The Silence of the Lambs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Silence of the Lambs Reviews

January 16, 2018
Stretching, scary, creepy, and very disturbing. Maybe those words can explain how frightening this movie is. Dr. Hannibal Lecter is a cannibal psychopath character that will keep you staring with his sharp eyes until we are disturbed. Stories that are increasingly improving the development of the story and making us to try to think how deep this story is made.
January 15, 2018
Masterful...Must watch in the horror genre!
½ January 13, 2018
A memorable and chilling thriller, made extremely well. The acting is superb. The one liners are so good they make the movie re-watchable.
January 10, 2018
Amazing movie, 10/10 would recomend
January 8, 2018
Clearly a very interesting movie with good characters and great actors, I think its lack of subtlety makes it seem now more like a television show than a movie.
January 5, 2018
A psychological thriller that's still worth a viewing in 2017. The pace is a little slow in places by modern standards, but the performances are solid and the story keeps you engaged. Oddly, I wasn't as impressed with Foster's performance in this as some viewers were. It was good, but not great. I did occasionally lose the illusion and remember "Oh yeah, it's Jodie." Hopkins, however, is a wonder to watch as Hannibal.
December 31, 2017
Sleek thriller. It didn't feel like the best thriller in the world, but put together rather well thanks to it's grisly dialogue and unique psychopathic elements. This is indeed a gripping enough film.
December 25, 2017
The Silence of the Lambs is a great movie with great performances from Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins. I didn't love this movie as much as I wanted to but no denying, this is a great flick movie fans must see at least once in their lives. That being said, still prefer Mads Mikkelsen's Lecter to Hopkin's Lecter.
½ November 16, 2017
A haunting, interesting, and original piece of work that is one of the best mysteries I've ever seen.

In this multiple Oscar-winning thriller, Jodie Foster stars as Clarice Starling, a top student at the FBI's training academy whose shrewd analyses of serial killers lands her a special assignment: the FBI is investigating a vicious murderer nicknamed Buffalo Bill, who kills young women and then removes the skin from their bodies. Jack Crawford (Scott Glenn) wants Clarice to interview Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins), a brilliant psychiatrist who is also a violent psychopath, serving life behind bars for various acts of murder and cannibalism. Crawford believes that Lecter may have insight into this case and that Starling, as an attractive young woman, may be just the bait to draw him out.

So as I try and watch old classics for the first time, I knew that "Silence of the Lambs" was one of those films that I knew I had to watch. We had talked about it and watched a couple of clips in my screenwriting class so I was excited to watch it. I rented it from our school library, sat down, and then fell asleep...however, I watched it fully the next morning and it was a masterpiece. Just to be clear, I fell asleep because it was 3 AM and I was tired, not because it was bad. Anyways, not only was I thoroughly satisfied, but it's definitely one of the best suspense / horror films I've ever seen.

Let's start out with the story. Although the FBI are trying to solve the case of Buffalo Bill, this really is a story about Hannibal Lecter and his relationship with Clarice. A lot of this film is driven with dialogue, very intelligent dialogue might I add. It's a really interesting story and it's approached in a bit of a unique way. Our real main antagonist is locked behind bars for the majority of the film and yet it still captures my attention so well. It never loses its focus and it knows exactly what it wants to be.

The acting was also a really strong point in this film. Normally when I've revisited older films, I haven't liked the acting, as it was a lot different with older films than it is today. However, I thought a lot of the performances were particularly strong, especially Anthony Hopkins as Lecter. He was phenomenal in this film and he definitely left his mark as the character. Even though he stole the show, Jodie Foster was fantastic as the lead protagonist. If anything, all the main performances in this film were perfect for who the characters were and I couldn't have seen anyone else in these roles.

Even today, this film definitely holds up. A lot of events and twists came as a surprise to me and that made me really happy. I'm not one to try and guess the ending, as it just ruins the experience. But if a movie is so blatantly generic, then I'll guess and they've failed. To my joy, this film was so original and it was exactly what a mystery should be. You knew the intentions of all the characters but you could never guess exactly what would happen. I think the best part of this film is that its story still lasts, even throughout the decades. I praise it for that and I can't wait to watch this film for years to come.

In the end, I don't know why I waited so long to see this film, but I absolutely enjoyed it. I recommend this to any horror, mystery, or thriller fans, or movie films in general. This will definitely be a classic for even more years.
½ October 23, 2017
The Silence Of The Lambs: One of the most powerful horror movies ever made. The Silence of the Lambs boasts strong storytelling, an eerily terrorfying atmosphere and strong acting, assuring its place amongest the best of horror movies.
October 19, 2017
Gotta review this before my friend comes for dinner....
½ October 16, 2017
Just a classic early 90s movie that you can't go wrong with. A thriller at its finest.
October 14, 2017
They don't make films like this anymore, which is probably a good thing since they would make this classic obsolete. Hopkins and Foster carry this twisted tale that drops you into the demonic minds of a psychopath.
October 8, 2017
this just keeps getting better with age. they should have a 6 star rating on here for movies this good....
October 8, 2017
This demented, creepy, and atmospheric thriller still sends chills up and down my spine,
½ October 7, 2017
Great for it's time and still damn good.
½ September 28, 2017
Trash.

Yes. Trash. Exactly. It's not even a good or compelling piece of fantasy. It's sorry trash which happens to take itself so fucking seriously that millions of silly people have been conned into thinking it's good. It is not good. It is bloody awful.
September 15, 2017
BEST psychological thriller of all time!! This film chose the genre of psychological thrillers to be my favorite! Such a classic!! I recommend reading the book as well. It explains details that were not explained in the movie.
September 15, 2017
Fucking masterpiece.
½ September 10, 2017
Very interesting thriller, did jump from scene to scene with slight confusion for a viewer, but very interesting, dramatic and smart all in one.