Rio Bravo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rio Bravo Reviews

April 7, 2018
This is one of "The Duke's" best films! It's one of my all time favorite movies. It's hard to top this classic western!
½ April 4, 2018
There are very few classic Western movies that I can handle that go over the 2 hour run time. The Outlaw Josie Wales and For a Few Dollars More are a couple of them. This one is definitely not in that group. It starts off interesting enough, but there's soooooo much drag in between that I snoozed off. Something to do with some ridiculous love subplot between John Wayne's character and a woman young enough to be his daughter and some other character's backstories that were just unnecessary. The old man in this(not John Wayne, the other one) is amusing here and there, and the final shootout was alright, but man.. this was too damn long and boring the rest of the time. Zzzzzz....
March 23, 2018
100%? Really? This was 30-mins too long with 2-hours of literal waiting for 10-minutes, finally, of some pretty mild semi-showdown action. Until then there's every cowboy cliche and Waynerism - plus some totally Hollywood movie singing what with Dino and Ricky in cow town. Also, Hawks forgot that a town needs townspeople. Guess he ran out of budget for extras & stand-ins. It's very hard to understand these ratings except as a cinematic museum piece for Marion Morrison, aka John Wayne. | ~ Norm de Guerre
March 9, 2018
A Must See A All Time Classic Western
½ February 11, 2018
Good cast and not a bad story either. 1001 movies to see before you die.
December 31, 2017
An overall good movie, with its funny moments and action, this movie is five stars.
December 30, 2017
This is a more subtle tone to the western genre. It keeps the action away until the end, but keeps the tone right until that. This can only be done by Howard Hawkes: the man who does a little of everything, and adds different elements together. He added suspense and hints of noir into this, something only he could have thought of and still make it a classic of the genre.
½ August 19, 2017
9.5 out of 10:

Smart, spectacular performances, and a few funny quirks, Rio Bravo remains an entertaining and exciting western.
August 14, 2017
Nothing in particular struck something in me, but it was at least entertaining and no aspects of the film were terrible.
June 2, 2017
Good western. I liked the couple song they sang here and there. The climatic battle was pretty good. I liked it.
½ May 4, 2017
Extremely overrated. I can't believe the hype over what is truly a dull and lifeless movie. I did like the music though. (First and only viewing - 5/2/2014)
March 1, 2017
Excellent movie. Westerns are not usually for me but this was a really good one.
February 19, 2017
How the fuck is this in the Sight and Sound greatest films list?*

Other than that significant gripe, it's perfectly fine.

*Sight and Sound 100 greatest films of all time (2012 poll)
February 6, 2017
Not as gritty a western as I was lead to believe, but quite a damn fine movie nonetheless. Fantastic characterisations and charisma between a stellar cast. This is one of the greats.
February 3, 2017
John Wayne, a sheriff, has to hold a killer in jail helped only by a drunkard (Dean Martin) and a lame old-timer (Walter Brennan), while the thug's wealthy brother and hired guns try to spring him. Angie Dickinson is Feathers, the sherrif's absolutely likeable love interest. Everything is perfect in this western and that is an achievement as this western has everything. It runs almost two and half hours but you you lose track of time until its all over.
½ January 3, 2017
One of the greatest Westerns ever made. If you're only going to watch one, watch this one. Then the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
December 3, 2016
One of two Wayne and Martin film teamings that happens to be directed by Hawks. On Blu-ray.
½ November 19, 2016
Excellent. One of the best westerns out there. The team of Martin in Wayne is just fantastic. Check this out!
August 13, 2016
Genuinely a Western that has everything.
July 3, 2016
A real lesson on teamwork. John Wayne/ Dean Martin ????