Stranger Than Fiction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stranger Than Fiction Reviews

January 14, 2017
I think this is one of the best movies ever made! story was really different and great. Filming was brilliant and the cast was perfect! loved it!
January 13, 2017
Great movie, great music. Will Ferrell actually can act; and even sing a little. Feel good movie that shows good guys can win.
½ January 4, 2017
Harold Crick (Will Ferrell) is an IRS agent whose mundane life is upended by an audit he's conducting on a free-spirited baker (Maggie Gyllenhaal). Unfortunately for him, Crick can hear his life being narrated by a reclusive author (Emma Thompson) who's planning to kill him off in the final chapter. Stranger Than Fiction has a terrific premise, but its metafictional underpinnings are further bolstered by dry humor, a surreal tone, and subtle performances from Ferrell, Thompson, and a supporting cast that includes good turns from Dustin Hoffman, Queen Latifah, and Tony Hale. The outre aspects of this film are wrapped in more conventional trappings, but that doesn't stop Stranger Than Fiction from being either funny or affecting.
½ December 16, 2016
Well, I'll be damned. I actually liked a movie starring Will Farrell. No, scratch that, I actually liked Will Farrell in a movie. Maggie Gyllenhaal even, I mean... What is this world coming to?!

An unexpected recommendation on my part but a fierce one nonetheless because this is a small, hidden gem of superb acting and interesting premise which, okay, doesn't always deliver and at times it verges on the contrived and the twee but... it's a Ferrell movie. And it's good!

And if you still need convincing, Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman.

There. Enjoy.
December 9, 2016
One of my favorite movies
December 6, 2016
An interesting movie that makes you think outside the box, even if it's frustratingly obvious.
½ November 27, 2016
I hate Will Farrell until now. WOW! What a performance and very out-of-sorts for him. This is a very good movie that is cute, funny and heart-warming. A new "must see" for my recommendation list
November 16, 2016
One of my favourite films, light hearted, great graphics, location shots of Chicago are excellent, characterisations excel. Makes me feel good.
½ October 29, 2016
Too slow paced for my liking.
½ October 11, 2016
A really good movie with a really lame ending. A really good premise, that doesn't feel completely fleshed out. It's still really good, but I was wanting just a bit more out of it.
½ September 17, 2016
Stranger than Fiction succeeds as reasonably intelligent if popcornish entertainment. It's romance plot veers dangerously toward hipster-falls-in-love-with-Mr.Boring cliché, but the narrative themes (by which I mean the themes about narrative) are interesting and Will Ferrell is refreshing in this more subdued form. It doesn't push a big message but keeps the mood light and contemplative and achieves what it sets out to be, even if what it achieves is (deliberately) not exactly world-view-changing.
September 15, 2016
This movie is like marmelade, some people will like others will hate, but despite the not compelling narrative and the apathetic Will Ferrel's performances in the end of the day it is a different, original and surprising movie that has a clever way to end.
August 14, 2016
Despite a very slow start, this is quite a solid film - with an interesting and quirky plotline. A film that makes you think. Solid performances by both lead actors, Emma Thompson and Will Ferrell
½ August 12, 2016
Very silly and deep comedy drama, amazing performance by Will Ferrell.
½ August 6, 2016
Little known fact: I also have a narrator narrating my life. I don't have a magical watch, however, although the rate at which my wallet fills and then empties itself is pretty amazing in its own right. Solidly casted, Will Ferrell especially caught my fancy - he played his role to perfection. At times, though, everything in this movie worked out just a little too conveniently for my tastes.
July 21, 2016
Nicely woven story. Maggie and Will are a great non-match, and each give great performances. The Thompson and Hoffman characters seems a little naff and over played, which is perhaps not what one would expect given they are both more thespian in a traditional sense than the others. Very watchable, more than once or twice for me.
July 14, 2016
exelent movie! fantastic!" great! and will acts so good here!
½ July 13, 2016
Not your typical Will Ferrell movie and I think that's why I like it so much. Definitely comedy, but a different type. Not at all like "Old School" or "Talladega Nights". A different kind of humor so don't expect the same old thing. This is actually one of my favorite Will Ferrel movies and great performance by Maggie Gyllenhaal. Very original story.
May 25, 2016
I am not fan of Will Ferrell but in this he does the acting thing! It's a beautiful film.