Ruby Sparks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ruby Sparks Reviews

December 9, 2016
A movie must be good when your heart tells you the movie was a 5 but your brain says 4. I loved the movie. So to not get sucked up in how my heart feels the movie was a 4. The actors flowed together beautifully. The stoty was original and damn it, when you get to see Elliot Gould in a movie it's a bonus within a bonus. So why a 4? I felt the film ended to abruptly. It lost its flow towards the end. It was like the writer saw the ending and just went there. Don't get me wrong, my brain and heart loved the ending. It was just the quick trip there that they did not. The movie was wonderful and only $6.99 to buy on Amazon Prime. Score! I typed in feel good into my computer and Ruby Sparks popped up. Now I do. Good watching.
October 31, 2016
A fascinating story with an idea that seemed new to at least me. Overall, "Ruby Sparks" is able to tackle a larger issue while at the keeping a lighter tone when possible.
½ October 3, 2016
OK, the plot isn't original by any means, but this is how you do the dream woman coming to life scenario. It's witty, clever and has charm by the bucket load. And it's for those reasons that, even when it loses steam occasionally, you don't very much care, because the characters are so endearing and charming that you just want to spend time with them. In Ruby Sparks, Kazan has given us the best example of this kind of film that there's ever been.
½ July 27, 2016
What first seems like a simple one-joke romantic comedy turns out to be about so much more: a deeply honest and sad story about the selfish (but real) need that some people have of controlling someone else in order to feel loved and make an ideal relationship work.
July 14, 2016
This is the most exquisite, touching and simply 'perfect' film I have ever seen - it is my all time favourite. The writing is brilliant, the acting - sublime, the music score and editing wonderfully intertwined with the exceptional twist to the character plot lines. By far the best thing I've ever seen and in particular - so knowledgable about the ins and outs of self examination and relationship to oneself, our dreams and aspirations, and the desire to be known and loved. It touched me very deeply... and I fell in love with the actors' characters and their endearing performances... How did this not get nominated for Oscar? As a Film Professional for 25 years... it takes a lot to impress me... the originality of this screenplay is really exciting... I can't wait to see what Zoe and Paul do next. Francesca Dappen
June 16, 2016
Charming movie spurred by thoughtful writing and wonderful chemistry between the leads.
½ June 11, 2016
Love is magic and the person that you love is the magician. The trick is accepting who they are because that is part of the trick. If you try to change something the magic just disappear. Love like there is no tomorrow, and keep the spark even when the world falls in darkness
June 10, 2016
The ending seemed a bit contrived but Dano was completely believable as a neurotic childhood "genius" author and the chemistry between the real life couple was obvious on screen.
June 5, 2016
I give this an A/95.
June 1, 2016
Teasing a tempting idea, Ruby Sparks is a surprisingly witty romantic comedy with an intriguing undercurrent. Off-the-back of their breakout hit Little Miss Sunshine, Directors Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris deliver a tale of fiction, fantasy, desire, the combined power of imagination and the written word.

Cleverly conceived - if not completely original - by the films headlining actress Zoe Kazan; to entrance viewers with the magic of situation and the realism of reaction, Ruby Sparks is a lighthearted existential jaunt. Subconsciously escaping the mundane life of a truly lonely existence by allowing ones perception of the ideal partner to turn from a dream into reality, the emotional stakes have been raised, opening the door to a genuine opportunity for self-discovery.

Twenty-nine year old writer, Calvin Weir-Fields (Paul Dano) is unmistakably uncomfortable with being so phenomenally successful at such an early stage of his career. The 'genius' recluse suffers from an interesting combination of writers block, social awkwardness and perpetual singledom. Holed up in his lavish house-in-the-hills apartment, he instinctively shies away from the 10th anniversary release celebrations of his first (and only) novel and the repetitive pressured discussions of his next project.

Under the instruction of his ever patient shrink, Dr. Rosenthal (Elliot Gould), Calvin acquires companionship in scruffy little dog named Scotty, whose role is to get Calvin out of the house and meeting new people. But like- owner like-pet, Scotty has his own set of complex issues.

Changing tactics, Dr. Rosenthal tasks Calvin with a one page writing project focused on just one person who likes Scotty - just the way he is. Calvin's fingers all of a sudden explode to life, soaring across the keys of his old Olympia typewriter as he articulates a complicated redhead painter from Ohio named Ruby (Zoe Kazan).

