The Reader - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Reader Reviews

February 15, 2018
interesting movie kate sure like to be naked with the young boy
February 6, 2018
Winslet and Fiennes, two of my most favourite actor's I have to see this!
January 30, 2018
amazing movie, Kate Winslet was impecable
½ January 14, 2018
very excellent rendition of the book - a story that must be told - the 'ludicrosity' of holding the main character responsible for Nazi crimes given what she did - a poor uneducated illiterate woman - and what all the other Nazis did and were never held accountable for in 1945 in any way - makes one realize the absurdity of the time, early 1960's.
½ January 6, 2018
The plot is really good. Another actress might have supported the film better. Too much of a melodrama on the face of the actress. Not much of a good understanding for the face of the female role. A nice approach on behalf of Bruno Ganz.
December 16, 2017
Quite a different and interesting approach to a very sensitive subject, despite its many obvious flaws.
October 30, 2017
Nice Transition Of Book-To-Film Example, The Story Is Explored In Detail With The Twists & Turns Revealed Ever So Well, With Subtlety & Finese.
October 20, 2017
All about life's way
½ September 24, 2017
Drags quite a bit at the end and I have no idea why Michael is still attached to this murdering Nazi, so that's a bit frustrating.
July 18, 2017
There is a straight forward narrative process throughout this intelligent and engaging piece about the aftermath of the Holocaust, but the undercurrent, about how we ruin love by our incomprehensible desire to tell it what we want it to be, is a symphony of waste and regret for which we want to deny responsibility. Winslet got an Oscar for her intelligent portrayal of a simple girl.
June 9, 2017
Wow! Very brave scenes from Kate but they are too much love scenes which didnt draw my attention,the first 20 minutes weren't important for me,but then the movie is getting better and better and better!Its getting more interesting,more exciting,more dramatic... i couldn't stop crying at the end.The name 'The Reader' has a wonderful pregnancy for this movie.A fascinating,brilliant performance by Kate Winslet !!! Thank God she got the oscar for this performance!!! She's born for making dramatic movies like that!God bless u :)
May 27, 2017
I found this movie very touching, and moving. I was crying about half the time during the film. Kate Winslet found a way to penetrate my heart in almost every movie she is in. This movie has great performances, the cinematography fantastic, and the design of the film (costumes, set etc) was great. However this film suffers from a weaker screenplay comparing it to other Oscar nominated films. But the book was also strange. I can understand why people consider this to be--purely made to be shoved down the Academy Awards' throat, but I watched this film and I was truly captivated, but I do believe that it was Kate Winslet's performance that carried the movie.
May 25, 2017
Slow burn of a movie about long ago first love. Just awesome. Kate Winslet deserved her Oscar. I think people dislike this movie because Kate gets naked in it and has sex with a 15 year old boy. But I saw it as one of my favorite romance movies ever.
April 18, 2017
Kate Winslet's Academy Award, BAFTA, SAG, Golden Globe movie...She definitely knows how to portray a complex character full of concerns throughout the entire movie, aware of doing something she shouldn't, tried for her horribles holocaust crimes and haunted by the ghosts of her past. She is the soul of the movie.
½ March 10, 2017
A captivating and moving holocaust drama that challenges ethical decisions on a number of issues. It is both bold and provocative in its nature but doesn't always seem genuine. Winslet and her young counterpart do wonders here and Fiennes just makes it all the better
March 2, 2017
Stephen Daldry manages to move Bernhard Schlink's great novel to the big screen, being a painful and touching story that shows the struggle between emotions against ethics and moral values, coming out the most difficult decisions which in life never end. The holocaust is approached from a challenging but well executed perspective where the uncertainties in thought and feeling and the feelings of guilt abound throughout the plot amazingly.
½ March 1, 2017
With the combination of Kate Winslet's incredible performance and Ralph Fiennes's compelling portrayal, The Reader is an absorbing, affectionate, complex, and heartbreaking post-war drama.
February 27, 2017
Much better than expected! A complicated move....
February 16, 2017
Kate Winslet was great in this film, totally deserving while The Reader just suffers from Oscar-bait tropes and a weird time gap with plot holes that aren't filled up. Also this film was nominated over two other films, but I won't say as you probably know what they are
February 12, 2017
Disgusting and dull. (First and only viewing - 3/15/2010)