Stardust - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stardust Reviews

½ March 11, 2018
Is it weird that the one thing that really sticks out about Stardust is that one of the small subplots involves Daredevil and Superman getting into an argument? Well, I guess that's not entirely the case, but a young Charlie Cox and Henry Cavill essentially fighting each other probably would have been more than enough to please me. Stardust is far more than a simple love story or fairy tale, it's irreverent and oozing with genre fun. Oh and you also have an extraordinarily gifted cast across the board.

Films aren't really made like this anymore. It's so hard to come by a big budgeted/genre film with a lighthearted tone and with this type of humor. You could see it on TV, or perhaps in the 1980's, but good fantasy films are so disappointingly rare these days. The closest could perhaps be something like the Kingsman movies (which Matthew Vaughn also directed), but even those could just be labeled as success due to comic-book background.

But the pure fantasy adventure is surely something cinema's could use a little bit more of these days. If movies can get actors like Robert De Niro to do some of the ridiculous things he does in this movie, then I think we have a winning formula. But in all seriousness, Charlie Cox, Claire Danes, Michele Pfeiffer, Henry Cavill, De Niro, and Sienna Miller make for a fantastic ensemble cast of witches, Kings, a star (?), and one special prince to make for a thrilling adventure.

March 10, 2018
A creative, feel-good fantasy./ROMANCE FLICK.
½ February 4, 2018
Clever at the point of mix funny scenes with the dark athmosphere, innovative bringing to us a new fantastic world view, prettily acted with a lot of suspense and unpredictable narrative. One of the best fantasy movies ever made, It could have been the best if weren't some insignificant flaws caused because of the "flower of protection".
January 30, 2018
one of the favorite movies!
January 15, 2018
Sorry. Can't rate this fairy tale very highly. Corny, silly, pointless.
December 20, 2017
One of the all time great surprises in cinema history, fun, fun, fun, great music, black comedy, awesome cast, clever story, love the dead brothers , Michelle pieffer magnificent, mark strong early in his career fantastic, Robert de Niro what can I say, classic lines to remember a girl called Bernard , goat innkeeper classic, love it , family favourite
½ November 14, 2017
Not a very good movie in general
November 2, 2017
One of my favourite movies...
October 9, 2017
BEST MOVIE EVER. you have it all here great fantasy, romance, comedy and action. i love it :)
½ September 29, 2017
really liked this was different had the princess bride feel to it
½ September 28, 2017
Wasn't expecting much from this film but ended up loving it, Great cast and story and very well done but the ending was a big let down though but kids will like it and it also appeals to the adult audience too.
½ September 2, 2017
very surprised by this movie, thumbs up
August 27, 2017
Just a lil' too cheesy
August 25, 2017
Intriguing plot driven by mystical, humorous adventures. However the storyline is somewhat lackluster and cheesy.
July 29, 2017
One of my all-time faves. Great cast - from the main characters down to the smaller role (goat man Billy is amazing!). A joyous romp into the fantasy genre with great scenery, humour, suspense and the expected glorious denouement.
July 7, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: It was clear from 'Layer Cake' that director Michael Vaughn had the gift of a certain gab and a real snappiness behind the camera, and perhaps unsurprisingly what an adaptation of Neil Gaiman's 'Stardust' manages to do is to give all that quirky brilliance a shell with equal personality. Yes here we really do get a quirky and human adventure that constantly walks the line between delivering wonder and emotion, and down-right hilarity - all with astounding prowess.
That really is an impressive feat, and in a way it could be argued that - much like in the film's source material - the engagement to be had wouldn't be there without the garish whit and personality brought by the sheer extent of almost-satyrical fantasy. In Vaughn's adaptation, the job is done silmontaneously with a bouyant and brilliant cast who bring their characters to life with a serious undertone and yet a bubbling madness, as well as hugely over-exaggerated yet equally wonderous visuals and humour that never fail to catch you off gaurd as much as they equally fascinate.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: There's no getting away from it - it's absolutely ridiculous. And whilst it should be (and thank god it doesn't take itself too seriously) that doesn't mean the film transcends particularly far to unlock proper emotion... or indeed much actual laughter.
VERDICT: 'Stardust' is just mad - mad that it engages, mad that it's so fun, and mad that it works. Basically then, in his second directorial attempt, Matthew Vaugh has done a very, very good job indeed.
June 29, 2017
Reminded me of Princess Bride but more quirky. Nothing not to like here.
April 16, 2017
It's wonderful. It is par to Princess Bride.
½ February 18, 2017
Based on a graphic novel (though I've only read the non-graphic version) by Neil Gaiman, I actually found this to be surprisingly faithful to its source. Having said that, it does veer off on its own tangent towards the end.

I'm also not sure about Ricky Gervais role in the proceedings: felt he was shoe-horned in too much, just because of who he was. While I also know others who were, shall we say, less-than-impressed by the role Robert de Niro also played, I actually felt this was a good move on his part as it shows a less serious side to his chacacter.

if you like 'Princess Bride' or 'Time Bandits', I think you'd like this.
½ February 6, 2017
It's good movie to watch