Saving Face Reviews

• Jan 26, 2019

This is such a wonderful lesbian movie, and it is nice to watch one that shows a completely different culture and environment. It does deal with coming out, but this isn't a teenager, this is an adult woman with a great job, her life together, and then in comes her 48 year old mother, who just-so-happens to be knocked up, and has to move in with her closeted gay daughter. After the mother moves in, it's a slow build up to a whirlwind of gay drama, who's the baby daddy, coming out, and true love. Seriously, this movie has it all and really should be watched by every lesbian possible. Side Note: no one is going to like the grandpa though, so just be prepared to hate him, and for a little bit be angry with the knocked up mom. But fear not, this move has a HEA (happily ever after) for everyone.

• Jan 04, 2019

Saving Face is my favorite type of film and a great blueprint, I think, for the kinds of Asian American stories I want to see more of going forward. Stories that center the humanity and lived experiences of its people while their cultural backgrounds serve to inform and contextualize the story. It's not overly preachy but is still undoubtedly grounded in telling a story about queer women of color. Read full review: jane-han.com/filmblog/2018/8/1/film-review-saving-face-2004

• Jun 14, 2018

deeply implanted and rebellious to my iwn culture. The culture is changing now. But for MOST, gay is still a taboo.

• Aug 16, 2017

Saving Face is a cute romantic comedy, but nothing more. I like that the lead is Chinese-American and gay, but her relationship with Vivian is based on not much. We never see any meaningful conversations involving the two and it seems like both characters aren't being opened up, which is very important in my opinion. The plot is actually interesting but it could have been executed in a much more interesting and humorous way. Watching it was nice but I won't watch it again.

• Apr 27, 2017

interesting seeing the gay thing from another cultures pov

interesting seeing the gay thing from another cultures pov

• Apr 02, 2017

you just want to shake everyone in this family !

you just want to shake everyone in this family !

• Dec 17, 2014

Lovely dramedy about intersections of identity, family honor and authentic living.

• Dec 12, 2014

3/5 --- finally an Asian film about a gay person that's pretty realistic and written traditionally with modern blended in perfectly! Not that is show my parents (maybe), it does have a lot of spoken Mandarin Chinese, but also some sexuals ;) Nicely written characters who have stereotypical jobs (of course, does happen), but who are also funny and emotional. Recommended for (Asian) people struggling with coming out to their parents.

• Nov 15, 2014

A beautifully articulated film featuring an intimate storyline that presents the struggle of being gay in a society that doesn't understand the concept. The combination of both humour and real-life issues shows us that to everything, there is always a little bit of a bright side. Excellent acting talents included.

• Aug 20, 2014

im not interested in gay films.

im not interested in gay films.