Sneakers Reviews

• Feb 08, 2021

In 1969, students Martin Brice and Cosmo are sneakers who hack into computer networks using university equipment, to redistribute conservative funds to various liberal causes. The police burst in and arrest Cosmo while Martin is out getting pizza; Martin becomes a fugitive. In the present day San Francisco, Martin, now called Martin Bishop (Robert Redford), heads a security specialists team undertaking penetration testing. The team includes Donald Crease (Sidney Poitier), a former CIA officer and family man; Darren "Mother" Roskow (Dan Aykroyd), a conspiracy theorist and electronics technician; Carl Arbogast (River Phoenix), a young hacking genius; and Irwin "Whistler" Emery (David Strathairn), a blind phone phreak. After breaking into a bank and exposing their weaknesses, Martin is approached by NSA officers Dick Gordon and Buddy Wallace, who know of his former identity. In exchange for clearing his record, he is asked to recover a "black box" from mathematician Dr. Gunter Janek, who has developed the box under the project name "Setec Astronomy" supposedly for the Russian government. Martin is hesitant but agrees to help. With help from his former girlfriend, Liz, Martin and his team secure the box, which is disguised as a telephone answering machine. During their subsequent celebration party, Whistler, Mother, and Carl investigate the box, finding it capable of breaking the encryption of nearly every computer system. Martin works out that "Setec Astronomy" is an anagram of "too many secrets", and issues a lockdown until they can deliver the box the next day... The film received positive reviews from critics upon its release. Writing for the Los Angeles Times, Kenneth Turan called Sneakers "A caper movie with a most pleasant sense of humor," a "twisting plot," and a "witty, hang-loose tone." Turan went on to praise the ensemble cast and director Robinson, who is "surprisingly adept at creating tension at appropriate moments" and "makes good use of the script's air of clever cheerfulness". Roger Ebert, writing for the Chicago Sun-Times, was less impressed, giving the film two-and-a-half stars out of four, calling it "a sometimes entertaining movie, but thin." He went on to point out numerous cliches and tired plot devices recycled in the film. Vincent Canby, in a negative review for The New York Times, said the film looked like it had "just surfaced after being buried alive for 20 years," calling it "an atrophied version of a kind of caper movie that was so beloved in the early 1970's". He singled out Redford and Poitier as looking and acting too old to be in this kind of film now. He calls the plot "feeble," resulting in a film that is "jokey without being funny, breathless without creating suspense". He calls the ensemble an "all star gang," but says the "performances are generally quite bad." Rotten Tomatoes consensus states: "There isn't much to Sneakers plot and that's more than made up for with the film's breezy panache and hi-tech lingo." The film was a box office success, grossing over $105.2 million worldwide. "Sneakers" is a quite slowpaced, lightweight and not that exciting thriller with a solid ensemble cast containing of Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Dan Aykroyd, River Phoenix, David Strathairn, Ben Kingsley and Mary McDonnell. I remember it as being ok in 1992, but I have a different opinion today. Trivia: The film's press kit was accompanied by a floppy disk containing a custom program explaining the movie. Parts of the program were quasi-encrypted, requiring the user to enter an easily guessable password to proceed.

• Jan 03, 2021

I recall watching this years ago but what I don't remember is how dumb it is. I suppose its a standard 90s computer thriller but less interesting than others.

• Oct 26, 2020

There are a number of unexpected turns in the movie. Impressive cast

There are a number of unexpected turns in the movie. Impressive cast

• Sep 13, 2020

I had access to 6 different phones belonging to my workers who were planning to steal over $100,000 from my company. I read all their conversations, all thanks to this professional hacker by the name Wisetech. The best way to thank him is with this post. So if you need a good hacker you can reach him via wisetechhacker @ gmail com He has many other services he offers like -website hack -credit repair and score boost -all social media accounts hack -erasing criminal records permanently -GPS tracking -university database hack and grades change -recovering of funds lost to. online brokers and so many others. I wrote out the little I remember

• Jul 10, 2020

Not memorable enough given the cast.

Not memorable enough given the cast.

• Jun 23, 2020

What can u want more, the all-star cast and steady plot make it a good movie!

What can u want more, the all-star cast and steady plot make it a good movie!

• Jun 14, 2020

Between 3 and 3.5 stars. Although naive in many aspects, this charmful group of sneakers make you have a good time, and the use of music and rythm makes you thrilled about the destiny of this stylish robbery "coup de force"

• Jun 07, 2020

'Sneakers' is very good, definitely one I'd recommend. An excellent cast help merge the drama and the comedy, which are mostly mixed well throughout. The ending is a little disappointing, in terms of how somewhat predictable it is and the fact it's the only part where the aforementioned is off; it's more funny than serious, which is the opposite of what the film produces up until the finale. Just a minor complaint, mind. Robert Redford impresses in the lead role of Martin, while Sidney Poitier (Donald), David Strathairn (Whistler) and Dan Aykroyd (Mother) all support astutely. Their whole chemistry together is pretty spot on. Other strong parts here include the music (James Horner) and cinematography (John Lindley). An entertaining flick, no doubt.

• Jun 02, 2020

Lots of fun to watch, even as it tries to take itself too seriously. Interesting characters and an indulging storyline that is almost lost by its unsubtle political message.

• Jun 01, 2020