Seven Pounds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven Pounds Reviews

June 11, 2018
Don't believe the Tomatometer, this is one of the best movies ever made.
June 4, 2018
Bad script but well made, the performance of Woody Harrelson took it to the 3 stars I gave it.
½ June 2, 2018
Maybe a bit melodramatic, but Will Smith's sympathetic performance and its emotionally resonant story really carries this movie. I really don't think it deserves a 26% on here.
May 13, 2018
The most heartfelt emotional and inspiring movie on my most liked movies. Will Smith is a beautiful soul. A amazing actor. He is one of my favorite actors.
½ May 12, 2018
An emotional and powerful performance by Will Smith in a solid, overall film.

Ben Thomas, an IRS agent with a fateful secret, embarks on an extraordinary journey of redemption by forever changing the lives of seven strangers.

After watching this late at night on Netflix, I was really moved by what I had seen. After watching it, I'm now coming here to write about the film. In all honesty, I'm shocked. I'm surprised at how low the score is and how many people heavily dislike this film. Granted, it wasn't a perfect film in anyway shape or form but I thought it was an emotional piece that kept me invested throughout. It seemed to do what it was made to do and while it has its problems, it certainly has some good things going for it.

Let's start by saying I think Will Smith is great. This guy can do so much and this is just another emotional performance from him. I've tended to find a lot of attachment to his films like "I Am Legend, "i, Robot", among others, and I think it's because of how strong he excels in his roles. He's someone who can really bring it up to another level and he did great in this film. Him, along with the rest of the cast, did not fail to meet expectations in the slightest.

Yes, I absolutely understood that the plot was illogical. Maybe this couldn't really happen in real life but regardless, I didn't think it was enough to suspend my belief. This was about a man trying to find the right people to give life to and I think that bodes for a great character study. I feel like I was able to see people's different lives and different perspectives and it really touched me. It wasn't a perfect film but I feel like it did its job.

One thing I also thought was solid was just the overall tone and feel of the film. Like I said, I really did feel invested in this film. I couldn't completely grasp everything that was going on and the ending, although strong, didn't make much sense. There's some story-telling problems here but I felt like the story-tellers wanted you to think. They told the story and left out a big piece of information but that was the fun part to me.

In the end, "Seven Pounds" provides some emotional moments and some great performances. No, it may not be the perfect film but I think it's certainly worth watching and not nearly as bad as everyone is claiming it to be.
½ May 2, 2018
it moved rather slow at points, the presmise was interesting. The look on his face at times was like he wanted to laugh. That ot of tune piano made me nuts. Glad I didn't pay for this at the theater
April 26, 2018
Enjoyed erery minute of this movie.
April 22, 2018
Seven pounds of flesh is how he felt he could repay his horrible tradgedy. I found myself barely coherent from tears the last half hour of the movie, when I truly realized the depths of this man's truly burdensome survivor's guilt. And no body gets the jellyfish...Come on -- the toxins would kill him bit not damage the organs, as a matter of fact they helped with the stasis. Not something you NEED to know, just know he died by the toxins. Will Smith constantly astounds me with the power of his subject matter, but this one I will wear on my sleeve for quite a while. Seven pounds of a man's flesh can change so many lives. Perhaps we all should contemplate that a little bit more fully and a little more often. Kudos, to the entire cast who played their parts of his lives so beautifully.
½ April 19, 2018
dull and uninteresting. screenplay is poor and the setting is repetitive. the film doesn't take things as far as it should; it's more than badly made - it's boring.
April 17, 2018
I really enjoyed the movie! Not sure why Rotten Tomatoes scores it so low!

Tears at your heart!
April 15, 2018
partly based on stupid pecentages like this one, I never watched this film until today. I disagree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with 26% ... wt?? It's a great film. It requires thinking, compassion and love to interpret fully. I wholly recommend this movie!!!
½ March 19, 2018
I really liked it. I thought Will Smith did an awesome job and the plot was deep.
March 16, 2018
Seven Pounds pertence a um grupo específico de filmes que se focam numa personagem e exploram toda a sua humanidade (ou falta dela), assim como as suas motivações. Muitas destas entidades são escritas com o propósito de alertar para uma ou um conjunto de realidades. São 2 horas dedicadas a observar atentamente os seus passos.

