Stateside - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stateside Reviews

½ December 9, 2015
I liked it was a good movie
July 8, 2013
Good film about two young people who have a lot to overcome before they can be together, told without romantic sentimentality, but very effectively.
July 23, 2012
A very good film. It was so underated but a must see.
June 8, 2011
This movie is now on my (short) favorite movie of all time list. Johnathan Tucker and Rachael Leigh Cook are delightful as two lost souls who find completion in each other. A modern day Romeo and Juliet - but with a very different ending. Val Kilmer was terrific as the hazzing drill sargent.

Ladies, this movie is proof that you should not listen to critics! What do they know about romance! Personally, I'm going to be watching this one again and again.
½ April 10, 2011
though i enjoyed it a lot & mildly hit close to home, i think it could have been a lot more intense- plot, dialogue & character development.
March 19, 2011
As Dori, a pop singer suffering from schizophrenia with the hots for a Marine (Jonathan Tucker, great) Rachel Leigh Cook does some of her most interesting work ever. Her love for the Marine hits roadblocks though, both in the form of her illness and Tucker's drill-instructor (Val Kilmer). Writer-director Reverge Anselmo does well with actors, particularly Agnes Bruckner as Sue, who takes pride in her blow job skills, but Anselmo, basing his script on true events, overloads things with way too many plots. It flies off the rails quite easily, and sinks to soap opera levels. Sad.
February 8, 2011
its like" the notebook" meets" girl, interrupted". Would definitely reccommend!
September 17, 2010
Ok romance-drama about two crazy teens [one of them is literally crazy] who fall in love while one is in the Marine Corp. I must say that some of the dialogue between the two main characters was very weird but beautifully poetic in a way.Perhaps this film brought out the sappiness in me. Good performances by Jonathan Tucker, Rachel Leigh Cook [especially], Agnes Bruckner, Val Kilmer, Joe Mantegna, Ed Begley Jr., and Diane Venora. Overall it's somewhat entertaining and worth a watch despite it not being particularly good.
½ May 28, 2010
"But love, sometimes what a hindrance? Problems such as this are manifold..."
½ April 15, 2010
After I saw this movie several months ago from insta-view on NF, I became a big fan of suckiness (the cool kind). Of course though, I am a sucker for girls who sing and play guitar, but this film had me longing for something unique and quirky in a relationship, not just infatuation or lust.
February 14, 2010
the movie is much more realist than today's youth and critic's know.The story parellels,the experience of my youthful friends in 1960,especially the experience in the Marine Corp.
½ January 23, 2010
This movie is different. There are no special effects, no twists, no high action scenes, nothing sensational. It's just a story. It's kind of a love story; but there's not even a lot of romance to it. Its straightforwardness is what gives this movie character.
½ January 20, 2010
I really liked this movie and true story movies are always good to watch because they have more meaning. A feel good movie you should see
December 14, 2009
I love the story-line and the characters.
½ November 5, 2009
This movie blows!!!!!
½ August 7, 2009
I think that this is a good film. The accuracy of the sets, costumes and music to time period was well orchestrated. Jonathon Tucker is a good actor that deserves more roles to show off his fantastic skills. I have always loved Rachel Leigh Cook and she shines as the crazy Dorri. I think it is worth a watch.
½ June 4, 2009
Cute/sweet in a quirky kind of way. Went in a direction I didn't expect. My first time seeing Rachael Leigh Cook in anything - she was prety good.
May 10, 2009
A very good love story!
½ January 28, 2009
good acting, nice story; though the way it is told was a bit hmmm...
January 27, 2009
The dialogue was bizarre.