Shallow Hal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shallow Hal Reviews

½ August 20, 2017
The ugly and fat characters are not that ugly and fat but i like the premise of the movie and the chemistry between the couple.
June 11, 2017
I personally found this movie quite funny, I enjoyed watching Hal be so in love with a person others find unattractive and seeing the reaction by other people. I did also find that the film came with a nice message of not judging a person by who they look but by what's on the inside. Overall, I found this to be a good film which I will happily watch again :)
June 8, 2017
One of my favorite soundtracks . . . go figure :)
½ April 30, 2017
Shallow Hal is certainly romantic and has some heart thanks to the charming chemistry between Gwyneth Paltrow and Jack Black, but even though it brings the romance, it is not exactly a funny comedy as it does not offer much in the way of laughs.
½ April 18, 2017
I don't get the hatred toward this movie. I thought it was really funny.
March 31, 2017
I understand what they were going for but the message of the movie was off.
March 16, 2017
A Good Jack Black vehicle, and decently done, almost up there with School of Rock. Pretty well thought out for the most part - except that it leans on constant fat jokes as a theme, but does offer other hilarious and surprisingly poignant moments and is warmly heartfelt at times.
It ends on a few wrong notes which may explain the sour rating, but don't miss the 85 percent that is wildly fascinating, gut bustingly hilarious, and actually tries to muddle out a message about seeing others beyond their facades.
So many creative winks and nudges about being your authentic self and not being limited by your outer appearance.
Tony Robbins the motivational guru makes a high point cameo as himself casting out the assumed 'demon of shallowness' from Hal - a truly inspired hoot to see.
Lots of fun to be had here, so don't be dissuaded by the middling reviews and the dumb stuff at the end.
Honestly, many compare this to Something About Mary, but I do not agree - I didn't like that movie barrage of sex and genital jokes, and in contrast, I really enjoyed the almost revelatory reveals of authenticity here as we follow Hal and his gf thru this one.
A worthy effort.

3 flimsy broken chairs out of 5
½ February 27, 2017
This is where the Farrelly Bros started to become the M Night Shyamalan of comedy. I like Shallow Hal, but it's a far cry from Dumb & Dumber, Kingpin and Something About Mary. What works for me a lot more than the script is the performances. Jack Black, Gwyneth and Jason Alexander were hilarious, fun characters. The fat jokes do get overbearing, but overall this is better than 90% of the comedies that have come out in the past 10 years.
½ February 1, 2017
Good film. It's quite old now but I still like it. It's well done and there's a lot of heart to it
October 29, 2016
fun and entertaining. the location was beautiful. the story was entertaining
½ August 25, 2016
Somewhat overlong but still packed with some pretty funny scenes and some nice chemistry
July 22, 2016
Thanks to the performances of Black, Alexander and Paltrow, Shallow Hal is a sweet and warm-hearted comedy.
July 17, 2016
It gets points for being a unique treatment of the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" subject, but is not particularly engaging on the whole.
July 16, 2016
Absolutely loved it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this film is a beautiful rendition of that. A must watch classic.
June 17, 2016
Shallow Hal is Jack Black's worst movie yet. When I saw the trailer to this movie it looked good, but the movie was not. This movie either tries for a romantic movie or a comedy movie but doesn't win either of those. Although, this movie does have a good plot, but still doesn't get through to the audience. I would not suggest this movie.
½ April 17, 2016
Not great, but not bad
½ April 15, 2016
The good-natured humor and lesson behind "Shallow Hal" saves it from almost stretching its premise too thin.
March 27, 2016
Just one scene makes this movie away from a 1/2 and that's Jason Alexander tail. Look it up
February 23, 2016
Very funny, clever movie. Great acting.