Rushmore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rushmore Reviews

½ December 21, 2016
An adorable and refreshing comedy that works so well due to Jason Schwartzman's and Bill Murray's captivating performances, and it is very well directed and relies on that unique and quirky sense of humor that is Wes Anderson's trademark style.
December 18, 2016
Wes Anderson's lyrical, offbeat coming-of-age comedy "Rushmore" is a true original. Max (Jason Schwartzman) is a precocious overachiever who attends a prestigious prep school where he spends more time in extra curricular activities than in his studies. He falls for a first-grade teacher (Olivia Williams) while befriending a local business tycoon (Bill Murray). The humor is droll and eccentric but there is an underlying desperation that is poignant. It has parallels to "The Graduate" but it is less calculated and more heartfelt than that. Bill Murray gives one of his finest performances as a successful businessman suffering a mid-life crisis. Murray is very subtle here showing an adult who is capable of acting like a juvenile while expressing shades of loneliness and regret. Anderson uses a symmetrical mise en scene but it isn't over composed in a manner that would mar his later movies. The Scorsese-like soundtrack with music by Mark Mothersbaugh, consisting of British invasion rock songs, is fresh and inspired. Selected for preservation by the National Film Registry. Written by Anderson and Owen Wilson. With Brian Cox as the school headmaster, Mason Gamble, Seymour Cassel, Connie Nielsen, and Luke Wilson.
½ December 18, 2016
It wasn't too bad but it's one of those movies that tries too hard to be different. Schwartzman was pretty entertaining.
December 14, 2016
The roots of future Anderson works are rooted in Rushmore. A endearing, quirky film bolstered by strong performances.
December 10, 2016
I can find nothing wrong with this. You win, Wes.
November 26, 2016
All those feelings expressed through Jason Schwartzman and the rivalry between his character and Bill Murray's can very be related to at every stage of our lives. Wes Anderson' s movies always provide all elements on the emotion spectrum to remind you that such is life. The ending of Rushmore gives you a (im)perfect hit. Brilliant is an understatement.
½ September 22, 2016
Bill Murray is awesome as always. The rest of the movie is garbage, just like 99 percent of what comes out of hollywood.
½ September 20, 2016
Amazingly funny, Wes Anderson's second film is everything you've come to expect, Schwartzman character is surprisingly enchanting, even though his unpleasant personality.
September 8, 2016
I once thought of a different film whenever considering a movie snubbed in every way, but now i think of this movie. It is well acted well written and has one of the best breakout movie roles as well as one of the best career comebacks of all time. The best performance is that of Jason Schwartzman as the quirky yet sometimes sociopathic Max Fischer. Bill Murray is also in my opinion one of his top 2 roles, And this isn't even my favorite Wes Anderson movie.
August 29, 2016
My favorite Wes Anderson film. Like a modern day Harold and Maude!
½ August 12, 2016
Wes Anderson probably was that quirky, weird, and brilliant kid. If you don't like this movie, it's probably because the teen spirit in your heart was swept away like fallen leaves on the sides of the street.
August 7, 2016
Aug 7, 2016

Airplane to CA

Myself
June 23, 2016
I would call this one of those rare perfect films. It hits all the marks, and has a depth that is subtle enough not to be pretentious and profound enough to hit all the right notes.
June 18, 2016
My favorite movie, i love how anderson make me believe in the story and the characters.
Great performance by both lead actors
May 19, 2016
Wes Anderson's genius is visible in this movie, albeit fleetingly. You can see the director he has become through this film. Jason was outstanding and Bill Murray was also fantastic. I laughed out aloud in several parts of the movie but overall, it did not satisfy much more than some cheesy laughs. That to me, was a disappointment for a Wes Anderson movie. The shot framing and movement was engaging and the pace was also spot on.
May 5, 2016
Wes Anderson films are some of the most beautiful, enjoyable ever put on camera. It's undeniable when you see an Anderson film. "Rushmore" opened the doors for Anderson with the critics, and it is a great film. The only problems are that it's a bit uneven. It tells the coming of age story of Max Fischer through roughly four to five months. His loves, his triumphs, his failures.
The film opens with the math teacher being asked about a math question so impossible that if any one of his students were to solve it, they will never have to open another math book for the rest of their lives. The teacher asks Max Fischer (Jason Schwartzman) to take a crack at it, he puts down his newspaper and walks up to the board and gets it right to tremendous applause by his classmates only to wake up. This sets the audience up to believe he is one of the most intelligent kids at the prep school Rushmore only to find out that he is one of the worst students at the school. He is at risk of being expelled.
Max may be one of the worst students but he finds a lot of time for extracurricular studies as either presidents or founder. His ambition far exceeds his actual intelligence. He is only fifteen and comes from a modest background. His father is a barber and his mother is dead. He got a academic scholarship to the school for writing a play when he was 7. He impresses everyone he meets, including the father of his classmates named Herman Bluthe (Bill Murray). Blume and Max become friends.
Max also meets new teacher Rosemary Cross, a widower whose husband went to Rushmore years ago before meeting her. Max develops a crush on her and soon, so does Bluthe. The two then fight for her affection before Max is kicked out of school and she dumps Bluthe. The rest of the film involves Max making up with Bluthe and trying to win her back for him while trying to make public school a little more like Rushmore.
Seymour Cassel plays Bert Fischer, Max's loving father who is such an absolutely wonderful man that it's a shame he wasn't in the film more. He supports his son through every endeavor and imagines huge things for him. Even when Max drops out of school and starts to apprentice with his Dad, Bert still wants the best, but on Max's terms. He may be overwhelmed raising a kid on his own, but he is such a great guy.
This film works not only as a great introduction to Anderson's style, but the starting point for the Bill Murray/indie relationship that would eventually land him his only Oscar nomination to date.
April 23, 2016
Wes Anderson can do no wrong.
½ April 10, 2016
Finally had occasion to give this a re-watch and I have to say that I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as I remembered enjoying it, which is a weird sensation for me. Normally my enthusiasm for a film remains the same, or in certain cases gains esteem in my mind.

Perhaps I felt more sympathetic to Jason Schwartzman's Max character in my early '20s, or it could be something as simple as my tastes in film having changed, but I found the character fairly exhausting on this re-watch, so I don't know what to make of that.

Still, it's an enjoyable, well-made film and well worth your time.

Give it a rental.
½ April 10, 2016
Rushmore is a generous 4.5/5 stars. It is a unique "teen" comedy that is quite different from many in this genre. First timer Jason Schwartzman launched his career as the protagonist. Bill Murray plays a mundane, childish, industrialist and Olivia Williams their simple and charming love interest.

The film has a few gut-bursting, hilarious scenes. The soundtrack is full of obscure 60s and 70s rock songs pieced together by the founder of Devo.

This script is written so well that there are few, if any, periods where the film is trying to find itself. The film is constant flowing from one scene to the next, held tightly together by a great story and protagonist.

High recommendation for people who are looking for a light-hearted comedy.