Will Smith interpreta Ben Thomas (Will Smith), um agente da IRS (Internal Revenue Service) que enigmaticamente se presta a ajudar pessoas sem exigir qualquer retorno. Ao seu ritmo, acompanhamos Ben, na certeza que a personagem a certo ponto irá pensar em cometer suicídio, pois o filme não se inibe de o revelar logo no seu início. Sem essa cena, acredito que o final seria mais surpreendente, mas não se enganem, a longa-metragem escrita e realizada por Gabriele Muccino tem algumas cartas na manga.

O seu desenvolvimento é lento, o que pode ser à partida aborrecido. Não é de facto um primeiro ato exorbitante, mas assim que começamos a juntar as peças do puzzle, torna-se muito mais interessante. É necessário tempo para contar uma história que procura ser metódica e mecânica com o seu enredo. Tematicamente, o argumento invoca princípios como o altruísmo, o auto-sacrifício, a atenção pelo outro e, em última instância, a redenção.

Will Smith está em forma para este papel complexo, onde o sucesso estava em encontrar o balanço entre emoções positivas e negativas. A sua performance, demonstra por um lado breves momentos de felicidade e por outro uma angústia e pesar interior. Rosario Dawson consegue também mais uma boa atuação, repleta de autenticidade. A sua química com Will Smith é o destaque do filme.

Não sou, no entanto, apreciador da mensagem do filme. Como foi referido anteriormente, o nosso protagonista pretende suicidar-se. Condeno a forma como a ideia é abordada no filme porque acredito que o caminho a seguir deve ser outro. Devemos alertar e moldar comportamentos, criar as condições ideais para que as pessoas consigam ver a luz ao fundo do túnel. Dito isto, a personagem está bem escrita, mas o seu desfecho podia ter transmitido uma mensagem mais poderosa.

Gabriele Muccino demonstra talento a orientar atores experientes e a criar espaços confortáveis, iluminando cuidadosamente os locais de filmagem para que as ações decorressem com a maior espontaneidade possível. Contudo, algumas falhas conceituais, fluidez entre atos e edição, afastam o pleno proveito desta obra, que dentro da sua bolha pode deixar alguma amargura na boca.

6,6/10
March 11, 2018
Ive seem the film teice now, both times having cried my eyes out. Such an emoTional, Deep film. I didnt know whether to feel happy or heartbroken at the end!
½ February 12, 2018
This was a really tough rating to figure out; you really have to be in the right type of mindset to watch a movie as heavy and emotional as this, but in the end, I found the story to be tragic and wonderful at the same time, albeit with some flaws. Will Smith and Rosario Dawson certainly do a great job, and while the actions of Will Smith's character finally make sense at the end of the film, I think the film is almost too tragic for its own good. Because of that, the emotional impact of the ending didn't hit me nearly as hard as I think was intended, but there's certainly an uplifting message in there. At least for me, it was just too difficult to fully accept because you end up connecting with Will Smith's character over the course of the film in a way where you want to see him figure out a better... "resolution" to his situation. I suppose this is just one movie that is almost too close to reality and not enough of a fairy tale, but it definitely makes you think and feel grateful for what you have.
January 16, 2018
I loved this emotional movie because it was very deep and made you think about deep questions in life that I otherwise wouldn't have thought about.
January 15, 2018
Seven pounds Is the most brilliant film I have ever seen. It is such a beautiful story, nothing like it. the ending is sad but beautiful at the same time, most cunning, and captivating ending. this film deserves much more credit, it is truly beautiful.
December 27, 2017
After what I've heard I may just rent it... if even that.
November 15, 2017
a bit slow and wanky
November 8, 2017
such a nice movie and character have done justice to the roles