicts between Germany's war and post-war generations.

A testament to the talent of late producers Sydney Pollack and Anthony Minghella, their ability to reach into situations and embrace issues that confront society have produced some of cinemas greatest moments is a treasured legacy.

This adaption of Bernhard Schlink's controversial 1995 novel Der Vorleser (The Reader) by screenwriter David Hare and director Stephen Daldry is poignant, timeless and moving.

Approaching one of the century's most genuinely disturbing issues, The Reader finds a balance between the need for post-Nazi war crime justice and coming of age romantic eroticism.

The Reader opens in 1995 Berlin, introducing an aloof and emotionally numbed attorney Michael (Ralph Fiennes); swiftly we are transported back to 1958, where Michael's younger self (played exceptionally well by David Kross) is on his way home from school and is stricken down with what later turns out to be scarlet fever.

Happening upon Michael vomiting in her apartment entrance, Tram ticket handler Hanna Schmitz (Oscar winner Kate Winslet) with a gruff and unapproachable manor, first scrubs the area clean then assists Michael in returning home in that order.

After months of isolated recuperation, Michael returns to show his appreciation for Hanna's assistance. However, Michael's visiting intentions are more than to show his modest appreciation, his sexual desires and intentions are obvious when he purposefully makes a mess of himself creating a need to be naked and bathe.

Hanna playing the game and supposedly not wanting to send him home dirty draws him a bath. Using her sexual directness Hanna kindly relives the naive Michael of his virginity and sets the tone of their summer long relationship.

Dictating their bedroom rituals with her distantness and military style orders, before Michael (or as he is affectionately nicknamed, Kid) can have Hanna intimately he must read to her from his school books including the likes of Twain, Homer and Chekhov.

One day shortly after Michael's sixteenth birthday, he comes to visit as usual only to find Hanna has gone. No note, no reason, never to be heard from again.

Eight years later, Michael attends a war-crime trail as a law student in Heidelberg. From the balcony of the court room Michael is started when he hears Hanna's voice from the defendant's bench. As one of half a dozen who committed a particularly atrocious mass murder, described in the bestselling memoir of a Holocaust survivor, Hanna was an SS camp guard at Auschwitz.

Michael endures the trail, becoming increasingly shaken by the evidence that his first love is, by any standard, a monster. Accused as the mastermind behind a mass murder of over 300 Nazi prisoners, Hanna is coerced into admitting full guilt.

How does one deal with a lover who is a monster? One can only condemn her; but in that condemnation, where lies the process of understanding? Holding the key to her salvation through his personal knowledge of Hanna can Michael grant atonement?

Winslet with her classical Hollywood grace delivers a typically intelligent performance. Bring deep shades of light and dark whilst remaining emersed in the shadows of a war ravished and morally destroyed soul.
Kross delivers a gutsy and intense performance, complimented by Fiennes' emotionally and morally tormented older portrayal there is a strong continuity of character.

The Reader's light and humanising approach to its second halves distressing topic of Auschwitz torment does not linger. Commonly, films based on this instant rely on shock scenes and vulgarity, in The Reader there is none; there is only one single artful flash back that brings understanding not pain.

The film does have flaws and was rightfully passed over not receiving the best picture nod. The over done early intimacy scenes although tastefully done is a heavy and clumpy, and the lack of grasp on a solid timeline is jumpy and disjointed.

The Verdict: It is easy to knock films for their flaws, but to sit through one and be taken from a young joyful romance into a harrowing case for justice and feeling the extremes of compassion and condemnation for the same character is rare.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 27/02/2009
February 7, 2016
Fiennes..in a war torn romance..have to say..looks good
February 3, 2016
The Reader may have its flaws, but Kate Winslet´s mesmerizing multi layered performance elevates this thought provoking historical drama.
January 17, 2016
as hugh jackman would say...I didnt see the reader.
January 17, 2016
My opinion of Kate Winslet has changed for the better since she took a few more less flattering roles; this type of role suits her a lot better than some period drama, thanks to Keira Knightly for unburdening her of this curse. This is a very good film, great story, and good performances all round.
January 11, 2016
La plus grande qualité du film de Daldry est d'être intensément émouvant et touchant. Le jeu des acteurs est aussi très crédible et aide sans doute à rendre les émotions... Un film à la fois triste et beau. Moment intense.