The Silence of the Lambs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Silence of the Lambs Reviews

April 23, 2018
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Una obra maestra, envolvente historia, acertada dirección y brillantes actuaciones de Anthony Hopkins y Jodie Foster.
April 7, 2018
Very well done & excellent acting. Sooo scary
½ April 2, 2018
Brilliant. One of the classics that I genuinely enjoy, 'The Silence of the Lambs' is a clever, unexpectedly tense thriller that features an intriguing female badass (even if she does some stuff that's clearly plot-driven, like readily accepting Lecter's games). It's one of those films that you know doesn't pass the Bechdel test yet has a great female protagonist anyway. Smart, brave, competent - Starling is a badass who one-ups (almost) everyone else.

This isn't a typical horror movie but it manages to be very unsettling, from the body horror to the excellent culmination at the end (the final confrontation between Starling & Bill! Lecter finally being a cannibal!). The desparation in the situation, stemming from Starling's personal issues, Lecter's enigmatic insights and Starling's uncomfortable relationships with literally All The Men make for a film that never feels meandering.

I can't say I dwelled on the metaphors too much but I'm sure they'll only add to my appreciation. All in all, a worthwhile golden oldie. I have to wonder though, in the Hannibal series, where in the world did they get Graham?
March 23, 2018
Hopkins' performance is absolutely amazing and terrifying. The plot is understandable and creative.
March 17, 2018
This film turns the experience of being a woman into the premise of a horror film the way that "Get Out" does the same for the black experience. This film explores the way women are gazed upon, objectified and reduced to commodities with razor sharp precision. An absolute classic.
March 12, 2018
I hadn't seen this movie since the mid 1990's. I caught it on hbo last night. WOW! This really is an amazing movie with well deserved oscars for the 4 major categories along with best adapted screenplay. amazing film and one of the best films to come out of the 1990's!
March 8, 2018
The only horror film to win Best Picture, "Silence of the Lambs" is gritty and features Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins at their very best.
March 3, 2018
A young F.B.I. cadet named Clarice Starling, portrayed by the talented Jodie Foster must receive the help of an incarcerated and manipulative cannibal killer Dr. Hannibal Lecter portrayed by the also great Anthony Hopkins to help catch another serial killer, a madman who skins his victims by the name of Buffalo Bill. It is a very thrilling, gripping and breathtaking film that had me on the edge of my seat, fearing for Clarice. One of the three movies in history that got the BIG FIVE Academy Awards. Best PICTURE, Best DIRECTOR, Best SCREENPLAY, Best ACTOR and Best ACTRESS. A lot of philosophy, psychology, horror, action and logic that make this movie an awesome rarity. I guess I have to read that book as well.
½ February 24, 2018
Best Picture. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 22, 2018
1991 was a great year. The Silence Of The Lambs a fantastic taut thriller based on the writing of novelist Thomas Harris.
It stars a stellar cast with casting including Anthony Hopkins as serial killer Dr. Hannibal Lecter who ate his victims!
Jodie Foster plays FBI investigator Clarice Starling who attempts to gain some kind of trust from Lecter in order to solve the identity of another serial killer, this one on the loose titled 'Buffalo Bill. A nice character who skins his victims!
On first sight Hopkins has modelled his interpretation of Lecter on an earlier, also chilling one. Brian Cox who played the character five years or so previously in Manhunter.
Manhunter was a great film. The Silence Of The Lambs simply electric. The budget seems higher (even though it was slightly lower) and the cast both principal and supporting excellent.
Hopkins and Foster deliver some excellent verbal interchange including Hopkins as Lecter "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti".
The hunt for Buffalo Bill forms the main backbone of the screenplay but other strands develop.
One of the best thrillers I have seen. A View shared by the award committees it seems. The film won five major Oscars including Best Picture.
The script never descends to the slasher/Saw like excesses that can sometimes envelop other films of the genre. The characters are intellectual yet some are still psychotic!
The film deserves first, second and third viewings.
½ February 18, 2018
I Never Got Into This Movie Not Sure Why But It Just Did Nothing For Me I Prefered JFK And Boyz In The Hood
February 15, 2018
****
Where Michael Mann's 'Manhunter' got the mystery side of the plot just right, but failed to present us with interesting characters, Jonathan Demme's 'The Silence of the Lambs' finally gives us both. Whilst the procedural surrounding Buffalo Bill is very well handled and engaging throughout, it's the characters - namely Clarice (Foster) and Hannibal (Hopkins) - that make the movie so enthralling. Both of these characters are fascinating in their own ways, and Demme makes sure to flesh them out (*pun*) as much as possible whilst still maintaining a good focus on the story at hand. Talking of Demme, his handling of this movie was fantastic. Close-ups, in particular, were used to great effect, and the first meeting between Hopkins and Foster is up there with the best in terms of tension. There is a sense, some time during the second act, that the main plot is being side-lined - which is both good and bad, as the two leads relationship is undeniably the most interesting aspect, but it was noticeable and the pacing suffered slightly as a result. Nevertheless, the two central performances and the excellent script ensure that the movie is always engaging, and with Demme at the helm, 'The Silence of the Lambs' becomes more than your average serial killer mystery.
February 9, 2018
I loved this film. Now I have to watch Red Dragon sometime. A very disturbing psychological thirller that delves very deep into the mind of a crazed serial killer(s). The performances are great. Loved this movie.
½ February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 4
Age/Originality: 4
Total: 22/25
January 16, 2018
Stretching, scary, creepy, and very disturbing. Maybe those words can explain how frightening this movie is. Dr. Hannibal Lecter is a cannibal psychopath character that will keep you staring with his sharp eyes until we are disturbed. Stories that are increasingly improving the development of the story and making us to try to think how deep this story is made.
January 15, 2018
Masterful...Must watch in the horror genre!
½ January 13, 2018
A memorable and chilling thriller, made extremely well. The acting is superb. The one liners are so good they make the movie re-watchable.
January 10, 2018