Sister Act - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sister Act Reviews

½ July 26, 2017
one of those great tight movies. nothing too complicated. had a slow build and took its time to reach its crescendos. very patient and hit everytime.

i truly had no idea what this movie was about or what is was going to be about. Definitely a surprise. but what was most surprising, given its reputation was how long it took for the movie to get into some singing!

Kathy Najimi was perfect. just perfect.
and so was the Monsignor.
½ June 24, 2017
Surprisingly entertaining. Good family film for pre and younger teens
½ June 4, 2017
When we never could see others ways when we are in the place of the Lord to see it otherwise. When we see some places we don't like seeing we end up in other places we never could see coming. When we thought we have seen enough action and excitement to see something that takes in a place of hiding when we are under the witness protection plan. When we still see we don't belong in some places when we see their ways are not what we like seeing. When we need to not to be seen and earn our place to stay to follow the rules to earn our keep. When we need to be seen to come from another place to fit in, to see we ourselves through others eyes when they see the good in us. When what we see puts us out of place when we are unlike others like us to blend in the wrong crowd whom we see are more like us. When what we like seeing and doing is us, when it takes us to another place of fun and soul that unearths the hidden talent in ourselves. When what we see out of place and out of tune, we see there is no hope. When we see others are more like us then we can see when the same thing takes them to places we don't need to be seen being in. When we see some things are in the right place when all around a place like this could use the Lord in hard times. When we see that running a place for a higher purpose requires order and nothing to be out of place when our rules are strict. When see some places are a right fit when we find a place in the group for another purpose. When we don't see some things coming to earn our place in front and in charge of our group with a higher purpose. When we see what others are doing wrong to put them in the right place to give them new purposes. When we see that some other things need to be put into place when there sole purpose is to bring out what the Lord intends, harmony. When we don't need to see something's in right places when we can hear where ever we are when the lord's purpose transcends through song. When others don't need to see neither when our voice is the right sound that moves everyone from outside inside to the lord's place. When what others don't see they don't see they are out of place and time when we don't see we are not relevant in changing times to move hearts to places closer to God. When others enjoy seeing, they let others put their place in the community when we are re-imagining ourselves to be seen in the eyes of people rather hidden. When we see we are doing the lord's work when we try to clean our place into the hearts of people. When we see we must place others in the right direction to make them see the light, goodness, cleanliness and positiveness this community has to bring. When we see others earn their keep in this place when they follow by example and help out one another. When we meant not to be seen and remain hidden to be placed in the media spotlight for all the good work we have done. When see that no one has to worry about being out of place when the lord speaks to us all that there is always place for us here. When we start to see that we need to make more place when we start to see that place is filling up. When we see that some places we are newly kept in, brings out God's gifts in us all transcend through the crowd and elsewhere reach in Holier places. When others don't need to see but hear when Holier places come to hear our sound. When we see we are all here to serve the lord's purpose one way or another to see that others are better suited to take our place. When we see our place is not permanent to see that others wish for us to stay. When what we don't see coming we are put right back out of place when we lie to those who put their trust and responsibility on us to serve our purpose to only let them down. When we see some people who are out of place when they are double crossing. When our meant to be hidden to be found when others see us in strange places to put a stop to our activity. When we see we rather not put others in harms way to displace then. When we see that we protect our own when we all value serving a greater purpose by saving them from going into dark places again. When some places we see resemble the lord's words when they are mentioned in the bible, (Gamora-Las Vegas). When we see the right place to do god's work when we see away out. When we thought we seen everything in strange places to see the lord's servants prancing in the evening in the place they call sin city. When we see the lord works in mysterious places to work in the wrong place. When we see others are in the right place and time to see that the lord works in others to serve a greater purpose. When we see we are in the place of the lord to not see anything bad come to them. When we are seen as image of the lord to see that no wrong can come when we place ourselves in his hands. When we see there are no place where God doesn't belong when he is welcome with open hands like he is with us.
May 4, 2017
Sister Act is childish, naive and definitely clichéd, but also quite charming and a lot of fun. It can be quite funny at times so it succeeds as a memorable comedy. The musical performances are also very entertaining and Whoopi Goldberg is just so fantastic here - hugely charismatic and hilarious. The movie is a product of its time, but a sweet one nevertheless.
January 14, 2017
Simply one of the best musical comedies of the 90s.
November 29, 2016
Love this movie!!! So much comedy, so many quotable lines, so much fun! Whoopi is spot on. What a classic! "When my sister's in trouble I will always help her out"!
November 7, 2016
One of my favorite movies. Whoopi Goldberg is everything to me because of this movie.
September 5, 2016
One of those movies you can watch over again and never gets old. Whoopi is wonderful in it!
June 25, 2016
A girl goes from a show girl to a nun, thats a big transformation.
½ June 18, 2016
C- I love the sound track
May 13, 2016
Even if it takes a while to get to the good parts, Whoopi Goldberg's performance and the catchy musical numbers make Sister Act impossible to resist.
May 7, 2016
Lounge singer witnesses a murder by her ex gangster boyfriend and enters protective custody and is placed at a covenant disguised as a nun. It's their she becomes in charge of the choir and of course she changes the lives of others. This is a comedy that would normally rely on cliches but much like the directors previous movies (Dirty Dancing, which relied on cliches from 80s dance flicks) he's able to balance the cliche with fresh material. It's not reinventing the wheel but it's not copying its formula either. Whoopi brings a breath of fresh air to the movie.
April 27, 2016
Goldberg is so charming as the character Deloris, she makes me laugh out loud every time she's on screen!
April 8, 2016
Whoopi Goldberg's best movie from my childhood.
January 18, 2016
A pretty entertaining movie.
December 11, 2015
O roteiro de Joseph Howard é baseado em uma idéia promissora: Whoopi Goldberg interpreta Deloris Van Cartier uma cantora de salão cujo amante Vince LaRocca ( Harvey Keitel ) é um chefe de casino, quando ela acidentalmente testemunha um assassinato, LaRocca ordena sua execução, Deloris escapa da morte e consegue proteção policial, o serviço de proteção a testemunha interna Deloris em um convento de freiras católicas. Apesar de não ser bem vista pela madre superiora ( Maggie Smith ) a nova "freira", conquista as outras irmãs, e em pouco tempo ela é a líder do coral. A direção de Emile Ardolino parece esta no piloto automático, mas pelo menos Goldberg e suas colegas especialmente Kathy Najimy como a Irmã Mary Patrick são capazes de criar vida e dar volume ao humor quando a câmera está sobre elas. Apesar do roteiro promissor o filme se desenrola e uma comedia infantilizada com pouco frescor nas piadas.
½ November 28, 2015
i would love to see the movie now
August 25, 2015
A great film from start to finish
½ June 17, 2015
Despite the complicating action being re-used towards a religious development with Goldberg's favorable, comedic, musically-talented-self of turning the traditions and culture of a religious cult around, even showing some imbalanced mix to the plot that was given a comedic pay-off, this "Act" is a nicely-formed comedy as Goldberg knows how to give a good time. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
June 12, 2015
Sister Act was alright. I enjoyed all the actors' performances. Maggie Smith is perfect casting of Mother Superior.