Stardust Memories - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stardust Memories Reviews

October 3, 2016
Homenaje de Allen a 8 1/2, belleza Charlotte Rampling.
½ August 12, 2016
Many of Woody Allen's movies have been introspective and autobiographical, yet this is the most introspective and autobiographical of all of them. Incredibly layered and complex, probably too much so. Still contains the usual Allen wit and clever dialogue, but toned down to be more serious. Truly captures the spirit of a director at a crossroads, and a quandary over where his true direction lies.

However, as mentioned, it is overly complex. Scenes seem discontinuous and random at times. Also, if you aren't a Woody Allen fan (luckily I am one), many of the in-jokes and self-references will be lost on you.

Solid performances all round, especially as the roles would have been difficult to play, considering the complexity of the script. As always, Woody Allen gets to play himself, though this time the character is actually himself.

Probably the least accessible Woody Allen movie, but definitely worth the watch if you are a fan.
June 7, 2016
Not my favourite of Allen's films. The brief alien encounter provides the most coherent and funniest moment. The rest felt a bit too all over the place.
½ February 6, 2016
woody allen in charlotte rampling ile filmi, 8.5 filmine selam çakm?? yorumu doru, pek begenmedim ama nedense..
½ January 28, 2016
Fairly different but progressive at the time for Woody. Good stuff.
Rewatched and you have to keep in mind this is a film within a film in disguise.
December 30, 2015
This is one of Allen's films that increases in my estimation over the years. I think it's tempting to directly identify Sandy Bates with Allen and treat this film as Allen complaining about audiences and their lack of appreciation for his more serious films. The problem is that that's a super lazy reading of the film and not one really supported by what's on screen. The film is ultimately fairly critical of Bates's more morbid obsessions and comes down on the side of comedy being an important relief from life's hardships. (You know, while this is often classified as Allen's "8 1/2", it ultimately plays a bit more like his "Sullivan's Travels".)
½ December 3, 2015
I hadn't seen this in about 20 years and it was a treat to see again - much better than I remember.
November 23, 2015
Even though it left you wondering about it all, I still enjoyed its commentary on allen's perspective on life as a celebrity.
½ November 11, 2015
In addition to being Woody Allen's most underrated movie, "Stardust Memories" is also his most artistic. Allen has good reason to consider this film among his best.
½ September 30, 2015
Brillant. Simply put, brilliant.
½ September 5, 2015
Allen's homage to 8 1/2 works on some levels, but I found my mind wandering. I liked the critic/fan scenes, where they constantly refer to his earlier funny movies, and of course the homages to 8 1/2. Other than that, it was only okay.
July 7, 2015
A perfectly executed look into Woody Allen fan's mixed feelings.
½ June 12, 2015
Is it hopelessly mean-spirited, nihilistic, pessimistic, defeatist and indulgent? Possibly. Is it one of Woody Allen's most heartfelt and artistically rich films in a catalogue full of triumphs? God yes.
½ June 3, 2015
Beware - very boring, very Allen at his most pretentious.
½ February 23, 2015
A surreal black & white film about Sandy Baker, a successful filmmaker who attends his career retrospective at a seaside hotel for the weekend. There he encounters fans, critics, ex-girlfriends & aliens.
"They want laughs in Kansas City, they been working in the wheat fields all day."
This film plays out as a dreamy meta-commentary on success within creativity. Influenced by Fellini, Allen is besieged with celebrity requests for autographs and opinions from a collective oddity of human beings, all with the strangest faces. He wanders into abandoned dance halls and gazebos on the shoreline discussing his work, with constant interruption from the unhinged mass who speak with anxiety & adoration.
"I would trade that oscar for one more second of life."
I first saw this movie in 2006 and enjoyed it. Upon 2nd viewing I now love it for removing narrative and focusing on the emotional truth that comes with an overwhelming situation. This feels like a new period for the director with total freedom within his creativity. His first movie without Diane Keaton since 1972, look for cameos from Laraine Newman, Daniel Stern & Sharon Stone.
½ December 27, 2014
It has an "8 1/2" feel to it but with the light-hearted, Allensque trademarks. One of Woody's best
½ November 12, 2014
Review:
This film felt more like a series of sketches than a whole movie. The storyline is all over the place and I didn't have a clue what was going on most of the time, but I understood the main concept which was that the popular filmmaker is fed up with the critics questioning his work and his love life is a right mess. Basically, it's your usual Woody Allen movie, were he uses every chance to get his leg over. As this movie was made in the early 80's, I can actually imagine Woody Allen's life being like it is in the movie, with the paparazzi constantly on his tale, fans asking for autograph and many beautiful women on his tale but it eventually leads to him losing the plot. He eventually becomes tired of making funny movies and I have actually witnessed this after watching a lot of his movies. He seems to sway from comedy to drama through his career so he obviously had this problem in his real life. Anyway, the film is funny in parts but the storyline is sketchy. Watchable!

Round-Up:
After watching a few of Woody Allen's movies, I'm beginning to see a pattern with the box office takings, which isn't that great. He only started to make serious money when he decided to stick to writing and directing, which must have been a tough decision because he seems to be the main character in most of his earlier projects. He still adds some of his warped sense of his humour to his latter scripts, but he doesn't have that million words per minute, annoying humour, which I saw in some of the scenes in this movie. At the end of the day, this is a watchable movie which is better than some of his latter projects, but I'm still struggling to understand the mind behind his work.

Budget: $10million
Worldwide Gross: $10.3million

I recommend this movie to people who are into there Woody Allen movies about a popular director who is going through a nervous breakdown because of the pressure of being a comedy genius and his constant problems with relationships. 5/10
October 25, 2014
It's brilliant, funny, sad, crazy, insightful and completely, ground-breakingly original. Just pure genius. Woody Allen at his absolute best. I still can't believe that the movie was panned when it first came out -- the only thing I can figure is that it was simply way ahead of its time in its honest depiction of what it is truly like to be a celebrity. The cinematic references to Fellini and Bergman and are hysterical. The cinematography is gorgeous.Woody Allen's too self-absorbed? I thought that was what he did best! From the opening scene to the end, this movie is full of great, funny scenes and odd, memorable characters. This is a short, very powerful comedy, and it's near the top of the list for consistent Woody-Allen laughs.
September 29, 2014
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 14, 2014
Fantastic film. I loved it. It was very interesting, romantic, and even had a few funny parts. It was a very good movie.