The Silence of the Lambs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Silence of the Lambs Reviews

½ December 1, 2016
I always suspected that Silence of the Lambs might work well for me, because I do have a fondness for psychological thrillers. I was completely right. Everything about this film worked perfectly for me. The acting was superb. Jodie Foster, who I don't usually think of as a great actress, was spot-on as a new recruit in the FBI that is getting in over her head. Naturally, Anthony Hopkins is iconic as Hannibal, and introduces the character in a way that makes him oddly likable and frightening. But the surprise performance for me was Ted Levine. My only experience with him was as a police captain in the TV series Monk, and here he is playing a psycho killer? The fact that he pulled it off, and did it so well that I didn't even think about Leland Stottlemeyer is impressive. The plot of this movie is like a great murder mystery, and I was riveted from start to finish. There are certainly dark and disturbing images, but the film doesn't feel like a traditional "horror" which is why I enjoyed it more than that genre I usually despise. I can't pinpoint any glaring problems with The Silence of the Lambs, because it was near perfection for me. The music seemed appropriate and set a good tone, the cinematography was great, and the gory prop and makeup stuff that they included was convincing. This is one of those rare films that I wanted to watch again almost immediately upon finishing it. As soon as I see The Silence of the Lambs a few more times I bet it will race even further up my chart, because I loved it.
½ November 27, 2016
Thrilling, intensely written and terrificallly performed, the adaptation of Thomas Harris most popular book is a master piece in every way, not to mention Hopkins's most iconic performance.
½ November 11, 2016
Still remains one of my favourite, if not, my favourite film ever. It is, perhaps the benchmark to which all serial killer films are measured and Hopkin's unforgettable lines are revisited every time you hear the word liver fff fff fff fff... Whilst you can never quite re-capture the suspense that was created the very first time you watched the film, you may pick up on something different with every viewing. Hannibal crosses the line between profiler and offender which makes the fine line between crazy and genius.
November 6, 2016
One of the best movies of all time. Jodie foster and Anthony Hopkins are absolutely incredible.
Shane Sackman
½ October 24, 2016
A rare treat of a film. A horror/thriller with the dramatic and psychological gravitas to stand among the greatest films ever made. The film takes big risks and manages to succeed on almost every front.

A brilliant psychological film with simply superb performances. Hopkins nails the role of his lifetime. I have little doubt the film may have failed without his brilliant grasp and delivery on the character. Jodie Foster also does an impeccable job. She is an agent who gets little respect. Her angst, un-ease and the domineering way the men she interacts with treat her, adds a sense of dread and powerlessness that helps define the film. While Hopkins is a dominate force, it takes a very strong actor to be remembered in these scenes. Jodie Foster's timid, yet controlled and paradoxically brave, handling of her character was flawless at elevating the entire film. Buffalo Bill is also a solid creeper villain.

One of the weaker parts of the film is the sort of absurd mechanics of the Dr's final scenes and Starling and Bill's final showdown. It is all a bit unbelievable, but thankfully you are too engrossed to really think about it.

I think part of what makes the dread of the film so real is the relationship foil between Bill and Brooke Smith, as Catherine Martin, and Dr Lecter and Agent Starling. Buffalo Bill is crazy, barely controlled and despicable. He is free and preying on women. He has poor Ms Martin in a well tormenting her. Yet, we unmistakably feel that this caged man talking to Agent Starling is far more menacing, far more dangerous and terrifying. Agent Starling seems more at his mercy than Ms Martin is to Bill. This is truly the mark of profound evil. This masterful dynamic gives this film a lasting psychological power.

Hopkins menace is not steeped in gore or terror but rare, profound authority. We fear the power of villains because they wield weapons, supernatural might or brutality. The good Dr commands our fear through sheer psychological influence. We are never sure what turn he might take, what we are sure of is that it is calculated, cold and there is nothing you can do about it.
½ October 19, 2016
Excellent movie, you'll enjoy it for sure. Anthony Hopkins is awesome.
October 18, 2016
pretty good. great performance by anthony hopkins. lots of really dark and frightening scenes. (1 viewing)
October 11, 2016
I do think this movie is a tad overrated, but it's still very good. The acting is great, and all the scenes with Hannibal are near perfectly written. My biggest gripe is that the cinematography is a bit too function over form for my tastes. It does a lovely job of visual story telling/showing power dynamics, but doesn't frame things very interestingly from an aesthetic standpoint. I think back to The Shining and how it was able to accomplish both beauty, and story telling with it's camera work and just wish this movie was able to do that a little better. It's still good, but again, just a bit overrated for me.
October 9, 2016
The best thriller of all time.
October 6, 2016
Very great film u really have to sit back and watch it to enjoy it!!!
½ September 20, 2016
Scary, artistic, but a miss and forgettable to me, never to be my favorite.
Scary to audiences and critics, but never to me. I am not afraid of you, HORROR.
September 18, 2016
Without a doubt this movie is more of a Crime movie then a horror movie. At first I didn't understand the title but then everything made sense. Hannibal lector even though he was in jail most of the movie he's still creepy. Also I love the ending to this movie.
September 14, 2016
The high-end intellectual dialogue enthralls whilst Hopkins excites and repulses in equal measure. One of the best.
September 6, 2016
Anthonie Hopkins is absolutely wonderful as one of the films antagonists!
½ September 3, 2016
The movie was great and though some gore was in it, they kept the horror grounded in reality, which made the movie greater
September 2, 2016
Well written and well played. Perfect.
½ August 29, 2016
It has a well deserved reputation.
August 19, 2016
Loved it. The plot is so suspenseful you literally can't take your eyes away from the screen. Anthony Hopkins' performance is spectacular as Hannibal Lecter as he somehow manages to make a deranged sociopath likable.
August 12, 2016
Was not really creepy, in fact it had its funny moments, like the lotion scene. It was some good acting I tell you what.
August 8, 2016
"I'd Love to stay and chat, but I'm having an old friend for dinner..."

I think what I love most about Silence of the Lambs is it's filming craft. This movie truly heightens your sense to the maximum degree, you are completely and utterly aware of intentions and brooding desires from both Buffalo Bill and Hannibal, but does it completely succeed in feeding these desires? Not entirely, but in many respects it does. The film clearly has a certain essence of expression to it for it's first pointed to be generic yet surprisingly deep hill-billy antagonist. We can see an almost angering cycle of predator transforming into scavenger and a brief victory of innocence immediately terminated by the film's excellent conclusion which indicates a slightly ambiguous, although intentionally intriguing, return to norm. However, I believe Silence of the Lambs may be a little too intrigued with it's fascinating characters to give them any lore or necessary origin, something I was craving to see from Hannibal but oh my mouth was completely watering to see it from Buffalo Bill. This confused moth man, I was likewise confused whether to feel sympathy or not due to the fantastic Goodbye Horses sequence. Nonetheless, Silence of the lambs is a structural master-class and daringly explores decay in it's natural form although it's complete cocooning whittles away at some earth shattering, pivotal messages the film was aiming for.

B+