Starship Troopers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Starship Troopers Reviews

February 15, 2018
A typical "trash movie classic". Stays true to its militaristic and almost fascist origin, and mocks it a little bit. One star goes to Denise Richards... *sigh*
February 15, 2018
A "almost trash movie classic" with a fantastic collection of plot holes. One star for Denise Richards, who could fight, and smile after being stabbed by a bug.
February 10, 2018
good for the genre, fun & campy
February 8, 2018
Cult classic sci-fi (heavily underrated)
February 7, 2018
One of the best action sci-fi out there
January 20, 2018
Watchable & entertaining, but basically terrible
½ January 19, 2018
18012: This movie is just so bad.
January 15, 2018
Starship Troopers wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be, which was strangely disappointing. The special effects actually hold up pretty well, but the story and acting feel like they're straight out of a Syfy original movie-but with a bigger budget for blood & gore. It's amazing how 90s the future is!
January 5, 2018
Cannibal Holocaust has excessive gore! Starship troopers is a social commentary featuring great examples of propaganda, bad acting, gratuitous nudity, well actually nudity that makes a veiled point, visually spectacular funny movie. Federation experts agree: this movie is 5 stars; Watch it if you are patriotic! only REAL americans watch STARSHIP TROOPERS!
½ January 4, 2018
A fun space adventure filled with some commentary about war, as well as some memorable characters and action sequences.

3.5/5 stars
November 15, 2017
People DO NOT remember how good this movie is.
It's INSANE how well it holds up.
November 4, 2017
Don?t take life too seriously.....
October 20, 2017
Director, Paul Verhoeven (RoboCop, Total Recall) Brings us a viciously entertaining sci-fi action film, about killer mutant space bugs. very graphic and gross, but very action packed and awesome.
½ October 8, 2017
As always, well-looked humans are more monstrous than the ugly aliens, if not more Fascist.
October 4, 2017
the most sozialistite the movie I know, with a future should see the Karl Marx,
as the film itself is not the best thing you knows that, or expect from science fiction
but this strong humanism, family cohesion in the army or the total human-demonitoring of the enemies and even more makes "Starship Troopers" is not a movie but a journey, an experience ever, a question to a person, a mirror of you ....
also in short CULT !!!
½ September 29, 2017
loved this has more depth than u would think a lot of under the radar messaging
September 28, 2017
its a 90's movie, so when you look at it you have to see it from that perspective. albeit no where near the greatest movie of all time still a damn good movie and if you have never seen it definitely worth a watch.
September 24, 2017
A must have in 4k see this film again you won't be disappointed!
September 23, 2017
Really, really funny.

Starship Troopers works both as a great sci-fi actioner, and also as a fantastic satire of many things, among them being fascism, American foreign policy, militarism, and above all, it's very own source material. The great thing about this movie is that while you may not like it the first time you watch it, the more you think about it, the more the reason for it's puzzlingly bad acting and excessive gore become clear. It is making fun of it's own genre. Think Ender's Game, but instead of Ender going off to repent for what he has done, extreme patriotism leads the soldiers to reward themselves for their hostile efforts with more war.
This film exhibits lines like a news reporter saying "some say the bugs were provoked by the intrusion of humans into their natural habitat. That a live and let live policy more preferable than the war with the bugs." To which our hero, who has pretty much given in to the war and propaganda says "I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!" Showing how humans would react to something like that as a result of their actions.
The imagery used in the propaganda that the audiences are shown is subtle, but it really drives the point home if you get the joke. The over the top gore and violence isn't merely some dudes fascination, but is instead used to show the horrors that may come from our aggressive actions, and the fact that a peaceful species retaliating causes us to try to destroy them shows the state of our governments, and is still a topical plot point to this day.
While no one knows the intentions of the original novel's fascist imagery to the letter, many speculate that it is promoting it instead of satirizing it, and this movie takes aim at it's own source material, a gutsy move that not many studios would want to attempt, in fear that they would alienate the core audience. But, this movie does so with gusto, and in doing so, comes out on top as a winner. I would highly recommend it, because even if you don't quite get the massive joke that is this movie's premise, the special effects aren't even half bad by today's standards, utilizing creature effects when possible to make some truly terrifying, brain sucking, fire spitting foes for our not-so-heroic heroes, and the fight scenes are actually pretty cool to look at, even if they don't have many of the elements from the novel such as the power suits.
September 19, 2017