Ready to Wear (Prêt-à-Porter) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ready to Wear (Prêt-à-Porter) Reviews

May 28, 2015
another winner from Roibert Altman
April 17, 2015
I feel bad for brilliant directors. They make one movie that isn't as great as their many other masterpieces and BAM! - it's thrown into the trash heap, classified as a miserable pile of dookie. Some (critics) like to designate a less successful film as an interesting mess; what they really mean, though, is that they can't decide if they liked the film or not - but one thing is for sure: it wasn't as good as (insert Oscar adored movie from a multiple-award winning director here). It's unavoidable - everyone wants an Orson Welles to have a career full of "Citizen Kanes", nothing experimental, nothing tricky. Sigh. People are human, you know. It's hard to make a masterpiece!
As an admirer of Robert Altman's work ("Nashville", "Short Cuts"), even the slightest of a failure remains watchable to me. Is it the overlapping dialogue? The devastatingly star-studded casts? The magnificent giganticness of the plot, the characters, the script? Not all of Altman's films are equally chatty - he is capable of going gloomy and dry ("Thieves Like Us", "The Long Goodbye") - but when he wants to go all out he goes all out. "The Player", a Hollywood satire, featured nearly sixty celebrities making random cameos for the sake of making a cameo. "Nashville" had twenty-four main characters, all of them somehow as well-characterized as the last.
"Ready to Wear", a fashion week parody, comes directly after "The Player" and "Short Cuts" - Altman's biggest successes of the 1990s - and it continues the trend of a large cast and cheerfully rambling dialogue. But arriving in the shadow of these terror twins can only be described as a sort of curse. Three is hardly a magic number, and "Ready to Wear" learned that all too soon, considering the critical destruction it faced upon its release. Altman died in 2006, his legacy coming in the form of the films I mentioned earlier; "Ready to Wear", in the meantime, got filed away in the reject folder.
I've spoiled myself these last few years. I have only sat through Altman movies Ebert promised I would like - and I have yet to see one that I haven't admired in some way or another. "Ready to Wear" is my first wild card (it currently holds a 26% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, panned for "not being mean enough", "not being focused enough", etc). 133 minutes later, I can confidently say that I don't understand the lack of love for "Ready to Wear".
Fine, the humor isn't as sharp as it could be (this is supposed to be a satire, after all). Okay, Altman and his co-screenwriter, Barbara Shulgasser, aren't decisive enough to really make consistent characters out of the massive ensemble. But I like "Ready to Wear", along with its hiccups. Things to like include the setting, Paris, of all places; how extensive this fictional fashion week is, loaded with brilliantly timed cameos and dynamic catwalk sequences (soundtracked with Salt-N-Peppa, Björk, more); and, most significantly, the cast, which is possibly too ravishing to resist, including Sophia Loren, Marcello Mastroianni, Lauren Bacall, (a scene-stealing) Kim Basinger, Julia Roberts, Tim Robbins, Forest Whitaker, Tracey Ullman, Sally Kellerman, Lili Taylor, Teri Garr and Lyle Lovett. Some portray insiders, some out, all compelling.
Problematic and sprawling as it is, "Ready to Wear" keeps us busy and keeps things charming - finding ourselves entertained is accidental. There's so much going on, so much to enjoy. So stop, please stop, thinking and comparing and underrating "Ready to Wear" because of "Nashville" and "Short Cuts" and "M*A*S*H" and "The Player". You'll have a better time that way. There's much to savor. Altman pays homage to 1963's "Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow" by recreating its striptease scene with its now senior stars, Loren and Mastroianni, and the final sequence, featuring a scad of gorgeous (and nude) models, cements the film's carefree approach to do whatever the hell it wants. Sure, you should watch one of the Altman greats first (I won't name them again), but "Ready to Wear" acts as a smart pastime. You can't get all this from the September issue anyway.
January 17, 2015
Pudo ser mejor, excelente reparto.
½ January 17, 2015
Altman's slick directing, with a snazzy and peppy soundtrack, and a veritable cornucopia of top actors keep things moving along well enough in his 1994 fashion satire to avoid boredom. But, unlike his other multi-strand tales like 'Nashville' and 'Short Cuts', the various stories never feel as satisfying or well connected,. Several of them feel almost perfunctory and having nothing to do with the fashion trade (especially the Robbins-Roberts & Everett threads, neither of which feel important and lack full resolution) and then, even the ones that do offer nothing biting, insightful or new to say about this business.
