Rio Bravo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rio Bravo Reviews

June 2, 2017
Good western. I liked the couple song they sang here and there. The climatic battle was pretty good. I liked it.
½ May 4, 2017
Extremely overrated. I can't believe the hype over what is truly a dull and lifeless movie. I did like the music though. (First and only viewing - 5/2/2014)
½ March 22, 2017
This is a more subtle tone to the western genre. It keeps the action away until the end, but keeps the tone right until that. This can only be done by Howard Hawkes: the man who does a little of everything, and adds different elements together. He added suspense and hints of noir into this, something only he could have thought of and still make it a classic of the genre.
March 1, 2017
Excellent movie. Westerns are not usually for me but this was a really good one.
February 19, 2017
How the fuck is this in the Sight and Sound greatest films list?*

Other than that significant gripe, it's perfectly fine.

*Sight and Sound 100 greatest films of all time (2012 poll)
February 6, 2017
Not as gritty a western as I was lead to believe, but quite a damn fine movie nonetheless. Fantastic characterisations and charisma between a stellar cast. This is one of the greats.
February 3, 2017
John Wayne, a sheriff, has to hold a killer in jail helped only by a drunkard (Dean Martin) and a lame old-timer (Walter Brennan), while the thug's wealthy brother and hired guns try to spring him. Angie Dickinson is Feathers, the sherrif's absolutely likeable love interest. Everything is perfect in this western and that is an achievement as this western has everything. It runs almost two and half hours but you you lose track of time until its all over.
½ January 3, 2017
One of the greatest Westerns ever made. If you're only going to watch one, watch this one. Then the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
December 3, 2016
One of two Wayne and Martin film teamings that happens to be directed by Hawks. On Blu-ray.
½ November 19, 2016
Excellent. One of the best westerns out there. The team of Martin in Wayne is just fantastic. Check this out!
½ August 19, 2016
Good cast and not a bad story either.
August 13, 2016
Genuinely a Western that has everything.
July 3, 2016
A real lesson on teamwork. John Wayne/ Dean Martin ????
June 19, 2016
My favorite non-John Ford directed western. Howard Hawks directed this film out of his dislike of the anti-McCarthyism Gary Cooper western, "High Noon." Star John Wayne hated that film because of it's politics, while Hawks reportedly disliked the film over it's namby-pamby sheriff who has to go around asking for help and can't man-up and do it himself. As with most Hawks films and just about every Wayne film, it's a very masculine picture. Wayne's Sheriff John T. Chance arrests no good Claude Akins, who drunkenly kills someone. However, Akins is connected and part of a powerful family, so Wayne has to hold off Akins' brother and his henchmen from busting Claude out of jail. Wayne does have the assistance of the town drunk, Dean Martin, and old man, Walter Brennan, a new kid in town, Ricky Nelson (who does sing a duet with Dean at one point), and also the very leggy Angie Dickinson. Ward Bond is also around too. The film honestly does meander at times and is a western that would seem dated to modern viewers, but for me, it's just a perfect western that has been influential on so many action films, everything from John Carpenter's "Assault on Precinct 13" to James Cameron's "Aliens" to Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino's "From Dusk Till Dawn." Also of note, the film was written by Leigh Brackett and Jules Furthman. On a more personal note, "Rio Bravo" was my go-to movie for testing girlfriends. And for those who know me, my wife did pass the Rio Bravo test, sitting all the way through it's 141 minutes of it and pretended to like it.
May 24, 2016
A rollicking good 'ol fashioned western made iconic by the teaming up of Howard Hawks and the The Duke.
½ May 14, 2016
Very good, not entirely up my alley but who the fuck cares about my alley anyway? I even barely care about my alley. My alley is unkempt and probably should be taken away from me. Anyway this movie is good, it's fine, it's whatever, I dunno, I'm not real passionate about it. It's not bad. I like things in it. It's too long. I like Anthony Mann stuff best, I've decided. And Delmar Daves. Those two knew how to make good things.
May 3, 2016
Initially watched it because Ricky Nelson was in it. Well-written and acted, starring John Wayne, Dean Martin and Angie Dickinson. It's set in Texas, and Dean Martin's character is called 'Dude'! Awesome to see action and shooting that was filmed raw, without today's visual effects. Everyone seems to use guns in cowboy land..(and in many ways it's still the same today). Liked it beyond expectations!
April 30, 2016
Certainly, a film for the ages. If there's one western you want to see, this is it.
April 16, 2016
it would appear stella likes westerns more than stanley...classics at least...wonder what thats about...uh oh they are retsaging an ole standoff now
March 14, 2016
Action, romance, comedy, music - Rio Bravo has it all. A masterful Western.