Snake Eyes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Snake Eyes Reviews

½ June 15, 2017
This movie begins badly and ends badly, but everything in between is stylish and thrilling, with assured direction by Brian De Palma.
½ March 19, 2017
Brian DePalma had an ambitious idea and he kinda of pulled it off. Only by revealing the bad guy halfway through, the mystery is gone and my mind began to wander. I still paid attention in chunks but his telling a story from 3 different points of view never really coalesce into a coherent enough ending. There's something about weapons or a peace treaty or a senator or some such blah blah. See what I mean? However, Nicholas Cage is excellent. And not his crazy, off the wall, terrible actor excellent, he's actually excellent in this movie. One of his best characters.
February 20, 2017
I don't think this deserves the bad press it gets. Yes, it's Cage in manic phase and the mystery is pretty obvious from the get go, but the set up is amazingly filmed and the opening shot is worthy of an Orson Welles. The women in the story are merely damsels in distress (DePalma doesn't do well with strong women) but I found myself interested in how this tale was told.
December 6, 2016
Nick Cage is almost so bad, he's amazing. Honestly, it's a solid plot with unexpected turns and creative camera work. If they would have casted someone other than Cage, the film could have probably been taken pretty seriously. Instead, it ends up kinda amusingly silly.
½ September 4, 2016
Holds up. I like this movie a lot. It's not perfect but who the fuck cares. It's very good.
July 4, 2016
A predictable mediocre thriller but still entertaining. Brian De Palma crafts his most underrated and most predictable film at the same time.
March 16, 2016
Great story line that was very poorly executed.
December 1, 2015
Not DePalmas best, but it's still a serviceable thriller. The cinematography and design is masterfully done though, some of his best.
September 1, 2015
not a huge nick cage fan, predictable movie. wasn't that bad
½ July 5, 2015
Quite stylish and actually surprisingly good. A well told story with great cinematography. This is before De Palma started to put out stinkers (or maybe towards the beginning of when, anyway)
June 3, 2015
its a pretty good nicolas cage movie
½ May 24, 2015
Brian De Palma's voyeurism approach seems somewhat obnoxious here, over-stylized and random. Nicolas Cage is also obnoxious and somewhat terrible in this. I feel like De Palma's trying to do an homage to film noir while also using his Hitchcock influences and mixing in some sort of an exploitation feel, but it feels jumbled, boring and overdone.
½ May 18, 2015
Purely for the profit movie.....really no other way to put it.
½ April 26, 2015
DePalma's directing is still vividly brushed as ever and Cage seems conceived into his character. But the story starts bad and ends lower then that. Implausible twists revealed too early and unconvincing back stories.
April 5, 2015
This movie would have been great if Cage was a hero. Nick is a jackass who you never cheer for
April 2, 2015
Nicholas Cage movies are usually a miss and I consider Snake Eyes right over the line of being one. It has an interesting murder mystery concept but what starts out fun ends up being overdone and boring. It all takes place is one evening in one boxing arena as they try and find out who shot a political icon. There are some twists that occur but they aren't all that shocking and Cage does his best but still overacts in his part like always. I was disappointed at the lack of action as it focused more on conversations and unveiling the plot about how the murder developed the way it did. The ending was underwhelming and it the backdrop and idea of it all never developed into much. I did not expect much from this film and I was right, it was low level and should only be seen if you love Cage.
½ March 19, 2015
Okay thriller that is far from Nicolas Cage's best work...but also far from his worst.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Not one of N. Cage better flicks but enjoyable enough i thought. The whole movie takes place in a casino where a murder conspiracy happens during a boxing match.. a decent plot aswell as the acting. Could have been more thriller and exciting but its worth seeing in the end.
November 25, 2014
Snake Eyes! Even though my brother Daniel saw a person who is from Transformers in this piece of sxxt! The opening is boring, but I do like the sound effects and the part where Nicolas Cage says " To give you a br". It's just a boring boring film.
½ November 12, 2014
Nick Cage at his 90s best!