Rushmore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rushmore Reviews

½ April 14, 2017
This movie isn't entertaining. It forces you too embrace in its cringe-worthy "charm" Clockwork Orange style.
March 30, 2017
Wes Anderson's sophomore effort not only sets the scene for his unique visual style, but also tells a really touching story of three different souls all searching for different things. Anderson's approach to a typical teenage coming-of-age story, which focuses just as much on supporting characters as it does its lead, is a fresh take on a character who, unlike many coming-of-age protagonists, needs to realize that maybe growing up isn't something to be rushed. While it's not Anderson's funniest film, it packs plenty of laughs without ever losing sight on its sense of heart, and it's a tale that'll resonate long after the curtains close and the credits roll.
February 6, 2017
My favorite movie of all time. The best Wes Anderson has made this far (which is saying something, as all of his work is exceptional). Funny and touching, with career highlighting performances for everyone involved.
February 1, 2017
Another Bill Murray Wes Anderson pair up. Either you like this type of movie or you hate it, I really liked it.
January 21, 2017
This film is hilariously wonderful. Wes Anderson has wooed me yet again with his impressive direction. Rushmore has an immense amount of humor, charm, and sparkle blended together so perfectly that it was captivating from beginning to end. I absolutely loved this movie and would love to see it again to brighten my day.
½ December 21, 2016
An adorable and refreshing comedy that works so well due to Jason Schwartzman's and Bill Murray's captivating performances, and it is very well directed and relies on that unique and quirky sense of humor that is Wes Anderson's trademark style.
December 18, 2016
Wes Anderson's lyrical, offbeat coming-of-age comedy "Rushmore" is a true original. Max (Jason Schwartzman) is a precocious overachiever who attends a prestigious prep school where he spends more time in extra curricular activities than in his studies. He falls for a first-grade teacher (Olivia Williams) while befriending a local business tycoon (Bill Murray). The humor is droll and eccentric but there is an underlying desperation that is poignant. It has parallels to "The Graduate" but it is less calculated and more heartfelt than that. Bill Murray gives one of his finest performances as a successful businessman suffering a mid-life crisis. Murray is very subtle here showing an adult who is capable of acting like a juvenile while expressing shades of loneliness and regret. Anderson uses a symmetrical mise en scene but it isn't over composed in a manner that would mar his later movies. The Scorsese-like soundtrack with music by Mark Mothersbaugh, consisting of British invasion rock songs, is fresh and inspired. Selected for preservation by the National Film Registry. Written by Anderson and Owen Wilson. With Brian Cox as the school headmaster, Mason Gamble, Seymour Cassel, Connie Nielsen, and Luke Wilson.
½ December 18, 2016
It wasn't too bad but it's one of those movies that tries too hard to be different. Schwartzman was pretty entertaining.
December 14, 2016
The roots of future Anderson works are rooted in Rushmore. A endearing, quirky film bolstered by strong performances.
December 10, 2016
I can find nothing wrong with this. You win, Wes.
November 26, 2016
All those feelings expressed through Jason Schwartzman and the rivalry between his character and Bill Murray's can very be related to at every stage of our lives. Wes Anderson' s movies always provide all elements on the emotion spectrum to remind you that such is life. The ending of Rushmore gives you a (im)perfect hit. Brilliant is an understatement.
½ September 22, 2016
Bill Murray is awesome as always. The rest of the movie is garbage, just like 99 percent of what comes out of hollywood.
½ September 20, 2016
Amazingly funny, Wes Anderson's second film is everything you've come to expect, Schwartzman character is surprisingly enchanting, even though his unpleasant personality.
September 8, 2016
I once thought of a different film whenever considering a movie snubbed in every way, but now i think of this movie. It is well acted well written and has one of the best breakout movie roles as well as one of the best career comebacks of all time. The best performance is that of Jason Schwartzman as the quirky yet sometimes sociopathic Max Fischer. Bill Murray is also in my opinion one of his top 2 roles, And this isn't even my favorite Wes Anderson movie.
August 29, 2016
My favorite Wes Anderson film. Like a modern day Harold and Maude!
½ August 12, 2016
Wes Anderson probably was that quirky, weird, and brilliant kid. If you don't like this movie, it's probably because the teen spirit in your heart was swept away like fallen leaves on the sides of the street.
August 7, 2016
Aug 7, 2016

Airplane to CA

Myself
June 23, 2016
I would call this one of those rare perfect films. It hits all the marks, and has a depth that is subtle enough not to be pretentious and profound enough to hit all the right notes.
June 18, 2016
My favorite movie, i love how anderson make me believe in the story and the characters.
Great performance by both lead actors
May 19, 2016
Wes Anderson's genius is visible in this movie, albeit fleetingly. You can see the director he has become through this film. Jason was outstanding and Bill Murray was also fantastic. I laughed out aloud in several parts of the movie but overall, it did not satisfy much more than some cheesy laughs. That to me, was a disappointment for a Wes Anderson movie. The shot framing and movement was engaging and the pace was also spot on.