Stone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stone Reviews

½ January 27, 2018
Stone is a well acted morality tale. Edward Norton and Milla Jovovich put in superb performances. De Niro plays a veteran parole officer tasked with reviewing the file of a con played by Edward Norton who superficially presents as an irredeemable degenerate. However, as the story progresses, the lines between right and wrong quickly blur as do the viewer's perceptions of the main characters.

Some of the criticism around this film seem to stem from the "heavy-handed symbolism." I enjoyed the theme which questioned the perceived moral superiority of conventional, establishment religion relative to subjective concepts of redemption and faith. The movie did seem to build tension that never quite resolved, but perhaps that tension was based on the viewer's preconceptions of the characters, which is ultimately what this movie asks us to challenge.
January 20, 2018
I thought this movie took a different angle that made you think, contrary to most prison movies that seem to follow a similar flavor. I thought the end would have been a bit more interesting, but overall I really enjoyed the movie.
½ January 13, 2018
Not bad, but not good either. Good performances. Ultimately, just not enough there to be a good movie.
January 9, 2018
Not as bad as critics thought it was and not as good as everyone involved thought it was. Director John Curran knows how to make a film. I was a big fan of the Painted Veil, another Edward Norton drama he also directed, and while Stone definitely comes up short as a movie, it offers up enough good to merit a watch. The acting is solid and De Niro in particular turns in one of his best/realest performances in years, but the high point of Stone is easily the dialogue. They talk a lot in this film but it is never filler even when it is heavily philosophical and doesn't directly pertain to/progress the story. Was I in love with Stone? Hell no, and was it flawed? Without question, but did it hold my attention and even evoke my emotions once or twice?... Yeah, I'd say so.
August 23, 2017
Flannery O'Conner themed plot might run deeper than some viewers can see...watch it to see how the diabolical can be more salvagable than the righteous...but that everyone is given equal opportunity to achieve enlightenment. Is this film Eckenkar propaganda? Never mind the messenger...what is the message?
May 5, 2017
A strange tale that hits some low notes but is carried out well due to very strong performances from all the leading characters. Deniro does not disappoint and Norton mesmerizes us with his character performance. Jovovich is sexy as hell in this one, as usual.
January 28, 2017
Deniro ruined this movie - he plays all his characters the same
½ January 12, 2017
A slow burn of a movie that never reaches a boil. You keep waiting for a big jolt of energy, but it never comes. Sometimes keeping things too subtle is not the right approach.
November 11, 2016
How can a movie with these actors and this story be this dreadfully boring?
½ October 17, 2016
What a disaster movie - terrible!!
October 4, 2016
Three of the best actors in my book, it's a shame the theme was a bit lost to me.
June 12, 2016
solid acting but the pacing is god awful in this movie took 2 nights to watch
½ May 31, 2016
Ok movie but very wired and slow
½ February 22, 2016
A great cast, but the story is not nearly as interesting as expected.
½ October 25, 2015
Fine Mystery-movie with a good cast ! De Niro with Mila , De Niro with Edward fine acting again ! The ending just keeps me with a couple of questions ...but so have the actors ! My 35 De Niro Movie ...SOMDVD
½ August 29, 2015
It starts off in one direction. Than the story goes in another. Than at the end back to the beginning. Is that the only radio station in Detroit? If you can't stand it . Change it
May 22, 2015
This is a fairly underrated film. You'd think it'd be the perfect film due to the fact that some of Hollywood's most talented shine here (or attempted to). De Niro can make virtually anything worth watching, and this film is no exception to the rule. It's a decent thriller with some nice twists, gets a little slow and strange at times, possibly even boring as some, if you're like me, expected more action, never really got it. But, the film is still in my opinion watchable merely for the dialogue between De Niro, and Norton.
April 6, 2015
This film is a case where the performances carry the film. Norton being the stand out with a character he vaguely played before, this film suffers from a weak script with too many metaphors that unsuccessfully try to drive home it's religious meaning throughout. I cautiously recommend this film for the performances, plus it's good to see De Niro and Norton in their first film together since "The Score", too bad this film wasn't nearly as good as the latter. C-
February 22, 2015