Steel Magnolias - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Steel Magnolias Reviews

May 26, 2017
A culturally rich portrayal of the middle class American South that tugs on the heart strings and gives chick-flick uplift.
December 23, 2016
This bittersweet drama has a very nice cast and deserves credit for making us laugh and cry at the same time even in its most melodramatic scenes, but the film's last seven minutes are simply awful and should have been excised from it without any mercy.
December 20, 2016
This is a good movie. The message is to support your friends.
September 3, 2016
A refreshingly different portrayal of women in film.
August 11, 2016
This movie has such a wonderful heartfelt sincerity. I loved all the characters and quickly became emotionally invested in their lives. This movie is guaranteed to invoke a massive cry session in my house.
Definitely a favorite "chick-flick"!
May 1, 2016
Steel Magnolias' star-studded cast unsuccessfully tries to cover up a predictable, unfunny and manipulative tearjerker that deliberately doubts the audience's capacity to see through its false feminism.
April 10, 2016
That's truly inspirational movie! Loved it!
½ March 24, 2016
Awww old southern community. It is an intoxicating idea. Field. MacLaine. Dukakis. They don't make em like them anymore.
½ February 14, 2016
A memorable late 80s drama.
½ February 9, 2016
another f-in lost review i have since the '80's loved this chick flick like 1939's 'the women' has all star casts and amazing performances
½ January 25, 2016
"Steel Magnolias" utilizes its stellar cast to great effect, resulting in a powerfully emotional experience for the audience to behold. Although, the narrative may seem a bit small and thin, the delightful humor and chemistry between leads allows the film to achieve something much higher. Though no tears were shed here, the film is certainly poignant and rife with memorability.
January 10, 2016
Beautifully moving movie with bits of comedy. Worthy watch
½ January 10, 2016
was dragged by a chick to this iconic chick flick. The debut, as far as i know, of Julia Roberts, strikingly young and beautiful, as Shelby.
January 5, 2016
Darn good movie!! Love me some Julia Roberts!
½ September 2, 2015
Un raro salto del ambiente telefilme a película cuyo mayor valor es ser testigo de la brusca transición de los 80 al cine de los 90 en guionización, actuación y sobre todo objetivos.

Personalmente, me parece una manera de llevar la vida repulsiva.
July 5, 2015
Such an emotional movie. For ages 14+
½ July 1, 2015
"Steel Magnolias" was a decent chick flick but did not even come close to its reputation. I have long heard that this was THE chick flick but lacked the great love story and comedy that I have come to expect. I don't want to discount Julia Roberts' performance because she delivers a broad spectrum of emotions with veteran poise. I was disappointed in Sally Field at first, but her subtle start gives her somewhere to grow until she reaches the amazing climax of her performance. Unfortunately, the rest of the cast falls short. Dolly Parton, Olympia Dukakis, and Shirley MacLaine were completely underutilized in the story, Daryl Hannah was pretty "eh..." and none of the men left much of an impression. I do love the southern atmosphere that is captured on-screen. The story was interesting but the ratio of comedy-to-drama was way too heavy on the drama side. I am sure that I will really enjoy "Steel Magnolias" next time now that my expectation has been set so low, but I can think of dozens of chick flicks that I would rank higher than this one.
June 7, 2015
Deeply emotional, it's an overlooked comedy-drama about life and death.
½ May 31, 2015
Very old school with how things work out in the end and glossed over some difficult times, but was very heart warming.

I started out not really looking Shelby or the new hair dresser, but Shelby turned out to be a stronger and more fleshed out character than I'd originally thought.