Real Steel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Real Steel Reviews

½ January 5, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 24, 2016
A fun joyable movie with just enough
amount of action
December 15, 2016
Real Steel is directed by Shawn Levy, and it stars Hugh Jackman, Dakota Goyo, and Evangeline Lilly in a science fiction film about a one time boxer that is desperate to make money from controlling a robot to knock the other robot fighter down, but he's not good at it, he has to deal with his own son who he abandoned, and an old robot that's fresh out in the junkyard. I remember being excited for it half a decade ago, and liked it just fine. Since I came across it on DirecTV, I watched it, and still enjoyed it. The acting is great, and Hugh Jackman gives off a terrific performance as he usually does. I like the fact that the robots are animatronic when standing up, and computer animated when they're fighting as they both look really good. The plot is really nothing special as it's like your typical fighting film with a little bit of Rocky but with robots. The characters have enough development for me to care about them, and the action scenes are a lot of fun to watch. There are some interesting aspects of the way the robots are portrayed, but they're elements that you want to know more about, but weren't given much of an explanation. It is predictable, but you expect that from this type of film, and I like the chemistry between the father and son as they give off a lot of funny moments and good dialogue. Real Steel is a great film that could've given a lot out of the future aspect of the film, but it's still a fun one to watch.
December 2, 2016
A sure entertaining instant classic for the family to enjoy!
November 27, 2016
esta pelicula me encanto , las actuaciones son buenÝsimas no se por que no hicieron una secuela
November 25, 2016
Interesting and enjoyable. Hugh Jackman is great.
November 23, 2016
More enjoyable than I thought it was going to be. Worth a watch.
November 18, 2016
its a really good movie and cool­???­???­???.
November 9, 2016
When you peer through the semi-impressive visuals, this movie ultimately melts down to an inconsistent and generic flick.

Set years into the future, the phenomenon of robot boxing has taken over the world. In one of the most exciting sports, we follow the story of Charlie Kenton, a former pro-boxer. As he tries to make a living fighting robots, he eventually gets stuck with his 11-year old son, left to him from his deceased ex. The two have to learn to work together as they each try and create a relationship between Father and son.

I've watched this movie a few times now, and sadly, it's progressively lost its spark through each watch through. As I also grow older, it becomes increasingly easier to see past the glitz and glamour, viewing this as a highly flawed and mostly generic film. There's nothing really special about this movie, and it's not even worth devoting your attention to. There are plenty more impressive boxing movies out there, and although this film has a unique attribute to it, I don't think its enough to justify sitting there for two hours.

If you're looking for a quality Hugh Jackman movie, well, this isn't it. Besides the lackluster screenplay and almost laughable dialogue, I don't really like his performance in this movie. His character wasn't very likable, and he was much less redeemable than you'd hope. He spends most the movie showing off his anger issues and arrogant personality, which causes more troubles than it actually solves. Dakota Goyo is good in his role, but his character is just ridiculous. His character definitely comes off as a whiny know-it-all, which really creates some head scratching moments. And keep in mind, this is coming from someone who actually really liked the kid character in "The Babadook".

The visuals were fairly impressive for the most part. I mean, some of the robots look really cool and its a fun movie overall. The premise is fun and the visuals look good enough. They're not the best but they definitely don't compromise the experience at all. When robots are fighting, it looked like real robots were fighting. If there's one thing you can count on, it's a supply of solid visuals and decent actions sequences.

The screenplay and the story were amateur at most. There is really nothing original about the plot and the character arks are nearly non existent. There are a lot of inconsistencies throughout the film that make you question what's going on, and the chain of events either have plot holes or are poorly written.

In the end, "Real Steel" is a decent time, but not if you're looking for anything more than some basic eye candy and robot fights.
October 11, 2016
My favorite future time ­??ą.
½ August 27, 2016
New movie and new direction like it
August 21, 2016
One of the best movies I've ever watched.
August 16, 2016
I enjoyed this movie with the battle of the giant robots along with the personal story with the kid
August 8, 2016
A pleasant surprise!
I thought the movie was entertaining from start to finish, I mean come one, who doesn't like fighting robots? But this film was special, it wasn't just a robot boxing movie, it was an under-dog story which was well-made and the casting for Hugh Jackman as the lead character was great and he himself praised the movie. Also the boxing scenes were very very well-done and were thrilling especially in the final act of the movie.
So in short, if you like boxing movies but want to see a unique one then would recommend it for you. But if you don't like robots then at least try this out and see what you think about it.

Overall score: 8/10 (Great).
½ July 30, 2016
Good movie, a little cheesy though
½ July 10, 2016
Great movie, but not without moments of cheesiness
½ July 1, 2016
Hugh Jackman? Maybe I am too old for this one. Perhaps more for the 10-12yo market (or equivalent).
jamrcla
½ June 6, 2016
Good film and good special effects, The fight scenes were done well you can see what's happening without it being in slow motion all the time like Transformers was, A little more drama than I thought and the last fight scene was allot like a Rocky fight but still a fun film worth adding to your collection.
March 27, 2016
A great action film that not only delivers some stand-and-cheer scenes but teaches the lesson of the importance of family bonds and teamwork. I recommend this movie to all and hope to see a sequel
March 23, 2016
I like the movie and I have the game