The Silence of the Lambs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Silence of the Lambs Reviews

½ April 14, 2017
Well done but perhaps forcibly psychological in places. Foster in a performance that defined her career.
½ April 14, 2017
Review (1~5)

#Content: Script 5 | Acting 5 | Cinematography 5 | Film Editing 5

#Visual: Costume Design 3 | Makeup & Hairstyling 4 | Scenic Design 5 | Lighting 5 | Visual Effects 3

#Sound: Score & Soundtracks 5 | Sound Editing & Mixing 5

#Overall (1~10): 9
April 13, 2017
Brilliant classic with top notch acting...
April 10, 2017
Liked this one a lot, very realistic acting and creepy and investing scene and moments.
½ April 4, 2017
When hearing about how terrifying Hannibal Lecter is, one would likely be confused after they look up reviews which explain why he works so well. It's really hard to do what Anthony Hopkins did in this film. While most other actors' performances would be likely dismissed as bland and boring, Hopkins nailed his performance so well that he rightfully earned his place amongst the very best movie villains ever put to screen.

A serial killer who goes by the name of "Buffalo Bill" kidnaps and kills women to skin them and make them into coats. An F.B.I. cadet named Clarice Starling has to confide in a cannibalistic serial killer locked up in prison to help her locate him before he kills someone who he recently captured, Catherine Martin.

When the viewer is first introduced to Dr. Hannibal Lecter, Starling is walking down an ominous hallway. She walks past other criminals locked up. The first few she walk by behave as you would expect. One is smiling and saying "Hi" to her, and the last one is jumping up at the prison bars. When she gets to the end of the hall, Dr. Hannibal Lecter is standing up and facing her with a blank expression on his face. He is still and motionless. He says "Good morning" to her calmly. He seems harmless. As Starling continues to talk to him, the viewer has a minor sense of relief for what the film could've thrown at us, but Hopkins' voice gives the viewer a feeling of deception which makes that sense of relief vanish. This is the first time we're introduced to him, and Lecter is able to unnerve the viewer so much by conveying so little. The great scripting and great acting made him quite a memorable character.

Seeing his calmer moments onscreen are very memorable. However, it leaves you wondering what he's capable of. Eventually, about 2/3 of the way into the film, the viewer gets to see Lecter pop in one of the most horrifying and memorable horror movie scenes of all time. The scene is so unexpected, and the sheer creativity of it is out-and-out disgusting to even think about. Watching the film a second time, it's frightening to find out what could've happened to Clarice Starling if their calm meetings had played out differently. However, it becomes very apparent that he wouldn't harm her as he grows to value her company. He never threatens her, and he always acts helpful and nice to her. Also, after he finds out how they both share similar childhood wounds, the viewer loses suspicion that he'll do something bad to her. Also, it took me a little while to pinpoint how that was a very effective piece of dialogue which got me to actualy identify with Hannibal Lecter.

It's a great accomplishment that the film gets us to like Hannibal Lecter. The reason is because he helps Starling locate Buffalo Bill which would also save Catherin Martin from him in the process, and he proves to be very helpful to her throughout the film. Also, the audience senses that he won't hurt her. On top of that, Hopkins performance brings wit and style to the character. The character of Dr. Hannibal Lecter succeeds on so many different levels.

There are several scenes from the film which work very well at terrifying the viewer. The scene when "Buffalo Bill" kidnaps Catherine Martin is a believable technique which seems like it would work in real life. It shows how after you get too close to "Buffalo Bill" for too long, you would reach a point of no return, and by the time you realize that something bad is going to happen, it would already be too late.

One of the most memorable kill scenes from horror movies happens near the final 1/3 of the film. I won't spoil it, but it works very well. Earlier in the film, it hinted that something was up after he stole a character's pen. Once you realize what's going to happen, you're left waiting for Lecter to pop as you've waited to see for a long time. The scene is very gory, and the aftermath of it is even more sickening. When you think that the scene's finally over, the film pulls the rug out from under you, and it shows you a creative, yet highly appalling image which likely won't leave your head anytime soon.

