Stanley & Iris - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stanley & Iris Reviews

May 22, 2016
This movie fucking sucks for a lot of reasons, 1 i dont care about any of the characters since none of them are likable 2 you can tell the director run out of ideas while filming this movie because sometimes it just shows a random scene with Iris walking in a forest 3 the dialog is bad 4 Its just fucking boring. Just dont watch this boring movie.
April 26, 2016
Man falls in love while learning to read. No, I didn't make up the plot.
½ February 29, 2016
Honest performances.
December 20, 2014
One of De Niro's lower profile performances but it's still a good one. Jane Fonda, on the other hand is a bit annoying. A nice feel good film which would have been much more a much more powerful story if they'd have focused on the background of Stanley, rather than Iris.
February 28, 2014
a socially conscious drama with some romance thrown in 4 good measure.
½ November 5, 2013
If you need 90 minutes of a feel-good movie, this one is the one for you.
July 8, 2013
Robert De Niro Is My Third Favorite Film Actor Of All Time.
March 26, 2013
Jane Fonda was wonderful, and you can absolutely have the rest of it. (On the other hand, if you like to feel pain, you will love this movie.)
½ November 16, 2012
Jane sucks, what a miscast. siss Spacek would have been better, or even Cher.
September 30, 2012
A very bad romantic dramady.
½ August 26, 2012
Between 2.5 and 3. Although too much drama for which does not seem (or makes us feel) such an enormous handicap, the portraits of the characters are interesting enough.
July 31, 2012
Robert De Niro and Jane Fonda are both good in their respective roles but ultimately, this film is done too much like a made-for-TV drama which does not set any new standards and eventually comes across as unoriginal. Might have been better if Douglas Sirk had directed 35 years earlier with Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman in the leads.
July 28, 2012
The script is quite mawkish but the film over comes it because of the cast.
April 22, 2012
I did see it on TV small screen and loved it. Thought the cast members were extremely convincing.
½ April 10, 2012
De Niro and Fonda star as Stanley & Iris in a film about the challenges of living with illiteracy. The performances, especially de Niro‚??s, are very good ‚?? de Niro epitomized the stubborn male unwilling to ask for help. I can‚??t see how you wouldn't enjoy the sweet romance brewing between the unlikely couple including Stanley taking Iris for rides on his bike. The film appears quite dated ‚?? while watching, I even guessed it was made around 1980 rather than its 1989 release. I also felt the story went too far with the success Stanley achieved with his newfound literacy. I also thought the story could have delved deeper into Iris‚?? past notably the effect that her late husband's passing had on her.
½ March 27, 2012
Cute though unrealistic little film to fill a night with.
February 15, 2012
A simple story told beautifully.
½ January 27, 2012
Lovely story though a bit contrived. I loved Robert De Niro as Stanley.
December 29, 2011
Poor Robert De Niro cann't read (this explains some of his recent films) and it's up to plucky Jane Fonda to teach him. Of course they also fall in love. She teaches him to read and he teaches her to love again. You can literally see everyone polishing their Academy Awards for this earnest, socially aware film. Too bad they forgot to make the film watchable.