Sully - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sully Reviews

February 16, 2019
Sully went from a moving story to a dark and unrealistically dreary movie when seen on a DVD. I know the story, I followed the events as it unfolded via TV and Newpapers (you know, 'fake news') and with pilots in my family, the theme hits home. I am in medicine and there are multiple drills we practice occasionally to annually - everyone know CPR and such - but we even review biohazard and radiation exposure scenarios, mass casualty scenarios, etc. Pilots do the same thing, consider the unthinkable, and then perform the "Grand Rounds" or the debriefing review of the events when and if they should happen. In medicine, it is a monthly review of all the reported good and bad.

This movie was a dark, non-linear review of one event juxtaposing perceived bad & good (NTSB investigation was rather unprofessional and antagonistic - you don't get to truth by concluding human error before knowing all the facts) and the few moments of private acclaim (I imagine all the passengers were thanking anyone in an airline uniform as soon as they were safe aboard another vessel feeling rescued) along with the acclaim we all saw during the coverage after the event. I liked the bar scene where the grey goose and a splash of water cocktail was highlighted. I, along with many other people, would still like to buy the flight crew a celebratory drink.

From the pilots I know and trust, the cockpit conversations were too soon. You don't take off and climb without engine noise, with calm skies and waxing philosophic on how this is so beautiful, you have flaps, landing gear, monitoring the trim and headings, listening to tower chatter and responding to the somewhat dry heading changes as you leave the very controlled airport pathways. If this were not a human interest story of great significance for me, I'd have given one star for Clint Eastwood's vision, as dark and uninspiring as his empty chair speech.

The little human interest highlights - the fresh sandwich from the airport concession in a familiar and friendly manner - the ferry pilot tending to business and getting updates on passengers and radio-traffic on the river - the police helicopter crew bs'ing as they check their equipment and settle into another boring day - the sight-seeing helicopter watching events unfold and responding to air traffic control - and the air traffic control scenes. All give a realistic feeling and view of events unfolding.

Yes, in circumstances when you are on watch and invest in an outcome (the air traffic controller) you do need to sit down, to be ready to debrief in an official meeting with transcripts and event logs - very true to life. I don't know if there are spare ATC to step in and take over in the tower, but I hope cost cutting doesn't remove that level of redundancy.

The dis-jointed non-linear style works, although darkly. You see how a dedicated professional can focus on the job at hand, and sometimes their ego takes over. There are heroic pilots who have stayed at the controls flying the plane as best they could until the moment of impact, very few live to tell their story. Sully is one of the talented but lucky 200 or so who have walked away after the unthinkable.

Why the investigation was portrayed so antagonistically, why the dark theme was so pervasive, why the joy and relief among family and friends was not equally juxtaposed against the fear and dread? I don't know. The father and sons who were separated, the singular concern of the father - nice touch but that was the only one where resolution seemed happy. A few more phone calls (yes, we had semi-smart phones then) to answer machines saying "we may die" followed by the rescued people phoning "I am safe" would have carried a poignant but happier overtone than how dark the movie seems.

I wanted to see more of my uncle and cousins in the movie - I saw glimpses of those accomplished pilots in both the event scenes and in the prequel scenes of first flying and marine maneuver flying. The care to make sure no one was stuck in a seat, the questioning of the number rescued, and the repeat nightmares along with the elevated heart rate give a glimpse of the PTSD that all onboard must have dealt with afterward.

PTSD is a dark and terrifying loss of self - the world you know is no longer knowable, it is foreboding when you hear or feel triggers, when you go to sleep, when you find your body recoiling from stress. That was the only darkness worth seeing in the movie, and the overwhelming darkness was only lightened by the last scene of Sully "I am your captain", his wife, & the passengers. That very short, very redemptive moment raised my one star to 3 and a half.
January 28, 2019
I like what Eastwood did with the structure. He doesn't spent the first half of the movie showing the disaster then the second half showing the aftermath. There is tension here beyond just the crash (or water landing). The NTSB simulation scenes were very interesting. I'm not sure if the NTSB was like that in real life, but I did think they were played a little too antagonistically here. I also thought the relationship between Sully and his wife was a little underdeveloped. But those are small issues in what otherwise was a very solid movie.
January 27, 2019
A beautiful and powerful film that brings a real life situation to the screen.

Tom Hanks stars in this thrilling portrait of heroic airline pilot Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, re-enacting his incredible successful emergency landing of an Airbus A320 full of passengers on the Hudson River.

This movie has been out for a few years now, but I hadn't had the opportunity to watch it until recently. Tom Hanks is one of those guys where you know his films will probably be pretty good, at the least, and while I didn't love this film, it was certainly well made.

One thing that really stood out to me was Tom Hanks performance. I think that he really brought out the psychological stakes that were present here and he gave us a character to care about. He alone brought so much to this film, but he was accompanied by some other great performances - like Aaron Eckhart.

