Steel Magnolias - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Steel Magnolias Reviews

April 22, 2019
So well done with humor and truth.
February 22, 2019
Ive watched time n time again. Absolutely my favorite
January 26, 2019
Outstanding cast and performance
November 8, 2018
One of my all time favorites.
½ September 26, 2018
Really funny film that also brings you to tears. So good.
July 8, 2018
As a person who has always glorified the idea of a charming southern town that values community, I thought that Steel Magnolias was a treat to watch!
Although on the surface it seems like a rather silly movie about women gossiping in a beauty parlor, the movie does a wonderful job of questioning societal norms, gender roles, and what it means to be a mother. The steady pace at which we see the our group of women foster a friendship really helps the viewer understand how important community is in facing hard times. Sally Field really set the president for worried mother, and her emotional breakdown feels so visceral and real it had me tearing up on the plane!
I think when it comes to movies about the south, it always feels a bit conflicting. The presence of black men and women is miniscuel, and there are a few shots that feel all together very aryan. It's troubling to me to watch white washed movies, but I do think that aside from race it felt like a more real idea of what a community in the south looks like in real life.
April 11, 2018
Classic cult movie!! Love it
½ February 28, 2018
the ultimate tearjerker chick-flick. I enjoyed parts of it, and I liked the fast pace of it, going from one season to the next seamlessly
February 11, 2018
Tissue please!! . . . such great performances, characters and story!
December 15, 2017
Based on a stage play, which like The Women is entirely focused on the ladies with the men in their lives never making an appearance, but only coming up in conversation. The demands of Hollywood of course mean that the cast is expanded to include the husbands and boyfriends and other people from town. Having worked backstage on a professional production of this play and becoming familiar with the dialog night after night I found this film creative in the way it expands the locations too. From a one room play with every bit of gossip and discussion happening in Truvy's beauty salon to the naturalism of seeing the whole Louisiana town. The ensemble of six talented women (Field, Parton, MacLaine, Hannah, Dukakis, and Roberts) bring the perfect mix of drama and comedy to this narrative.
November 24, 2017
The nicest movie! Love, heartbreak, friendship, sisterhood!
November 19, 2017
Iconic cast and a pro-feminist favorite.
November 17, 2017
The ultimate chick flick for all time - and a true story written for the stage by the Julia Roberts' character's brother and set in their actual charming Louisiana hometown. Chick flick? Yes. But the performances make the film enjoyable for all - and beautifully scored by the very fine Georges Delerue. This film has made $100M on what likely was a modest budget, the film requiring no constructed sets. Sally Field is in "Norma Rae" form as the movie captures the eclectic eccentric central & southern Louisiana anthroposphere. This one's a gem - and increasingly a classic. | ~ Norm de Guerre
October 31, 2017
This movie was okay, but it felt like it was way too long. The characters were okay, but not always interesting. I liked Julia Roberts performance the most. I know this is one of the popular "chick-flick" entries of the 80's, but it was just average to me.
May 26, 2017
A culturally rich portrayal of the middle class American South that tugs on the heart strings and gives chick-flick uplift.
December 23, 2016
This bittersweet drama has a very nice cast and deserves credit for making us laugh and cry at the same time even in its most melodramatic scenes, but the film's last seven minutes are simply awful and should have been excised from it without any mercy.
December 20, 2016
This is a good movie. The message is to support your friends.
September 3, 2016
A refreshingly different portrayal of women in film.
August 11, 2016
This movie has such a wonderful heartfelt sincerity. I loved all the characters and quickly became emotionally invested in their lives. This movie is guaranteed to invoke a massive cry session in my house.
Definitely a favorite "chick-flick"!