Unable to stay away from this inspiring fictitious beauty, Calvin becomes obsessed by the character he has created and lives for typing-time with her. Not unlike the blank pages on which he writes, Calvin's life is white and clinical, until some bizarre items materialize - a small red bra, a pair of purple underwear and one morning, a quirky redhead in the kitchen whipping up eggs for breakfast.

Flabbergasted by the idea that his words could conjure up a flesh and blood person, Calvin's initial response is to ignore the situation. But when his brother Harry (Chris Messina) and the world at large agree she is in fact corporeal, Calvin allows the lines between fiction and real life to blur, engaging in a relationship with the figment of his imagination.

Will he discover the true meaning of the old adage 'be careful what you wish for'? If love doesn't run smoothly, will temptation lead him to abuse his new found power, changing her once endearing charms as they turn into insufferable eccentricities? Can happily-ever-after really be written from the bias perspective of one person?

In her deceptively challenging puppet-like role, Kazan is effervescent, spirited and intuitive; whilst the anxiously Woody Allen-esque Dano exudes the essence of an introspective neurotic writer, both conveying the required emotions artfully. Cameos from Steve Coogan, Annette Bening and Antonio Banderas are fun but somewhat distracting for the level of film, which is in direct contrast with Messina's natural archetypical male.

Issues with this production lay with its miscarriage of timing, its manufactured gravitas, and heavy handed chunkiness in parts. A lighter tact and delicacy would have made this seem more original and quelled the emotive desire we were left craving.

The Verdict: This kind of exploration into the male fantasy has been done umpteen times and always raises a number of moral questions, but interestingly enough, for what seems like the first time, the capacity to mould and regulate the fashioned female seems to have genuine consequences to which the male counterpart is affected.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 27/09/2012
½ May 28, 2016
Dr. Frankenstein, whatever his incarnation, is always surprised to discover that his creation has ideas of its own, doh!, and so it goes in this romantic comedy (with a couple serious messages thrown in to round the whole thing out some). The old absolute power corrupts absolutely angle could've used more airing here, but by and large this is just another cute romcom.
April 4, 2016
I love it so so much! I watched it on a plane a month ago and till now i still can't get over it! it makes me more excited when i found out Dano and Kazan are real life couple! and even more better Kazan wrote this story and they are both the executive for this movie!! this is such a nice story <3 it is too perfect to be real! ship for Dano and Kazan!!
½ April 2, 2016
Erilainen, ihana, raikas rakkaustarina - tykkäsin tosi paljon! Leffa oli hauska, koskettava, taianomainen. Huumori oli juuri oikeanlaista, pientä ja nasevaa. Paul Dano ja käsikirjoituksen tehnyt Zoe Kazan, pariskunta tosielämässäkin, olivat loisteliata, nuoria, tuoreita.Sen sijaan Annette Benningin ja Antonio Banderaksen hahmot olivat ihan turhia. Ilmeisesti heidät oli kirjoitettu mukaan jotta saatiin tunnetta kasvoja kanteen.Mutta kaikenkaikkiaan pitkään aikaan paras leffa, jonka olen nähnyt.
March 30, 2016
Zoe Kazan non é una stupida, tre film con lei che ho visto e tre storie gradevoli e ben congegniate anche se il genere non é di quelli che mi appassiona.
March 27, 2016
Very well executed, and always engaging and surprisingly ballsy and dark, but the final scene seems like a cheat. Most of the movie is a very smart critique of misogyny, and the final scene feels like a betrayal of that, something Hollywood tacked on that doesn't fit with the narrative that proceeds it.
March 8, 2016
Full of love and imagination.
½ March 3, 2016
A silly premise but the movie is cleverly written and the actors are great. I liked it in spite of itself.
March 1, 2016
A masterful piece of filmmaking that explores the difference between one being alone and being lonely. It's not exactly fun at times, but this movie's dark sense of humor, paired with an airtight script makes for a beautiful and ingenious piece of movie magic.

Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan's touching and unconventional chemistry makes this movie standout from the crowd, which is why it's an absolute crime that this movie is so underrated. This pairing will forever be one of my favorite on-screen couples, imaginary or not.

But easily the best part of this film is the script. From the creative premise to the pitch-perfect dialogue, this is a perfect storm of indie cinema gold.

A masterpiece. Touching, beautiful, hilarious, and oddly haunting. This is a near perfect movie. Criminally underrated.
½ December 13, 2015
If I'd seen Ruby Sparks when it came out in 2012, it probably would've been a contender for my film of that year. Loved it.