A Simple Plan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Simple Plan Reviews

November 19, 2016
Sam Raimi is a man that stays busy in one way or another. Wither he's directing horror films or films with suspense, acting in films or even producing projects Raimi is always seemingly enjoying himself and making killer projects. One of these killer projects was 1998's A Simple Plan. The film lives up to part of its title it's a simple premise but it's a deep study into people's psyche when faced with the kind of situation that the men in this film are faced with. Using that personal horror like touch he has Raimi creates a one hell of a crime thriller that stood out in an impressive year in cinema.
2 brothers Hank and Jacob along with their buddy lou discover in the woods a boat load of cash left in a broken down airplane. One would think they would go on to live good with the amount of cash they have but they soon find out its marked, doesn't belong to them and that law enforcement is on the hunt for it. Hank the smart one of the group is paranoid but tries to stay ahead of the danger that lies Jacob a socially awkward man provides some complications in this matter and lou is a bit distrustful. All of this causes massive hysteria and problems for everyone involved.
With this film sam raimi takes an interesting direction with telling the story. he sets up everything and directs all the aspects in a way where we are almost watching a horror/thriller but in actuality it's a crime drama. The tension, camera shots and imagery are all used in horror like fashion so its really fascinating to see where he takes the film as you watch it. its overall brilliant. My guess is that raimi wanted to tell this story in a way where one can imagine how scary it is to keep a secret like this one when there are serious consequences that can happen if it is revealed. And also probably to show what money can sometimes do to people. the music adds to the direction and story so well. it makes everything very tense and suspenseful. Fantastic work from Danny Elfman.
billy bob thornton once again tackles a socially challenged character with pure excellence. he reminds me a bit of Jennifer lawrence's Roslyn irvingfield a character whom could potentionally ruin the whole plan that is taking place. bill Paxton was great. He is both the smartest guy in the film but also the most paranoid. he takes you on a real roller coaster ride emotionally with Hank. Even bridget fonda did a nice job here an improvement from her Jackie brown role from the year before.
The writing is so rich and well adapted. fantastically structured plot that was so straight forward. decent cinematography as well from this film.
2 thumbs up from me! I enjoyed this thoroughly and you will too
½ October 23, 2016
Moving past the campiness of his previous cult classics, Sam Raimi directs this crime thriller resembling "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" set in the snow.
Horror Movie Project
½ September 16, 2016
Such a suspenseful film. A basic dynamic that is executed flawlessly. Top notch acting and writing.
August 24, 2016
"Money can change anyone" is explored in this tense and well acted thriller.
August 15, 2016
The behaviour of the main protagonists was so foolish that I could only wish for their inevitable downfall. Unable in any way to identify with them, I lost interest in the film.
June 14, 2016
A really good film I could follow and understand without too much difficult.
½ May 30, 2016
The movie is nearly as good as the book, and the book is one of my all time favourites. Just a great thriller from start to finish.
½ May 14, 2016
Re-watching this film, it struck me that this film was kind of Sam Raimi's best approximation of a film by his good friends The Coen Brothers, doing an off-beat snowbound crime story, and it actually works very well. Maybe that's an unneeded comparison, but since I knew they were friends and collaborators, that's what came to mind Anyone, without the "Fargo" comparisons, this film is a smart moralistic crime story. Bill Paxton, his oddball brother Billy Bob Thornton, and their no-good friend Brent Briscoe stumble across a crashed plane with a bag full of money. The three scheme to keep the money but as with most crime pictures, their agreement and alliances begin to quickly unravel. This film however is more than a straight crime picture. The script by Scott B. Smith, based upon his novel, has a real moral center to it and both Paxton and Thornton give two very strong performances, arguably one of the best of their careers. When Thornton asks his brother, "Hank, do you ever feel evil? I do." it's a heartbreaking moment. Bridget Fonda plays Paxton's wife who has a rather scary arc in the film (SPOILER ALERT) going from wanting to turn in the money to screaming and fighting Paxton when he in the end (BIG SPOILER ALERT) burns the money after finding out that it's all marked. Fonda was never Meryl Steep (though who is?), but I always liked her and wish she was still acting. Top all this off with one of Danny Elfman's most subtle and nuanced scores and you get what I consider a real underrated classic.
May 13, 2016
A Simple Plan was recommended to me on Reddit during a Bill Paxton appreciation thread. Several people were discussing it and apparently it had extremely high ratings from both critics and the general public yet I hadn't even heard of it. Now that I've seen it, I can say the movie was pretty good albeit very strange.

A Simple Plan was not strange due to the type of film but the choices that we're made in the story. Bill Paxton's character is going to be pretty easy to figure out. He's easily relatable and the choices he makes were often times the same that I would have chosen. That's not to say they were right but in certain situations you've gotta do what you've gotta do. The same goes for Billy Bob Thornton's character. I was completely wrong about what kind of person he would turn out to be. His character was probably the most interesting among a cast of outlandish individuals. There was one particular person in this film that will go unnamed in this review as it would spoil the surprise but wow.. did they ever become something else. If you're not paying attention you could easily miss who is truly good, and who you should watch out for.

This film was entirely about suspicion, deceit, morality and audience participation. By that I mean this film is not one that you passively watch and then forget about. You will choose along with the characters what is right and what is wrong and it may inspire debate if you're watching it with other people. I loved that about this movie as it shows how strong the writing and performances were. That's not to say the story was perfect however. There were several points in the film where the story was progressed through pure stupidity. There were several shortcuts taken in the form of obvious bad decision making and it really showed at points. Those were the only moments where I wasn't enjoying the film. For the rest of it, once you get past the odd opening and you embrace the late 90's Lifetime movie vibe, you'll likely have a very good time with this film. A Simple Plan is not the masterpiece that Reddit thread suggested it would be, but it is still an excellent drama with plenty of genuine thrills along the way.
½ May 10, 2016
Trying to be Fargo, it contains all of the snow, darkness, and violence with none of the charm or humor.Leads are absolute opposites with a strong, understated performance from Thorton and a loud wooden one from Paxton.
½ April 24, 2016
Felt like a Coen brothers movie minus the quirkiness. The gradual change of attitude and thinking of characters may happen similarly in real life, but feels forced in the movie. But it was fun to watch nevertheless.

Reviewed 2010
April 22, 2016
Powerfully acted and emotionally resonant, "A Simple Plan" is a prime example of sincere, straight forward drama.
½ April 4, 2016
Massively overrated. And has a bunch of plotholes and dumb logic on the part of the characters that really hurt the film.
April 3, 2016
A physically and emotionally engaging crime drama that delivers on suspense, thrills, and poignancy. Sam Raimi's best film.
½ March 21, 2016
A meticulously crafted and tear-jerking thriller that uses the most of its talented cast.
March 16, 2016
Seen the 4th time now i think ...been a while , so this movie was as good as i remembered it ! Simple Story , Simple Plan ...but it got complicated more then the Brothers want...SOMDVD
January 12, 2016
One of My favorite films....Truly an amazing story with performance from Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton!
December 19, 2015
"A Simple Plan" is an intense, surprisingly nuanced small town crime caper with a positive message to boot.
½ December 13, 2015
This was an odd one for me. There were some parts that were so good, the dialogue so tight, the acting on point...and then there is the last 10 minutes of the movie. Felt...like the tone was off slightly. Anyway, it was a good movie. Like, if Fargo had a lovechild, this would be it.. Although not as good.
½ November 9, 2015
A riveting departure for director Sam Raimi, "A Simple Plan" is a harrowing cautionary tale featuring some stunning cinematography and one of Billy Bob Thornton's greatest performances.