Real Steel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Real Steel Reviews

½ December 13, 2017
While I understand the underground boxing ring situation.. the bull fight scene made me want to not watch the rest of the movie. I had a hard time connecting or caring with a character who willingly fought a bull with a remote controlled robot. The action was otherwise not bad, though the story was incredibly derivative. Animal fighting is used in movies to establish "bad morals" of a character. If you really wanted a bull fight scene, why not make one of the bad guys fight a bull and shoe the main characters disgust of what boxing has become since he used to train real fighters?
December 9, 2017
More than expected actually. Fun to watch eventhough it hasn't a conflict that really matters, nice CGI, and love the characters. The relationship between the kid and "the other kid" was great.
November 11, 2017
Great movie hoping for a sequel
November 6, 2017
Absolutely loved this film. Great CGI, great action in the fights. Touched home with the plot in my life. Tons of fun.
½ October 25, 2017
4 stars if you're under 15 years old.
Very very superficial writing here fitting only if you haven't seen this type of movies at all.
August 21, 2017
6.5/10 Very polished effects, great production values. But the best actor is the kid and the plot and dialogue point you towards kindergarten. A great missed opportunity there.
August 3, 2017
A Hugh Jackman star vehicle, basically a Disney-fied Rocky done with robots. You'll see everything coming from a mile away, or at least you won't miss anything when you go to the fridge for Jello squares. The most interesting bit is how it's only implied that the robots might have an actual self awareness w/o ever actually going there.
½ August 3, 2017
Charming in some spots, but flat out annoying in others, Real Steel is the kind of movie that left me wanting more out of what could have been a incredibly enjoyable movie.

While Hugh Jackman does his best to make his already unlikable character, well, likable, (and succeeds to my surprise) the complete lack of respect, obnoxiousness and dirty mouth of the kid is what really ruined this movie for me.
½ June 8, 2017
Super cool film with awesome, fun-to-watch fighting sequences! The robots were visually stunning & look almost real! Even the father-son story arc between Hugh Jackman & Dakota Goyo was really well-done! Enjoy this movie every time I watch it!
½ June 8, 2017
May 31, 2017
Surprisingly, this movie about robot boxing has more heart and emotion than many other films these days. Also: Robot Boxing.
May 22, 2017
Action-packed, heartwarming, and most importantly fun, Real Steel is an underrated gem. The entire cast is fantastic, and the chemistry between Hugh Jackman and Evangeline Lily is strong. The robot fights are a smooth blend of practical effects and CGI, and they're equal parts fun and intense. Overall, this film is a father/son film that uses robot boxing as a backdrop with a side dish of romance, and in that light it succeeds. The first time I saw the film, the final fight between Atom and Zeus had me cheering out loud. It's very rewatchable, and is something the entire family can enjoy.
May 20, 2017
love the movie and want to watch it
May 12, 2017
I liked this movie more when it was called Over the Top.
May 2, 2017
Did not care for it at all.
May 2, 2017
Real Steel, much like its robot protagonist, feels like it has what it shouldn't have... a soul.
April 21, 2017
I can't wait to see this movie.­~­~­~­~
½ April 3, 2017
A highly underrated movie. It has a clever story, solid acting, cool effects, and a perfect pace. Best of all there are no standard hollywood cliche scenes that make one want to hurl. No dumbass car chases or big lines of black cars or even pathetic love scenes.
½ March 30, 2017
Watching this movie I felt like I was somewhere in France. Turns out this is a cheese factory not a movie about boxing robots in the future.

The plot is ridiculous, not necessarily a bad ridiculous, but ridiculous nonetheless. But, whatever, robot boxing in the future, I'll give the creators the benefit of the doubt. Surely there is a visually stimulating film with a decent plot somewhere under that premise. Unfortunately, John Garins couldn't find it. It's a clichÚ underdog sports story, aka Rocky, with some father and son bonding mixed in. The father, Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman), used to be a decent boxer, now is in debt and a bum. There is bad guy who he owes money too. He also has a childhood lady-friend. She is just there so there would be a lady in the movie, no plot reasons really. Along comes the child he abandoned, Max (Dakota Goyo). They despise each other, but robot boxing brings them closer together, because when Charlie wants to give up, Max pushes him to keep going. There is also the defending champion robot and their evil (not really evil though, just snobby) creators.

Every single thing is a clichÚ and there are too many threads. Things like Charlie's past career are just mentioned in passing, so they don't really carry weight. The whole cowboy debt collector side plot was unnecessary past the halfway point of the movie. Also the robot is sentient sort of? Not really clear. And not really clear why it needed to posed as a possibility. And the whole dancing gimmick. Why? WHY?

The worst part of the film is probably the dialogue and the kid. Sure, child actors are never great, but this performance was just awful. Or maybe he was supposed to play an incredibly annoying, unlikable kid. I guess that is a possibility too. Hugh Jackman's acting wasn't bad. But it doesn't help when every other line is him yelling at the robot to throw a punch. In fact, like 30% of the dialogue is just people yelling "Come on!", "Get up!" YEAAAAH!"

Special effects are what you would expect from a rock-em sock-em robots movie, but considering how laughably bad the dialogue and plot of the rest of the movie is, it just doesn't matter
March 12, 2017