The scene at the end in Buffalo Bill's was an amazing idea for a climax. It is so suspenseful, and as soon as it starts, you have minimal hope that it will turn out good. Then, director Jonathan Demme adds in one final aspect into the movie to up the tension so high that it's one of the most suspenseful climax's ever for a film. He makes it seem clear that Starling won't go home unless she either gets a miracle or gets badly injured in the process. This scene is terrifying, because of the film's clever manipulation of the visuals and the fact that we've come to really like Starling, and we don't want anything to happen to her.

In conclusion, this is definitely a masterpiece, and it's one of the best horror films of all time. Anthony Hopkins' performance was perfect, and this movie should be looked at and studied off of for years to come. Other horror movie directors should study off of Dr. Hannibal Lecter and many actors should definitely try to do what he did. After the viewer witnesses all of the pros that this movie has to offer, it leaves you a brilliant closing scene which lets you go off on a high note. Anyways, I do wish that I could talk about this film longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner.
March 20, 2017
Anthonie Hopkins is absolutely wonderful as one of the films antagonists!
FiLmCrAzY
March 20, 2017
i really enjoyed the hannable lecter films and i loved this one i find them really good and entertaing i think there worth a watch for anyone who likes thrillers
March 20, 2017
Hopkins hams it up. I don't know why people don't see this. This isn't a classic and I fail to see why it's labelled so.
½ March 13, 2017
The best example of the hero forced to work with the villain plot (not to mention the best villain in all of cinema), this psychological thriller both entertains and horrifies. This film won all 5 major Oscars(1/3 to ever achieve this), and rightly so. Anthony Hopkins shines as a manipulating cannibal that will have you secretly rooting for him while making you fear for your safety. The scrip is tight and the directing and pacing is near Hitchcock level of suspense. Overall a movie that will stay with you forever, just watch it with the lights on.
½ March 7, 2017
Un personaggio estremamente complesso e disturbante č alla base di questo grande film, diretto e scritto alla perfezione. Il regista sfrutta inquadrature ben studiate per poter comunicare molto di pių di quello che solitamente si comunica attraverso i dialoghi, rendendo il film molto pių profondo ed interessante sotto ogni punti di vista.
February 28, 2017
The Silence of the Lambs haunts and unnerves as a thriller in ways most horror movies fail to do, thanks largely to the timelessly brilliant turn by Anthony Hopkins.
February 28, 2017
The only horror film to win Best Picture, "Silence of the Lambs" is gritty and features Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins at their very best.
February 23, 2017
Anthony Hopkins makes this movie and Jodie Foster's performance helps drive it. Demme directs with focus and finesse. Easily one of the best, if not the best, thrillers of all time.
February 23, 2017
The horror genre doesn't always get the recognition it deserves and it's rather rare to actually have a horror flick to win The Academy Award, but The Silence of the Lambs is just so good and so disturbing, that it would've been an outrage if it didn't win it. It's very well casted too, Anthony Hopkins does the best job into interpreting the crazy Hannibal Lecter. One of the best horror films ever made. Recommended !!
½ February 7, 2017
It had a really great story line, memorable scenes and a dark tone to it. Believe me it is hard not to be a movie critic and not get chills when you first meet Hannibal. I'd say the only thing I don't like about it is that there is a moth on the poster, movie case and everything else. But it only had little screen time and almost (ALMOST) no meaning in the story. Other than that, great movie and definitely worthy of Oscar Gold
February 7, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name by Thomas Harris. A young F.B.I. trainee (Foster) must interview an incarcerated and manipulative killer (Hopkins) to get help in catching another serial killer who skins his victims. A good solid thriller. Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins are outstanding.
January 29, 2017
One of my favorite movies. Ever. Don't judge.
January 23, 2017
Quintessential suspense filmmaking that represents the very best of cinematic communication.
January 20, 2017
Top 5 favorite movies will watch any time
January 13, 2017
This may be the only Movie that Based on Dialoge and you will be Love it.