The Shipping News - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shipping News Reviews

November 12, 2017
Please remake this WITHOUT KEVIN SPACEY. It is such a great second chance story.
He ruined it. #1 no chemistry with Moore
#2 He is not the big man from the book( John C. Rielly is)
#3 Keven Spacey ruined the movie
½ April 3, 2017
O.K. Pleasant enough. Certainly not as bad as critics were making it out to be. Certainly better than book. Still don't see what anyone saw in the story. Just doesn't go anywhere.
February 21, 2017
Desolate forgiveness.
December 22, 2016
A mysterious and quirky story of a beaten man trying to heal. Incredible cast. The story flows from haunting and secretive to tender and revealing. A good add to a wintertime movie watchlist.
April 16, 2016
I have always been confused by some of the negative reviews of this film. Maybe if you'd read the book, the film could have disappointed. I have not read the book and this film is one of my all time favorites.
January 17, 2016
If a piece of knotted string can unleash the wind, a drowned man can awaken, then a broken man can heal. Headlines: A deadly storm takes a house, leaves excellent view. A provincial small town by the Newfoundland coast and the dark sordid past of pirate raids and incestuous scandals hanging over the Quale descendants gave us this oxymoronic dark yet quaint tale. What began and for most part, a pessimistic tale would end on a positive note of hope and new beginnings. A very impressive cast of excellent actors with Kevin Spacey, Judi Dench, Julianne Moore, Cate Blanchett and Scott Glen. Need I say more?
January 17, 2016
En provinsiell småby ved Newfoundland kysten og den mørke fortiden av pirater og incestuøse skandaler hengende over Quale etterkommere ga oss denne mørk men likevel sjarmerende fortelling. Det som begynte g for meste, vil en pessimistisk fortelling avslutte på en positiv tone av håp og ny begynnelse. Det er fremdeles så mye at Kevin skjønner ikke. Men, hvis et snøre med knuter kan slippe løs vinden, og hvis en druknet mann kan våkne, da tror Kevin at en ødelagt mann kan leges. Overskrift- Dødelig storm tar hus. Etterlater flott utsikt. Meget imponerende cast av gode skuespillere med Kevin Spacey, Judi Dench, Julianne Moore, Cate Blanchett og Scott Glen. Trenger jeg si mer?
January 16, 2016
Very Interesting. The main character is a very pathetic man with no backbone but over all an excellent story. Very unique and captivating.
½ January 16, 2016
more movies about/set in newfoundland!
November 26, 2015
Spacey perfects another "American Beauty" type character arc of a protagonist who, in desperation, radically alters his circumstance, eventually succeeding in finding a place and people with whom to thrive.
July 22, 2015
I agree with the "critics consensus" on Rotten Tomatoes. I would only add that it's not the best from any of the primary actors -- Blanchett excepted, who is a stand-out and steals every scene she is in. Also, Spacey's character is almost too dull to believe that he (spoiler alert) unexpectedly becomes a great writer. Could've been a great picture if handled a bit differently.
½ June 10, 2015
Great looking,finely acted dull tooth pull.
½ June 6, 2015
I just watched this movie and really liked it. Good clean movie, less than typical story.. Beautiful and mysterious scenery. A good watch that keeps your interest
½ February 16, 2015
well crafted rom-dram from the guy who did 'cinder house rules"
September 22, 2014
A delightful distraction.
September 17, 2014
I think a major issue is the casting. Judi Dench is perhaps the one exception. She fits perfectly into her role, much different from her usual roles. Cate Blanchett is great as she always is, but I think her talents would have been better suited in Julianne Moore's role. In fact, they should be switched. Kevin Spacey does what he can with Quoyle, but ultimately Quoyle's inner resilience didn't quite come out for me like it did in the book. In the end, reading the book is far more invigorating than watching the film, which is rather dry and never really effective.
½ August 14, 2014
Not a bulls eye pretty pretty good! Stuck to the book pretty well..very good soundtrack! Can't help but think this would have been the perfect book for the Coen Brothers to turn into a movie!
August 7, 2014
I watched this at home so many times, I can't count. The professional reviewers who wrote it off obviously missed the essence of it. Many layers here. Every time I watch it I glean something else from it. One of my favorites of all time.
½ July 19, 2014
There are very strong performances throughout this movie.
½ April 17, 2014
Pretty boring but, the performances were quite strong.