Starship Troopers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Starship Troopers Reviews

July 20, 2016
I have mixed feelings about this movie. It's drastically different from the incredibly thoughtful and intellectual novel that shares its name, but it borrows some of the interesting portions of the novel and wraps them in that Paul Verhoeven satire that is so enjoyable. The serious nature of the original content is at odds with the irony of the film. Despite these conflicting feelings, I still decently enjoy the film.
July 14, 2016
Pretty awesome this film
July 6, 2016
Director, Paul Verhoeven (RoboCop, Total Recall) Brings us a viciously entertaining sci-fi action film, about killer mutant space bugs. very graphic and gross, but very action packed and awesome.
½ June 28, 2016
Has absolutely nothing in common with the classic novel. Tries to turn an alternative Democratic system into fascism, thereby completely missing Henline's point. Tries to claim entire culture is about the military when that was only one aspect of the book. The writer, producer, and director need to learn reading compression.
June 27, 2016
Youngsters fight nasty alien bugs in this funny but action packed sci-fi pic.
June 5, 2016
Brilliant film I loved it, Better than most that have tried to do films like this, Great action and just all round fun if you can ignore some poor acting.
½ May 26, 2016
Carries this general feel of campiness, and looks terribly dated.
½ May 19, 2016
On the surface, this is a mindless, fast-paced, gory popcorn movie. You can watch it as such, and you can definitely enjoy it as such. It is laced with a deeper meaning, though, and if you care to understand, that an any war, the enemy is always the "insects", it gains a much more sinister and philosophical meaning. I honestly think Verhoeven understands the fascist tones of the book and plays on them in a tongue-in-cheek manner.
½ April 27, 2016
2016-04-27 silly but lots of action and not bad except for the misnamed 'administrative punishment'.
½ April 20, 2016
A satirical and juvenile sci fi film with some touch of body horror
½ April 18, 2016
The action and special effects are really good. The story is a little weak but works for this type of movie. The characters are interesting and fun. Overall, it is a very enjoyable movie.
March 27, 2016
despite not being totally faithful to the book, leaving out a lot of important plots (such as armours), it's a pretty awesome adaptation.
½ March 26, 2016
Grade: A-
Rating: 8.5/10
½ March 26, 2016
Watch it before it's removed from Netflix.
March 24, 2016
Magnificent special effects and full of blood and guts, Starship Troopers is an instant cult classic.
March 24, 2016
5/5 Starship Troopers works both as a sci-fi adventure packed with entertainment value, or a dark satire with even more to dissect. It's thrilling, funny, disturbing, unsettling and way beyond what I could have expected.
March 21, 2016
It works if you see it as a piece of art that fuses both the high brow and low brow, in Verhoeven's style, it also works as a popular science fiction action film but if you ponder the explicit and implicit satire and themes in the film it becomes something much more serious and sublime. One of his classics, that stands well next to Robocop and Total Recall!
March 12, 2016
I will be blunt; this is one of the most entertaining action movies I've seen. In terms of trying to get an "anti-fascism/war is bad" message across, THAT got lost in a film that is very chaotic in nature. I'm watching this now and I STILL can't get that message. This is really not the kind of movie that you try to get a "war is bad" message through, since it's like driving through the Antarctic in a limo. It doesn't make sense to try that. Plus Ed Neumeier (who actually plays the guy who was sentenced to death by the trio of judges partway through the film) wrote the "anti-fascism" message to be way too subtle. It really does come off the exact opposite of what he'd wanted.

Still, I have a good time. The costuming and designs are all top-notch, and actually, the CGI was cutting-edge for 1997. The design is top of the line, and it's a lot of fun. That's what movies are for.
March 11, 2016
Okay, the characters are a little generic, but my enjoyment of this film doesn't derive from the characters, but the satire. The satire isn't played too heavy-handed, but they show just enough of it to get a grasp on it, and not shove it down your throat. This film is good, watch it. Now.
February 22, 2016
A movie whose devious cleverness is still misunderstood by many and outright dismissed by idiots, and there are a fair few of them walking around. It aligns American fascism with Nazi propagandized hatred and asks "whats the real difference"? look closely at the pro military news reels (recreating exactly old nazi propaganda news reels) the perfect Aryan leads, the officers uniforms (the most explicit reference) and the movie's constant refrain's of "the only good bug is a dead bug" or "not much to look at when you scrape them off your boot" start to take on a disturbing shade and leave a strange, bitter aftertaste to all the gory splatter carnage. Indeed, what do the bugs actually do in the first place? the Americans are the bad guys here, mindlessly ploughing ahead, destroying an enemy with thoughtless hatred, with this in mind the next time you hear Johnny Rico shout "I SAY KILL EM ALL"! takes on an unpleasant dimension. That it also is on top of that an astonishingly realized, epic, sci-fi action, horror thriller with some of the greatest visual effects in film history, buckets of gore, hilarious black comedy and an often affecting, purposefully cheesy soap opera romance mixed in makes it a masterpiece, a brilliantly spiteful and blackly satiric masterpiece.