Shallow Hal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shallow Hal Reviews

July 22, 2016
Thanks to the performances of Black, Alexander and Paltrow, Shallow Hal is a sweet and warm-hearted comedy.
July 17, 2016
It gets points for being a unique treatment of the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" subject, but is not particularly engaging on the whole.
July 16, 2016
Absolutely loved it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this film is a beautiful rendition of that. A must watch classic.
June 17, 2016
Shallow Hal is Jack Black's worst movie yet. When I saw the trailer to this movie it looked good, but the movie was not. This movie either tries for a romantic movie or a comedy movie but doesn't win either of those. Although, this movie does have a good plot, but still doesn't get through to the audience. I would not suggest this movie.
½ April 17, 2016
Not great, but not bad
½ April 15, 2016
The good-natured humor and lesson behind "Shallow Hal" saves it from almost stretching its premise too thin.
March 27, 2016
Just one scene makes this movie away from a 1/2 and that's Jason Alexander tail. Look it up
February 23, 2016
Very funny, clever movie. Great acting.
February 1, 2016
Not a fan of Jack Black but I did enjoy it and laughed a few times, More silly than funny.
January 27, 2016
Really distasteful movie. Funny, but in poor taste.
½ January 17, 2016
It is sweet and goodhearted, I will give it that, but in reality, thats all Shallow Hal really has going for it.
½ December 31, 2015
I need to just comment on the actress that played Rosemary, not only was she great at seeming self concious throughout the entire movie, but when she is seen as the "skinny" version of RoseMary, she still walks like shes bigger, which is an amazing add to the character
½ November 28, 2015
Everything about this was bad. It was charming though.
½ November 27, 2015
Unfunny & quite ugly. Hal is a super shallow guy who basically gets hypnotized to see people's inner beauty. He goes from picking on & laughing at women he finds repulsive to being attracted to them & viewing them as sexy and beautiful. The audience sees Paltrow one second as she is in real life (through the eyes of 'new' Hall), the next second as the overweight person she plays in the movie. It is, I guess, a message that we shouldn't judge people, but in trying to delivering that message, it actually feels like it's doing the opposite. It spares no length to make her excess weight the butt of every joke and both main male leads come off as cheesy hucksters. There is nobody or no thing worth rooting for here.
August 21, 2015
A rom-com that's there for laughs, but relies too heavily on stupid and irrelevant humor to pass off as a "smart." Giving credit for an original concept, and good performances from both main characters, yet this heavily romantic and stupid funny movie soon becomes tiresome.
August 17, 2015
This movie was funnier in college. Watching it again 14 years later, it still has a few laughs (and skinny Gwyneth still is on fire), but it's just not as funny. I'll say this is still one of the few movies where I can stomach Jack Black (as I normally hate that jackass) and I still wonder why Jason Alexander didn't make more movies. My guess it's because he wipes his ass with Seinfeld money.
½ August 3, 2015
It would of been better if there wasn't magic involved. As it stands this Romantic Comedy which aims for a clever look at our perception of beauty but the majority of the jokes rely on fat shaming and fat panic humor which I didn't know was a thing until I saw this film.
July 16, 2015
Funny, insightful and unabashedly sensitive, Shallow Hal finds Jack Black in top form and Gwyneth Paltrow delivering one of her most profoundly affecting supporting performances in this sweet romantic comedy about a shallow man who discovers the essential importance in falling in love with women for their emotional beauty rather than their physical attractiveness.
July 12, 2015
There are sweet moments in "Shallow Hal," and while there are a few laughs, there isn't a whole lot of redeeming qualities about the film as a whole.
½ June 24, 2015
I love the twist in perception. I love the idea of seeing someones inner beauty on the outside .