The River Wild - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The River Wild Reviews

½ September 17, 2017
Bacon takes a second crack as an evil outdoorsman (White Water Summer) to menace Merryl Streep and her family. David Strathairn and John C. Reilly lend solid performances to a thriller I've always felt was underrated.
August 8, 2017
Ooooooooooooooooh.....Kevin Bacon is such a mother fucker in this movie!

His comeuppance isn't nearly as satisfying as it should be in the end but aside from that this is a top notch little thriller.

Curtis Hanson's isn't quite as dynamic in the river rafting scenes as we might like but he does a masterful job of keeping the tension high and delicious throughout.

It's a shame we haven't seen Meryl do more action-oriented stuff. She can be quite the badass.
May 16, 2017
Director, Curtis Hanson (L.A. Confidential, 8 Mile) delivers a great thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Academy Award Winner, Meryl Streep, plays a great character and partners with David Strathairn. Kevin Bacon and John C. Reilly, play very chilling roles as the two criminals on the run from justice. Overall, Director, Curtis Hanson knows how to direct thrillers with very talented actors. The screenplay by writer, Denis O'Neill, is both comedic and lighthearted in some moments, and very suspenseful and thrilling in others. This film also deals with family drama, but does it in a way to where you're not bored, but instead you dig it. Kevin Bacon brings some comedic relief, but at the same time can be very intense and creepy. Bacon plays a great villain along side John C. Reilly, who can be understanding, and just as intense. The chemistry between Streep and Bacon in this film is very great, and overall, this film is exciting, thrilling, and overall a great watch.
½ January 29, 2017
A good, solidly entertaining movie that's a little underrated in my view. Kevin Bacon makes for a convincing villain here and Meryl Streep, whilst not really having to stretch herself, is nicely cast and does a great job. The ending seems slightly ham-fisted but that's my only real criticism.
A decent story, if a little predictable.
½ January 4, 2017
Kevin Bacon is such an awesome bad guy! Pretty entertaining movie throughout. I kind of hate the kid though.
October 27, 2016
A very underrated action thriller with great casting and performances and visuals. I wish I'd seen this ages ago.
September 25, 2016
Tense drama. Streep shows that she does not always play a damsel, but can rise to any challenge the part needs her to play. Outstanding performances by all.
½ June 11, 2016
Driven by plenty of fast-paced action and a strong emotional sense of drama, The River Wild is a non-stop thrill ride and showcases an outstanding performance from Meryl Streep and a terrific villainous performance from Kevin Bacon.
January 24, 2016
One Meryl Streep movie you don't want to see.
January 6, 2016
Never really enjoyed this film. Saw it a couple times and it never felt genuine to me. I thought the acting was choppy, and the story was sloppy. The tension was minor and I thought it could of been amped up.
Never a good sign when you are rolling your eyes throughout a movie at the cheesy dialogue and silly circumstances.
Wasted of talent here with a so so script and not enough suspense.
April 21, 2015
This is a hybrid of better movie but at the end you're still mildly entertained by this action flick.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Nice adventure/thriller kinda. Meryl Streep and her family are on a adventure on the river which isnt easy and even more tougher when some guys holding them back. Kevin Bacon playing great as the bad one here. Nice movie !
½ September 10, 2014
This small thriller includes a good rafting experience, and it's also has a good cast that makes this good. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
July 6, 2014
What a predictable hunk of crap. The formulaic plot was only outweighed in stupidity by the ridiculous casting. Meryl Streep as a river guide? Kevin Bacon as a criminal? Oh this was bad.
½ June 2, 2014
The River Wild looks like a feel-good family film, all down to the agreeably lovable, Lassie-ish dog, but don't be fooled: this is more thematic than meets the eye. The movie has a familiar formula, but it's bolstered by great performances from Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon.
½ May 21, 2014
a good simple fun action film
April 28, 2014
Childish and very flawed.
March 30, 2014
I fully enjoyed this adventure.
½ February 24, 2014
Never really knew much about this film, but it stars a trio of well known performers. It probably escalated Meryl Streep and John C Reilly to stardom, whilst demoting Kevin Bacon to doing the Congo on his recent streak of annoying adverts. To be fair, he plays a good part in this though, teaming up with dumb ass Reilly as part of the bad guy duo that has just committed an armed robbery and are escaping down the wild river rapids as a means of a subtle escape route. Luckily for them, they bump into experienced rafter Streep and her family, who are going through a rocky patch due to the husbands devotion to work over his wife and kids. What better way for him to therefore prove his love by rescuing them from the clutches of drowning at the hands of the 'Gauntlet', a strong current responsible for taking lives several years back. Streep has ridden it many years ago, but can she overcome it twice? For a predictable movie, it's relatively captivating which is impressive given its low key and quaint environment, that doesn't exactly lend itself to high action stakes. The dialogue and interaction of characters is just as fascinating which is credit to the actors who have made it quite compelling. It's not exactly a blockbuster, nor will it bore you to tears, but is just suitable for a Sunday nights viewing when your brain is still recovering from a Saturday night out on the lash.
½ February 22, 2014
I was really excited to see this movie and it didn't disappoint! It was like watching a mix of Deliverance and A Perfect Getaway. Kevin Bacon did a great job as the villain, and Meryl Streep was a great hero. Overall, a fun adventure to watch.