Silent Hill: Revelation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silent Hill: Revelation Reviews

September 10, 2017
This doesn't deserve even one star. Being a huge fan of the games and so much hype for this probably the worst movie I've ever seen in theaters, this movie is so disappointing.
½ September 3, 2017
Absolutely awful with nothing good about it especially the awful acting, one of the worst films ever made
½ August 28, 2017
Absolutely dreadful. Having a semi-decent predecessor and a spectacular video game basis to work with, it's amazing how poorly done this film is.
April 12, 2017
its okey for a watch but if you played the game you would hate it
February 17, 2017
Nonsensical, boring drivel.
½ January 5, 2017
SH:R succeeds in carrying over some of the best elements of the first film - such as the scary nurses, special effects, and gore -, but without added improvements of its own, this sequel holds but a fraction of the first movie's quality.
½ November 24, 2016
"Come To Silent Hill" = no thank you
October 29, 2016
Certainly much better than the first one. At first in the beginning I thought they lost the connection to the ending of the first one but later on they showed and explained what happen since the first one.
October 12, 2016
Definitely want to take a look at another silent hill movie. Hopefully they come up with a crazy story line for this one.
September 25, 2016
This went down from the 8% it had the last time I checked on it. I'm giving it a half a star for many reasons.

Where as the first movie was a decent watch for fans of the game this movie spits in the face of the fans. It was pretty bad, even as a stand alone product.

So what did I like? I gave it a one star rating instead of a half star rating after all.

I liked the scene where Heather and Allessa face off. Even though Heather kills her by hugging and that was supposed to represent Heather facing her self hatred and effectively coming to terms with herself as a person, seeing that she wasn't a terrible person even though she had abused drugs and not been the best daughter all the time. And it's one of the only films where in Sean Bean's character doesn't die. i mean he's not technically Harry, just a guy who took Harry's name. It's not like Harry dies in the game.

The first major problem is of course, as many other people have brought up in their own reviews of this (Jordan Underneath probably has my favorite review of this movie), the poptart jumpscare. There's a scene that tries to use fast movement to hide a terribly created monster and then there's pop tarts. This is horror now, animatronics and pop tarts. I guess it is kind of scary how bad the things are for you.

After that there's a lot of terrible attempts to make the audience uncomfortable, which is the point of horror, but the fact of the matter is that the game does it much better with no jumpscares. Like the last movie this one does suffer from not using the atmosphere set up in the games as a means to make the film scary, it's very sad that we never see films that do this anymore. In fact I'm praising Shyamalan because at least he set up some sort of atmosphere in both the Village and the Visit.

And with this there was decent casting with Game of Thrones actors Sean Bean and Kit Harrington and Clockwork Orange actor Malcolm McDowell as characters in this, though the latter was only in the film for around 5 or 6 minutes. Even so the acting from these three was decent at best and bad at worst. And Kit Harrington is probably the worst here, which is sad because he's really amazing as Jon Snow in "A Game of Thrones". But in this movie he really does sound like a British person (which he is) trying to put on an American accent. Even with the other actors, especially Heather's actress, they all did pretty bad.

Now about the adaptation. Well it's pretty terrible as an adaptation as well. I could bring up the ages of the characters in the games with Vincent being the oldest but still with no blood relation to Claudia, And Claudia being the same age as Heather, but still eyebrow-less. The biggest insult to the fans though is including Pyramid Head as the protector of Allessa, who is Heather. He goes from being the Executioner in Silent Hill 2, to being the protector in Revelations. He shows up to fight Claudia after her transformation (she turns into a medium level enemy called a missionary in this movie, in the game she gives birth to God after some messed up shit happens but still, God is a much better final boss than the Missionary, whom is also the first boss of the game). And then you have this anti-climatic ending where Heather and Vincent get into a truck with Travis Grady from Origins, hinting that that might be the next sequel. I mean thank god that's not happening.

All in all this movie was bad in a lot of ways and it wasn't even so bad it was good, i'd suggest giving this movie a pass even if you are curious because it has nothing to offer for anyone. It's worse than Uwe Bolls films, at least I can get a laugh out of those ones.
September 17, 2016
This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I'm a huge fan of the games, and I was big fan of the first movie but this movie is just garbage. It's as if the director and screenwriter didn't understand the source material(same can be said about Paul W.S. Anderson) and just shat out a cheap lazy movie that fails on just about every level.
August 28, 2016
Silent Hill: Revelation shows there's a thin line between creepy and crappy.
July 30, 2016
The video game was much better than this movie adaptation. The acting was bad, with the exception of Adelaide as Heather. The story was over-the-top ridiculous. It had potential, but fell flat.
May 20, 2016
Pretty sure the movie makers have never played the game, but the graphics were pretty cool regardless
May 15, 2016
I can now see what happens when your movie fails to meet the standards of video game movies, which is already a low bar. Silent Hill Revelation is dangerously close to the quality of an Uwe Boll video game movie. With needless 3D effects that do improve upon the tacky effects and a plot that would only make sense if you played Silent hill 3. This failure shows why this game to movie trend is a bad idea
May 7, 2016
Fuck You Movie! I can't stand anything like this piece of boring shit!
½ April 30, 2016
Más aburrida que la primera y lástima que tenía buen material...
½ April 23, 2016
Ladies and Gentleman- welcome to the bottom of the barrel. This is probably comparable to actual torture. This is the pinnacle when it comes to lazy modern horror films (of which there seems to be an endless stream of).

Somehow, it doesn't even manage to capitalise on its video-game material, which is shocking given how truly dark and upsetting some of it can be. Here, it's all just crap- everything. There is nothing redeemable about this film. I could have written a better one than this- I don't know who you are, dear reader, but you could have wrfitten a better one too. Heck, THE WRITER of this film could have written a better film. It's lazy and a grave insult to the intelligence and time of its viewers.

I can say with 100% honesty that I'd rather watch a live feed from a real slaughterhouse than sit through this heap of dung again.
½ March 31, 2016
Never gets going and doesn't seem to know what it's direction is or what tp do with its characters who are frequently given 2 minutes then killed off without any point. How is it that what could be a seriously scary movie can get it so very wrong? The acting isn't bad but nothing is explained with any decent reasoning, it meanders from short scene to scene without any purpose and then almost seems to lose its own way out of the dead end it's created.
Very poor horror from a team who clearly have no comprehension of what a horror movie is supposed to be. Don't bother with this one. Not worth wasting time on.
½ March 29, 2016
Silent HIll Revelation is a mixed bag, that left me personally satisfied. It stays true enough to the source material to be a fan hit, but deviates where needed. Where it fails was maintaining the strong atmosphere famous from its predecessor, and its first half. It starts out strong, but unfortunately loses its momentum. The most fun was catching all the nostalgia of the games come alive, including a few Easter eggs from other entries in the series. Overall, a fun ride for series fans, but a definitely mess for non fans.