Small Soldiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Small Soldiers Reviews

October 21, 2016
Very good effects, Barbie dolls really funny, liked Archer the best
½ October 21, 2016
Small Soldiers is a boring film. It is about missile technology that is used to enhance toy action figures. Kirsten Dunst and Gregory Smith give horrible performances. The script is badly written. Joe Dante did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
August 25, 2016
I love this movie for what it is and for what it will always be; fun.
½ August 20, 2016
Yuck. Already weird flick goes into bizarre and sexist direction when the toy soldiers 'reanimate' naked Barbies to bind & gag teenaged Kirsten Dunst. Distaseful!
½ August 13, 2016
½ May 20, 2016
Small Soldiers hits everything wrong by providing a thin plot, unintentional laughs, and boring characters
May 15, 2016
definitely not as good as I remember.
½ May 8, 2016
Small Soldiers, although with a decent overall story, is incredibly mean spirited and repetitive for an obvious Toy Story knockoff. With some dreadful acting (except for that of Phil Hartman) and repetitive, tiring plot continuations, Small Soldiers is forgettable.
A line of army toys known as the Commando Elite are placed with military chips that make them walk and talk intelligently - this new toy line causes living hell for Alan and his family and friends, who must protect themselves from the clutches of the Commandos, who wage war on them for hiding their sworn enemy, the misunderstood Gorgonites.
Small Soldiers seems alright in its first half hour. With a seemingly promising story, although blatantly created to rival that of Toy Story's fame, it seems entertaining enough. When the Commando characters are introduced, we are treated to a horde of lifeless, army cronies led by an even duller Tommy Lee Jones portraying the trigger happy captain Chip Hazard. The story is ruined by this addition of waging war, with repeated slapstick antics made by the Commandos becoming tiring and idiotic. The overall story proves that it doesn't have much to work with because we see the same kind of storytelling over and over - the Commandos destroy some stuff, attack the humans, and are packed with weapons. The element of the original bad guys, the Gorgonites, being the real good guys creates a misfit gang of supposedly humorous and misunderstood rejects like a wisecracking comedian and a giant eye - Small Soldiers is pretty ridiculous. The story is way too mean spirited to be likable because it's practically if the green army men from Toy Story decided to kill Woody and Buzz instead of being humorous parodies of army cliches. The Commandos are dull and lifeless, but our Gorgonite protagonists are admitedly annoying. The acting is mediocre at best - Phil Hartman always delivers in his roles, but Dunst and the other slew of forgettable actors are noticably bland. Small Soldiers doesn't deliver well and leaves viewers dissatisifed with what could have been a genius idea turned into a bland, mean spirited take on Toy Story with machine guns.
March 10, 2016
A fun movie that I especially enjoyed as a teenager. The Gorgonites are a cool team of weirdos. (First viewing - Summer 1998 in theaters)
½ February 19, 2016
Fairly forgettable and cliche; nothing we haven't already seen many times. I tried to like it but it tripped and fell on it`s face. Weird.
February 7, 2016
In this movie toys com to life The commando elite vs the gorgon nights and Allen helps the gorgon nights out Tommy Lee Jones play is as major chip hazard he is good at his role and this movie is funny. My favorite line was when major chip hazard said we have Lost the battle you will not lose the war. I consider this movie to be an action movie with humor in it!! Give it a try
February 4, 2016
Too disturbing to really be a kid film, Small Soldier brings back childhood memory thanks to the Toy Story like storyline with an adult twist.
January 31, 2016
funny and a great movie.
½ January 28, 2016
I'd say it's a kinda,sorta guilty pleasure.
August 30, 2015
8/30/2015: Very disappointing. I liked the premise of the film, but the execution and direction of the fin was underwhelming.
½ July 26, 2015
Small Soldiers is one of those B movies which you would probably skip if you heard the premise of it. I revisited it today since it was on the Encore Action channel at the cabin I am staying in, and I can say there's a reason I did not remember much of this movie since watching it in my childhood.

So the premise is basically this: take Toy Story, mix it into a live action film, separate the toys into 2 rival gangs who fight each other, and finally, make the toys dumber and more aggressive than they were in Toy Story. Oh, and make it PG-13, because if there's any way to improve a movie with a premise which should be kid-marketed, it's by making that movie PG-13.

While the CGI is poor and the "action" of the film doesn't necessarily entertain me, Small Soldiers has some good thematic material, although it is somewhat typical of an action film of this nature. A good amount of the thematic material has to deal with not surrendering, fighting/violence is not the answer, and so forth. A good one that goes beyond the typical themes in action films is that a line is revisited: "Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there" or something along the lines of that.

The way they set up the premise for this film was pretty strange; two toy engineers came up with two different sets of toys - one alien, one a group of soldiers - and their boss had the great idea of making the two sets rivals. Then, the guy who created the soldiers ordered microprocessors for both sets of toys, which happened to be used by the military, which meant the toys became very dangerous once activated. They became a type of artificial intelligence, though one side character described it as being more like "actual intelligence." To avoid the entire nation being terrorized by the aggressive "commandos," the film conveniently made it so that one kid who worked at his dad's toy shop would be able to "test" these toys before their actual release. This kid is, of course, the main character of the film, and of course he got his own romantic subplot with a young Kirsten Dunst.

This film was a little bit of an upset in my opinion - they could have waited a few years until CGI was a bit better, they could have made this more kid-friendly which probably would have made it much more profitable, and the plot was somewhat sloppily put together. This film has a good aesthetic and passes for a good B movie, but it is not a film I would revisit often.
July 25, 2015
I love this movie when I was little, now not so much.
July 9, 2015
A rip off of Toy Story, I can tell you this..Fetish Movie
½ May 29, 2015
A carbon copy of Joe Dante's pervious work Gremlins but with action figures, Small soldiers is still decently amusing, but is far more tonally inconsistent than Gremlins.
May 18, 2015
Oh how I liked this premise and boy was I disappointed.