Shattered Glass - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shattered Glass Reviews

½ August 28, 2016
A perfectly-paced, masterfully acted and directed story that showcases the downfall of a once-"successful" reporter. The soundtrack notes sometimes don't complement the dynamics of the scene, but overall it suffices.
August 25, 2016
Shattered Glass, directed by Billy Ray, is based on the true story of Stephen Glass (played by Hayden Christensen), a writer for a journal who is finally caught falsifying information in his publications by a competitor and his own people.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Hayden Christensen? That HORRIBLE actor from the Star Wars prequels? No way I'll watch this garbage!" Hold on there, folks. I'm about to state the impossible: HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN IS GOOD IN THIS MOVIE. Strange, yes, but true. His honest portrayal of Glass is refreshing and heart-breaking. Peter Sarsgaard also delivers a strong performance as the editor of the journal Glass writes for. At first, it's easy to dislike Sarsgaard's character, but, as more information is discovered regarding Glass, he quickly becomes the "hero" of the story. The tension and discomfort between certain characters in this movie feels genuine; it was very well-edited and scored as well.

Personally, when it comes to a true story, I like to see more of the people outside their jobs. It just makes them easier to understand. Some characters came off as very one-dimensional and didn't add much to the film. It's a picky thing, I know, but it's worth mentioning.

Overall, if you enjoyed Spotlight or any other movie about writers and breaking big stories, you'll enjoy Shattered Glass. This diamond in the rough is worth digging up.

Final grade: B

March 3, 2016
One of the rare times Hayden Christensen is allowed to shine thanks to a clever script and captivating story.
February 1, 2016
A simple yet engrossing story and convincing acting performances make Shattered Glass a must-watch for fans of movies based on true events.
January 27, 2016
This is Hayden's best performance. He proved to me that he can indeed be a good actor under good enough direction. It is a truly interesting story! It is a great look into the mind of a sociopath. Everyone has good enough motivations and it makes sense why everyone does what they do! It is very suspenseful.
January 16, 2016
When our minds don't trust a system, when we are the only one to not be trusted, for we are the ones who abuse the system this whole time. Critical error in judgmental.
½ November 12, 2015
Unusual in that it is a very accurate representation of what really happened. Absorbing and the actors are so believable.
½ October 25, 2015
Good story. Decent acting.
½ August 24, 2015
Correcta, incluso para captar mi interés en una minuscula pantalla durante un largo vuelo a pesar del doblaje hispano neutro, pero definitivamente poco trascendente y fácil de olvidar.
May 26, 2015
Shattered Glass is an incredibly realistic and fair portrait of Stephen Glass with (hard to believe I'm saying this) a masterful performance from Hayden Christensen. It will probably prove to be boring for some, but for those interested in journalism, Shattered Glass is a must-see.
March 25, 2015
While educational on the demise of an infamous journalist, the film lacked emotional connection between the characters and the audience to make it a worthwhile watch. The interactions b/w Glass and his editor seemed so superficial and unbelievable even for a drama.
March 2, 2015
A surprisingly intimate account of Stephen Glass' fraudulent journalistic downfall while still being dramatically satisfying. The film has an amazing screenplay that boasts intriguing dialogue and a correct focus in order to avoid making the audience bored. Hayden Christensen gives an extremely good and overlooked performance that completely erases the horrendous work he did in the Star Wars prequels and shows his true ability as an actor. Peter Sarsgaard also does a great job by managing to deliver a controlled performance and carrying the movie along with Hayden Christensen. Shattered Glass is a very underrated movie that certainly deserved more attention.
½ March 1, 2015
If you hate Hayden Christensen, this movie will totally blow your mind. Seriously, he's great in this.
½ February 9, 2015
It's based on a true story of journalist Stephen Glass who was a young rising star at The New Republic over a three-year period and wrote entertaining and humorous articles with invented quotations, sources, and events.
Hayden plays Stephen very nicely with expression of outward fun and sensitivity as well as internal anxiety and weakness. Peter's performance as Stephen's silent boss is also great with honest expression of journalistic justice and royalty to The New Republic.
In a recent interview, Stephen himself told ' "The movie makes it seem like there was some joy in all of this for me. But it never felt fun. I was anxious and scared and depressed. Outwardly I was communicating fun, but inside all I felt was anxiety." It might be true but I don't want to relive the feeling of his exact psychological state at that time as I can imagine it is too horrible.
January 6, 2015
Well this ended up being pretty good. It started out weak, kinda dry a little dull but developed into an engrossing and surprisingly suspenseful story. Its based on a true story following Stephen Glass, a young reporter for the New Republic whose up and coming career in the 1990's came to a screeching halt when it was discovered that he had fabricated many of his stories.

Hayden Christensen plays Glass and I thought he did a great job; his character is annoying, whiny, simpering and constantly craving praise while preying on the good nature and sympathy of others. Not very likeable. When he gets caught out (by Steve Zahn & Rosario Dawson) watching him try to cover his tracks regarding fact checking, sources and phone #'s was fascinating, it kind of made me squirm.

Peter Sarsgaard plays his editor, put in a tough spot because he wants to believe him and knows a shit storm is coming if indeed Glass has fabricated his stories but eventually the chain of events can't be ignored. There are some weird moments when Glass is fantasizing events so its kind of confusing as to what's real, I guess this is to show how much Glass believed his own lies. And I surprised myself with how much sympathy I felt for him in the end, his character is heartbreaking, so messed up. 1/5/15
December 2, 2014
Hayden Christensen sure plays whiney well...
½ October 12, 2014
My long wait to see this film finally paid off. This is an excellent true story with great emotional impact. This is arguably Hayden Christensen's best performance. He really surprised me and he is simply brilliant in this. The rest of the cast was great as well. One of the better movies I have seen in awhile.
½ October 6, 2014
Story portrayed as interestingly as possible. Christensen well-cast as someone reprehensible.
August 19, 2014
It starts off incredibly dull, but gets a little more intriguing. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a thriller though. (First and only viewing - 8/19/2014)
August 4, 2014
this is quite the hidden gem - I've never seen a Hayden Christensen movie that hasn't resonated on some level with me. The man can act!