Smokin' Aces - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Smokin' Aces Reviews

September 18, 2017
Stunningly Staccato Violent Vignettes.
½ September 16, 2017
The lack of things I have to say about this one really says everything.
½ September 3, 2017
A movie that revolves around a magician.
½ August 21, 2017
Enjoyable shoot em up flick!
June 14, 2017
Before I watch a movie I look on rottentomatoes to see it's reviews. But not with this movie. So after the film ended I went to see it's reviews and boy can I say one thing. Don't listen to the critics with this movie.

Hands down one of the best movies I've ever seen and believe me I've seen a lot of movies. You can divide the movie in two pieces. The first piece is an explenation of the how, what and when. Then shit just starts going down and you know it. An action packed second piece of the movie is what it ends with.

The hate is because the director is not Quentin Tarantino and it does look like a movie from him. Forgive my language but please don't listen to the fucking critics.
½ May 5, 2017
While the acting in this film is quite impressive, it doesn't save this movie. This movie's downfall is it's lack of emotional satisfaction for the viewer. The movie is neither funny as well.

What this movie lacks is humanity. The aging mafioso head, Primo is dying. His illegitimate son, Buddy Israel, who is also referred to as "Aces," has had contacts with his father, but had turned on him. Ultimately, to avoid prison himself, Buddy is about to turn states evidence on Primo.

Primo claims he wants his son's heart. So, his people figure it's for a transplant to extend his life. So there is a series of hit men going after Buddy. The problem is - the overall lack of humanity in this film (and lack of humor). Seems Primo is not exactly who he seems and the FBI need to keep him alive to talk to him as well.

Only problem I saw with this film is what if everyone misinterpreted Primo's request of wanting his son's heart? If that scene had been added to this film, it would have added a different layer of heart and humanity to this film that it totally lacks.

As I said, the acting in this film is never the issue, rather it's the writing and direction instead.
½ March 24, 2017
2017-03-23 meh, misogynist and gory
½ March 11, 2017
Writer/Director Joe Carnahan was hot off of his super smart and tense crime drama "NARC" when he took a surprisingly lighter turn with this breezy (and gleefully violent) action film. Jeremy Piven plays a mob informer who a finds himself the target of a wide array of color hitmen, hitwomen, and hit teams. Throw in some federal agents, security teams, and the cops, and you can imagine that the film is pretty much a non-stop hail of gunfire. The cast includes Ryan Reynolds, Ray Liotta, Alex Rocco, Ben Affleck, Peter Berg, Andy Garcia, Alicia Keys, Chris Pine, Nestor Carbonell, Kevin Durand, Tommy Flanagan, Curtis Armstrong, Jason Bateman, Matthew Fox, and Wayne Newton as Wayne Newton. Carnahan keeps the film moving at a quick pace and keeps the tone spot on for a comic action film. I think the trio of psychotic neo-nazi brothers (Pine, Durand, and Sterling) steal the movie. Clint Mansell provides the film an excellent score and I think a lot of credit needs to be given to director of photography Mauro Fiore, who'd later go on to earn an Oscar for his work on "Avatar," for gorgeously photographing all of the onscreen mayhem. This film is not for anyone looking for an engrossing story or character development, but if you want an enjoyably frenetic non-stop action film, this is definitely one to check out.
February 23, 2017
It's like a Guy Ritchie movie took too much bath salts or Tarantino too much molly. I'm not really sure what the plot or the purpose is but fuck yeah I enjoyed it.
February 14, 2017
ts just kind of funny and weird, but unintentionally so. The all star cast scattered all around the picture are each in the film for different reasons, but all are doing what they can to add to the stylistic nature of the film. Ben Afflick seems to be aware that the film is a mess. Everybody else just gets into their own scenes hoping that it adds up to something good.
January 31, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 8, 2017
Packing a movie with a million different characters can be fine fi they all have something about them that is interesting and makes them feel flushed out. It is very hard to do and it's why when a film does it, it garners so much admiration and love. This film packs in the characters, but nothing that makes them stand out. Add in a story so over bloated and sluggish it quickly becomes something that thinks it is clever, but is really not.
December 19, 2016
I'm still momentously impressed by Joe Carnahan's command of the scenes he orchestrates. This thing could have very well been a runaway train with only brief moments of successful action, but his script and the talent of the cast always seems to persevere. That being said, the energy reaches a fever pitch at times that is quite unsustainable, and that forces the film to, despite the strength in other areas, simply lie there; seemingly unsure of where it's headed.

That's the great curse of this film: Joe Carnahan, talented as he may be, tried to fit a TV miniseries inside of a 110 minute movie that is only handicapped by its lack of available time to elaborate.
November 19, 2016
High pace great flix , one of my favorites
September 25, 2016
Blah blah gave up on it
½ September 16, 2016
9/15/16 This film is kind of a mess. It can't find an identity. At certain points, it acts like a crime drama, then at other points it is just gore and mayhem. Of course, they try to throw a twist in at the end, but it doesn't mean anything, so it is ineffective. From the beginning, it is very hard to tell what is going on and who the characters are. It is even more difficult to tell why in the world any of the characters are doing what they are doing? It is a mess, but it does have some short entertaining clips simply because it is so out there.
September 5, 2016
Desperately wanting.
August 23, 2016
So this is similar to a tarantino flick but it doesn't posses the same wit and humor as his films have. Only good thing was that the editing is tremendous scenes flow so well into each other like each one dives into the other. this MUST be commended.
the cast was hit or miss. some stoodout while others faultered immeasureably such as Taraji P Henson and Ray Liotta hell even common wasn't intriguing me here. pretty crazy to see joel edgerton's earliest role. I liked ben afflecks new york accent and he pulls off the swagger of a new Yorker well despite being a bostontonian. he was pretty good during his limited time on screend. Alicia keys is not bad in here. she has real pose and can deliver lines really well. her voice just grabs your attention as it should since she is a musician as well. I was impressed by her. she should do more action films or at least crime films Jeremy piven is decent here but not much dimension with his character. he just seemed like a sleazebag. actually he reminded me a bit of his character on entourage. ryan Reynolds was his usual witty self here but not often you see him playing cops.
the story itself was a bit of a mess I must say. the writing is lackluster to say the least. The direction was muddled. Coming off of the fantastic and hard hitting Narc Joe Caranhan struggles with his story telling here among this cast of newbees and vets. it really became a bit of hot mess. the action scenes were pretty good though.
Aaaaand the final verdict.....Smokin Aces SUCKED!!
August 16, 2016
Another great movie premise ruined by a lack of vision. I knew this was gonna crash and burn the moment the bounty hunters were unceremoniously gunned down. Erectile Kid was the last straw. Never saw the sequel.
½ July 30, 2016
Trying too hard to be Snatch or a Quentin Tarantino movie. Very disappointing venture from Joe Carnahan.