Real Steel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Real Steel Reviews

October 11, 2016
My favorite future time ð??¥.
½ August 27, 2016
New movie and new direction like it
August 21, 2016
One of the best movies I've ever watched.
August 16, 2016
I enjoyed this movie with the battle of the giant robots along with the personal story with the kid
August 8, 2016
A pleasant surprise!
I thought the movie was entertaining from start to finish, I mean come one, who doesn't like fighting robots? But this film was special, it wasn't just a robot boxing movie, it was an under-dog story which was well-made and the casting for Hugh Jackman as the lead character was great and he himself praised the movie. Also the boxing scenes were very very well-done and were thrilling especially in the final act of the movie.
So in short, if you like boxing movies but want to see a unique one then would recommend it for you. But if you don't like robots then at least try this out and see what you think about it.

Overall score: 8/10 (Great).
½ July 30, 2016
Good movie, a little cheesy though
½ July 10, 2016
Great movie, but not without moments of cheesiness
July 9, 2016
esta pelicula me encanto , las actuaciones son buenísimas no se por que no hicieron una secuela
½ July 1, 2016
Hugh Jackman? Maybe I am too old for this one. Perhaps more for the 10-12yo market (or equivalent).
½ June 6, 2016
Good film and good special effects, The fight scenes were done well you can see what's happening without it being in slow motion all the time like Transformers was, A little more drama than I thought and the last fight scene was allot like a Rocky fight but still a fun film worth adding to your collection.
March 27, 2016
A great action film that not only delivers some stand-and-cheer scenes but teaches the lesson of the importance of family bonds and teamwork. I recommend this movie to all and hope to see a sequel
March 23, 2016
I like the movie and I have the game
March 6, 2016
Despite relying heavily on clichés and already-used plot points, Real Steel is a very memorable film that presents an enjoyable underdog tale with thrilling action sequences and an awesome core concept, even if its characters are only slightly interesting.
March 1, 2016
Initially dreaded as yet another clunking, smashing and fighting robot fantasy, Real Steel is actually a gritty and unique white-knuckle fun story. Set in the not-to-distinct future, normal human fisticuff boxing is obsolete and has been replaced by behemoth machines brutally delivering smack-downs to the death.

An odd blend with the textured secondary (only due to its subtlety) storyline of sentimentality as a down-on-his-luck father and wise guy estranged son are forced together and must find common ground.

After losing his shot at a world title, washed-up boxer Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman) has turned hustler. Forced out of the ring by 2000 pound, 8 foot-tall steel robots, Charlie is now reduced to the menial position of struggling small-time promoter for those machines that took his lively-hood, self-respect and dignity.

Owing money in every which direction, Charlie skips town after each sour bout before collection and the inevitable dose of grievous bodily harm. Charlie's myriad of bad decisions forces him to scavenge scrap-yards to cobble remnants of low-end bots into something barely worthy of illegal underground matches.

Unable to pay rent, Charlie is reluctantly being forced out of his gym-home by long-time suffering friend and once avid ringside supporter Bailey (Evangeline Lily). Hitting rock bottom with a resounding thud, things couldn't get any more difficult. Until his past comes knocking on the door.

Unaware that his estranged 11 year old son Max (Dakota Goyo) is now orphaned Charlie is ordered to a custody hearing. Needing money more than a surprise dependant, Charlie has no qualms in offering to sell his parental rights to Max's wealthy Aunt (Hope Davis) and Uncle (James Rebhorn) for a tidy sum.

There is a catch however, the perspective purchasers are off to Europe for the summer and Charlie gets half of the loot now and Max stays behind in his incapable care until their return.

The two headstrong males clash more than the titans Charlie manages and when the overly cocky Charlie ignores Max's cautionary warnings about an overly ambitious fight, Charlies shamefully destroys his parental down-payment paid for new robot gladiator.

Showing the same street smarts, determination and pure tenacity as his father Max discovers a totally complete discarded robot, named Atom. Sanguine in the idea that Atom is something special and can become a true championship contender, Max cleans his second generation reject pet project and orders Charlie to get him a fight.

Quickly discovering he is not the only hustler in the family, Charlie is roped into assisting his son in navigating the minor leagues. With Charlie's boxing know-how, Max's sheer enthusiasm, and Atom's abilities with a unique shadow function, their hopeful rise to the top isn't without its challenges.

In the brutal no-holds-barred championship arena, underdog Atom faces off against the imposing perfectly engineered Zeus and the rag tag trio get one last chance at a comeback.

High-tech but with a human side, this sci-fi action doesn't badger viewers with convoluted and overtly flashy designs. Employing a Rocky Balboa determination that inspires action rather than gimmicky and visually insulting transformations, this is turbo charged machine movie with heart.

Australia's favorite loveable larrikin Jackman exudes his usual likable charm; the required gruff, rough and tough portrayal hints at the genuine refinement lurking just below the surface. Spunky newcomer Goyo delivers on the right amount of precociousness to make this discarded child trying to teach his childish father a valuable lesson endearing.

The Verdict: Delivering more than just ring-side thrills, there are some gorgeous little moments of levity and innocence. The marriage of dancing, boxing and anti-hero Jackman is destined to become a winner no matter what the outcome.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 21/10/2011
½ February 28, 2016
Real Steel was awesome. Hugh Jackman is so good as a father who out of blue has to take care of his son who he hasn't seen ever and find a way to build a boxing robot. Its a short we've seen before but its so cool watching. His son gets a little annoying at times, but Real Steel is a fun filled sci-fi boxing film anybody can love
February 24, 2016
Boring characters, boring movie, the visuals are good though.
½ February 21, 2016
Great Movie, Great Cast!

Originally written October 21, 2011--
What a fun movie! The idea that robots can fight each other in a boxing ring kind of like the old "Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em" robots has been taken to the next level in this fun film. Hugh Jackman gives an awesome performance as a former boxer trying to relive his glory days. He's selfish, he's childish, and in the words of another character, "a bad bet." It takes an unlikely reunion and summer road trip with his estranged 11-year old son with a "bot" they build together and start winning fights with to help him realize what's truly important. Great family film!
February 10, 2016
It's Rocky mixed with transformers what's not to like about it? Well, it's not for everyone that's for sure. The difference between the action in this movie and transformers is that in this one you can actually tell what's happening! It's every little boy's dream to have life-sized rockem' sockem' robots! The story is a predictable sports drama but it has a really cool concept that makes me feel like a kid again. Hugh Jackman never ceases to impress me. Not everyone seems to like this one as much as I do, but, hey, it's my opinion.
January 24, 2016
I just watched this again and needed to change my review. I love so many things about this movie. The way Atom becomes almost human, the way the underdog that everyone considered too small, obsolete and weak triumphs over adversity, the way that mirrors Charlie's own story, the way Charlie finds redemption, the joy as he does so, the way his relationship with his son develops...I think the most powerful thing for me though is how Atom shows what it means to take punishment but never quit. That is perhaps the best metaphor for life there is. So yeah, I may have cried a bit. You're really going to find yourself rooting for that robot.
January 24, 2016
This is my favorite movie of all time. The character development is stellar and it makes you feel what the characters feel. I must have seen this film over 60 times, and I still yell and cry at times. By the end, you feel as though you know the characters and they have a place in your heart (I know, cheesy right). All in all, I make all of my friends watch it at least once; it's stellar quality and joy will make it a film you won't forget.