Beauty (Skoonheid) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beauty (Skoonheid) Reviews

May 8, 2016
Everything that is well delivered in this movie,is so because of the amazing performance of Lotz.Lotz's acting is the body and soul of this entire film,which is too artsy and too long for my preferences.
½ June 10, 2015
Brutal and devastating. A quiet study in sexual repression and, at the same time, a sharp insight into white, post-apartheid Johannesburg.
December 23, 2013
Skoonheid is a slow-burn drama that portrays a dark and disturbing side to obsession and anger.
July 8, 2013
Nothing beautiful about the story. It is pure ugliness caused by deeply suppressed desire and obsession.
June 28, 2013
Crudo y contemplativo relato sobre un supuesto homofobico que vive una doble vida y se obsesiona con el hijo de su mejor amigo. Con buenas actuaciones y momentos intensos, sobre todo al final con la "explosion de emociones" entre los personajes principales. Tiene un final demasiado ambiguo para su propio bien, aun asi vale la pena por el tratamiento sutil de los personajes y el uso discreto de la desnudez. (Texto intencionalmente sin acentos).
May 23, 2013
Ugly. This is even less enjoyable to watch than I thought it would be.
½ May 18, 2013
gespanne en ontstellend
½ May 13, 2013
Death In Venice Goes South African, Michael Haneke-style. Fearless central performance by Deon Lotz and a fascinating, albeit repellent, charachter study about post-aparteid life.
½ May 13, 2013
½ May 12, 2013
A disturbing, visually confronting piece of work by Oliver Hermanus set in South Africa. Francois leads a double life, a successful married businessman in one, and a sexual deviant in another. Francois' perversion is for sex with other men, but there is no room in that for the hated faggots and blacks. Hermanus creates an atmosphere with this film through the use of silence and mood, and I find myself torn between pity for Francois and his plight, and hatred for his inhumanity and selfishness. The dissatisfaction he feels about his marriage and the antipathy toward his wife and daughter are palpable.
½ May 12, 2013
A well-acted and technically well made film, but its pace was at times too slow. And the graphic and violent male on male sex scenes could have been staged with much of the action implied, to the film's betterment. The mass walkouts during those sequences - and I saw the film at a film society screening - showed how overdone the action was. And did the central character's incessant drives have to be so extended? The message came through early and didn't need to be overdone.
April 25, 2013
Charlie Keegan's character as Christian to me was still a mystery after what happens to him in the film. After that, I just was more curious about what happened next for him than anything else. The film wasn't bad but it left a lot of curiosity and wonder. It differently reminded me to be more caution and careful in this life especially when it comes to people. Overall a good film and amazing performance from Deon Lotz as Francois. The mystery of Christian will always remain a mystery which makes the movie that more interesting. A must watch film if you haven't already seen it.
½ April 24, 2013
A disturbing and tense movie. Some intense acting and good direction in this one. An open ended story with lots left to ones imagination. The turmoil was well captured.
April 17, 2013
A disturbingly, unnecessary film of one mans frightful battle to contain his inner demons. That is seriously all this shit is about. I will admit, the leading protagonist does a wonderful job, but the writer should be shot for making such a wasteful attempt at a story. We know these people exist, we don't need a film to attempt to justify their actions. The ending is poorly crafted as it creates ambiguity while trying to demonstrate what should have been a simple point.
½ April 8, 2013
Heart-wrenching and beautifully acted.
April 2, 2013
A riveting study of obsession and anger.
March 29, 2013
You want to experience human. Watch it open to all interpretation. Each character has a story each character feels real. Better to watch with an empty stomach
March 19, 2013
Absorbing from the exceptional opening scene, a splendidly shot and really well performed tale of obsession.
½ February 8, 2013
Creepily good. Excellent casting, great acting, beautifully shot.
½ January 19, 2013
Sjoe ... Nie wat ek verwag het nie. Beslis nie almal se koppie tee. Vol emosie, rou, kru maar tog heeltemal werdlik. This movie wil make you feel emtions you would rather ignore. Well done SA!