Resident Evil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil Reviews

April 17, 2017
Watchable - stressfully incoherent. Resident Evil Jumps between those two states of being for its 90 minute run time. As far as video game adaptations, you could do a lot worse, somehow.
½ March 30, 2017
the 2nd best Resident Evil movie. i enjoy this one more than the rest.
March 20, 2017
daft, cheesy horror flick which isn't even scary. Oh, what might have been in the hands of a better director (Ridley Scott perhaps?)
March 5, 2017
This was fun, but it feels dated!
½ February 12, 2017
The weakest of the franchise. This is where we're supposed to care---before we understand what this series is---and we just so deeply don't care.
February 10, 2017
Boring, and wildly tame. Has no heart or charm. Borderline snoozefest
February 8, 2017
At first I hated this for not sticking to anything relatable from the franchise its based on, then I appreciated it given how bad the follow ups became. Simple braindead movie that's conflicted between being scary and action packed.
½ February 2, 2017
Much better then all the others it's great for the video game horror genre
jamrcla
½ January 30, 2017
One of my favourite games turned into a film and I wasn't disappointed but I can understand why some fans were upset as everyone was hoping for a horror film set in a mansion like the first game, This is more action than horror, The film also gets allot of stick for not being like the games more but it's pretty loyal to the games as it features the mansion, The Umbrella Research Facility underneath the mansion, Zombies, Zombie dogs, A Licker which was the main villain, It's a shame none of the game cast were in this but Alice proves to be just as good as any of the familiar faces we are used to, It's got some good action scenes but the effects were not great especially on The Licker, Not greatly acted but who cares in films like this, It's mindless fun that will be loved by some Resident Evil fans but hated by others.
½ January 29, 2017
An interesting plot, however poor acting and visuals distract from an otherwise great movie.
January 28, 2017
The plot of the entire movie usually would only take up 20 minutes at the start of a movie, if that gives you any idea of how mindless the movie is. It isn't the worst in the series, but that isn't saying much.
January 26, 2017
Cheesy. In the best way possible.
½ January 26, 2017
This movie was great. I am shocked people didn't like it more. First was the best, the second movie was the weak link for me. I always watch this one when on television.
January 25, 2017
This film is very near and dear to me. I know it's not a good film, but when this film came out I was 11 years old, my best friend James and I were beyond excited to see this movie as we were big Resident Evil fans, and I can't count how many times we watched it together at his house and mine. My bestfriend James passed away in 2010 and the first Resident Evil will always hold a special place in my heart. It is pure nostalgia to me and I absolutely love it. I know its flaws, but I don't give a damn. I love it because of the memories I had with someone who left a great impact on my life.
½ January 24, 2017
The set up for the eventual franchise is a mess of boring characters, terrible acting, and cliche storytelling.
Grade: D-
½ January 19, 2017
Video game movies have been awful for decades now. Resident Evil isn't necessarily the exception to that rule, but it's nowhere near as awful as the genre has been.

Resident Evil is at its best when it pushes aside the politics of this "secret military group" named The Umbrella, and instead is an homage to the original Alien. When the film takes twists and turns that are supposed to surprise you, when in fact, they feel like a weak attempt at shock, it becomes overwhelmingly convoluted. But in the instances that the survivors, led by Alice (Milla Jovovich), are scrambling through rooms doing anything to survive CGI creatures and flesh eating zombies, Resident Evil is pure guilty pleasure.

Much like the Underworld franchise, I honestly don't care about any of the supporting characters. Knowing where most zombie flicks go, there's really no use to getting attached to secondary characters when you know their deaths are all but guaranteed. I did, however, find Alice to be compelling, as long as the sequels do more to expand her history and explain how she became an absolute bada**. In fact, one can make the argument that Alice is a more likable character than Selene is in Underworld.

As I've said a lot recently, there's nothing wrong with a mindless action adventure if it doesn't take itself too seriously. Resident Evil is actually a pretty serious film, people are dying left and right, and the world is on the brink of an apocalypse. But there's something to be said about a throwback action-horror taking place in one confined space. In this case, it gives the viewer a sense of what a first person shooter game with this story would feel like. I've never played any of the games, but I can certainly see where this story lends itself to the video game medium. Now, is there an excuse for a horrendous looking creature via CGI? Or maybe some truly useless characters with weak (at best) dialogue? No, I can't say there is. But hey, it's a solid cable watch.

+Action that doesn't pull punches

+Alice is likable

-Dated CGI

-Inexcusably bad dialogue

5.8/10
January 19, 2017
It works outstandingly where it must, at the foreboding, scary scenes. I liked the role of the Umbrella company and the underground facility where the story takes place. However it fails terribly where it would be advisable to work, at the action scenes. The CGI is simply mediocre and only the main heroine can really act. But all in all I really like this movie.
January 17, 2017
I really enjoyed this. Great visuals, great adaptation.
½ January 15, 2017
Better than a lot of video game based movies. It's decently done, I just didn't feel much of a connection with the characters and it's not a film, I personally, could watch again and again. If you like zombie flicks and/or a fan of game, you definitely will like this.
January 9, 2017