Starship Troopers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Starship Troopers Reviews

March 23, 2017
Wooden acting, corny dialogue, cheesy alien-bug adversaries that are simultaneously frightening. All of it intentional, including the poor actors who fit the bill perfectly for what is aaled of them. What isn't there to like? Everyone in 'Starship Troopers' is clearly having such a fun time that it just works. The special effects still hold up well today, and it has a memorable soundtrack and an appropriately chosen song, 'Fade Into You' by Mazzy Star'. And the Blu-Ray A/V quality is top draw. Sit back, relax,switch off your brain, and enjoy this awesome sci-fi action adventure flick. 5/5*
March 20, 2017
The animated TV series was better. Some good ideas but pretty lacklustre
½ February 19, 2017
Political satire at its best, a Paul Verhoeven classic.
½ February 18, 2017
reminds me of Tremors but crazier. Enjoyable.
February 13, 2017
Buried beneath the cheesy romance and horrendous violence is political satire. The soldiers are all products of a brainwashed society where continuing the fight is what drives them. They don't think for themselves. They don't see their enemy as anything more than evil. They even are given a chance for redemption, but they don't learn anything. They continue the fight. In that manner, this is a very depressing film.
February 8, 2017
The best movie ever made by man
February 3, 2017
Great B grade type movie solid story and cast - can watch over and over.
½ January 27, 2017
Cheesy sci-fi with huge bugs.
½ January 19, 2017
Really corny but enjoyable.
January 11, 2017
This film is one of my favourites. Those people moaning that it doesn't accurately portray the book have a point, but they are completely missing the point of the film.

It's a loud, fast, action packed, ridiculous fun romp with some great comedy and a faint haze of satire in the background.

If you want to be challenged by a film, steer clear but I enjoy this one every time I watch it. A great and unintentionally hilarious sci-fi.
January 7, 2017
Starship Troopers will entertain any fan of gory, mindless alien action from the 90's, who can get pass wooden acting and 90's clichés about space and the future.
December 22, 2016
Good movie. Great acting. Amazing effects. Unique story. Just awesome!
½ December 19, 2016
Paul Verhoeven vastly underrated and highly entertaining science fiction flick defined my adolescent years with a raw vision of how our most basic instincts define our choices and behaviors. One of those rare movies that functions as both easy popcorn fare as well as sharp satire.

4 1/2 stars
½ December 2, 2016
Super cheesy stupidity.
October 10, 2016
Paul Verhoeven doesn't make subtle or challenging movies. He throws everything at the screen and then some making brash, loud and OTT popcorn movies that are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. Taking as it's source a story buy the science fiction stalwart, Robert Heinlein, Verhoeven's Starship Troopers is a satirical look at militarism and fascism. It follows the story of a group of rookie recruits to a future military regime engaged in an interplanetary war with a race of giant arthropods. I love this movie. It is just so preposterous and violent with each character a cliché-riddled cardboard cutout. It is pretty much non-stop action and much of it gory and graphically violent. This was one of the first movies I remember that convincingly managed to merge live action with large scale CGI creations. Even today, the various "Bugs" that appear on the screen look terrific and the hordes of them that constantly overrun the human forces make for some exciting scenes. This is such a ridiculous movie and it knows it too. At times, darkly comic and morally questionable, it is a massive slice of hokum that just finds the line and crosses right over it without any sense of shame or embarrassment. Perfect viewing if you want to veg out and watch some mindless violence and turn the volume up loud.
½ September 20, 2016
It's a fun satire that feels strangely relevant in 2016....
½ September 11, 2016
This film is so hyped amongst sci-fi fans that I expected a lot better. The acting is bad and the story is ridiculous, even for a sci-fi. The effects are probably the best thing about this film. I shalln't be running out to watch the sequels.
½ September 10, 2016
Can someone please explain to me why Michael Ironside is always losing an arm? Thanks.
August 16, 2016
A game changer in the sci-fi genre, it's legacy is is actively to this day. Aliens may have conceived the idea of the 'space marine' but this film made it everywhere in sci-fi.