Single White Female - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Single White Female Reviews

½ October 20, 2014
Though nothing special, this is an efficient thriller with the kind of subject that could have actually been made into a better movie had it played as a psychological drama. Still, It is nice to see that Schroeder manages to make it seem real enough despite its most ludicrous moments.
½ October 14, 2010
There are many conventions in this film that make it really great as a thriller, and a good horror film. Many things about this film reminded me of 2009's "Orphan" mostly because of the main antagonist's shady past, her connections to a horrible childhood, and trying to seduce all the men around her. Jennifer Jason Leigh has never been creepier or more anally retentive than she is opposite Fonda. Both women are very strong choices for this film, and give stellar performances. What really takes away from this dynamic are the steamy scenes that pander. Nudity, seduction, and over-the-top scenes bring this film very close to B-movie. The ending is even annoyingly underwhelming and anti-climactic, for a story that is so built up throughout, and dramatic at every turn. The premise was interesting, but some of the directorial decisions and parts of the script really took away from the tension.
murphmann93
January 18, 2009
Predictable, not that good acting, except for the physcopath. Quite creepy at times but nothing that you haven't seen before.
September 6, 2010
If I remember correctly this movie was thrilling, and I liked it. But I'd like to see it again, since I can't remember it that well.
thmtsang
July 21, 2007
Excellent thriller. Great cast and plot. A single girl places an ad in a newspaper for a lodger. The new lodger has a troubled past and looks for a new friend and identity. Watch out for the killer heels!
movieguru12
½ October 29, 2010
So so movie & I hate when animals die in movies.
ScoopOnline
January 14, 2010
How do you lock the terror out... when you already invited it in?
FilmFanatik
December 24, 2007
Pretty good thriller.
½ November 18, 2009
Jennifer Jason Lee was unbelievably good in this movie as a psychotic room mate, but that was about the best thing about it. I like the idea of a female psychotic. Bridget Fonda was lacking any real emotions and unlikable. I was actually rooting for Jennifer Jason Lee the entire time because she was so diabolical.
August 9, 2007
This is a film I've been wanting to see for quite some time. I remember hearing how creepy it was when I was younger, but never understanding what it was about exactly. Being a female in my 20's, oh now I know! Never rent a room out to someone you don't know! Very scary and it's a situation no one would ever want to be in. I do recommend this!
January 9, 2007
A very good sexy thriller which seems to have stood the test of time. A good story and idea for a thriller as a woman advertises for a flatmate. All seems well at first before the new resident starts to become more weird and threatening as time goes by. It has a good strong cast and it is a lot better than many recent thrillers that have tried to surpass it!
October 19, 2006
Assuming this to be a cheesy 80?s film worked to it?s advantage for me, as it was a much more serious and suspenseful film than I set to give it credit for.

Despite the well know storyline of this film, it entertained from start to finish and brought excitement right up to the grand finale.
½ November 24, 2007
This is camp to the extreme, but it's highly watchable camp; a selective taste if ever there was one. There are some parts of Single White Female with surprising punch, such as the excellent acting by a pair of roommates at war, but ultimately it's just a strongly-performed slasher. Not that there's anything wrong with that; the movie keeps its pace very well, clipping along gleefully with not a wasted moment in sight. Some of the setups may be a little obvious (screwdriver in the elevator, anyone?) but it comes with the territory. Camp's not always meant to surprise. Just entertain.

The ending kind of sucks, but the climax is awesome. Watching these two duke it out in the halls of some dilapidated apartment building is a savage pleasure, and Bridget Fonda has all the right kind of fight in her. Her coup de grace is one for the ages. That's not to discount Jennifer Jason Leigh, though. I love her more and more with everything I see her in, and this unique role is almost certainly what put her on the map.

The fact that Single White Female bills itself as a psychological thriller is woefully pretentious posturing, because all the psychology you're gonna find in here is "Jennifer Jason Leigh is fucking nuts." Not that I mind, though. There's a time and a place for psychology in movies, and Single White Female is completely removed from it. Not to say that these characters are walking, talking ciphers for their roles in the story; the movie actually does a pretty admirable job bringing the names in the screenplay to life. Again, this may be due largely to the performances, but I'd like to think that Allie's exceptional resourcefulness under fire and Hedy's tortured loyalty are at least two examples of interesting traits. Plus, what female stalkers were there in the film world until JJL blazed the trail? None that I can think of.

Single White Female was never going to pick up any Oscars, but it isn't like it needed them. This is moody, woman-centric, suspenseful filmmaking done (mostly) right. Worth the watch, if you're in the proper mindset.
garyX
½ April 1, 2007
One of those films that was really hyped at the time, but is in fact, shit. It's silly and totally lacks suspense, in a similar vein to Fatal Attraction and Basic Instinct. Which are shit too.
February 16, 2007
Girl goes a little nuts here. It's ok if you want to watch a little thriller.
deano
December 12, 2006
Great psychological thriller of women only. Jennifer Jason Leigh's fantastic in her role as the 'Flatmate from Hell'.
November 28, 2006
I saw this back in the day when everyone was talking about how great it was. I disagree with everyone, but Jennifer Jason Leigh was great as usual.
Naughtia
May 14, 2010
An thrilling movie about a girl who seeks a roommate. She finds a roommate and the roommate turns out to be a psychopat with very big issues. A very catchy movie which makes you sit and watch till the end.
xxdebxx
December 28, 2009
Single white Female delves into something dark and fascinating where everyone is really a stranger, honesty is rare, and caution is the keyword of the day. The protagonist is the recently jilted Bridget Fonda who needs to find a new roommate now that she's dumped her two-timing fiancée. She takes out an ad for a room mate and a seemingly perfect woman applies and moves in. Jennifer Jason Leigh is the mousy new roommate who's possessive, insecure, lonely and destructive; and very scary as the psychotic weirdo whose needy attachment to Fonda grows and finally escalates into something dark and sinister. The film has some very direct and revealing scenes of nudity and sex and don't leave that much to the imagination, either.

However, Single White Female is a engaging psychological thriller with loads of suspense. I found it heart-pounding and downright exciting.
June 21, 2008
A decent thriller with a couple of promising upcoming actresses.