The Silence of the Lambs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Silence of the Lambs Reviews

January 14, 2017
Anthony Hopkins creates a villain that has arguably never been matched in Hannibal Lecter, but the film's story and tense atmosphere allow it to become timeless.
January 13, 2017
This may be the only Movie that Based on Dialoge and you will be Love it.
½ January 10, 2017
Very clever movie. Loved that a horror movie did not have to depend on jump scares to send chills down my back
½ January 7, 2017
Psychologically terrifying and thrilling all the way through. Very memorably performances all around and overall a great movie.
December 23, 2016
A masterful thriller with the most skillful use of close-up and POV I've seen. Jonathan Demme is a master.
December 23, 2016
This breathtaking psychological thriller and terrific character study should always be remembered for its iconic depiction of one of the most fascinating monsters ever created, Dr. Hannibal Lecter, and it deserved every award it won, although Ted Levine should have also been remembered for his fantastic performance.
December 17, 2016
We can relate to Jodie Foster throughout the entire film. Who would want to work with a cannibal killer? That thought itself is what makes the film stick out wonderfully from other horror thrillers throughout the years.
December 14, 2016
Silence of the Lambs is the iconic thriller we all know and love, with the famous Hannibal Lector performance by Anthony Hopkins, Silence of the Lambs is put on a pedestal that few mystery thrillers can achieve, it truly is the best of its kind
½ December 11, 2016
People kept telling me this was a great movie and they were right! Jody Foster is really good playing a young FBI agent trying to catch a serial killer with the help of another serial killer already in prison, Hannibal Lector. Lector is played brilliantly by Anthony Hopkins.
½ December 1, 2016
I always suspected that Silence of the Lambs might work well for me, because I do have a fondness for psychological thrillers. I was completely right. Everything about this film worked perfectly for me. The acting was superb. Jodie Foster, who I don't usually think of as a great actress, was spot-on as a new recruit in the FBI that is getting in over her head. Naturally, Anthony Hopkins is iconic as Hannibal, and introduces the character in a way that makes him oddly likable and frightening. But the surprise performance for me was Ted Levine. My only experience with him was as a police captain in the TV series Monk, and here he is playing a psycho killer? The fact that he pulled it off, and did it so well that I didn't even think about Leland Stottlemeyer is impressive. The plot of this movie is like a great murder mystery, and I was riveted from start to finish. There are certainly dark and disturbing images, but the film doesn't feel like a traditional "horror" which is why I enjoyed it more than that genre I usually despise. I can't pinpoint any glaring problems with The Silence of the Lambs, because it was near perfection for me. The music seemed appropriate and set a good tone, the cinematography was great, and the gory prop and makeup stuff that they included was convincing. This is one of those rare films that I wanted to watch again almost immediately upon finishing it. As soon as I see The Silence of the Lambs a few more times I bet it will race even further up my chart, because I loved it.
½ November 27, 2016
Thrilling, intensely written and terrificallly performed, the adaptation of Thomas Harris most popular book is a master piece in every way, not to mention Hopkins's most iconic performance.
½ November 11, 2016
Still remains one of my favourite, if not, my favourite film ever. It is, perhaps the benchmark to which all serial killer films are measured and Hopkin's unforgettable lines are revisited every time you hear the word liver fff fff fff fff... Whilst you can never quite re-capture the suspense that was created the very first time you watched the film, you may pick up on something different with every viewing. Hannibal crosses the line between profiler and offender which makes the fine line between crazy and genius.
November 6, 2016
One of the best movies of all time. Jodie foster and Anthony Hopkins are absolutely incredible.
Shane Sackman
½ October 24, 2016
A rare treat of a film. A horror/thriller with the dramatic and psychological gravitas to stand among the greatest films ever made. The film takes big risks and manages to succeed on almost every front.

A brilliant psychological film with simply superb performances. Hopkins nails the role of his lifetime. I have little doubt the film may have failed without his brilliant grasp and delivery on the character. Jodie Foster also does an impeccable job. She is an agent who gets little respect. Her angst, un-ease and the domineering way the men she interacts with treat her, adds a sense of dread and powerlessness that helps define the film. While Hopkins is a dominate force, it takes a very strong actor to be remembered in these scenes. Jodie Foster's timid, yet controlled and paradoxically brave, handling of her character was flawless at elevating the entire film. Buffalo Bill is also a solid creeper villain.

One of the weaker parts of the film is the sort of absurd mechanics of the Dr's final scenes and Starling and Bill's final showdown. It is all a bit unbelievable, but thankfully you are too engrossed to really think about it.

I think part of what makes the dread of the film so real is the relationship foil between Bill and Brooke Smith, as Catherine Martin, and Dr Lecter and Agent Starling. Buffalo Bill is crazy, barely controlled and despicable. He is free and preying on women. He has poor Ms Martin in a well tormenting her. Yet, we unmistakably feel that this caged man talking to Agent Starling is far more menacing, far more dangerous and terrifying. Agent Starling seems more at his mercy than Ms Martin is to Bill. This is truly the mark of profound evil. This masterful dynamic gives this film a lasting psychological power.

Hopkins menace is not steeped in gore or terror but rare, profound authority. We fear the power of villains because they wield weapons, supernatural might or brutality. The good Dr commands our fear through sheer psychological influence. We are never sure what turn he might take, what we are sure of is that it is calculated, cold and there is nothing you can do about it.
½ October 19, 2016
Excellent movie, you'll enjoy it for sure. Anthony Hopkins is awesome.
October 18, 2016
pretty good. great performance by anthony hopkins. lots of really dark and frightening scenes. (1 viewing)
October 11, 2016
I do think this movie is a tad overrated, but it's still very good. The acting is great, and all the scenes with Hannibal are near perfectly written. My biggest gripe is that the cinematography is a bit too function over form for my tastes. It does a lovely job of visual story telling/showing power dynamics, but doesn't frame things very interestingly from an aesthetic standpoint. I think back to The Shining and how it was able to accomplish both beauty, and story telling with it's camera work and just wish this movie was able to do that a little better. It's still good, but again, just a bit overrated for me.
October 9, 2016
The best thriller of all time.
October 6, 2016
Very great film u really have to sit back and watch it to enjoy it!!!
½ September 20, 2016
Scary, artistic, but a miss and forgettable to me, never to be my favorite.
Scary to audiences and critics, but never to me. I am not afraid of you, HORROR.