Snake Eyes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Snake Eyes Reviews

November 30, 2017
DePalma has said he is fascinated by confined worlds and what better example than a casino that goes into lock down due to the assassination of a political figure? The story is a Hitchcockian whodunit with twists and turns throughout. Perhaps the most interesting facet of the film is DePalma's use of the Rashomon technique as we see the same period of crucial time from several perspectives in order to help fill in the details of the events leading up to the assassination.

The movie is riddled with DePalma's signature moves. There are lots of long takes, point of views, split diopters, Dutch angles, and bird's eye views that float over walls. There are saturated set pieces, bright red blood splatters, and attractive women throughout. If you are like me and have a special place in your heart for the over exaggerated, testosterone fueled atmosphere that permeates all of DePalma's films, this movie is worth the watch for that aspect alone.

On the other hand, to me and I have to assume... no, to hope that for many others the problem with this movie is Cage. He is at his best when he takes it down a notch and starts to show some actual empathy and humanity. He is at his worst when he is ringside, or in a hallway, or in someone's face screeching in timed spells of forced anger and what I can only assume is authentic insanity. Whether it was DePalma's direction or Cage's provocation, it seems like every conversation in the film escalates to yelling. It becomes exhausting and like I said, it doesn't always come across as authentic.

Would I recommend this movie? Unless you are a big DePalma fan or are looking for a crazy Nick Cage role to give you a good laugh, no - not really. It pains me to give a negative review to any filmmaker, especially a master like DePalma. It takes so much effort, bravery, talent, and skill to even finish a movie, let alone make a good one and it takes so little to write a review, but I also have to be honest. This one just didn't do it for me.
November 13, 2017
Is it just me or this movie has one of the best rythms in a movie ever
½ October 5, 2017
If you want to see a Nicolas Cage more talketive than ever who get beat up by the heros of CSI, this is a film for you.
It is also one of the major De Plama, with a great use of split screen and a real work on the off-camera.
October 2, 2017
Terrific Brian De Palma thriller covers familiar territory for the director; political assassination, conspiracies, dirty cops, females in disguise, suspense set pieces, split screens, POV shots, long tracking shots, and so on and so forth. However, I'm a sucker for De Palma's style and although he's pretty much mining his previous work, it's still far better made than most other directors, creating terrific suspense and doing it with terrific visual flair. David Koepp, who wrote De Palma's last great film, "Carlito's Way," wrote this film based upon a story by he and De Palma. The story has shady Atlantic City police detective Nicholas Cage trying to figure out who's behind the murder of a politician at a heavyweight boxing championship that's taking place in the middle of a hurricane. Is it the head of security, Gary Sinise, the sleazy promoter, John Heard, the femme fatale, the terrific and criminally underused Carla Gugino, or maybe even the champ, Stan Shaw? Everyone has something to hide. It's a fun rogues gallery of characters in a serpentine plot, but it's really De Palma's directorial flourishes, the best of which is as a wildly long open shot. You also get Luis Guzmán, Kevin Dunn, and Mike Starr in supporting roles, so it's hard to see how this film can go far wrong. Although it's no "Blow Out," it's a must see for De Palma fans!
September 30, 2017
Just watched the movie and thought it was reminiscent of Hitchcock. Kept me interested and I found it entertaining.
August 10, 2017
Don't expect too much, it really is just an average film with up and down acting and directing.
½ June 15, 2017
This movie begins badly and ends badly, but everything in between is stylish and thrilling, with assured direction by Brian De Palma.
½ March 19, 2017
Brian DePalma had an ambitious idea and he kinda of pulled it off. Only by revealing the bad guy halfway through, the mystery is gone and my mind began to wander. I still paid attention in chunks but his telling a story from 3 different points of view never really coalesce into a coherent enough ending. There's something about weapons or a peace treaty or a senator or some such blah blah. See what I mean? However, Nicholas Cage is excellent. And not his crazy, off the wall, terrible actor excellent, he's actually excellent in this movie. One of his best characters.
February 20, 2017
I don't think this deserves the bad press it gets. Yes, it's Cage in manic phase and the mystery is pretty obvious from the get go, but the set up is amazingly filmed and the opening shot is worthy of an Orson Welles. The women in the story are merely damsels in distress (DePalma doesn't do well with strong women) but I found myself interested in how this tale was told.
December 6, 2016
Nick Cage is almost so bad, he's amazing. Honestly, it's a solid plot with unexpected turns and creative camera work. If they would have casted someone other than Cage, the film could have probably been taken pretty seriously. Instead, it ends up kinda amusingly silly.
½ September 4, 2016
Holds up. I like this movie a lot. It's not perfect but who the fuck cares. It's very good.
July 4, 2016
A predictable mediocre thriller but still entertaining. Brian De Palma crafts his most underrated and most predictable film at the same time.
March 16, 2016
Great story line that was very poorly executed.
December 1, 2015
Not DePalmas best, but it's still a serviceable thriller. The cinematography and design is masterfully done though, some of his best.
September 1, 2015
not a huge nick cage fan, predictable movie. wasn't that bad
½ July 5, 2015
Quite stylish and actually surprisingly good. A well told story with great cinematography. This is before De Palma started to put out stinkers (or maybe towards the beginning of when, anyway)
June 3, 2015
its a pretty good nicolas cage movie
½ May 24, 2015
Brian De Palma's voyeurism approach seems somewhat obnoxious here, over-stylized and random. Nicolas Cage is also obnoxious and somewhat terrible in this. I feel like De Palma's trying to do an homage to film noir while also using his Hitchcock influences and mixing in some sort of an exploitation feel, but it feels jumbled, boring and overdone.
½ May 18, 2015
Purely for the profit movie.....really no other way to put it.
½ April 26, 2015
DePalma's directing is still vividly brushed as ever and Cage seems conceived into his character. But the story starts bad and ends lower then that. Implausible twists revealed too early and unconvincing back stories.