The Stunt Man Reviews

• Aug 29, 2019

Quite original, fast-paced, entertaining tale with some black humor; Peter O'Toole's performance is outstanding.

• Oct 24, 2018

Great mind-bending movie. Highly recommended for anyone who really likes film - just don't take it too seriously, or you'll miss the fun.

• Aug 06, 2018

In my opinion, one of the two greatest movies - ever. Probably not a coincidence that my other choice of the two greatest movies also starred Peter O'Toole (That would be The Lion In Winter.) Stunt Man is one of the darkest of dark comedies and features top level performances from O'Toole, Steve Railsback and Barbara Hershey and a screenplay with surprises around every corner. The supporting roles, by players as diverse as Alex Rocco, Sharon Farrell, Phillip Bruns and true stunt master Chuck Bails, clearly take their cues from the leads and all turn out Oscar worthy (though overlooked) performances.

• Feb 01, 2018

The lines get blurred between what's real and what's a gag as a tyrannical director orchestrates chaos on a movie set to make a masterpiece. Peter O'Toole chews the scenes deliciously, as he tends to do, and his relationship with Railsback makes this movie very entertaining.

• Jan 05, 2018

Peter O'Toole is so delightful in this it's hard to think of anything else about the film. He straight up lights up every scene he's in. I can't think of a scene that makes me happier than watching him being lowered slowly into frame on that lift chair, bouncing around characters as he argues with them. Like *chef finger kiss* This is such a great little film-what a bizarre premise with such an off-kilter sense of dark humor. It feels like a fun house, and not just because of the rollicking circus-esque music. I was kept on my toes as much as the film crew in the movie, O'Toole walks that line of benevolent dictator so well you genuinely don't know what to expect from him. This movie can be straight up mean at times but it does it in such an unabashed and joyful way you can't help but laugh with it. The camera work is also particularly stunning for the most part, with amazing use of color, lighting and reflections in key scenes. Steve Railsback is unfortunately the weakest link... I can't help but think they should have cast more of a comedian. Like Alan Arkin could have crushed it and held his own against O'Toole. Oh well. All in all, pretty delightful. A meaner, post-Vietnam 8 1/2, in a way. I wouldn't mind rewatching this in a theater. Quote of the film: "I hope this doesn't fuck up our relationship, you being alive and all."

• Jul 25, 2017

An energetic, witty, winking delight about equal parts faith and fools. O'Toole reportedly based his performance on David Lean, though the end result is closer in tone to a Mazursky film.

• Jun 23, 2017

Cool story as a guy is chased for shooting a man and on the run he stumbles into a filmset. There, the director takes him in as a stuntman. Weird and different and one of the better "a film within a film" flicks that's out there. Weirdly paced - the mix of "reality" and film is at times superslow, or sometimes very rushed. O'Toole looks like a God, a true leader - not the nicest one, but a perfectoionist flying around in his director crane, making this artsy, randomly created film that looks improvised - while our guys paranoia increases. At times very hard to follow and there's many layers here - I'm sure it can be analyzed to bits, but I surely won't. I will send props to the actors though, it's lovely acted out. Not a funny film, really, not action filled either - well in away, but it's just on sets when shooting action scenes. It's a bit of everything really being very original and impossible to fit into one category. It's sadly way too long, even if it's rearly boring - I wanted to speed up the pace near the end, though. A film like no other, it's like a big goofball trying to make something serious in some unserious surroundings. This ludicrous film may put you in trance or annoy you, it certainly won't be remembered as straight forward. 7 out of 10 women in trunks.

• May 11, 2017

A hidden gem that refuses to be pigeonholed, a movie within a movie and possibly the best movie ever about the art of trickery called movie-making. This movie is essentially about three things: mind tricks, stunts and Peter O'Toole. I love all three, so it's on my top list. Flawed? Yes! Self-aware? Yes! Still a masterpiece? Definitely!

• Mar 31, 2016

It was a bit boring for me...

It was a bit boring for me...

• Feb 22, 2016

Peter O'Toole should have won the Oscar.

Peter O'Toole should have won the Oscar.