Rushmore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rushmore Reviews

May 27, 2018
Esta película entra tranquilamente en mi top 3 de favoritas de todos los tiempos, una obra maestra mágica, una historia genial (con la que me llegué a identificar) y personajes perfectamente desarrollados. Ya han pasado 20 años desde su estreno y aun así no pierde una sola gota de esencia con el paso del tiempo. Finalmente, a pesar de que se la puede considerar una "Comedia", no es que realmente haya algo que pueda hacerte soltar una megacarcajada, pero en general, la película te garantiza unos 90 minutos agradables y satisfactorios.
½ May 11, 2018
Wes Anderson's debut is as stylish as it is hilarious, filled with great performances and the director's patented style.
½ March 31, 2018
Wes Anderson classic.. Add to must watch again list.
Feel good movie!!! :D
March 29, 2018
This is my second favorite Wes Anderson film only to Bottle Rocket. Funny, clever, engaging, well developed, interesting story. Thanks Wes and Owen.
March 29, 2018
Great fantastic phenomenal movie starring Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray directed by one of the greatest directors of all time Wes Anderson. The story is vague but how wes Anderson executes it is amazing and I can't wait to watch this movie again and I can't wait for whatever Wes Anderson does next.
½ February 26, 2018
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Divertida y nostálgica, con memorables personajes envueltos en una envolvente historia, producto de un gran guión y una acertada dirección.
½ February 25, 2018
Wes Anderson's second feature film stands, in my opinion, as a pivotal point in his career. Next to his filmmaking partner Owen Wilson and the likes of Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray they manage to make an offbeat, quirky comedy that stands on his own, startting the development of the classic "Andersonian" trademarks of his later films.
February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 4, 2018
Rushmore is the true beginning of Wes Anderson's unique filming and writing style. With quirky and lovable characters, a great cast, and lots of laughs, it's hard to hate this cult classic.
January 14, 2018
Rushmore follows Max Fischer (Jason Schwartzman) as he works his way through adolescence at Rushmore Academy. Max is much more devoted to his many extra curricular activities than his studies and adores his school. But when he falls in love with one of the teachers (Olivia Williams) it threatens his first love, Rushmore.

Right from the start of the film we see that Max is not completely in touch with reality as the film opens with a daydream of Max's as he dozes off during a speech being given at an assembly. We are also introduced to another major character in this scene. Giving the speech at this assembly is Herman Blume (Bill Murray). Anderson already showed his ability create rich and interesting characters in his first film "Bottle Rocket" but he truly comes to form in "Rushmore". Anderson has always had a knack at getting the most out of his actors and smoothly bringing them into his world. Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman are staples to the Anderson filmography and they are utilized perfectly in their roles. Their chemistry in this film is among some of the best in Anderson's works.

Something that I think clicks in Rushmore that Wes Anderson didn't necessarily achieve in his first film was making even the tertiary characters sympathetic and meaningful. A great example of this in Rushmore is the character Magnus Buchan (Stephen McCole). Magnus is a clear antagonist throughout the film. However, near the end we get a very endearing moment with Magnus. Max offers him a role in his final play and Magnus responds simply with "I always wanted to be in one of your fuckin' plays." Anderson loves to play with the idea of no clear cut antagonists of protagonists. In his films, much like in life, things are not always so clear between good and bad we are still people in the end. Anderson also writes Max's father (Seymour Cassell) beautifully. He writes him as one of the sweetest father figures imaginable without making him too unbelievable or cheesy. Anderson's dynamic between father and son is so subtle and so sweet it makes for a very strong smaller part of the film. All of these smaller roles that have such a big impact on the film as a whole helps "Rushmore" stand out as a much more well rounded work of Wes Anderson.

Another theme Anderson hints at in "Bottle Rocket" but that resonates much stronger in "Rushmore" is the concept of children acting like adults and adults acting like children, or at least, trying to. We did see this in "Bottle Rocket" with the relationship between Anthony Adams (Luke Wilson) and his sister Grace (Shea Fowler). But in "Rushmore" Anderson has much more to work with and plays with this theme much more. And then comes back to it incredibly successfully with "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "Moonrise Kingdom".

With "Rushmore" we finally get our first look at a true Wes Anderson soundtrack. And with the first addition of Mark Mothersbaugh to the score "Rushmore" is a truly great soundtrack and my personal favorite of his. The addition of Mark Mothersbaugh is something that proves to compliment Andersons next few films so brilliantly. Anderson scatters in some of his personal favorites as well to the score. Adding some great tracks from The Rolling Stones, John Lennon and Cat Stevens, to name a few.

Right from the get go in "Bottle Rocket" we knew Anderson would be a filmmaker who was a stickler for color and framing and Rushmore, nor any of his other films, have proved any different. Wes Anderson's anal attention to detail in his films makes them visually some of the most appealing cinema we have.

And, of course, we end the film with another staple to the Anderson films, a slow motion scene. "Rushmore" solidifies Anderson's creative style and launches his career into what it is today. "Bottle Rocket" feels like Anderson creates a small little corner in the world. But in "Rushmore" Anderson creates an entire world. The way his characters talk and interact with each other would not be possible in the real world. Anderson writes characters in a way that is so unlike anything we, in the real world, would ever see. But in a way that is also incredibly honest and relatable.

"It's good, but let's hope it's got a happy ending"
December 20, 2017
M-F

8.4

[Wes Anderson]
½ November 21, 2017
I give this a 99/A+.
September 13, 2017
****
Wes Anderson crafts another fantastically unconventional comedy with excellent performances and his typically witty style.
July 10, 2017
Really funny and clever movie that put Wes Anderson in the spotlight with all the other great directors of the past generations.
½ July 7, 2017
Clearly Anderson was still honing his style in Rushmore. But the film is all the better because of it.
½ June 12, 2017
Very quirky, funny, and entertaining. What is expected with any Wes Anderson film.
June 10, 2017
6/8/2017: Meh. It had its moments, but overall it was a pretty dull movie. More of a "dry" comedy and didn't have many laughable moments.
May 20, 2017
One could say it's Wes Anderson's best movie.
½ April 14, 2017
This movie isn't entertaining. It forces you too embrace in its cringe-worthy "charm" Clockwork Orange style.