Rushmore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rushmore Reviews

½ February 26, 2018
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Divertida y nostálgica, con memorables personajes envueltos en una envolvente historia, producto de un gran guión y una acertada dirección.
½ February 25, 2018
Wes Anderson's second feature film stands, in my opinion, as a pivotal point in his career. Next to his filmmaking partner Owen Wilson and the likes of Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray they manage to make an offbeat, quirky comedy that stands on his own, startting the development of the classic "Andersonian" trademarks of his later films.
February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 4, 2018
Rushmore is the true beginning of Wes Anderson's unique filming and writing style. With quirky and lovable characters, a great cast, and lots of laughs, it's hard to hate this cult classic.
January 14, 2018
Rushmore follows Max Fischer (Jason Schwartzman) as he works his way through adolescence at Rushmore Academy. Max is much more devoted to his many extra curricular activities than his studies and adores his school. But when he falls in love with one of the teachers (Olivia Williams) it threatens his first love, Rushmore.

Right from the start of the film we see that Max is not completely in touch with reality as the film opens with a daydream of Max's as he dozes off during a speech being given at an assembly. We are also introduced to another major character in this scene. Giving the speech at this assembly is Herman Blume (Bill Murray). Anderson already showed his ability create rich and interesting characters in his first film "Bottle Rocket" but he truly comes to form in "Rushmore". Anderson has always had a knack at getting the most out of his actors and smoothly bringing them into his world. Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman are staples to the Anderson filmography and they are utilized perfectly in their roles. Their chemistry in this film is among some of the best in Anderson's works.

Something that I think clicks in Rushmore that Wes Anderson didn't necessarily achieve in his first film was making even the tertiary characters sympathetic and meaningful. A great example of this in Rushmore is the character Magnus Buchan (Stephen McCole). Magnus is a clear antagonist throughout the film. However, near the end we get a very endearing moment with Magnus. Max offers him a role in his final play and Magnus responds simply with "I always wanted to be in one of your fuckin' plays." Anderson loves to play with the idea of no clear cut antagonists of protagonists. In his films, much like in life, things are not always so clear between good and bad we are still people in the end. Anderson also writes Max's father (Seymour Cassell) beautifully. He writes him as one of the sweetest father figures imaginable without making him too unbelievable or cheesy. Anderson's dynamic between father and son is so subtle and so sweet it makes for a very strong smaller part of the film. All of these smaller roles that have such a big impact on the film as a whole helps "Rushmore" stand out as a much more well rounded work of Wes Anderson.

Another theme Anderson hints at in "Bottle Rocket" but that resonates much stronger in "Rushmore" is the concept of children acting like adults and adults acting like children, or at least, trying to. We did see this in "Bottle Rocket" with the relationship between Anthony Adams (Luke Wilson) and his sister Grace (Shea Fowler). But in "Rushmore" Anderson has much more to work with and plays with this theme much more. And then comes back to it incredibly successfully with "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "Moonrise Kingdom".

With "Rushmore" we finally get our first look at a true Wes Anderson soundtrack. And with the first addition of Mark Mothersbaugh to the score "Rushmore" is a truly great soundtrack and my personal favorite of his. The addition of Mark Mothersbaugh is something that proves to compliment Andersons next few films so brilliantly. Anderson scatters in some of his personal favorites as well to the score. Adding some great tracks from The Rolling Stones, John Lennon and Cat Stevens, to name a few.

Right from the get go in "Bottle Rocket" we knew Anderson would be a filmmaker who was a stickler for color and framing and Rushmore, nor any of his other films, have proved any different. Wes Anderson's anal attention to detail in his films makes them visually some of the most appealing cinema we have.

And, of course, we end the film with another staple to the Anderson films, a slow motion scene. "Rushmore" solidifies Anderson's creative style and launches his career into what it is today. "Bottle Rocket" feels like Anderson creates a small little corner in the world. But in "Rushmore" Anderson creates an entire world. The way his characters talk and interact with each other would not be possible in the real world. Anderson writes characters in a way that is so unlike anything we, in the real world, would ever see. But in a way that is also incredibly honest and relatable.

"It's good, but let's hope it's got a happy ending"
December 20, 2017

[Wes Anderson]
½ November 21, 2017
I give this a 99/A+.
September 13, 2017
Wes Anderson crafts another fantastically unconventional comedy with excellent performances and his typically witty style.
July 10, 2017
Really funny and clever movie that put Wes Anderson in the spotlight with all the other great directors of the past generations.
½ July 7, 2017
Clearly Anderson was still honing his style in Rushmore. But the film is all the better because of it.
½ June 12, 2017
Very quirky, funny, and entertaining. What is expected with any Wes Anderson film.
June 10, 2017
6/8/2017: Meh. It had its moments, but overall it was a pretty dull movie. More of a "dry" comedy and didn't have many laughable moments.
May 20, 2017
One could say it's Wes Anderson's best movie.
½ April 14, 2017
This movie isn't entertaining. It forces you too embrace in its cringe-worthy "charm" Clockwork Orange style.
March 30, 2017
Wes Anderson's sophomore effort not only sets the scene for his unique visual style, but also tells a really touching story of three different souls all searching for different things. Anderson's approach to a typical teenage coming-of-age story, which focuses just as much on supporting characters as it does its lead, is a fresh take on a character who, unlike many coming-of-age protagonists, needs to realize that maybe growing up isn't something to be rushed. While it's not Anderson's funniest film, it packs plenty of laughs without ever losing sight on its sense of heart, and it's a tale that'll resonate long after the curtains close and the credits roll.
February 6, 2017
My favorite movie of all time. The best Wes Anderson has made this far (which is saying something, as all of his work is exceptional). Funny and touching, with career highlighting performances for everyone involved.
February 1, 2017
Another Bill Murray Wes Anderson pair up. Either you like this type of movie or you hate it, I really liked it.
January 21, 2017
This film is hilariously wonderful. Wes Anderson has wooed me yet again with his impressive direction. Rushmore has an immense amount of humor, charm, and sparkle blended together so perfectly that it was captivating from beginning to end. I absolutely loved this movie and would love to see it again to brighten my day.
½ December 21, 2016
An adorable and refreshing comedy that works so well due to Jason Schwartzman's and Bill Murray's captivating performances, and it is very well directed and relies on that unique and quirky sense of humor that is Wes Anderson's trademark style.
December 18, 2016
Wes Anderson's lyrical, offbeat coming-of-age comedy "Rushmore" is a true original. Max (Jason Schwartzman) is a precocious overachiever who attends a prestigious prep school where he spends more time in extra curricular activities than in his studies. He falls for a first-grade teacher (Olivia Williams) while befriending a local business tycoon (Bill Murray). The humor is droll and eccentric but there is an underlying desperation that is poignant. It has parallels to "The Graduate" but it is less calculated and more heartfelt than that. Bill Murray gives one of his finest performances as a successful businessman suffering a mid-life crisis. Murray is very subtle here showing an adult who is capable of acting like a juvenile while expressing shades of loneliness and regret. Anderson uses a symmetrical mise en scene but it isn't over composed in a manner that would mar his later movies. The Scorsese-like soundtrack with music by Mark Mothersbaugh, consisting of British invasion rock songs, is fresh and inspired. Selected for preservation by the National Film Registry. Written by Anderson and Owen Wilson. With Brian Cox as the school headmaster, Mason Gamble, Seymour Cassel, Connie Nielsen, and Luke Wilson.