Smokin' Aces - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Smokin' Aces Reviews

November 19, 2016
High pace great flix , one of my favorites
September 25, 2016
Blah blah gave up on it
½ September 16, 2016
9/15/16 This film is kind of a mess. It can't find an identity. At certain points, it acts like a crime drama, then at other points it is just gore and mayhem. Of course, they try to throw a twist in at the end, but it doesn't mean anything, so it is ineffective. From the beginning, it is very hard to tell what is going on and who the characters are. It is even more difficult to tell why in the world any of the characters are doing what they are doing? It is a mess, but it does have some short entertaining clips simply because it is so out there.
September 5, 2016
Desperately wanting.
August 23, 2016
So this is similar to a tarantino flick but it doesn't posses the same wit and humor as his films have. Only good thing was that the editing is tremendous scenes flow so well into each other like each one dives into the other. this MUST be commended.
the cast was hit or miss. some stoodout while others faultered immeasureably such as Taraji P Henson and Ray Liotta hell even common wasn't intriguing me here. pretty crazy to see joel edgerton's earliest role. I liked ben afflecks new york accent and he pulls off the swagger of a new Yorker well despite being a bostontonian. he was pretty good during his limited time on screend. Alicia keys is not bad in here. she has real pose and can deliver lines really well. her voice just grabs your attention as it should since she is a musician as well. I was impressed by her. she should do more action films or at least crime films Jeremy piven is decent here but not much dimension with his character. he just seemed like a sleazebag. actually he reminded me a bit of his character on entourage. ryan Reynolds was his usual witty self here but not often you see him playing cops.
the story itself was a bit of a mess I must say. the writing is lackluster to say the least. The direction was muddled. Coming off of the fantastic and hard hitting Narc Joe Caranhan struggles with his story telling here among this cast of newbees and vets. it really became a bit of hot mess. the action scenes were pretty good though.
Aaaaand the final verdict.....Smokin Aces SUCKED!!
August 16, 2016
Another great movie premise ruined by a lack of vision. I knew this was gonna crash and burn the moment the bounty hunters were unceremoniously gunned down. Erectile Kid was the last straw. Never saw the sequel.
½ July 30, 2016
Trying too hard to be Snatch or a Quentin Tarantino movie. Very disappointing venture from Joe Carnahan.
½ July 11, 2016
This movie was totally awesome! Several layers of unexpected action that keep you on the edge of your seat throughout this entire thrill ride! Keys is terrific and Common is superb! Another reason that goes to show sometimes these so called movie critics must be on Crystal Meth!
June 27, 2016
Jeremy Piven makes a great illusionist though the movie doesn't focus on that one bit.  I could recommend this movie for the five minutes Jason Bateman graces the screen.  Hairy eyeball included.  I could recommend this movie for good cop Ryan Reynolds.  Or just for Ryan Reynolds.  I wouldn't recommend this movie for the 30+ minutes of excessive graphic violence.  The twist revealed about 45 - 30 minutes from the ending did come as a bit of a surprise.  When I reflected upon it however it seemed fairly obvious.  There were two maybe three laugh out loud moments but I think in the end it can be classified as action or drama and not comedy.  Though not the day, Ryan Reynolds does manage to save the film giving the redeeming ending it so needed.  I cannot say whether I recommend this or not.  Take what I've written above and make your own decision.
June 22, 2016
haha!! I really liked this movie! So many big names in it, cool shoot 'em up scenes. Pretty badass.
½ April 24, 2016
It becomes known information that a snitch (Jeremy Piven) is ready to give information on the mob. As a result there is a one million dollar hit on him and several different assassins and hit squads are out for him in his top story penthouse. FBI partners Ryan Reynolds and Ray Liotta are out to keep him protected from all the various killers. It has some great action and violence and over the top characters. The cast is quite varied from all sorts of entertainment. As Piven rests at the top of the hotel penthouse, each of the assassins has a different method of getting to the top. Force, Stealth, Disguises and Schemes are all different methods. The film has a Tarentino like finish as they climb to the top. Smokin' Aces has some confusing presentation elements, but was overall entertaining.
jamrcla
April 24, 2016
This movie tries to be more clever than it actually is with a plot that is hard to understand due to the fact that we are introduced to so many cast members in such a short time we have no clue what was going on and the twists through the film lose any shock value due to the fact that the whole story isn't explained well, There was some good violent action and some bits were clever, but apart from that we go away from this film feeling kind of numb and dissapointed.
April 23, 2016
Easily one of my favorite movies of all time.
½ March 13, 2016
stylish and violent. Pretty good
½ February 28, 2016
I think you may need to be 'on something' to appreciate this film ? It's a bit too wacky for me. But still 3 Stars because it 'had it's moments'.
½ February 17, 2016
Good except for the ghetto trash talk.
½ December 6, 2015
It's not great, but there are a few creative scenes that make it worth the watch.
½ November 24, 2015
Lock, stock and devoid of the cleverness and wit.
½ October 21, 2015
I actually liked it a bit. It's not a good movie in the slightest when we're talking Oscars, but it more like a Boondock Saints where I know it's a poorly executed film but I liked it anyways for the action and what not. Smokin Aces is just a fun film.