Rio Bravo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rio Bravo Reviews

December 3, 2016
One of two Wayne and Martin film teamings that happens to be directed by Hawks. On Blu-ray.
½ November 19, 2016
Excellent. One of the best westerns out there. The team of Martin in Wayne is just fantastic. Check this out!
½ August 19, 2016
Good cast and not a bad story either.
August 13, 2016
Genuinely a Western that has everything.
July 3, 2016
A real lesson on teamwork. John Wayne/ Dean Martin ????
June 19, 2016
My favorite non-John Ford directed western. Howard Hawks directed this film out of his dislike of the anti-McCarthyism Gary Cooper western, "High Noon." Star John Wayne hated that film because of it's politics, while Hawks reportedly disliked the film over it's namby-pamby sheriff who has to go around asking for help and can't man-up and do it himself. As with most Hawks films and just about every Wayne film, it's a very masculine picture. Wayne's Sheriff John T. Chance arrests no good Claude Akins, who drunkenly kills someone. However, Akins is connected and part of a powerful family, so Wayne has to hold off Akins' brother and his henchmen from busting Claude out of jail. Wayne does have the assistance of the town drunk, Dean Martin, and old man, Walter Brennan, a new kid in town, Ricky Nelson (who does sing a duet with Dean at one point), and also the very leggy Angie Dickinson. Ward Bond is also around too. The film honestly does meander at times and is a western that would seem dated to modern viewers, but for me, it's just a perfect western that has been influential on so many action films, everything from John Carpenter's "Assault on Precinct 13" to James Cameron's "Aliens" to Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino's "From Dusk Till Dawn." Also of note, the film was written by Leigh Brackett and Jules Furthman. On a more personal note, "Rio Bravo" was my go-to movie for testing girlfriends. And for those who know me, my wife did pass the Rio Bravo test, sitting all the way through it's 141 minutes of it and pretended to like it.
May 24, 2016
A rollicking good 'ol fashioned western made iconic by the teaming up of Howard Hawks and the The Duke.
½ May 14, 2016
Very good, not entirely up my alley but who the fuck cares about my alley anyway? I even barely care about my alley. My alley is unkempt and probably should be taken away from me. Anyway this movie is good, it's fine, it's whatever, I dunno, I'm not real passionate about it. It's not bad. I like things in it. It's too long. I like Anthony Mann stuff best, I've decided. And Delmar Daves. Those two knew how to make good things.
May 3, 2016
Initially watched it because Ricky Nelson was in it. Well-written and acted, starring John Wayne, Dean Martin and Angie Dickinson. It's set in Texas, and Dean Martin's character is called 'Dude'! Awesome to see action and shooting that was filmed raw, without today's visual effects. Everyone seems to use guns in cowboy land..(and in many ways it's still the same today). Liked it beyond expectations!
April 30, 2016
Certainly, a film for the ages. If there's one western you want to see, this is it.
April 16, 2016
it would appear stella likes westerns more than stanley...classics at least...wonder what thats about...uh oh they are retsaging an ole standoff now
March 14, 2016
Action, romance, comedy, music - Rio Bravo has it all. A masterful Western.
March 12, 2016
I loved the characters! Except Feathers.
February 24, 2016
The runtime flies by due to phenomenal acting, and great pacing by the director.
½ February 2, 2016
A wonderful, good-old-fashioned Western that is compelling and amusing, blending humor and drama in a multilayered story centered more on the complex characters than on the action - and it has a lot of memorable dialogue and a perfect pacing that is careful but never slow.
½ November 14, 2015
An uplifting Western adventure of vengeance. Dean Martin and John Wayne are charming and brilliant.
½ September 16, 2015
Stumpy saves the day
February 23, 2015
Howard Hawks finest western features highly entertaining material, a talented cast, and a long running time that passes like open water.
February 9, 2015
Not a very great film. Very slow and not a focused storyline. But, the acting is good and so is the style.
January 30, 2015
Fun, fast and very funny. Full review later.