The Replacements - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Replacements Reviews

May 2, 2017
I should've done this long ago...

FIVE STARS ??????????
½ April 28, 2017
This dramedy falls short, however there are some great moments, and it has a really good cast. Overall this is not as eventful as you may have expected and although there are some laughs in it The Replacement is not worth your time.
February 21, 2017
I saw part of this movie it was ok I would say. Not my favorite movie
February 6, 2017
best of sports comedies ever
August 29, 2016
Very loosely based on the true story of the Washington Redskins during the 1987 NFL strike. But where the 87 players were fighting for free agency, this films updated portrayal serves shows them fighting for greed. The crowd in the film is ironically the Baltimore Ravens fanbase during halftimes of real nfl games.
August 19, 2016
Fun comedy about a team of replacement football players who are determined to prove themselves during a league strike. Reeves is his usual "duh" self but he's not asked to do much here but play the typical quarterback which he manages to accomplish.
August 13, 2016
Good football movie. Funny, charming, and freshly directed.
½ August 13, 2016
NFL players go on strike and are replaced by ex college burnouts and exiled pro players and soon learn how to win in this funny, smart sports comedy.
½ August 5, 2016
Terrible... Gimme me 2hrs back flixter!!!
July 28, 2016
Shane Falco is no Special Agent Johnny Utah, but Gene Hackman is great in anything and the cheerleaders are hot. Speaking of hot, whatever happened to Brooke Langton?
½ July 20, 2016
"The Replacements" is a typical sports comedy. It is full of clichéd characters, stupid humor, and zany antics. It also offers an much more unique storyline than you would expect from a sports comedy. The story revolves around a players strike that forces NFL teams to fill their rosters with replacement players. This is the perfect set-up to realistically incorporate quirky characters in a professional sports setting. Keanu Reeves is generally hit or miss because his "Bill and Ted" way of speaking either works for a character or doesn't. This is a great role for him as a combination of a jock and a likeable everyman. The football team is made up of an interesting crew. You've got Neo, Roy from "The Office," that old 7-Up spokesman, and the director of "Elf" and "Iron Man" (Reeves, David Denman, Orlando Jones, and Jon Favreau). I love any appearance by Gailard Sartain and Gene Hackman has a few opportunities to show his acting chops amidst the chaotic comedy. I don't love the excessive shots of the stripper-cheerleaders. There are way too many shots of them, as in between every single play. The running gag isn't funny and just serves as a consistent disruption to the flow of the game. This may be a sports comedy but at its core, it is still a football movie. I was glad to see that John Madden and Pat Summerall were utilized as significant characters instead of disappearing after a brief cameo. The film preserves the iconic style of Madden, even if it is just in a goofball comedy. "The Replacements" isn't worthy of any Oscars but it is sure to please sports fans and comedy fans alike.
June 12, 2016
Love this movie. I don't care what the critics think :-)
May 26, 2016
Una pelicula palomera, en lo personal me gusta pero porque me gusta el americano, si no te gusta el deporte no se si te vaya a gustar, aun asi tiene escenas de humor muy buenas, buena para un domingo de peliculas.
May 24, 2016
One of the funniest football movies ever a cult classic for a lot of people. this was the first movie I remember seeing Jon Favreau in and wanted to see more excellent job acting and directed iron man. Amazing movie all the way laugh till ya cry.
½ May 13, 2016
A fun flik if you don't have anything on your plate. It's uplifting and fun. Not Hackman's, or Reeves, best work. But still worth the watch for anyone that enjoys sports movies.
May 12, 2016
An enjoyable, funny movie. Heavens, just enjoy the humor, the silliness, the cliche if you must. Not every movie has to be profound. Not every story is epic or incredibly in depth.

Wanna sit down and have a good laugh, nice pacing and feel good when it's over, here is a great movie.
May 3, 2016
NFL goes on strike and replacement players are hired in this entertaining comedy. Keanu Reeves is the washed up quarterback who must learn to believe in himself in order to win.
February 14, 2016
Decided to watch this again as I'm on a bit of a Gene Hackman kick right now. It's not great, but is enjoyable enough. Some good supporting cast including Rhys Ifans, Jon Favreau and Faizon Love("Made"). Worth a watch if like football or the actors.
½ February 14, 2016
Fun and innocent film, you can't fault a film that really doesn't attempt to be anything remotely serious. Keanu Reeves is good and Hackman is always a great backbone, pity the film didn't make more box office as this was a good film.
December 29, 2015
Keanu is likable, but the stock characters and generic plot make the movie dull for those looking for something with a bit more substance.