Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stone Reviews

June 12, 2016
solid acting but the pacing is god awful in this movie took 2 nights to watch
½ May 31, 2016
Ok movie but very wired and slow
½ February 22, 2016
A great cast, but the story is not nearly as interesting as expected.
½ October 25, 2015
Fine Mystery-movie with a good cast ! De Niro with Mila , De Niro with Edward fine acting again ! The ending just keeps me with a couple of questions ...but so have the actors ! My 35 De Niro Movie ...SOMDVD
½ August 29, 2015
It starts off in one direction. Than the story goes in another. Than at the end back to the beginning. Is that the only radio station in Detroit? If you can't stand it . Change it
May 22, 2015
This is a fairly underrated film. You'd think it'd be the perfect film due to the fact that some of Hollywood's most talented shine here (or attempted to). De Niro can make virtually anything worth watching, and this film is no exception to the rule. It's a decent thriller with some nice twists, gets a little slow and strange at times, possibly even boring as some, if you're like me, expected more action, never really got it. But, the film is still in my opinion watchable merely for the dialogue between De Niro, and Norton.
April 6, 2015
This film is a case where the performances carry the film. Norton being the stand out with a character he vaguely played before, this film suffers from a weak script with too many metaphors that unsuccessfully try to drive home it's religious meaning throughout. I cautiously recommend this film for the performances, plus it's good to see De Niro and Norton in their first film together since "The Score", too bad this film wasn't nearly as good as the latter. C-
February 22, 2015
Well that was disappointing
January 31, 2015
As always, Norton keeps your attention with every second that he is on screen. It is interesting watching the characters parallel each other, especially when one has a profession which forces him to judge others no matter how flawed he already is.
January 16, 2015
Stopped watching after ~45 mins. Norton was great tho, as always.
½ October 12, 2014
If only one character in Stone reacted as someone in his position would to the preposterous situation at hand, the movie would be 15 minutes long
September 20, 2014
Stone features a strong cast, who help make the film watchable. But the film isn't as interesting as it should be.
August 15, 2014
It was ok, good story!
July 24, 2014
Looks Like an intresing movie can't wait!!!
½ July 14, 2014
A relatively good movie, albeit forgettable, that is ultimately undone by it's heavy-handedness.
June 19, 2014
I felt I'd seen something important, but I had to research RT to understand what. I think the acting was sensational, though I agree that Jovovich was too broad in her flirtatioushness. Painful. Confusing. Interesting.
June 5, 2014
Slow as molasses. I love DeNIro and Norton. They've been in many great films and acted together in one. The only reason this film was made was them.
I liked Conroy as the neurotic mom in Six Feet Under. Stone is a slow, disjointed mess. It starts slow and ends horribly. The music drones on, lulling you to sleep. For once Netflix reviewers are right on. I was never really sure what was going on in this film. Everyone is a lost soul, part normal and part villain. Waste of a rental.
½ June 4, 2014
Monday, June 2, 2014

(2010) Stone
PSYCOLOGICAL DRAMA/ THRILLER

At the first few minutes, has a very young wife telling her young husband that she wants to leave him. He then goes berserk and runs upstairs straight to their first born child before threatening to drop it down below, telling her that if she leaves him, he's going to drop the baby down below since he won't have anything else to live for. Scared out of her wits, she reluctantly agrees, and makes a promise that she'll never leave him. Then the movie jumps several years later, and it appears that this very same couple have now aged 40 years older. The person that had once threatened to kill his first born daughter by dropping it out of the window has now grown up to be Jack Mabry played by movie veteran Robert DeNiro, and his wife is Madylyn Mabry (Frances Conroy). Jack's been working his whole life as some sort of parole officer who has the authority to grant a hearing for convicted convicts. He also happens to be close to retirement. One of those inmates he had to speak to is Gerald Creeson (Edward Norton), but nicknames himself to be called "Stone" hence the title. There's a reason why he calls himself that, and it was during this time the movie 'stalls' viewers by subjecting us to listen to this ridiculous analogy by suggesting that he is no different than Jack. Gerald even sends his young skanky girlfriend, Lucetta Creeson (Milla Jovovich) to do whatever it takes to convince Jack to grant him a hearing by not following proper protocol and just cut corners. At this point, I'm thinking how did Lucetta even get Jack's home phone number and find out where he lives in the first place? The movie never answers. We're also subjected to witness Jack's boring life, who we later find out that he only goes to church by principal, and upon listening to Bible passages quoted on the radio and on TV, he hears them but totally ignores them. His wife even made attempts to start a discussion with him about the passages and ignores her too exactly like he's been doing with her while living with him, which is why she wanted to leave him in the first place.

The director by the name of John Curran tries to convey a point to the audience, but it somehow gets lost somewhere down the line since none of the characters or it's situations are unrelatable - he does this by adding uncommon situations and expect viewers to overlook it, but you can't because it's there and is also defined as a drama movie.

2 out of 4 stars
April 16, 2014
The acting wasn't terrible. The movie was very dissapointing. It started out great in the beginning, but it went flat immediatly when the actual story started to go off. There is no suspense at all. I started watching the movie to the point when Lucetta was trying to seduce Jack. I tuned out and tuned back into the movie at the end and I could still follow the plot. I didn't have to watch the movie to know what happened. There are other movies which display such a story way better than 'Stone'.