September 21, 2014
This film is a delightful, breezy ensemble piece about the world of high fashion that ends on a profound note. The different intersecting plots are unpredictable and the improvisational acting techniques lead to many hilarious witty moments. The fashions themselves are center stage and for anyone who appreciates the (ridiculous) beauty of high fashion, this movie is a good time. For those (many) who disliked it, I would advise them to squint a little past its imperfections. Ready to Wear is a work of impressionism, more beautiful when you step back and see it as a whole.
½ September 2, 2014
Altman's lighthearted, amusing and unfairly underrated satire on the fashion industry is a sharp ensemble piece of celebrities, designers and reporters as they meet and stumble across one another at the "prêt-à-porter" extravaganza of Paris Fashion Week.
August 23, 2014
Visually stunning and hysterically funny sendup of haute couture
½ June 23, 2014
I got the feeling that Altman didn't really have any idea what he wanted to say with this film (which he later conceded in a TV interview).
½ June 4, 2014
There is a running gag throughout this satire on the fashion industry where characters repeatedly step in dog excrement - a perfect representation for what a stinker this movie is. Set during Paris Fashion Week, this Robert Altman film is a shallow, rambling mess that sustains little interest with a startling lack of insight into a culture ripe for an astute satire. Altman has assembled a large collection of actors for an unfocussed, almost lighthearted romp that removes the sting one would expect from the director. Inconceivably, the effects of eating disorders on the industry are ignored. On a more basic level, there is no real story here and the people are rarely more than caricatures. Altman loves to deconstruct revered institutions but he has nothing pertinent to say here. (Marcello Matroianni and Sophia Loren reprise their famous striptease from "Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow.") The original title onscreen is in French, "Pret-a-Porter." Written by Altman and Barbara Shulgasser. With Anouk Aimee, Rupert Everett, Julia Roberts, Tim Robbins, Kim Basinger, Stephen Rea, Forest Whitaker, Richard E. Grant, Lauren Bacall, Lili Taylor, Sally Kellerman, Tracey Ullman, Linda Hunt, Teri Garr, Danny Aiello, Lyle Lovett; plus numerous celebrities, designers, and models appear as themselves.
November 29, 2013
Predictable story but I truly enjoyed all super stars in Fashion biz!
½ May 7, 2013
A lot of nothing. From the beginning, the audience watching Ready to Wear will be ready to sleep.
½ January 27, 2013
Great Satirical look at the fashion industry lots of toprate actors. This movie really didn't get the attention it deserves. film is 2hrs. 13 min of suspense, laughter, mayhem and drama galore. See it.
December 7, 2012
Worth watching want to see!
½ September 23, 2012
What about Anouk Amie?What about the repartee? Very clever and fun! It turned my kids into film enthusiasts!
July 23, 2012
Liked it. Kinda funny.
½ June 28, 2012
Despite Runway shows, and Runway music, The movie, The satire, feels like half-scripted and going nowhere.
April 15, 2012
I tried four different times to watch this over two hours, but even though it has a cast of thousands (31 stars I guess), it has no continuity and puts you to sleep
April 7, 2012
Robert Altman's "Ready to Wear" is far to fluffy to be a significant satire. After the master class double feature of "The Player" and "Short Cuts," Altman tried to combine the structures of each of those films for "Ready to Wear." The result is a misguided, light as a feather comedy about the fashion industry. While the film is fast paced, the lack of any true story or thematic line is missing. There are glimpses of these, which give the appearance that the film could have been more than it is, but it is ultimately pat. But still, "Ready to Wear" can never be called bad, because it's fun, has a great cast of actors and a few pointed scenes that make it worthwhile. Should it have been meaner, like "The Player?" Yes. Should it have been as emotionally resonant as "Short Cuts?" Yes. But "Ready to Wear" is neither of these things and as it stands, it's just light fun.
½ January 5, 2012
Robert Altman's ADD was in full effect when he made this movie. And, it's a mess. A huge mess. But, it's like looking at an artist's sketch book. There's some really cool stuff here: the music, the all-star cast, Altman's probing camera. If you're in the mood... don't expect great storytelling... just soak it in.
July 28, 2011
okay...i don't know why this movie has a 27% rating. i want this movie to be drudged up and remembered well.