Resident Evil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Resident Evil Reviews

½ January 19, 2017
Video game movies have been awful for decades now. Resident Evil isn't necessarily the exception to that rule, but it's nowhere near as awful as the genre has been.

Resident Evil is at its best when it pushes aside the politics of this "secret military group" named The Umbrella, and instead is an homage to the original Alien. When the film takes twists and turns that are supposed to surprise you, when in fact, they feel like a weak attempt at shock, it becomes overwhelmingly convoluted. But in the instances that the survivors, led by Alice (Milla Jovovich), are scrambling through rooms doing anything to survive CGI creatures and flesh eating zombies, Resident Evil is pure guilty pleasure.

Much like the Underworld franchise, I honestly don't care about any of the supporting characters. Knowing where most zombie flicks go, there's really no use to getting attached to secondary characters when you know their deaths are all but guaranteed. I did, however, find Alice to be compelling, as long as the sequels do more to expand her history and explain how she became an absolute bada**. In fact, one can make the argument that Alice is a more likable character than Selene is in Underworld.

As I've said a lot recently, there's nothing wrong with a mindless action adventure if it doesn't take itself too seriously. Resident Evil is actually a pretty serious film, people are dying left and right, and the world is on the brink of an apocalypse. But there's something to be said about a throwback action-horror taking place in one confined space. In this case, it gives the viewer a sense of what a first person shooter game with this story would feel like. I've never played any of the games, but I can certainly see where this story lends itself to the video game medium. Now, is there an excuse for a horrendous looking creature via CGI? Or maybe some truly useless characters with weak (at best) dialogue? No, I can't say there is. But hey, it's a solid cable watch.

+Action that doesn't pull punches

+Alice is likable

-Dated CGI

-Inexcusably bad dialogue

5.8/10
January 19, 2017
It works outstandingly where it must, at the foreboding, scary scenes. I liked the role of the Umbrella company and the underground facility where the story takes place. However it fails terribly where it would be advisable to work, at the action scenes. The CGI is simply mediocre and only the main heroine can really act. But all in all I really like this movie.
January 17, 2017
I really enjoyed this. Great visuals, great adaptation.
½ January 15, 2017
Better than a lot of video game based movies. It's decently done, I just didn't feel much of a connection with the characters and it's not a film, I personally, could watch again and again. If you like zombie flicks and/or a fan of game, you definitely will like this.
jamrcla
½ January 13, 2017
One of my favourite games turned into a film and I wasn't disappointed just wish they stuck more with the game plot and characters, Plus it does take a while to see amy zombies in action but it was worth it all in the end.
January 9, 2017
Cool action movie ! =]
January 7, 2017
1/7/2016: A pretty decent flick. Tons of action and Milla was the perfect choice for the lead!
½ January 3, 2017
Mediocre = 2.5/5

Not a terrible movie by any means. in fact, there was surprisingly a decent amount of things I liked in this movie. Like Mila Jovovich herself, some of the characters, and I appreciated their focus on tension building and story development between the characters. However... the movie is way too slow at times, has mediocre action sequences at best, absolutely terrible CGI, way too many predictable jump scares, and was overall not nearly as entertaining or exciting as you would come to expect from a movie with a premise like this.
January 3, 2017
The best movie of all resident evil movies
December 27, 2016
Not too bad an action movie
½ December 24, 2016
A really really terrible movie.
December 18, 2016
An awesome video game movie
December 16, 2016
one of best movies I have ever seen.......amazing plot, hot women, monsters are fearsome, evil conspiracy, secret military operation squad breaking into hidden research facility
November 25, 2016
Not a fan of the games, but this movie is a lot of fun.
November 19, 2016
Had to sit through all the Resident Evil movies because my girlfriend wanted to see them. Things I'd rather do that watch another Resident Evil movie with Alice the manhater: go to the dentist, watch another Once Upon a Time episode, dig my own grave, get sick on an airplane, clean out a cat box, eat vegan oysters, paint baseboard and watch the paint dry.
November 19, 2016
Would i consider it a cinematic masterpiece? No, not really. But is it a fun movie to watch with strong female characters set in a unique universe? Yeah! It's a movie worth seeing, even if you're not too familiar with the game franchise like myself.
October 27, 2016
no god!.. no god please no!... no!.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
October 18, 2016
It is a zombie horror action movie, so don't expect it to be anything else. That having been said, this really is a good zombie horror action movie.
September 30, 2016
Does the same mistake every other videogame adaptations made: it's completly different from the game. More an action movie than a horror movie, it has some good scenes and likable characters.
September 26, 2016
Scary and full of action one of the best zombie movies