Roman J. Israel, Esq. Reviews

• Apr 27, 2019

The critics have unjustifiably maligned this movie. It is a tour-de-force on the part of Denzel Washington in a long line of other magnificent portrayals. It is not without flaws but Denzel's performance compels you to continue watching despite whatever they may be. It's no blockbuster in its appeal to mass audiences but it is a much better movie that the ratings suggest.

• Feb 24, 2019

Denzel Washington gives his best in this standard law-advocate drama in which, while we never get to see anything genuinely original or thrilling, Dan Gilroy gives a solid direction towards his average script, exploring hard themes with solid characters, but while the film is never considerably âbadâ? in its own conception, it is truly a missed opportunity to take advantage of a great directorâ(TM)s talent and a superb actor providing a worthy performance

• Jan 01, 2019

Memseriizng storline. Impeccable acting.

Memseriizng storline. Impeccable acting.

• Jan 01, 2019

This is actually an incredible film that has many redeeming qualities.  When I first saw it, I liked it, but did not love it and found it to be somewhat underwhelming overall, considering how much I love Dan Gilroy's debut effort, Nightcrawler.  I have to say I had some problems with my internet that day, which forced me to restart Roman J. Israel Esq. numerous times, so that might have affected my viewing experience a huge deal back then.  Anyways, this time the movie really grabbed me and never let go.  It has countless dialogues and advice that will never leave my head, and is immensely packed with positive energy.  Dan Gilroy did it again, in my opinion, and he might even deliver another amazing film with Velvet Buzzsaw, which is coming out in a month.  His work is always daring and he never seems to go the easy route, which is something to value since it is very rare.  Also, I agreed with many that Denzel Washington's Oscar nomination for this was unnecessary, but now I think it is so deserved. The perfomance felt lived in and never one bit phoney.  This is pure acting on another level.  The other actors are doing a more than just fine job as well and add a lot.  I don't know why this movie is so damn underrated, but I suggest you give it another look of you didn't like it upon a first watch. There is a lot in it, and more to unpack. It is subtle, makes absolute sense and packs a punch and message that is not forced but wonderfully brought to the screen.  I love it and cannot wait for Gilroy's next one, and the ones after that.

• Nov 21, 2018

I read many reviews before viewing the movie and I still enjoyed it thoroughly. Both Denzel and Colin acted excellently and the movie was intriguing and enjoyable.

• Nov 12, 2018

Denzel Washington carries the movie as he inhabits the quirky savant Roman J. Israel, Esq. who is competent in a way but also somewhere on the autism spectrum. The "mythical" federal brief is an enigma for any (actual) lawyer watching the film; but I also think it is good for any attorney to absorb what RJI is trying to change. The system is broken, and maybe this movie gives us a glimpse of the attitude it will take to fix it. Gilroy did a great job of directing such a powerful actor set in a dynamic plot. I recommend the film b/c it is interesting, strange, challenging, and different.

• Nov 04, 2018

This extraordinary film presents a picture of a brilliant legal mind who operates somewhere on the autism continuum, and struggles with his own reality after his law firm is closed. I highly recommend watching it with closed captions on, as otherwise you can miss important information due to the use of legal jargon as well as Roman's autistic flow of ideas. I was struck dumb at the end of the film. Looking back today, I see there were one or two weak points, but nothing much compared to the overwhelming power of the narrative.

• Nov 02, 2018

grows out to be a dragger.. Roman J. Israel, Esq. Gilroy's crime drama is a susceptible victim of its own case. Bound in its own mechanical formula, the feature finds itself piled up on, on fulfilling the necessities more than its luxury. And hence that results into lesser free range for it to completely open up its hands and welcome the concept or material; it seems like it is taken for granted in here. The narrative is adaptive and layered if not gripping and competent as the makers might suggest. Another major conundrum, is the reminiscence nature script that is on loop, which was intended to create a dramatic impact and instead grows out to be a dragger. Washington is in his A game. He is vulnerable but not weak, he celebrates and mourns, and he teaches and preaches and in the end most importantly, he learns. Ferrell is supporting him decently but there isn't much material for him to factor in effectively, it is all Washington. The conversations are pragmatic and the dialogues are jaw-dropping-good and with a deliver like Washington, the emotions convey the message crystal clear. Somehow, the tale doesn't feel completely honest, it keeps striking you as a testimony that is polished and filtered and not an honest one; it seems more justified and it makes more sense. The peak point of the feature itself is mediocre which is something the viewers assumes that it will come in handy considering the plot track, and yet there is very little aspect of cinematic thrills in here. After Nightcrawler, it definitely is a huge step down for Gilroy, the writer-director, whose vision is clearly misplaced and blurred. Roman J. Israel, Esq. is more of a tribute that works only for the makers passion of delivering a cut-throat crime drama, the only issue is, that there is no slicing, no drama and only a bit of a crime involved in it.

• Oct 29, 2018

The one good thing to come out of this slow, uneventful, and downright boring drama is Denzel Washington's magnetic performance.

• Oct 19, 2018

Utterly pointless. Great acting As always from DW but he has little to work with.