Somewhere in Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Somewhere in Time Reviews

April 14, 2018
Unbelievable how these jerks rated a classic movie, reknown worldwide, with a rotten score..pure hubris...maybe next time try also considering the period when these movies were made...
½ April 10, 2018
First time to watch the movie, in early 1990s, I was in 20s at that time. Last Friday I watched it with my son again. I was trying to show him Romance plus science fiction, and that most beautiful music. After nearly 30 years, I was still moved. Definitely a classic for people over 38.
April 7, 2018
Somewhere in Time, much like how I felt about Love Story, is a film that shouldn't work but does anyway. The story follows a playwright named Richard Collier who back in 1972 had a mysterious encounter with an old woman after his first play who gives him a pocket watch, telling him, "Come back to me." 8 years later, he is struggling with writer's block, and out of curiosity, he decides to stay at the Grand Hotel (Which was by his old college). In the history room, he sees a picture of a beautiful actress named Elise McKenna and he becomes obsessed with her (He even learns that she was the old woman who gave him the pocket watch was Elise). He learns all he can about her and decides to try and go back in time to 1912 (When she performed at the Grand Hotel) so that he can be with her. He manages to do so, but discovers that pursuing her will be difficult because of her manager who wants her to only pursue her acting career, rather than find love. I know, it's clearly sentimental, overtly cliched, and I felt that it ended too abruptly without addressing other obvious issues (What will Richard do to support them? How would they be compatible given the vast era differences between them?). Despite plot issues and sentimentality that would normally put me off, Somewhere in Time works beautifully because of the direction, the brilliant performances by Christopher Reed and Jane Seymour, and the beautiful music by John Barry. It's a film that will manage to tug at your heartstrings and I rather enjoyed it in spite of its issues. It's a wonderful, underrated romantic drama of the 80's.
April 1, 2018
Another terrific film that the critics hate, I see. Maybe it's about time the critics worked out what audiences actually want?
December 19, 2017
There is, undeniably, a chemistry between Christopher Reeve (Richard Collier) and Jane Seymour (Elise McKenna). However, the plot of Somewhere in Time seemed like a forced love story so that it can just happen
October 4, 2017
One of my all-time favorite movies. I cry every time. It's such a tragic, beautiful romance story.
August 14, 2017
Beautifully crafted, and with a lot of symbolism and a magnificent story; combined with a killer soundtrack thatchanges depending the momento of the movie. This makes "Somewhere in Time" one of the best romantic movies ever.
August 13, 2017
A beautiful movie with an interesting concept of time travel. Way before its time.
July 8, 2017
Exceptionally beautiful. It's so romantic. I love it. You must to watch this one.
April 24, 2017
Super Romantic Movie. Love it !
April 13, 2017
Amazing cinematography for 1980 and a truly touching film.
March 7, 2017
An interesting take on time travel with added romance. Reeves is great in this, such a different role for him.
January 30, 2017
Love this quaint film, though some do not appreciate the story.
January 6, 2017
Ending is a little emotional but the movie overall is one of my favorites! It's a must see!
½ December 8, 2016
Part of my time travel film journey
December 4, 2016
The greatest love story ever made!
½ September 24, 2016
A time travelling romantic weepie made more so by the Rachmaninov score.
September 18, 2016
Considered crap by the critics at the time and a box office failure, Somewhere in Time is a decent romance sci fi love story with decent acting. Little roles like Christopher Plummer are a nice touch, and its a decent little gem of a movie if nothing too amazing.
½ September 12, 2016
Clark Kent (Or At Least Reeve Channeling That Character) Travels Back In Time To Become Some Bumbling Love-Interest In A Slow, Staged Love Fling. The Musical Score Whiles You Away At Times, But It Simply Adds To The Dream-Like Drag Of It All. The Only Bit Of Life Was All The Casting Extra's Bringing The "Grand Hotel - Mackinac Island" In Toronto Back To Ye Olde Life. There Was Potential Here, But Unless You're A Closet Romantic, It Will Be Lost On You.