Stripes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stripes Reviews

March 8, 2017
Best comedy film of all time...ALL TIME

If you don't fall in love with this film check your hearts still beating.

A cast that all went on to be superstars and the loveable John Candy the cherry on top of the cake

I love this film so much
March 3, 2017
brilliant cast and slapstick
January 27, 2017
Very funny. I still enjoy watching it today. Fun to see Murray, Ramis and John Candy so young.
January 24, 2017
Just watched this again after many years and absolutely loved it. I really miss these kinds of movies!
½ January 8, 2017
Hilarious. It's funny how much of this still holds up. The end does drag on a little tough. I still think it should have ended at the graduation ceremony...
November 17, 2016
Hilarious! Bill steps it up here.
½ November 9, 2016
I expect this film was better in the 80s. Great cast of all the good 80s actors. Funny in parts but not great comedy. The best bit was the mud wrestling. An ok watch but not as good as I hoped
September 26, 2016
A ridiculous story but with moments of great silly jolly fun.
½ September 16, 2016
Few funny parts, liked nerd guy from ghostbusters best. Inaccurate, makes army look weak, portrays CPT as a dud
August 19, 2016
Murray, who shined in his role of a groundskeeper in "Caddyshack", fails to find the same likability he had in his previous movie. The comedy is about a misfit in charge of a bunch of idiots in the military. As far as military comedies are concerned, this one is nothing new and feels more like an adolescent male version of "Private Benjamin".
July 26, 2016
I think there's still a lot of room for improvement and I'm slowly but surely getting the hang of businesses online. Best days for the project still way ahead. Cooperation is key
July 25, 2016
They don't make em like they used to
June 1, 2016
One of Bill Murray's best performances and has so many classic routines, the rest of the cast does a great job with their roles, especially Harold Ramis, John Candy and Warren Oates, unfortunately the movie gets a little uneven after the graduation scene but the first hour are on par with the best comedies.
April 24, 2016
If you haven't seen it and you're not sure if you want to, stop reading right now and sit down for an evening of silly nostalgic humour.

For those of you have seen it, you know how much this film has to offer in hilarity. Filmed just a year before I was born, this movie was always on the shelf at home, and when the parents were out, my brothers and I would put this on and laugh our butts off! Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, John Candy, and plenty of other well known actors started their cinema roots with this off kilter homage to a military that was still pristine in image and was known for making men out of even the most wimpy souls in America.

If you had nowhere else to go, no ambition, or nothing better to do, the army would put you through basic and make a man out of you! It was the perfect stage for a comedy like this one. A bunch of life's miscreants join up for their own individual and mostly stupid reasons, and come together to form one of the worst, miss-guided and downright terrible troops the U.S military ever produced. Not for lack of trying however, it's just... when you get bunch of lemons, it's hard to make champagne.

The jokes are silly of course, some fall flat, and most are out dated by most comedic standards, but that is what makes it so damn good! And for some reason this movie has like... 6 acts (It's a bit like 2 movies in one to be honest, the original in the first half, and a sequel covering the second half of the film). Yet it still holds its edge and lightheartedness against the rude and crude comedies of the 2000 era.

Grab a few beers, sit down, and try to remember that there was life before nightly terrorism updates, mortgage bubbles, and Justin Bieber. Simply Class.

3/5
½ April 24, 2016
4.5/5. My favorite Bill Murray movie.
½ March 8, 2016
Stripes 1981

Starts with an army recruitment Commercial that is set in what looks to be in Vietnam.

Billy Murray starts off as a Taxi cub driver. Who is a photographer taking photos of customers in taxi while driving a taxi.

A Rustle teaching basic English in foreign language but has never taught the class before.

Bill Muray stops in the middle of a high traffic bridge in the city.

Next we see him with pizzas and someone takes his car because behind in payments.

Bill Murray as John quit his job and find his girl with pictures he took of her in the apartment.

His girl leaves and John plays baker Ball in his apartment and throws basketball out his apartment window.

They keep braking windows.

Army only way to get out of failure.

Ox Dewey Huxbucky John Candy ask female MP'S "Excuse me stewardess is there a movie on this flight."

Welcome to Fort Arnold

Join army it's free a way to loose weight.

Pacifist never hit anyone in anger.
I will be behind you

Chicks dig don't wear underwear stories you tell. I volunteer leadership to team.
Round of applause to sergeant

Cast is mostly made up off big Saturday Night live actors of late 70's.

Jack and Jerry's CafĂ (C) Bar club Women in mud wrestling in a club. Then Dewey Huxbucky John Candy pays money to mud up bikini women in mud. Before MP's arrive.

Actor who plays Billy from Beverly Hills Cop wears Death before Disco sweater.

General Banekey gone for two weeks.

We are American dogs. all different but loyal. old Yeller. Do what I do. Follow what I do.

Urban assault vehicle with armor and missiles. RV is secret weapon in Italy. All terrain vehicle.

Take RV to Germany

Americans borax in search for RV go into Russian Checslovokia boarder and cross barricades.

Far fetched and not like army. It was a cheesy film that I did not find too funny. Often what I found funny were the far fetched ideas of what the army would do or get away with. Often I got no laugh or a light chuckle. I was disappointed. I was expecting with how many said this was great that it would be a much better film.
February 28, 2016
Another Ivan Reitman classic... great cast, Murray & all... RIP to Harold Ramis... comedic legend.
February 6, 2016
ivan reitman doesn't disappoint with this one funny great characters and supporting
February 2, 2016
A pair of drop outs join the army and so ensues some comic capers at the hands of Bill Murray, John candy and Harold ramis.
½ January 8, 2016