Roman J. Israel, Esq. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Roman J. Israel, Esq. Reviews

½ March 20, 2018
One of Denzel's greatest performances, EVER!
March 12, 2018
Enjoyed this movie alot. i am losing faith in these review systems and critics, and audiences. not only did denzel play a great role, the story was great, the character development was on point and i cant say there is any reason for the score to be this low.
½ March 11, 2018
I cannot understand the criticism of this film. I thought the story held together perfectly, obviously the performance was outstanding, the message one of hope, perseverance, and understanding of others, another tone poem to L.A., and a superb soundtrack. Waaaay better than the preposterous Three Billboards movie.
"You stand on his shoulders." - best Line
March 9, 2018
This FiLm will Remain with you. It pays dividends on your investment In it. Brilliant script and performances. It is poorly marketed and the critics reviews arE Way off the mark . It will DEvelop a Cult following . Cinema needs More films like thiS inspirational. Well Done
½ March 8, 2018
A man has to have his principles. So this is the story about a lawyer who goes by the name (you guessed it) Roman J. Israel (Denzel Washington). He is in a small law office that has the reputation of standing up for the little guy. He is one of two lawyers that work there, so when the other one suffers a heart attack, he has some major life changes in the immediate future, some of which may put him in a position where he has to decide if he is willing to compromise his integrity or not. Now as always, I kept my ear to the street on what people say about any and all movies that come out. This was the last film that I needed to watch that had a featured role that was up for an Academy award (I still have to see All the Money in the World for supporting), and from everything I had heard, this was to have an amazing performance in a disappointing movie. While I do think that Denzel outperforms the material, I was never bored watching this at any point, and I think that this was undersold to me. Now this is from Dan Gilroy, the director of the incredible Nightcrawler. This is nowhere near as riveting as that dark and obsessive film, but I do think it is a solid follow up. For one thing, he continues to show how well he can work with actors and get such remarkable performances out of them. The most noteworthy thing about this is undoubtedly the performance given by Denzel, just like everybody has been saying. The reason why it is so commendable is because it is so different than the roles he usually plays. He is always good, but when he owns his part, he is always playing it big with charm and charisma. He also has so much screen presence that when he makes an action movie, it is almost like he is a superhero without being a superhero (The Magnificent Seven, The Equalizer, Man on Fire...). With Roman J. Israel, he is playing meek and unconfident instead, which I have never seen him do before. Instead of going big, he always goes small here, and it really shows how much of a range he has as an actor. I think the story to this is decent, but not great. It is more of a character study than anything, and really, for the most part, you're just watching this guy do his job. It keeps your attention because Denzel is so great, and yeah, I will admit that if this had a lesser actor featured front and center, this would probably not be worth your time. That is me talking about a hypothetical movie that doesn't exist, so it is neither here nor there. As it stands, I think Roman J. Israel, Esq. is worth a watch.
½ March 8, 2018
Interesting and entertaining throughout.
½ March 7, 2018
March 6, 2018
denzel good. the film? meh
March 5, 2018
Denzel is brilliant... as usual.
½ March 4, 2018
Excellent movie with some great performances and a sadly true and beyond-timely premise re the American "justice" system but, being thought-provoking rather than the typical mindless shoot 'em up, of course, it lost money and garnered some unfairly poor reviews. Denzel is particularly brilliant, as usual, but, given the Academy's long history of overlooking him, don't expect any Oscars, no matter how well-deserved.
March 3, 2018
Why is Denzel Washington nominated for this movie, this movie sucks, its lame and in my opinion the worst movie this year nominated for an oscar and yes I said that boss baby is better than this.
March 2, 2018
Why would I think that a Denzel Washington movie that got an Oscar nomination would be anything less than amazing? I know. It's because they put next to nothing into their advertising campaign for this film. I had no idea what it was about. Even with the Esq. in the title, I honestly didn't know that his character is a lawyer. I didn't know that it was directed by the guy who directed the amazing #Nightcrawler (Dan Gilroy, 2014) and the writer of several other interesting films like Tarsem Singh's The Fall and some not so interesting like Kong: Skull Island. I had heard that Roman J. Israel, Esq. was supposed to be on the autism spectrum but I wasn't sure until after I saw the film and heard Denzel Washington explicitly state this as a fact in the special features. I had no idea it would be so captivating and compelling. I was transfixed on the screen the whole time. The stakes were so high, and it just got crazier and crazier. It's like a dark black Hitchcock version of The Pursuit of Happyness. Will Smith could be the only other actor alive able to do this character, but I don't think he would be willing because Will Smith only plays good guys. Let's just say Roman J. Israel, Esq. gets really dark and leave it at that. I am kinda glad I didn't know anything about it now. Avoid all spoilers if you can, but have no reservations about watching it. I'm a bit sad I waited this long.

Now that I've seen all the #BestActor #Oscar nominees. It's kind of a shame. I still don't think #Denzel has a chance on Sunday, but I bet he would be a serious contender if the studio would have put up a decent campaign for it. Highest recommendation.
March 2, 2018
Denzel Washington is great, and the other performances are good too, but the movie doesn't feel focused on its story.
February 28, 2018
I read a number of reviews and opinions on this movie and I have concluded that this movie appeals to those of us who are reached more by our own sense of idealism and hope but falls flat on those who want to be entertained and do not want to have to bring something of themselves to contribute to a great event.
Very much like some of the characters in the movie. Some were inspired by Roman's passion, compassion and high ideals while the those who couldn't see beyond the the mechanics of every day life had no time for the possibility that we truly are all greater than the worst thing we have ever done.
February 26, 2018
Overwrought legal film starring Denzel Washington, who somehow got nominated for an oscar for this movie. His performance is ok but the film itself takes itself too seriously and really isnt very good.
February 25, 2018
una película aburrida con una brillante actuación, pero que no alcanza para que despegue
February 25, 2018
I liked this movie and I really liked Denzel Washington's performance. I can see why he was nominated for best actor this year.
½ February 24, 2018
This is an entertaining, quirky, moderately inspirational film that has different flaws from its main character. Roman, played nicely by Denzel Washington in a pleasant departure from so many of his action roles, is an idealistic lawyer with eccentric qualities (possibly a savant) who has been engaged in a mere holding action in the rather corrupted legal profession instead of the civil rights activism on a larger scale that means most to him. After decades of this, and with a sudden change in fortune when his long-time partner and mentor dies, Roman finds himself disillusioned. The dramatic change of heart leads him into some faulty choices that threaten his very existence, yet he also manages to inspire a shark of an attorney he meets (Colin Farrell) and a young woman with a social action group (Carmen Ejogo). Some of this is compelling, some of it more implausible. But it remains a genuine and heartfelt movie overall. Certainly preferable to the contrived, superficial and nonsensical trash that seems to attract so many casual movie-goers to lame comedies and phony dramas these days.
February 23, 2018
The script doesn't quite live up to Denzel's committed, Knockout performance. It's a really interesting character, going through an intriguing set of events. But the story kind of putters out by the final third of the film. If it was tightened up a bit, it could've been a truly great film.
February 21, 2018
I'm not sure why Rotten Tomatoes critics gave this film 51%. Testimony to the fact that one cannot be guided by film critics, no matter how good they may be.

I think Denzel gives a superb performance in this film. I admire his versatility. As for the film itself, I enjoyed every minute of it. It's a film that touches some very deep parts of our human nature.