Romancing the Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Romancing the Stone Reviews

June 28, 2017
Adventure and comedy complete this entertaining romp about a diamond.
June 18, 2017
this has got to be one of my favourite movies although it's quite stupid I enjoy the simplicity of it and how so melodramatic
May 18, 2017
By today's standards, this would be a pretty predictable movie. Despite that, as a movie of the 80's, it is still a fun entertaining adventure film that pays homage to classic serial series. Well-directed, well-acted, and just all-around entertaining, Romancing the Stone i would give a watch if your into watching something a little old school.
April 23, 2017
An entertaining movie all around due to its quest and the two leads.
April 16, 2017
Whyyyyyy did it take me so long to watch this?!
April 14, 2017
A hidden gem. I might even like this more than Indiana Jones I love my obscure movies that nobody really talks about.
January 26, 2017
A playful attempt for duplicate the adventures of Indiana Jones, with the straight dose of action. Just for a evening.
January 20, 2017
Romancing the Stone has its flaws such as some stereotypes, sometimes overwhelming action and a somewhat typical and predictable story, but the film is so adventurous and charming with quite likable Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner, endearing romance, some very memorable set pieces and shots and a genuinely well crafted, intriguing plot.
December 30, 2016
I've sure been putting in a lot of time with 'older' movies. And I say it like that because, I believe, that I haven't seen a movie that was released prior to 1984 on this run. This is thanks to an add-on subscription, or at least a trial for one, for HBO. Honestly, they don't have many movies that I haven't seen and this was one of them. I've always wanted to see this movie anyway, so it ended up working out in the end. Another thing worth pointing out is, obviously, if you play video games, the influence that this movie has had on a video game franchise like Uncharted. A lot of people point out the similarities between Uncharted and Indiana Jones, what with its quick-witted sarcastic hero, but the exotic locations, perhaps even more so than Indiana Jones, seem more inspired by this movie. Granted, the Uncharted franchise goes to far more exotic places than this movie, and its sequel probably, did. Honestly, while I had a lot of fun watching this movie, I think the Uncharted franchise does a better job at actually making you care about their characters than this one. But I think that's due to the fact that you can tell a story in games through multiple releases, so you end up growing attached to the characters. Whereas this movie was really more of a one-and-done, even if the sequel did come out a year after this. But the sequel wasn't as favorably reviewed as this one, so there's that. Anyway, the point is that there was no denying the fact that I think parts of the film don't age as well as they probably could have and, to me, I felt the pacing could have been tightened up a little bit, like maybe have Jack and Joan meet earlier in the film and have their relationship be more antagonistic. Not necessarily even more antagonistic, just let it go on for longer is what I mean. Once Joan and Jack do meet up, however, the movie does pick up quite a bit and kicks its action-adventure and pulpy thrills. The story is as such, Joan Wilder, a pulp-romance novelist, goes to Colombia to save her sister from these thugs who want a map that Elaine's, Joan's sister, husband had that will lead them to the stone in question. Elaine's husband mailed the map to Joan, which is where she fits in. Once there she immediately gets into trouble, before she meets up with Jack Colton, played by Douglas, and she hires him to help her get to Cartagena, where she is to meet the thugs. Joan leads a lonely life, the novels she writes are more of wishful thinking of her part as to what she'd wish her romance life to be. Of course, as if you couldn't have already predicted, Jack Colton doesn't end up being anything like the hero in her novels. And that's the basis for the majority of the movie. The journey to find this stone to save his sister while, simultaneously, falling in love with Jack. I do think, however, that this aspect of the film isn't as well-developed as it could have been. I don't wanna say that the romance is forced, because it's not, there's an obvious attraction between the two, only helped by Kathleen Turner's excellent chemistry with Michael Douglas. The problem is that there's only a few teases of a developing romance, before they're downright fucking. And I realize that films have far more time constraints, particularly this type, than other forms of entertainment. Like in a book you can build a romance between two characters that feels organic and interesting. Or in a game where, again, a romance can build for hours, like in Mass Effect where you put in 40+ hours into the game before the romance pays off. In a television series you can build the romance across several episodes or even an entire season. Films are obviously more limited in that regard and I think that hurts the overall film. It's not that the characters wouldn't have gotten to that point eventually because, again, the leads' chemistry is apparent right from the moment they meet each other. It is what it is. There are sections of the film that are really fun. Like the scenes with Juan, who's like a friendlier Pablo Escobar, are the clear highlight of the film. There's also this scene right after the stone where everyone, from Zolo and his army, to the mountains all following Jack and Joan, who are driving away in a stolen vehicle. That scene was actually really cool and something that I would have hoped they showed more. Though I guess that would contradict what I said earlier about the pacing. I think the movie's third act, while not without its highlights, does drag a little bit and it hurts the movie somewhat. If the pacing was a little tighter, I'd have no problem giving this 3.5 stars. As it stands, I'm definitely more comfortable giving it 3. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good 'good' movie and I really did have a blast watching this. But I can't overlook its flaws. With that said, I'd still give this a recommendation if you haven't seen it yet. It's not a perfect movie and, really, no flick is, but this is a fun popcorn flick. Good movie here.
December 14, 2016
Love it. Great chemistry.
November 7, 2016
This film deserves more attention.
November 6, 2016
11/5/2016: I love this classic 80's adventure movie. Douglas and Turner are great together and made it a fun flick.
½ October 24, 2016
While funny at times, I kept finding myself wondering why they couldn't get Kurt Russell to play Colton. Michael Douglass is awesome now that he is old, but here, he is creepy.
½ October 17, 2016
An action comedy from the director of Indiana Jones. In fact, you can almost take Jones into a jungle instead of a desert and this is the movie you'd end up with. An entertaining time, but a bit ridiculous. Rating: 7 / 10
September 22, 2016
This was a fun romantic adventure comedy.
Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner were good in their roles.
Lots of fun and quite funny.
½ September 19, 2016
Romancing the Stone has the problem of feeling very derivative to me. Every step of the way I felt as if I'd seen all of it before, and I knew exactly where the story would go next. In some ways that kind of familiarity can be nice because it feels somewhat nostalgic, but it also sucks a lot of tension out of the film because I know how it will end up. Sure enough, aside from one moment that took me by surprise, the film was formulaic. However, I give it the benefit of the doubt because it might have been one of the first films to tell this kind of story, and I just missed it back in the day. The cast of the movie is great, particularly Michael Douglas as an Indiana Jones type. He is perfectly suited to play this cocky, but lovable adventurer. One of the big highlights for me were the few scenes with character-actor Alfonso Arau, because he always steals scenes and adds a great deal of laughs. The story is a fun romp through the jungle and includes all the good moments you want in a treasure hunting film. Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner had some chemistry with one another, so the romance was convincing. My one struggle with the story (aside from predictability) was trying to understand who all the bad guys were, and why they all knew about the map/treasure. I think a little more time spent establishing the villains would have been useful. Overall, I enjoyed Romancing the Stone. It was definitely not one of the greatest action-adventure-romance-comedies I've ever seen, but it is worth watching for sure.
½ August 31, 2016
Fantastic romance/adventure to come out of the 1980s. Also Kathleen Turner is amazing.
½ August 27, 2016
A great, funny, action-packed film.

8.75/10 or 4.5 stars
August 21, 2016
Funny adventure movie!
August 18, 2016
Romance novelist travels to Colombia in search of her sister, whose been kidnapped by villains. The soon meets a dreamy adventure guide and falls in love. Supporting performance from Danny DeVito makes this "Indiana Jones" for female audiences, worth watching.