Silent Hill: Revelation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Silent Hill: Revelation Reviews

April 21, 2018
The Nurse scene was brilliant. And that's the only positive thing that can be said about this abomination of a film. Whatever the first movie managed to accomplish in terms of video-game adaptation, is utterly lost in this filmic atrocity.
½ April 15, 2018
This film is by far one of the worst video game adaptation ever. The first film was made by a director with passion and love for the series. Clearly, this film didn't share that same passion.

The eery tone that haunted the first film is completely absent here in this loose attempt to adapt the 3rd game in the series. This film is almost the complete opposite of the first. The characters are all wrong, boring and horribly acted. The creatures are poorly designed and lack the depth they had in their representations. The scares are WAY too in your face and has an overabundance of stupid jump scares. Quick note, Pop Tarts aren't scary but this film thinks they can be. And of course, the horrid "3D" in the title means there are moments in this film where they try way too hard shove the 3D effects in your face. Something I've not seen so badly forced into a film since Spy Kids 3D. Like they were trying to compensate being terrible film makers with an overused gimmick.

Like me, just pretend this film doesn't exist and go watch the first film. Or better yet, play the games.
February 26, 2018
I believe people who have played Silent Hill 3 over and over will appreciate this movie. And also understand this movie had a limited budget.
½ December 8, 2017
terrible. not scary. not well made. bad acting and dialogue. pretty useless overall (1 viewing)
November 6, 2017
Spoooky. Liked a lot :)
½ November 6, 2017
Bad movie, do not convert a video game into a movie not the same effect.
½ October 21, 2017
Boring, boring, and more boring. This sequel offers nothing new, and is just a rushed version of the original. The monsters were terrible, and didn't even feel threatening. The plot was all over the place, and the villain looked like a rejected Cenobite from Hellraiser. The only positive I could give is that the circus-bunny thing was cool but, could've been taken farther. Also the effects were pretty good, and so was the acting. I don't recomend this movie but, if you just have to see a copy of the original silent hill then watch this one.
September 10, 2017
This doesn't deserve even one star. Being a huge fan of the games and so much hype for this probably the worst movie I've ever seen in theaters, this movie is so disappointing.
½ September 3, 2017
Absolutely awful with nothing good about it especially the awful acting, one of the worst films ever made
½ August 28, 2017
Absolutely dreadful. Having a semi-decent predecessor and a spectacular video game basis to work with, it's amazing how poorly done this film is.
April 12, 2017
its okey for a watch but if you played the game you would hate it
February 17, 2017
Nonsensical, boring drivel.
½ January 5, 2017
SH:R succeeds in carrying over some of the best elements of the first film - such as the scary nurses, special effects, and gore -, but without added improvements of its own, this sequel holds but a fraction of the first movie's quality.
½ November 24, 2016
"Come To Silent Hill" = no thank you
October 29, 2016
Certainly much better than the first one. At first in the beginning I thought they lost the connection to the ending of the first one but later on they showed and explained what happen since the first one.
October 12, 2016
Definitely want to take a look at another silent hill movie. Hopefully they come up with a crazy story line for this one.
September 25, 2016
This went down from the 8% it had the last time I checked on it. I'm giving it a half a star for many reasons.

Where as the first movie was a decent watch for fans of the game this movie spits in the face of the fans. It was pretty bad, even as a stand alone product.

So what did I like? I gave it a one star rating instead of a half star rating after all.

I liked the scene where Heather and Allessa face off. Even though Heather kills her by hugging and that was supposed to represent Heather facing her self hatred and effectively coming to terms with herself as a person, seeing that she wasn't a terrible person even though she had abused drugs and not been the best daughter all the time. And it's one of the only films where in Sean Bean's character doesn't die. i mean he's not technically Harry, just a guy who took Harry's name. It's not like Harry dies in the game.

The first major problem is of course, as many other people have brought up in their own reviews of this (Jordan Underneath probably has my favorite review of this movie), the poptart jumpscare. There's a scene that tries to use fast movement to hide a terribly created monster and then there's pop tarts. This is horror now, animatronics and pop tarts. I guess it is kind of scary how bad the things are for you.

After that there's a lot of terrible attempts to make the audience uncomfortable, which is the point of horror, but the fact of the matter is that the game does it much better with no jumpscares. Like the last movie this one does suffer from not using the atmosphere set up in the games as a means to make the film scary, it's very sad that we never see films that do this anymore. In fact I'm praising Shyamalan because at least he set up some sort of atmosphere in both the Village and the Visit.

And with this there was decent casting with Game of Thrones actors Sean Bean and Kit Harrington and Clockwork Orange actor Malcolm McDowell as characters in this, though the latter was only in the film for around 5 or 6 minutes. Even so the acting from these three was decent at best and bad at worst. And Kit Harrington is probably the worst here, which is sad because he's really amazing as Jon Snow in "A Game of Thrones". But in this movie he really does sound like a British person (which he is) trying to put on an American accent. Even with the other actors, especially Heather's actress, they all did pretty bad.

Now about the adaptation. Well it's pretty terrible as an adaptation as well. I could bring up the ages of the characters in the games with Vincent being the oldest but still with no blood relation to Claudia, And Claudia being the same age as Heather, but still eyebrow-less. The biggest insult to the fans though is including Pyramid Head as the protector of Allessa, who is Heather. He goes from being the Executioner in Silent Hill 2, to being the protector in Revelations. He shows up to fight Claudia after her transformation (she turns into a medium level enemy called a missionary in this movie, in the game she gives birth to God after some messed up shit happens but still, God is a much better final boss than the Missionary, whom is also the first boss of the game). And then you have this anti-climatic ending where Heather and Vincent get into a truck with Travis Grady from Origins, hinting that that might be the next sequel. I mean thank god that's not happening.

All in all this movie was bad in a lot of ways and it wasn't even so bad it was good, i'd suggest giving this movie a pass even if you are curious because it has nothing to offer for anyone. It's worse than Uwe Bolls films, at least I can get a laugh out of those ones.
September 17, 2016
This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I'm a huge fan of the games, and I was big fan of the first movie but this movie is just garbage. It's as if the director and screenwriter didn't understand the source material(same can be said about Paul W.S. Anderson) and just shat out a cheap lazy movie that fails on just about every level.
August 28, 2016
Silent Hill: Revelation shows there's a thin line between creepy and crappy.
July 30, 2016
The video game was much better than this movie adaptation. The acting was bad, with the exception of Adelaide as Heather. The story was over-the-top ridiculous. It had potential, but fell flat.