The story is told in a semi non-linear fashion, which I wasn't completely on board with. I think the story, overall, was well written, but it wasn't my favorite. It felt like we were jumping all around the place and the jumps felt kind of out of place. It felt like there wasn't a steady pace and that was my main issue with this film.

Despite that being said, "Sully" is still a great film. It has its issues and it's not perfect, but it's well made.
½ January 27, 2019
Okay I guess, just not a very compelling character arc (ie not a very dynamic journey for the lead - he was right, he was sure he was right, he missed his wife, he was proven right).
January 15, 2019
A beautifully crafted round for Clint Eastwood which proves that even 208 seconds can turn into a well directed movie. Tom Hanks gives a compelling performance as a humble but thoughtful man who knows what is right. Eastwood's vision in the story is clear and rational. The movie makes perfect transitions between post event and current event. The supporting cast is also crafted and compelling as they know what is going on, and display how they feel in a way that accurately displays how someone who was I the cockpit would react differently than someone who was nowhere near what happened. The movie also has pretty well done special effects, and the movie is more believable in that way. Even if the watcher is an action fan, it is far from boring, because I am an action movie fan. Fans of all genres will love and appreciate Sully. Overall, it is a well directed, well acted, and realistic movie in many aspects. I would seriously recommend it, and it is absolutely worth watching.
January 6, 2019
Nicely made drama bends the real events into a story, in which the hero is forced to vindicate himself confronted with bureaucratic antagonism.
½ December 23, 2018
By now everyone reading this review would be somewhat aware of the Miracle on the Hudson. This film is based on the hero of that incident- the Captain Sullenberg. Featuring another solid performance by the ever-versatile Tom Hanks and careful direction by Clint Eastwood, Sully is an interesting look into the psyche of an everyday man who inadvertently becomes a hero. The audience always feels connected to Sully's plight as a reluctant target of the media and the post-traumatic stress he goes through in the aftermath of the crash. The only major issue I had with the film is that the supporting characters did not have much to work with. It just seemed like most of their dialogue was there merely to enhance the character development of Sully himself rather than to bring a different perspective to the story. (Incredible look at a hero's moment of valor).
½ December 15, 2018
No easy feat to tell a story everyone knows turned out happily in an interesting and exciting way. Eastwood manages by not giving a shit about chronology, finding just the right emotions and being able to rely on one of the most convincing actors working today. It's also a movie about New York coming together again and healing after events that did not end quite as well a few years earlier.
December 1, 2018
I spent 14 years of my life as a member of the flight crew on a major airline. This film is awesome. I have no words - it is as near to a perfect depiction of real life as you could hope for. What else can one say?
November 13, 2018
So many leading roles like: FG, Castaway, Capt. Phillips, Bridge of Spies, Sully, Pvt. Ryan, accentuate the acting abilities of Tom Hanks. This movie reminded me of the same method Eastwood used on 15:17 to Paris which was also a true story of incredible heroism. The actual flight which landed in the Hudson took such a short time that I'm surprised that the investigation was so lengthy. It was perfect piloting which saved all 155 souls on this aircraft. In 2009 it was a blessing, I can't believe it was 10-years ago almost. Short film, easy to watch and understand, I recommend it.
½ October 24, 2018
Tom Hanks brilliant as usual! Really good watch
½ September 9, 2018
Sully is a film that I suggest everyone see this year in cinemas. It is a true story of courage, wisdom and the story of man who made the biggest choice of his life... within a matter of seconds. Please don't let the fact that this film is based on a true story keep you away from seeing this film.
- Finesse Movie Reviews
½ August 23, 2018
Boring, obvious, no suspense and such a pathetic portrayal even the bloke it was based on thought it wasn't acceptably realistic.
August 22, 2018
The story itself is very simple and mercifully, Eastwood doesn't make this film longer than it needs to be. It is nicely filmed, well-cast and scripted. It is also very polished in that syrupy, feel good, semi-preachy Hollywood kind of way. I was a bit disappointed knowing that Eastwood was the director. Somehow, I expected something more substantial and raw from him versus something safe and full of sheen.
July 28, 2018
This movie pays wonderful homage to Captain Sully, and allows the viewer to see what happened in the cockpit and in the cabin.
½ July 22, 2018
An inspiring movie about a real-life hero who saved his passengers using his decades of expertise and calm composure under pressure. We could all learn something from this man, and I am glad that the versatile actor Tom Hanks played the main role!

This is one of the best movies I have seen this year.
July 18, 2018
Pese a lo básico que llega a hacer este guion Clint eastwood logra hacer un gran trabaja de la mano de Tom hanks regalándonos una historia sencilla pero con mucho contenido enriquecedor ,la magnifica figura de heroe que plasman es increíble.
July 1, 2018
Great story.. Very well done. Tom Hanks is a great actor
June 24, 2018
This movie is highly entertaining, yet not too scary. It is well directed and acted. It kept me entertained and made me cry, laugh, and smile a lot!