Stardust - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stardust Reviews

½ September 2, 2017
very surprised by this movie, thumbs up
August 27, 2017
Just a lil' too cheesy
August 25, 2017
Intriguing plot driven by mystical, humorous adventures. However the storyline is somewhat lackluster and cheesy.
July 29, 2017
One of my all-time faves. Great cast - from the main characters down to the smaller role (goat man Billy is amazing!). A joyous romp into the fantasy genre with great scenery, humour, suspense and the expected glorious denouement.
July 7, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: It was clear from 'Layer Cake' that director Michael Vaughn had the gift of a certain gab and a real snappiness behind the camera, and perhaps unsurprisingly what an adaptation of Neil Gaiman's 'Stardust' manages to do is to give all that quirky brilliance a shell with equal personality. Yes here we really do get a quirky and human adventure that constantly walks the line between delivering wonder and emotion, and down-right hilarity - all with astounding prowess.
That really is an impressive feat, and in a way it could be argued that - much like in the film's source material - the engagement to be had wouldn't be there without the garish whit and personality brought by the sheer extent of almost-satyrical fantasy. In Vaughn's adaptation, the job is done silmontaneously with a bouyant and brilliant cast who bring their characters to life with a serious undertone and yet a bubbling madness, as well as hugely over-exaggerated yet equally wonderous visuals and humour that never fail to catch you off gaurd as much as they equally fascinate.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: There's no getting away from it - it's absolutely ridiculous. And whilst it should be (and thank god it doesn't take itself too seriously) that doesn't mean the film transcends particularly far to unlock proper emotion... or indeed much actual laughter.
VERDICT: 'Stardust' is just mad - mad that it engages, mad that it's so fun, and mad that it works. Basically then, in his second directorial attempt, Matthew Vaugh has done a very, very good job indeed.
June 29, 2017
Reminded me of Princess Bride but more quirky. Nothing not to like here.
April 16, 2017
It's wonderful. It is par to Princess Bride.
½ February 18, 2017
Based on a graphic novel (though I've only read the non-graphic version) by Neil Gaiman, I actually found this to be surprisingly faithful to its source. Having said that, it does veer off on its own tangent towards the end.

I'm also not sure about Ricky Gervais role in the proceedings: felt he was shoe-horned in too much, just because of who he was. While I also know others who were, shall we say, less-than-impressed by the role Robert de Niro also played, I actually felt this was a good move on his part as it shows a less serious side to his chacacter.

if you like 'Princess Bride' or 'Time Bandits', I think you'd like this.
½ February 6, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 25, 2017
Most surprising film I have ever seen. Went into the cinema dreading it and came out LOVING it!
½ January 7, 2017
This is a fantastic film. I just didn't fancy it but I was convinced. The story and the acting was great. This is one to watch.
December 20, 2016
I don't know what's happening to me ...but this is a heart warming movie for all to see
½ December 14, 2016
This randomly came on and weather your a kid or adult the story is one for the ages. Heartwarming while full of action and deniro as a transvestite pirate. Classic in the making.
December 10, 2016
Stardust is an emotionally retarded, mentally off-kilter, and physically cheap career deviation for talented director Matthew Vaughn.
December 3, 2016
it's just original and brilliant
November 29, 2016
When you think of the typical love story, not many would think of the 2007 hit Stardust directed by Matthew Vaughn. This heart-wrenching love tale is about a young man and woman who happen to meet in the most unexpected event. They fall in love on their journey home while they face many obstacles that seem to be never-ending. Take a seat, get some popcorn and get ready for your heart to throb in this movie about why love beats all.
This movie stardust is all about a love story between an unlikely few. It all starts with a young man, Tristan, who is born between a common English man and a princess. He sets out on a journey to capture a fallen start for a maiden he is trying to pursue, but there is a catch, he must bring the star back by her birthday in a week. Meanwhile, across "the wall" just a few miles from Tristan's small village, a kingdom is facing the end of an era, the king has died. The king tells his sons that whoever of his royal blood finds his necklace first, will become the next king., and off flies the necklace into the skies. The necklace hits a star in the heavens and down shoots the star. Now, back to Tristan, he wishes on a candle to be wherever the star may be, and woosh he vanishes. He winds up in a crater, with a young girl and a necklace. He is in shock when he finds out the girl is in fact the star. They face sward fights, flying ships, and witches along his journey home to his beloved Victoria and his the girl, his star. The whole journey they face the horrifying fact that, many have set out to get the girl because whoever eats the heart of a star has everlasting life. The movie ends with the evil witches kidnapping the star away from Tristan, just as he has pronounced to her that he has fallen in love with her. He races away to save her, and kills the witch in an unnerving battle. The ending comes to a close with Tristan being named the new king, because as we discussed in the beginning, his mom was a princess and he has royal blood. They two fall in love, and live happily ever after.
I strongly recommend this movie, and in fact I might go, as far as to say it might be a favorite. Not only was it a timeless love story with lovable characters, but it also had comedy as well has thrilling and frightening scenes. The acting was captivating, and there were some big name actors like Claire Danes and Robert De Niro. However, one of my favorite characteristics was the music score of the film. I appreciate a good composition, and boy did Stardust deliver. After countless battles and a long journey to find love it was clear a major theme of this movie was that love endures, beats, and thrives above all.
Overall, Stardust is a great movie to watch when you're bored, lonely, sad, happy, really whenever because it has a little something for everyone. This movie is a great movie to just sit down and watch, and you should because it was immensely entertaining.
October 28, 2016
Great adventure and lots of fun
October 13, 2016
Maybe the strangest movie I've ever seen, but its fun and the soundtrack is amazing
October 6, 2016
From an emotional standpoint, "Stardust" feels rather confined by its standard fairytale plot, yet remains a charming adventure bolstered by the eye-popping visuals and the strong cast, which features a deliciously out-of-character Robert De Niro.
½ October 5, 2016
I put this film up there with other classics like Princess Bride and Willow. Must-have for any family film collection.