Rebel in the Rye - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rebel in the Rye Reviews

½ July 1, 2018
Modesto biopic sobre el escritor Salinger, nada sobresaliente.
June 2, 2018
We've seen the tortured Artist biopic (JD Salinger this go round) many a time and the cliches are here, but nonetheless well done, well acted, and worth seeing.
April 16, 2018
Excellent movie about a difficult subject. If it weren't for WWII, J. D. Salinger's life would've been, in appearance, the most boring ever. But in his head were the thoughts and feelings we all shared and he had the unique talent to express it perfectly. As a fan, it's almost embarrassing to be interested in his personal life when he so desperately wanted to stay separate from Holden Caulfield. As a pennance I will read the book for the nth time.
March 26, 2018
Just came across this movie. Don't even remember hearing about it. I have read no reviews, nor have I researched anything about it. I did recognize a few of the actors but was not influenced by that much.

I hoped as a follower of Salinger and his work, that I wouldn't find it cheesy.

I loved it.
January 23, 2018
It's very sad we that don't see Mr. Spacey these days anymore! Hope see him on the silver screen soon.
January 16, 2018
Is this Kevin Spacey's last movie? JD Salinger's quest to write Catch in the Rye is told about a man, troubled before, becomes more so after WWII. The journey to writing one of the most important novels of the 20th century is told here. the impact of its success and the aftermath is told. In the end, according to the movie, writing became Salinger's "religion" more than anything else. (Was the last writing published in 1965?) this tells the tale of an artist; interesting.
January 11, 2018
A paint by numbers bio pic. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm thankful for this film though, because I just reread The Catcher in the Rye, and it's even better than I remember.
January 10, 2018
Absolutely fantastic film!!!
Loved every second of it!
January 4, 2018
Nicholas Hoult's Oscar caliber performance is the only great thing about this generic, frustrating, and dissatisfying biopic that never depicts how or why Salinger was so influential.
December 30, 2017
Wonder if Spacey molested that kid too.
½ December 29, 2017
I remember reading Cather In The Rye and not getting it. Puberty, being a teenage muffhound, and shockingly unapologetically vulgar (for the time). I don't know, something about aimless teenage rebellion against an abstracted society in general and not accepting that everyone has signed up for the way things are without a fight. No one is really fighting to change it, only fighting to find their part in it. Well this movie captures how a hero refused to fall in line. Then the irony of how he must suffer to protect a society he is at odds with. After skipping some stones that would ripple for the next few centuries, our hero recluses in the angst he was never willing to part with. An enticing film that inspires, and, at the least, shows us the historical significance of that one book we were excited to read because it was banned and had cuss words in it.
December 24, 2017
Really nice movie. I loved Hoult's portrayal of JD Salinger. Kevin Spacey's character was great too. The beautiful cinematography tops it off.
December 19, 2017
Why did this get a measly 29%? I absolutely loved it. I thought the writing was great. Entertaining story of course. Beautiful cinematography. Who are these film critics? Geez. A definite recommend!
½ October 15, 2017
Admirable swing an an inscrutable subject. Spacey and Hoult bring total A-game. With a focus on the relationship with mentor Whit Burnett, and a contemporary understanding of PTSD, "Rebel" finds a fresh enough angle on the Salinger mythos to warrant the retelling.
October 8, 2017
Very good movie if you are a fan of JD Salinger. If you've never heard of him you'll probably want to read up on what you've missed. Excellent portrayal of JD Salinger. Kevin Spacey adds star power and great fire and sorrow to the story. A wonderful story told slowly with color and balance.
½ October 6, 2017
The glamored-up remix of the life of J.D. Salinger, famously reclusive American author who gave the world Catcher in the Rye" and, er, other writings.
Salinger is played by Nicholas Hoult, one of my favorite young-ish actors who can't quite reach stardom. He's a fine actor, and has lots of screen charm but hasn't found his real breakthrough yet. At least in my opinion.
Usually he's used as window dressing in trivial roles, even in serious movies. If you haven't seen Hoult's star making turn in BBC's Skins" first season - this was ten years ago, mind you -, you probably won't even recognize or care about him.
But yes, he's appeared in a string of blockbusters too, such as the three last X-Men" (as Hank / Beast) and Jack the Giant Slayer", or Mad Max: Fury Road". He is often heavily disguised tho. You may also remember him from About a Boy" (2002) but back then he was only just a boy.
Rebel's" main strength is not its historical accuracy, nor well-balanced story about the great man's life, nor going deep as its hero aspired to, but a fact that the writer-director Danny Strong bets on one strength and goes happily all in on it.
The strength is this being a true actors' movie, and they truly deliver. The performances are wonderful and everything else is there to support them. I would argue they have reached drama series quality storytelling, only in shorter form, in 106 minutes.
Hoult appears appropriately soulful but mentally fragile, and Kevin Spacey as the only other major character (his mentor / friend) is just as solid as you'd expect from screen veteran of his standing.
Every scene Spacey's in is like a masterclass of great movie acting. If this was a project of much higher calibre - instead of premiering in Sundance this January and then disappearing quickly - we would talk about serious Oscar chances. You know how deliciously the man can be.
Critics are true that the movie is ultimately pretty shallow and petty, just what Salinger himself would have tried to avoid, but it's pretty and well-acted, and makes some points about being creative and/or famous that every modern person would still benefit from considering.
Such as doing something doesn't mean you're all that creative or deserve much praise. Or: true creativity emerges after working through your fears and vanity. Or also: being famous is not for everybody.
In 2010's, there's been a new trend to create fictional movies about real people and/or situations. Most are mainstream (i.e, shallow), as is Rebel in the Rye", but this doesn't reduce its power to entertain in a cheesy way.
The result is likable indeed. Writing is a lonely job and "Rebel" has the power to remind us the glamorous side of it too, if only for a second.
October 2, 2017
Unlike Catcher in the Rye, Rebel in the Rye is no masterpiece. Despite Kevin Spacey and Nick Hoult's exceptional performances, this film isn't going anywhere. It's a dark biopic with appeal limited to the literari and the eggheads of this world.

The draw of the film for me and the other five people in the audience was to discover why JD Salinger never published anything again. Why did he become a hermit and bury himself deep in the New Hampshire woods? Why wouldn't he sell the movie rights to Catcher for millions? Why did he turn recluse? No interviews, no contact with the outside world, no phones or TVs or computers. Was he simply nuts? The film tries explore these issues but fails to tell us whether Salinger went off his rocker after seeing so much horror in WW2 or he wanted to separate himself from all distraction of the world around him to write. I have always believed that most writers like Salinger only have one good book in them, like Mario Puzzo, in "The Godfather" and James Jones in "From Here to Eternity." JD Salinger obsessed for years on "Catcher" before writing the novel After it was written, perhaps he withdrew from the world because he knew that he could never write anything better. The film is a study of a possessed soul who wanted to rid himself of humanity. It's worth seeing if you don't mind sitting in an empty theater and being left with the same unanswered questions.
September 30, 2017
Superb acting. I don't understand how the critic reviews are so poor. This was a great story that flowed well and I felt it was very believable.
September 27, 2017
Excellent film! Critics are wrong about this film to degree that it undermines flim criticism as a profession. This has been happening more frequently. The Only Living Boy in New York comes to mind as well. The great movies people will miss if they rely on the tomatometer is a troubling.
September 24, 2017
I thought it was great! I don't see why the critics were so rough on it. Salinger was a very enigmatic character - and I thought the film fleshed out a very good semblance of his cryptic ghost.