Stranger Than Fiction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stranger Than Fiction Reviews

October 13, 2017
One of my favourite movies. I often find myself thinking back on it. It's also the movie that throned Emma Thompson as my favourite actress.

For me, it sits amidst others like The Colour Purple, Hot Fuzz and Dirty Dancing. Simple, well told, unique pictures.
July 27, 2017
This is one of my favorite re-watch movies. I love the story and the character development. Most over the top comedy people have a role that's completely out of character and turns a good movie into a beautiful one. This movie was Will Ferrell's contribution.
July 22, 2017
Interesting and comical. Not your typical Will Ferrel movie, but it is still comical at times and heartfelt as Gyllennaal's character is touching and strong. The writing is fair, but the plot gets more interesting as things unfold for Ferrell's character. This is a story-telling movie for adults as the narrator is funny and the plot turns into a major twists.
July 6, 2017
I'm not going to argue with anyone about it. This is simply one of my favorite movies of all time.
June 17, 2017
Just rewatched one of my favorite movies. This movie was so creative and so sweet. The relationship between Harold (Will Farrell) and Ana (Maggie Gyllenhaal) is perfect.
June 10, 2017
Interesting premise that's fun to watch unfold and Will Ferrell is great but there's no real impact to the story.
June 1, 2017
Gets the message across through unbelievably, Amazingly Accurate way to get everything beautifully, meaningfully shot, how every lines matter and the the way of delivering them, and yet keeps us entertained, joyfully, till the very end, keeps us wondering about what this film truly is about, in the manner of perfectly relieved misteries. So amazing that i didn't mind watching it for the second time on the very same day, just to be amazed by how every moment was put in an extreme effort, yet seem so effortless.
June 1, 2017
Not very memorable or particularly poignant, Stranger Than Fiction will fail to stick with you.
½ May 24, 2017
Surprisingly quiet but heartfelt movie about human connection.
May 22, 2017
it's probably #101 on my list of top 100 films.
April 17, 2017
What a great surprise to realize this was "that good romance with the flours and the tax guy" I had seen years ago! But there's so much more to this movie that I didn't remember! Glad I purchased it. Just love it!
April 15, 2017
Everything mostly remains unexplained
April 14, 2017
One of my favorite movies.
April 11, 2017
This movie started out interesting and weird in the beginning, but the more you watch it the more you realize it's a good film with Romance with Maggie in it. And the story somehow gets better from there! I liked it!
January 14, 2017
I think this is one of the best movies ever made! story was really different and great. Filming was brilliant and the cast was perfect! loved it!
January 13, 2017
Great movie, great music. Will Ferrell actually can act; and even sing a little. Feel good movie that shows good guys can win.
½ January 4, 2017
Harold Crick (Will Ferrell) is an IRS agent whose mundane life is upended by an audit he's conducting on a free-spirited baker (Maggie Gyllenhaal). Unfortunately for him, Crick can hear his life being narrated by a reclusive author (Emma Thompson) who's planning to kill him off in the final chapter. Stranger Than Fiction has a terrific premise, but its metafictional underpinnings are further bolstered by dry humor, a surreal tone, and subtle performances from Ferrell, Thompson, and a supporting cast that includes good turns from Dustin Hoffman, Queen Latifah, and Tony Hale. The outre aspects of this film are wrapped in more conventional trappings, but that doesn't stop Stranger Than Fiction from being either funny or affecting.
½ December 16, 2016
Well, I'll be damned. I actually liked a movie starring Will Farrell. No, scratch that, I actually liked Will Farrell in a movie. Maggie Gyllenhaal even, I mean... What is this world coming to?!

An unexpected recommendation on my part but a fierce one nonetheless because this is a small, hidden gem of superb acting and interesting premise which, okay, doesn't always deliver and at times it verges on the contrived and the twee but... it's a Ferrell movie. And it's good!

And if you still need convincing, Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman.

There. Enjoy.
December 9, 2016
One of my favorite movies
December 6, 2016
An interesting movie that makes you think outside the box, even if it's frustratingly obvious.